Ruby Princess Vancouver Drydock

Off Shore

I was recently on the Ruby, and overall she looks great! Staff said they had heard there will be some renovations done to accommodate the new Curtis Stone venue, also.

If Princess is reading, though, one thing that appears long overdue is new/recovered seat cushions in the HC. The vinyl cushions on many of the dining chairs are worn and cracking to the point of being uncomfortable, not just unattractive. I had to switch chairs more than once due to this. Please add this to the dry-dock list, if not on it already :). I mentioned it on my review, but I have never had one responded to, so don't know if anyone really reads them.

Edited by SoCal Cruiser78

If they are adding the new Curtis Stone specialty dining, then what are they taking out? Does anyone know? We just booked the Ruby for Alaska in June and we'll be getting the free specialty dining as part of the 3 for free promotion. I hope they aren't replacing the Crown Grill.

Hi,

Sabatini's is being replaced by the new restaurant. I will be cruising aboard the Ruby Princess (Nov. 8 - 15, 2015) shortly before the refit.

Chuck

Thanks for the info! I'm sure there are many who will miss Sabatini's, but I think I'd prefer the menu at the Crown Grill.

Enjoy your Ruby cruise! You have much less time to wait than we do. :)

Hi,

Sabatini's is being replaced by the new restaurant. I will be cruising aboard the Ruby Princess (Nov. 8 - 15, 2015) shortly before the refit.

Chuck

Me too. I was hoping to get a look at SHARE (why all caps, Princess?) but I guess I'll have to wait. I don't think I want to eat there, but I do want to look.

• 2 months later...

I was also on the November 8th sailing. I was told along with replacing Sabatinis they would be replacing all the carpet

Does anyone know if they are adding a Alfredo's pizza......other than missing that, I thought the ship was in great shape and had a great crew

If Princess is reading, though, one thing that appears long overdue is new/recovered seat cushions in the HC. The vinyl cushions on many of the dining chairs are worn and cracking to the point of being uncomfortable, not just unattractive. I had to switch chairs more than once due to this. Please add this to the dry-dock list, if not on it already :). I mentioned it on my review, but I have never had one responded to, so don't know if anyone really reads them.

STOP. Stop the madness.

Cruise lines put ships in drydock for one reason and one reason alone: maintenance on the stuff that's almost always wet/submerged, but is far cheaper to maintain when dry. Cruise lines put ships into maintenance facilities (some wet, some dry) to replace engines and/or perform interior construction. Otherwise, cruise lines keep ships cruising. The ships have maintenance crews aboard, and the lines contract with shore personnel for projects during their time in port.

There is NO REASON that Princess needs to wait until drydock to replace chairs or chair cushions. NONE. Watch any TV documentary on cruising behind the scenes, and they'll show you how they can deliver a truckload of new mattresses, exchange them, and send off a truckload of old mattresses during embarkation. Whining about Princess not maintaining the chairs well is one thing, but whining that they should do it while in drydock is just going to burn any credibility you have with the cruise lines when it comes to getting them to listen to your commentary about the ship.

The Ruby was drydocked in Esquimalt which is a suburb of Victoria. She left the drydock yesterday and arrived Canada Place in Vancouver about 2300 last night. She had a pilot requested for 1600 today so likely she is underway to San Pedro.

Whining about Princess not maintaining the chairs well is one thing, but whining that they should do it while in drydock is just going to burn any credibility you have with the cruise lines when it comes to getting them to listen to your commentary about the ship.

I respectfully disagree with this unfounded opinion.

Many different cruiselines use scheduled drydocks as an opportunity to update furniture/new upholstery (as well as other furnishings such as carpets, curtains, sun loungers, wall coverings and........mattresses).

STOP. Stop the madness.

Cruise lines put ships in drydock for one reason and one reason alone: maintenance on the stuff that's almost always wet/submerged, but is far cheaper to maintain when dry. Cruise lines put ships into maintenance facilities (some wet, some dry) to replace engines and/or perform interior construction. Otherwise, cruise lines keep ships cruising. The ships have maintenance crews aboard, and the lines contract with shore personnel for projects during their time in port.

There is NO REASON that Princess needs to wait until drydock to replace chairs or chair cushions. NONE. Watch any TV documentary on cruising behind the scenes, and they'll show you how they can deliver a truckload of new mattresses, exchange them, and send off a truckload of old mattresses during embarkation. Whining about Princess not maintaining the chairs well is one thing, but whining that they should do it while in drydock is just going to burn any credibility you have with the cruise lines when it comes to getting them to listen to your commentary about the ship.

I respectfully disagree with this unfounded opinion.

Many different cruiselines use scheduled drydocks as an opportunity to update furniture/new upholstery (as well as other furnishings such as carpets, curtains, sun loungers, wall coverings and........mattresses).

Skai;

Ditto.....

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G

I can assure you that reupholstery was a key part of this refit; all of the MDR and HC seating has been freshened. Every public area and hallway has been freshly carpeted.

The ship looks spectacular and SHARE is much better than anticipated. Could not be happier.

While it is true that the main reason, as well as the legal reason, for drydocking a cruise ship is mechanical and hull maintenance below the waterline, most cruise lines utilize this time for refurbishments because they have unlimited access to all spaces for a couple of weeks.

Could they replace the chairs in the buffet while in service? Of course. Would it be cheaper to simply reupholster them? Don't know, but that is a decision the refurbishment team in corporate headquarters decides.

The renovations to the hotel areas are not done by shipyard workers, they simply don't have the skill set to get it done in time. The line will bring "tiger teams" that they keep employed for just these times, to do the refurbishments. I've been in shipyards where we took over one lounge and installed a power panel to power 60 commercial sewing machines and 8-10 bandsaws, and every bit of upholstered furniture was brought there and reupholstered in three weeks.

And, as someone who has stored a cruise ship during turn-around day, I can relate to the Executive Housekeeper on those shows about "behind the scenes", where they exchange mattresses. You will see in that footage that it requires days of planning and extra assistance from crew not normally assigned to housekeeping (and with the new work/rest hour restrictions, this means they cannot be doing other work in their assigned departments that is needed) to get everything staged and loaded/offloaded. During shipyard periods, most crew don't have to do their normal duties, so they are used to perform tasks like exchanging mattresses, moving furniture for upholstery or to allow carpeting, hanging new curtains and artwork, and cleaning up after the contractors.