Cost of visas onboard

Balloon Man

Does anybody know how much Oceania charges if they provide visas while on board? We haven't got visas for one of our ports-of-call in Tanzania because the British government web site says they are available to tourists "on arrival". But in case they are wrong .....

A circular from Oceania says they can be obtained on the ship with a fee charged to our stateroom.

You can check the web site with a dummy booking...

US - $199 pp

All Other $99 pp

I guess we Americans are special :D

So Oceania has almost a 100% mark-up (no surprise). From the Tanzania Embassy, Washington DC website:

• US Citizens:$100 (Multiple entry) for one year
  • Non-US Citizens:$50 (Single entry) for six months
  • Non-US Citizens:$100 (Double entry) for six months

So Oceania has almost a 100% mark-up (no surprise). From the Tanzania Embassy, Washington DC website:

• US Citizens:$100 (Multiple entry) for one year
  • Non-US Citizens:$50 (Single entry) for six months
  • Non-US Citizens:$100 (Double entry) for six months

Yes but in that case -- still cheaper than using a visa service and certainly more convenient.

For Turkey -- O charges $49 for the$20 Visa stamp (or e-visa). But that is business..

Just had an email from the Tanzanian Embassy in London that says visas are available at the port when passengers exit the ship. It also says on their UK web site that visas are available at border crossings, but I checked, just to be sure.

Just had an email from the Tanzanian Embassy in London that says visas are available at the port when passengers exit the ship. It also says on their UK web site that visas are available at border crossings, but I checked, just to be sure.

Be very careful expecting to get you visa as you exit the ship. Believe Oceania will need to confirm you have a Visa as you board or agree that you will allow them to procure your visa for you.

Would be a real mess when clearing the ship if many people don't have visas. Also, it has also been published that you have to have a visa even if you don't plan to get off the ship in a port requiring visas.

We will be aboard Nautica with a stop in Tanzania in November and decided we'd just stay aboard the ship so wouldn't need a visa. Figured $199 each was ridiculously expensive for 6 hours ashore when we probably wouldn't see anything new or exciting. Oceania gave us some grief about needing one in case of emergency medical needs, so I called the Tanzania Embassy. I was advised that we could get one ashore if we needed one. I think we'd do a medivac helicopter to Johannesburg rather than getting medical care in Tanzania! When I advised Oceania of what the Embassy told me, they backed off. So no Tanzania visa for us and we'll just stay aboard the ship that day.

We will be aboard Nautica with a stop in Tanzania in November and decided we'd just stay aboard the ship so wouldn't need a visa. Figured $199 each was ridiculously expensive for 6 hours ashore when we probably wouldn't see anything new or exciting. Oceania gave us some grief about needing one in case of emergency medical needs, so I called the Tanzania Embassy. I was advised that we could get one ashore if we needed one. I think we'd do a medivac helicopter to Johannesburg rather than getting medical care in Tanzania! When I advised Oceania of what the Embassy told me, they backed off. So no Tanzania visa for us and we'll just stay aboard the ship that day.

You need to be extremely careful if you don't have it in writing and signed by someone high up like FDR. In the past information from customer service has been extremely spotty and since normally the people who check you in for your cruise are not Oceania employees and will probably make sure you have the passport or approve O charging you for the one they get or deny boarding. Also for ports like this, the ship generally gets a blanket visa for those aboard that is much less expensive than you getting the visa directly from the government.

Also, no way to know if this special request has gotten to the ship and you might just be waving from the dock as the ship sails.

Edited by rallydave

I don't believe that not getting a Visa is an option. Imagine the chaos of getting Port clearance if the ship needed to cater to the individual idiosyncrasies of 600+ people at each of a dozen ports.

We will be in Tanzania on Insignia soon and our Oceania invoice states: Tanzania - Transit Visa (all nationalities, if going ashore). So if you choose to remain on the ship, you don't need a visa. We plan to go ashore and purchased the visa through Oceania. We will also be in Kenya and their government website shows that a visa is not required for passengers who remain on the ship during a port call, even though Oceania shows it as a requirement. When I brought this to the attention of the visa department at Oceania, they confirmed that guests wishing to remain on board do not require a visa for Kenya. We had the Kenya visa fee removed from our invoice and will decide once aboard whether to go ashore. If we do go ashore, I confirmed that we can buy the visa onboard. I'm still betting we'll miss Mombasa and any visa fees will have to be refunded anyway.

I don't believe that not getting a Visa is an option. Imagine the chaos of getting Port clearance if the ship needed to cater to the individual idiosyncrasies of 600+ people at each of a dozen ports.

StanandJim: your words of wisdom are almost Gospel. But in this case may be Old Testament.

Visas for Kenya can be obtained on-line without any problem.

The Tanzania High Commission has told me in writing visas are available as you go ashore, as is the case in many countries.

The Mozambique tourist web site also says they are available at ports of entry. But I don't have confirmation of this.

Oceania say in an email that visas for these countries can be obtained on-board. At a ridiculous mark-up. But they are available. Presumably they obtain them at the port of entry? They certainly can't obtain them in advance once you are "on-board". QED.

All comments above refer to UK cruisers. It may be different for some countries.

Is anyone familiar with how much O would charge for a Brazilian visa? I just made our final payment on an Amazon cruise. The visa service, that we have used in the past, will charge us $529 for two visas. $185 pp for visa, $68 for their service and $19 for FedEx fees.

Just wondering what the cruise line would charge. Thanks for your help.

No cruise line will get you a visa for Brazil China or India. There may be more. They will recommend a service but take a share of the money and may or may not be cheaper than your price.

We've done Brazil and China and got them ourselves. $280 total for 2 Brazil. Two suggestions. You need to be near a city with a consulate or be willing to travel or price different agencies for the best price. Google is your friend and lots of choices out there.

Sorry I don't have a better answer

Edited by rallydave

Thanks, Dave. Your answer helps a lot. Now I know to start the process myself.

Thanks!!!!

FYI, Brazil is a bit trickey. Each consulate has their own rules and you have to use the consulate for where you live. Carefully read the requirements and strictly follow what they tell you to do. While at our consulate, saw several people sent away to get more information that the people didn't bring. We were lucky with the Houston consulate. In and out in 15 minutes and got our visa the same day. Most require 2 trips or the second one you can bring a self addressed postage paid envelope they specify to send yours back to you.

Like I said, they all march to their own beat and just because we got ours in 15 minutes, yours will most likely be completely different with many different requirements.

Good luck,

Hi Balloon Man. I used to be the Balloon Lady, a long time ago before helium balloons where available everywhere. It was fun home business of delivery balloon bouquets and cakes for special occasions.

Anyway, I am sure that we need visas for our Amazon cruise. I need to call O to ask them about it. I printed out the visa information and what a pain it is going to be to apply. Not only is it expense, but there are all sorts of rules and regulations depending on which American state you live in.

I guess we aren't close enough cousin to avoid this hassle

Are you certain you need a visa? Brits don't, and as close cousins ... ;)

Brazil instituted this policy in "retaliation" to US requiring visas and fingerprinting of Brazilian citizens visiting US.

Of course, Brazil never had or expects to have a 9/11 event - but that's another topic altogether. Also, how many US citizens wish to illegally remain in Brazil vs Brazilians remaining in US illegally?

Perhaps UK does not require visas for Brazilian citizens hence Brits don't need a visa to Brazil?

Edited by Paulchili

Hello,

I can confirm that as a Belgian citizen I don't need a visa for Brazil. I already made the cruise to the Amazon and we didn't need a visa. I heared stories from Americans on board that for some obtaining the visa for Brazil was not always easy.

So I think it is best to always check what regulations apply to you. I arranged for the visa for Tanzania, Kenia and Mozambique myself as they are much cheaper in Belgium than onboard. Also I received a message from Oceania that if I didn't have the visa in our passports when we board the ship, they would charge us for the visa on our onboard account.

Regards,

Sonja

Is anyone familiar with how much O would charge for a Brazilian visa? I just made our final payment on an Amazon cruise. The visa service, that we have used in the past, will charge us $529 for two visas. $185 pp for visa, $68 for their service and $19 for FedEx fees...
I see you are from Northern Virginia, and am assuming that you are a US citizen. Sorry, but I can't follow your math and no matter how I add your numbers I can't arrive at $529. I hopped the metro from Alexandria within the last month to the Brazilian Consulate in DC. Brazil charges US citizens $160pp for a tourist visa, NOT $185pp (see http://cgwashington.itamaraty.gov.br/en-us/visa_fees.xml ). If you carefully follow the instructions at http://cgwashington.itamaraty.gov.br/en-us/vitur_%28tourist_visa%29.xml (note that this is for the DC area consular district; rules vary by district) it was easy to do it yourself for two people for $328.75 ($160pp for visa, $1.50pp USPS money order fee, $5.75 for one USPS Priority mail trackable envelope). I was in and out of the Consular office in under 15 minutes. The visa is good for multiple entries for 10 years.

Thom

Congratulations on a 15 minute visit in D.C. Two years ago in NYC I had a wait of over an hour to talk to a clerk, first to submit my application and the second time to pick up our passports.

Mura

Congratulations on a 15 minute visit in D.C. Two years ago in NYC I had a wait of over an hour to talk to a clerk, first to submit my application and the second time to pick up our passports.
I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised - I had heard horror stories and prepared myself to wait for hours. At least in DC you are no longer allowed to pick up your passports; they have to be mailed back with a USPS trackable envelope provided by you.

Thom

Perhaps NY has changed their system in terms of returns by now as well, but I wouldn't find it too burdensome to have to provide a mailer. That would save me a subway trip anyway.

Mura