Will a Royal cruiser like Regal Princess?

yj2cute

I'm hoping some folks who have sailed both RCCL and Regal Princess can give me some insight. I'm planning a cruise for next year and generally sail on Royal, but I am open to other lines as well. I'm considering booking the Regal Princess repo cruise out of NY next October. My last Princess cruise was on the Caribbean Princess. There were many things we enjoyed on that cruise but the production shows and headliners were a real snoozer and that's one of the things I enjoy about Royal. I also see that the Regal doesn't have an enclosed swimming pool, which means it may be very crowded inside the ship for the first few days.

I don't necessarily need bumper cars or ice rinks, but I do enjoy the high energy entertainment and overall vibe on Royal's ships. Will we enjoy the Regal?

I'm hoping some folks who have sailed both RCCL and Regal Princess can give me some insight. I'm planning a cruise for next year and generally sail on Royal, but I am open to other lines as well. I'm considering booking the Regal Princess repo cruise out of NY next October. My last Princess cruise was on the Caribbean Princess. There were many things we enjoyed on that cruise but the production shows and headliners were a real snoozer and that's one of the things I enjoy about Royal. I also see that the Regal doesn't have an enclosed swimming pool, which means it may be very crowded inside the ship for the first few days.

I don't necessarily need bumper cars or ice rinks, but I do enjoy the high energy entertainment and overall vibe on Royal's ships. Will we enjoy the Regal?

He Yael! :) You know me and you know we have similar cruise tastes. As you know, I'm a huge RCI fan and like you, before going on Regal, my last Princess experience was on the Caribbean. So I think my expereince and opinions on Regal will be very similar to what you would feel on board.

Even though this is the Princess board, I have to be honest because I would be doing you a disservice if I wasn't. I didn't like Regal. First and foremost, the cabins are tiny and the balconies are downright pathetic. Unless you pay for an upgraded room, they don't have separate sitting areas, like a couch, like in all RCI cabins. On the balcony, you have to turn the chairs sideways or else your knees will be pressed up against the glass. My cruise was only 3 nights and both DW and I agreed we would have hated our standard balcony cabin on a longer cruise.

The next thing I didn't like is, Regal doesn't have a nice lounge that looks out to the sea. There isn't one single lounge on the ship with floor to ceiling windows. There's also a slew of other things I didn't like....like the lack of an outdoor promenade, Princess Live seemed like a senseless idea, the central stairway leads to a dead end at deck 7 and doesn't go up to the cabin decks, and the main theater had a lot of blind spots. The main pool and Sanctuary pool are extremely crowded, and the aft pool is in one of the ships very few smoking areas, so the stench is pretty heavy.

But Regal isn't completely bad. I think the decor is beautiful and the live entertainment in the Piazza was always really good. The MDR is 1000 times more comfortable than the cramped and crowded MDR on Caribbean. You don't feel like you're sitting with your neighbors. I also thought one of the main shows was really good....not RCI great, but still good. It was packed with modern music.

Given the choice, I would cruise Caribbean any day over Regal....and I thought Caribbean was just OK.

Edited by Aquahound

He Yael! :) You know me and you know we have similar cruise tastes. As you know, I'm a huge RCI fan and like you, before going on Regal, my last Princess experience was on the Caribbean. So I think my expereince and opinions on Regal will be very similar to what you would feel on board.

Even though this is the Princess board, I have to be honest because I would be doing you a disservice if I wasn't. I didn't like Regal. First and foremost, the cabins are tiny and the balconies are downright pathetic. Unless you pay for an upgraded room, they don't have separate sitting areas, like a couch, like in all RCI cabins. On the balcony, you have to turn the chairs sideways or else your knees will be pressed up against the glass. My cruise was only 3 nights and both DW and I agreed we would have hated our standard balcony cabin on a longer cruise.

The next thing I didn't like is, Regal doesn't have a nice lounge that looks out to the sea. There isn't one single lounge on the ship with floor to ceiling windows. There's also a slew of other things I didn't like....like the lack of an outdoor promenade, Princess Live seemed like a senseless idea, the central stairway leads to a dead end at deck 7 and doesn't go up to the cabin decks, and the main theater had a lot of blind spots. The main pool and Sanctuary pool are extremely crowded, and the aft pool is in one of the ships very few smoking areas, so the stench is pretty heavy.

But Regal isn't completely bad. I think the decor is beautiful and the live entertainment in the Piazza was always really good. The MDR is 1000 times more comfortable than the cramped and crowded MDR on Caribbean. You don't feel like you're sitting with your neighbors. I also thought one of the main shows was really good....not RCI great, but still good. It was packed with modern music.

Given the choice, I would cruise Caribbean any day over Regal....and I thought Caribbean was just OK.

Thanks, Paul. That's exactly what I needed to know. I wanted to know if foregoing my lounge privileges would be worth only a 1 way flight instead of roundtrip. It doesn't seem like it. Especially if the cost is the same. I probably would like to see Regal or Royal on a short sailing some day. Thanks so much for your input. What are you doing over here on the Princess boards? Booking another Princess cruise? :)

What are you doing over here on the Princess boards? Booking another Princess cruise? :)

No, not yet. I'm on HAL next month and Celebrity in December. Nothing booked after that. As for these boards, I've really expanded my horizons lately. ;):D

I would never ask for opinions on trying a cruise on RCL and decide against it based on one persons opinion.

That said, we had a most enjoyable cruise on the Regal and are looking forward to our next cruise on her in a couple months. OP....if you would like to read another review, I have a Regal review in my signature.

Sorry to hear you were so disappointed Aquahound.

I would never ask for opinions on trying a cruise on RCL and decide against it based on one persons opinion.

Ordinarily I would agree, but I'm not anonymous to the Op. We've cruised together, been on roll calls, and I know we have similar tastes in ships. My post wasn't just how I felt but how I predict she'll feel based on what I know about her. :)

I like Princess better than RCI. I have been on the Royal which is a sister ship to the Regal and enjoyed it better than I have on RCI but I have only been on voyager class ships. I think that Princess is more laid back than RCI. The service is certainly better on Princess and friendlier. I am not a fan of the royal class ships and prefer the Ruby/Emerald. There are a lot of plus and minus to both.

Wow. Lots of differing opinions, but that's what you'll find here. Look, it's all about what you make it. If you are open to the different styles and nuances of the various cruise lines and their ships you'll be fine. The Royal Class ships have some neat features that the Grand and Coral Class ships don't. Just have fun and make it your cruise.