Caribbean Tier Members

ravenscourt

Nobody is and I certainly wasnt on about leaving suitcases in car overnight. My post said when leaving hotel I either have to sit for 4 hrs from vacating my room in hotel lounge or as some have suggested go into Southampton at 10am and look around the shops. I do not think it would be very secure to park my car on a public car park with bags on show because not all my suitcases and luggage will fit into my boot. With reference a thief wouldnt want my suitcases full of dirty clothes is a silly statement because nobody knows what is in the bags and a thief would take a chance because I like many others take valuable electrical items onboard and dont fancy wandering around Southampton carrying these bags.

What you are not understanding though, is how are P & O supposed to be responsible for that and should they let you onboard early/first as you have to be out of your hotel at 10am. How do P & O police that ?

Many have the same issue, as I do coming a long way from Scotland.

What other excuses can people come up with on these boards for getting on early or before me say? Perhaps that's a new thread altogether.

We are all adults and jumping up and down about having to kill a few hours in Southamton is ridiculous. I find the hotels very obliging. They let me leave my luggage with them. I go and have a wander and brunch and before you know it, it's time for heading to the cruise port. :D

Can't believe we're now discussing our suitcases getting stolen in all of this.

:confused: I think P & O must be scratching their heads with that one.

The Duke of Wellington in Bugle Street is a very pleasant place to have a lunch and not far away from the Quay. Situated in a delightful part of the old walls in Southampton near St Michael's church. :)

Might have a look at that Scriv. it is good to have recommendations, thanks.:D

What you are not understanding though, is how are P & O supposed to be responsible for that and should they let you onboard early/first as you have to be out of your hotel at 10am. How do P & O police that ?

Many have the same issue, as I do coming a long way from Scotland.

What other excuses can people come up with on these boards for getting on early or before me say? Perhaps that's a new thread altogether.

We are all adults and jumping up and down about having to kill a few hours in Southamton is ridiculous. I find the hotels very obliging. They let me leave my luggage with them. I go and have a wander and brunch and before you know it, it's time for heading to the cruise port. :D

Can't believe we're now discussing our suitcases getting stolen in all of this.

:confused: I think P & O must be scratching their heads with that one.

P&O should police it, your phrase not mine, in the same way that any good holiday company should, and that is to provide their paying customers with the best possible service they can, so they come back time and again and tell all their friends and family what a great holiday they had.

This new system was brought in to improve the boarding process for passengers, their statement not mine. Clearly an untruth if you read all the various threads about this topic, since the majority view is that the current system, though flawed and inferior to most other cruise lines, is far better for the passengers than the proposed new one.

Therefore if its not to improve the service to passengers it must be to improve something for P&O, though what I have no idea.

Just another case of P&O customer service shooting itself in the foot for the umpteenth time.

P&O should police it, your phrase not mine, in the same way that any good holiday company should, and that is to provide their paying customers with the best possible service they can, so they come back time and again and tell all their friends and family what a great holiday they had.

This new system was brought in to improve the boarding process for passengers, their statement not mine. Clearly an untruth if you read all the various threads about this topic, since the majority view is that the current system, though flawed and inferior to most other cruise lines, is far better for the passengers than the proposed new one.

Therefore if its not to improve the service to passengers it must be to improve something for P&O, though what I have no idea.

Just another case of P&O customer service shooting itself in the foot for the umpteenth time.

Well said John.:)

I disagree because I do think they provide an excellent service and that's why I go back time and agin with family and friends.

A few threads on here only represents a small minority of P & O cruisers, so I don't think they'll take much notice. There is also some, like me, who welcome the new process.

Maybe though they have an ulterior motive in that they want to get rid of the old, (not people by the way), the whingers, the so called P & O stalwarts who object to change in any form. They look forward to all the new cruisers as they will only know the new process and are more likely to adhere to it. Win win situation for P&O I think.

Maybe though they have an ulterior motive in that they want to get rid of the old, (not people by the way), the whingers, the so called P & O stalwarts who object to change in any form. They look forward to all the new cruisers as they will only know the new process and are more likely to adhere to it. Win win situation for P&O I think.

I'm on Caribbean Tier and so may well be the kind of person about whom you refer as a P&O stalwart. However I would be extremely upset if you included me and my friends in the sweeping generalisation you made about the "old" P&O stalwarts. We have a ball on our cruises and we go with that in mind. However I will not pretend that it does not bother me am that I have cruised for 200+ nights with P&O and loyalty benefits are being withdrawn, not built on, to maintain our loyalty.

You cannot really believe that it is P&O's intention to rid itself of these people who are the mainstay of the line, particularly during the Winter season and who have supported P&O for years now. P&O does not want customers just because they adhere to the new process but wants passengers who return year after year. Many of us are also shareholders so have a vested interest in P&O making a healthy profit.

Edited by tartanexile81

I'm on Caribbean Tier and so may well be the kind of person about whom you refer as a P&O stalwart. However I would be extremely upset if you included me and my friends in the sweeping generalisation you made about the "old" P&O stalwarts. We have a ball on our cruises and we go with that in mind. However I will not pretend that it does not bother me am that I have cruised for 200+ nights with P&O and loyalty benefits are being withdrawn, not built on, to maintain our loyalty.

You cannot really believe that it is P&O's intention to rid itself of these people who are the mainstay of the line, particularly during the Winter season and who have supported P&O for years now. P&O does not want customers just because they adhere to the new process but wants passengers who return year after year. Many of us are also shareholders so have a vested interest in P&O making a healthy profit.

Tartanexile81, I am only Atlantic with P and O but I do think it is really bad that the loyal passengers are having their perks gradually taken away. Some do like to come on these threads and wind people up, sad really.

I disagree because I do think they provide an excellent service and that's why I go back time and agin with family and friends.

A few threads on here only represents a small minority of P & O cruisers, so I don't think they'll take much notice. There is also some, like me, who welcome the new process.

Have to agree with you. I don't think P&O are bothered whether they get the "old stalwarts" or the new cruisers. In fact the new cruisers are more likely to spend on excursions, photographs, new restaurants etc. Also, they don't get a percentage off their spend either.

I have been sailing with P&O for 7 years, but we also use Fred Olsen, so not loyal to P&O at all.

All a company wants to do is fill a ship. It wouldn't matter if they were newbies or loyalty members, no matter what the Peninsular blurb says.

they are a company, just trying to make a profit. Nothing more, nothing less.

Have to agree with you. I don't think P&O are bothered whether they get the "old stalwarts" or the new cruisers. In fact the new cruisers are more likely to spend on excursions, photographs, new restaurants etc. Also, they don't get a percentage off their spend either.

I have been sailing with P&O for 7 years, but we also use Fred Olsen, so not loyal to P&O at all.

All a company wants to do is fill a ship. It wouldn't matter if they were newbies or loyalty members, no matter what the Peninsular blurb says.

they are a company, just trying to make a profit. Nothing more, nothing less.

if the "old stalwarts didn't fill the ships out of Southampton from January till April every year then P&O would fold. If they want to retain these people they must show them that they value their custom not denude the benefits they offer. This makes sound economic sense. Businesses depend not not only attracting custom but, more significantly, on retaining it, and a profit-focused company like Carnival P&O knows this very well.

We've only been cruising since 2008 and are regular cruisers with different lines: Cunard, Celebrity, Princess, Fred Olsen (once only, never again as there were too many old stalwarts onboard) as well as P&O. However I DO consider myself loyal to P&O because they're my preferred line, they have lovely new ships and i will always return to them.

Edited by tartanexile81

Isn't it a theme thru every type of business now, no-one rewards loyalty, they are just interested in new business, be it car insurance, road-side recovery, etc. So you just have to beat them at their own game and get the best deal for yourself whoever it's with.

Isn't it a theme thru every type of business now, no-one rewards loyalty, they are just interested in new business, be it car insurance, road-side recovery, etc. So you just have to beat them at their own game and get the best deal for yourself whoever it's with.

Exactly and this is why I change all my insurances every year.

spot on. Energy, broadband, insurance of every kind. None of them give any loyalty perks. You have to start again or phone a special number to complain, then you get perks. I've just done it with BT! don't ask, don;t get.

Are you seriously telling me that you know for sure that 2000 plus passengers are all old stalwarts during the winter months? What utter rubbish. there might be 50 to 80 that you may have seen before, but not that many.

At most Captain's cocktail get togethers the Cruise director or Peninsular club host tells you just how many previous cruisers are on board, and they congratulate themselves on what a great cruise line they are with so many repeat customers. So yes Jean I imagine Tartanexile does know how many are on board.

But you are not losing your priority boarding.... You can still turn up when check in opens and be boarded quickly. What you are losing is your priority check in desk...not a bad thing as last time we had priority boarding via the separate desk, our friends boarded quicker than us as the q for priority boarding was so long.....

But you are not losing your priority boarding.... You can still turn up when check in opens and be boarded quickly. What you are losing is your priority check in desk...not a bad thing as last time we had priority boarding via the separate desk, our friends boarded quicker than us as the q for priority boarding was so long.....

I can assure you that when I contacted P&O they told me that you CANNOT just turn up when booking opens. I am expected to go to the port at the time it says on my e-ticket and from then I will be fast-tracked.

I can assure you that when I contacted P&O they told me that you CANNOT just turn up when booking opens. I am expected to go to the port at the time it says on my e-ticket and from then I will be fast-tracked.

So this implies that Caribbean grade only get priority boarding within their timeslot and not as recent posts suggest that the old priority boarding as soon you turn up still exists.

Does anyone know the definitive position on this ?

Someone has just posted on another forum that their friends arrived at the port at 12:30 with a check in time of 3 pm. They told the lady at the top of the escalator that they were Caribbean and were given a grey boarding card with Letter P on it. The Grey Priority cards started at letter N. They were on board by 1:15 and the embarkation buffet lunch was held in Sindhu.

My own assumption from this is that Suites and Ligurian get Priority letter N, Baltic letter O and Caribbean letter P.

Sue

Someone has just posted on another forum that their friends arrived at the port at 12:30 with a check in time of 3 pm. They told the lady at the top of the escalator that they were Caribbean and were given a grey boarding card with Letter P on it. The Grey Priority cards started at letter N. They were on board by 1:15 and the embarkation buffet lunch was held in Sindhu.

My own assumption from this is that Suites and Ligurian get Priority letter N, Baltic letter O and Caribbean letter P.

Sue

Thanks Sue, that is what has been implied in recent posts. I can only assume that Tartanexile81 has been given wrong information by P&O which is not unusual !

Are you seriously telling me that you know for sure that 2000 plus passengers are all old stalwarts during the winter months? What utter rubbish. there might be 50 to 80 that you may have seen before, but not that many.

Most passengers would need to be retired or ladies/gentlemen of leisure to be able to sail that length of time as it is a big chunk out of annual leave. This does make the age group 'old' as previousy described.:(

I think P&O need all sorts of passengers, and I really don't think they discriminate. Also those of us with more disposable income to spend onboard today whilst we are still working, are the pensioners of tomorrow. Due to a number of pension related issues affecting those of us who are middle aged we are likely to have even less disposable income than current pensioners, or pensioners in generations below us. I think I will certainly be cruising less in years to come...

Sue

Yes Yes Yes

Just how many times do people have to told on here that Caribbean + can turn up and get priority check in before main check in starts! IF you turn up after main check in starts, Caribbean + get Fast Tracked. The only way you miss out on Priority is if the person in the cabin with you is below Caribbean.:(

I do apologise for using the word 'old'. It wasnt meant in any derogatory term to the older generation that cruise. I thoroughly enjoy having a right mixed bag of ages onboard and I totally agree that the older generation are definitely the one's having a ball. They make me smile and laugh all at once.

Stalwarts can be any age. It really depends on how long they have been cruising. Sorry for any offence. X