No sports after 6:00PM on the Ruby

Ronnieslady

This is just a heads up to you, that will be going on the Ruby, that there is no sports of any kind after 6:00 PM. No ping pong or basketball or golf after 6:00PM.

They took out the suffleboard completely:mad: We really enjoyed playing some of those things after dinner. My DH is really disappointed. He now tells me don't book anymore cruises on the Ruby.

We are on board right now. Doing a BtoB for a total of 19 days, Cal. Coastal & Hawaii R/T LA. I talked to the assistant CD today about this & he said it is not fleet wide. It is just the Ruby.

This is just a heads up to you, that will be going on the Ruby, that there is no sports of any kind after 6:00 PM. No ping pong or basketball or golf after 6:00PM.

They took out the suffleboard completely:mad: We really enjoyed playing some of those things after dinner. My DH is really disappointed. He now tells me don't book anymore cruises on the Ruby.

We are on board right now. Doing a BtoB for a total of 19 days, Cal. Coastal & Hawaii R/T LA. I talked to the assistant CD today about this & he said it is not fleet wide. It is just the Ruby.

Did the assistant CD give a reason?

Are you sure the shuffleboard is gone?

On its twins (Crown and Emerald), it was very hard to find, on a rear outside stairway just forward of Skywalkers.

025122109Shuffleboarddeck18100_8385_zps03be15bb.jpg

Looks small....and not in a great location

That sucks:rolleyes:

COP

Did the assistant CD give a reason?

Sorry it took so long to response back. Yes, he said it is due to thief of the equipment. And for the Ping Pong (there is only one table) it is right over the cabins on deck 15 & that they were getting complaints of the noise from people in the cabins below.

Today someone told us that the people from the cabin below had had it from all the noise & they came & took all the paddles away themselves & this was at 4:00 PM. I thought this was kind of early to be complaining of the noise.

I do understand about the noise that is why we would never book a suite on deck 14. We all know about how they move all the deck chairs for cleaning @ about 4:30 in the morning right above you.

As far as the suffleboard is concerned the assistant CD said it was removed, so we really have not looked for it, but we did go to that area that was suggested in the above post, but it is not there, as it is on the Crown.

Everything else is great. Food is fine. Not impressed with this CD. He likes to sing & dance. He thinks he is Tom Jones. We have had much better CDs, but that is for a different topic.

Grace

Before the Sanctuary replaced the Sports Court on the Sapphire, we had booked the Thermal Suite. It was right below the Sports Court. It was hard to relax on the heated tile beds when you heard the thunk, thunk of basketball or paddleball above your head. That was a poor design [emoji33]

The photo of the shuffleboard court shows that Princess has the layout backwards. The pyramid should be the opposite way--with the point toward where the players shoot the biscuits and the 10-off trapezoid closer to the wall.

Well this information is enough for us not to book the Ruby anymore. As a family, we REALLY enjoy playing shuffleboard at sunset and our 23 yr. old son lives for sports. He wants to be playing ping pong, basketball and golf as late as 9 or 10pm. I don't see how ping pong can be that noisy. The ball is hollow and people aren't running.

If they want to know what real noise is, try being in a full suite with the jogging track directly above you. :eek:

Hi Ronnieslady,

We are doing the rt LA to Hawaii on Dec. 18th. We are very curious to know how your crossing was. We saw that a storm crossed your path. Did it affect your weather or the seas very much? Aloha and good sailing.

Rick & Jenny

Although interesting, it won't impact us on our next couple of cruises that we have scheduled on the Ruby. We just don't go on cruises to play pingpong, shuffleboard or basketball. We have tried these activities at one time or another on cruises, but, not doing them is more the norm for us. Sorry for those who enjoy these activities. However, if people are running off with equipment then the activities still will not be available. Pretty low for someone to take pingpong paddles. If it is strictly a noise issue for those below I can understand the cabin occupants' frustration.

Happy sailing whatever ship you choose to go on.

Hi Ronnieslady,

We are doing the rt LA to Hawaii on Dec. 18th. We are very curious to know how your crossing was. We saw that a storm crossed your path. Did it affect your weather or the seas very much? Aloha and good sailing.

Rick & Jenny

Although not Ronnieslady (or any other lady for that matter) I can tell you that our Hawaii cruise two years ago just a couple weeks before your scheduled date and on the Star was a little rough and cool the first three days. When I say rough, it was not very bad most of the time, but, a couple of days for a few hours you definitely felt some motion. One day the Promenade area was closed off all day long. I would suspect every crossing will be somewhat different depending on what type of weather systems are over the Pacific on your way there.

Have a great cruise and report back! :cool:

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Ronnieslady,

Rick & Jenny

Sorry it took so long to answer this. As we just got home yesterday. The crossing was a little choppy on the 1st evening & 1 day out of LA going towards Hawaii. I think this is normal & you should expect this for a day or 2. But then it is fine. Coming home towards Ensenada & after was fine.

The storm did not effect us @ all. The captain came to our Meet & Greet on our 1st sea day & said they were watching it closely & that they would avoid it. He sure did, I guess, because we never had a problem. He might have gone a little faster that 1st day to avoid it. He did a great job.

As far as weather on a Dec. sailing I would expect it to be cooler on the seas, that time of the year. And that time of the year it could be stormie Ar1950 is right.

Hawaii temps do not vary much, so as you get closer to the islands it gets warmer. We had no rain on the islands @ all. When we usually go in the spring it does rain on the islands @ least part of the time.

Grace

Edited by Ronnieslady

Sorry it took so long to answer this. As we just got home yesterday. The crossing was a little choppy on the 1st evening & 1 day out of LA going towards Hawaii. I think this is normal & you should expect this for a day or 2. But then it is fine. Coming home towards Ensenada & after was fine.

The storm did not effect us @ all. The captain came to our Meet & Greet on our 1st sea day & said they were watching it closely & that they would avoid it. He sure did, I guess, because we never had a problem. He might have gone a little faster that 1st day to avoid it. He did a great job.

As far as weather on a Dec. sailing I would expect it to be cooler on the seas, that time of the year. And that time of the year it could be stormie Ar1950 is right.

Hawaii temps do not vary much, so as you get closer to the islands it gets warmer. We had no rain on the islands @ all. When we usually go in the spring it does rain on the islands @ least part of the time.

Grace

Thanks for your Ruby/Hawaii update

Every little bit helps :)

Srpilo

The noise from the ping pong table is not conducive to relaxing and 6:00pm is dinner time anyway.

Although some people that we ran into were used to working off their dinner with a little game of ping pong instead of going to a show. And they were disappointed. Anyway the 6:00 ending of all sports had to do with the assistant CD telling me it was because of thief of the equipment. And not fleet wide just the Ruby.

Although some people that we ran into were used to working off their dinner with a little game of ping pong instead of going to a show. And they were disappointed. Anyway the 6:00 ending of all sports had to do with the assistant CD telling me it was because of thief of the equipment. And not fleet wide just the Ruby.

Gee, could they not have a way to sign out equipment using ones rm #, and then cross it off when equip is returned? They do that for pool towels on Royal C