No Dynamic Dining! :)

And Anthem is a Quantum Class ship. It is the only ship class using Dynamic Dining even if not all ships in the class use it.

Your statement was "Quantum Class ships are retaining Dynamic Dining. No other ship classes will have Dynamic Dining." and I updated this to say that Anthem was the only Quantum class ship to actually have DD.......

Actually, there are a significant number of people who were disappointed by this decision. They find the same table, same waitstaff, same menus, and same table mates every night to be so boring.

I would not be at all surprised to see DD return to the fleet.

Big thumbs up for the hopeful return and expansion of DD.

I booked my upcoming Allure TA when it was advertised that DD was going to be expanded to Oasis class. Then it was pulled because RCI did not have the cojones to go ahead with their plans. Sometimes I wish I had booked Anthem TA instead.:(

DD was a big flop with many people. RCCL thought they could boost profit by turning the tables 3 times rather than two. They reduced the waiters and busboys to cut labor cost. Most people did not like having to make Rez for dinner. They didn't want to have to think. RCCL can just vary the selections each night more to make those happy that want a better selection.

DD was a big flop with many people. RCCL thought they could boost profit by turning the tables 3 times rather than two. They reduced the waiters and busboys to cut labor cost. Most people did not like having to make Rez for dinner. They didn't want to have to think. RCCL can just vary the selections each night more to make those happy that want a better selection.

DD venues are no additional cost - where is there profit in turning tables 3 times rather than 2?

Happy about this we have 2 FR and 2 OA cruises and we're glad that no DD -- would have done Classic option but keeping things the way we like it is much better. We can also book Coastal Kitchen on OA as we are in a JS for both cruises.

I'm not sure that you can book CK if in JS.

The MDR is horrible. Why would anyone want to keep it?

Furthermore, what's wrong with DD? What's that? Different food every night? Food that isn't bitter, tepid, soggy and under seasoned? The horror. I'm sorry that they scared you by proposing that you try an updated menu with flavors from this millennium. What could they have been thinking?

Have to chuckle when I read posts like this. "The MDR is horrible". Really now, how so and thanks for such an elaborate reason of why it's so horrible....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:...Thanks for nothing!

We really enjoyed DD on our Feb. Quantum sail, however, we were set with our desired dining time reserves. I'd like to have those posters that have a terrible view of DD if they went thru the exercise and actual ate in a DD environment or are simply regurgitating some of the reviews. It's so easy to say it's horrible without elaborating.

Actually, there are a significant number of people who were disappointed by this decision. They find the same table, same waitstaff, same menus, and same table mates every night to be so boring.

I would not be at all surprised to see DD return to the fleet.

They will find a different way to do it, I'm sure.

I'm bored with traditional dining. Thankfully, they have MTD, the WJ, and specialty dining in EOS. I wouldn't have booked a cruise on RCI without them.

RCI needs to find a way to accomodate those cruisers who don't respond well to change while continuing to draw a more progressive crowd to it's ships.

We'll see what the future holds...

Edited by jayblue

This statement makes no sense. No matter how many tables you turn, You still feed the same sized audience (whatever the capacity of the ship is) and you don't make a dime more because, You know, its free.

Have to chuckle when I read posts like this. "The MDR is horrible". Really now, how so and thanks for such an elaborate reason of why it's so horrible....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:...Thank s for nothing!

Have to chuckle when I read posts like this. Your parents failed to teach you how to read, so you blame me. I'm sorry i wasn't there to read my 2nd paragraph to you, but keep going you almost had it! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Edited by Diplomacy

JS guests can book CK now on Oasis. Possibly not on Allure now, but certainly by May 2016 when the new suite perks go into effect.

I'm assuming from your post that the new suite perks apply to JS--what are they?

They will find a different way to do it, I'm sure.

I'm bored with traditional dining. Thankfully, they have MTD, the WJ, and specialty dining in EOS. I wouldn't have booked a cruise on RCI without them.

RCI needs to find a way to accomodate those cruisers who don't respond well to change while continuing to draw a more progressive crowd to it's ships.

We'll see what the future holds...

That was the big reason behind DD. RCI decided that the future demographic for cruising finds the traditional dining concept to be a turn-off. They do not find the idea of spending two to three hours dining with a bunch of strangers to be appealing. Nor do they want to build a 'relationship' with their servers.

That was the big reason behind DD. RCI decided that the future demographic for cruising finds the traditional dining concept to be a turn-off. They do not find the idea of spending two to three hours dining with a bunch of strangers to be appealing. Nor do they want to build a 'relationship' with their servers.

I've cruised 3 times in the past with the old school version of dining. It's a shame that in 18 years, it hasn't really changed much. Actually, from what I am seeing, the food isn't quite what it was back then.

The MDR is horrible. Why would anyone want to keep it?

Furthermore, what's wrong with DD? What's that? Different food every night? Food that isn't bitter, tepid, soggy and under seasoned? The horror. I'm sorry that they scared you by proposing that you try an updated menu with flavors from this millennium. What could they have been thinking?

Clearly, not everyone thinks the MDR is horrible... Ever think of that? Your opinion isn't the only one that matters. I don't find the food tepid, bitter, or soggy.

Royal obviously failed with their roll out of DD. Yeah, some people loved, but it seems that more people must've hated it. You really think they spent all that money redecorating the Oasis and Allure MDR's and decided to cancel DD because it was a hit? No, there was a problem and it (at least the current version of DD) wasn't going to be successful on Oasis and Allure.

I for one have nothing against DD, but I don't get the draw of it.

Are we really all going to get in yet another discussion about how DD should stay? Haven't we seen enough of these?! Get over it. I think it'll stay on Q Class and will be put on any newer classes of ship.

If the majority of cruisers on my recent Oasis cruise chose traditional dining : the standard 2 early seatings and 2 late seatings in 2 of the 3 dining rooms I'd have to say that most cruisers are not bored with traditional dining.

The huge ships already offer many options for dining. None of our dinners lasted 2 hours. Daniel, our waiter was attentive to our needs, and made sure we were out in time to make a 7:30 show when requested.

I, for one, love having my table and waiters ready when we arrive. The little touches, knowing that you like iced tea and it's on the table when you get there,

having children's appetizers waiting for them etc.. Having to make reservations in advance, chance not getting to experience all the "included restaurants" with set menus, and having to wait even with a reservation is the antithesis of what I expect to experience on a cruise. It is something totally different than dining on land. My Time Dining, the specialty restaurants, smaller eateries around the ship, and the Windjammer offer many opportunities for varied eating experiences!

The facts speak for themselves- 4 seatings of Traditional Dining in 2 dining rooms vs. 1 dining room reserved for My Time Dining on my 9/12/15 Oasis cruise! Most cruisers are not bored.

If the majority of cruisers on my recent Oasis cruise chose traditional dining : the standard 2 early seatings and 2 late seatings in 2 of the 3 dining rooms I'd have to say that most cruisers are not bored with traditional dining.

The huge ships already offer many options for dining. None of our dinners lasted 2 hours. Daniel, our waiter was attentive to our needs, and made sure we were out in time to make a 7:30 show when requested.

I, for one, love having my table and waiters ready when we arrive. The little touches, knowing that you like iced tea and it's on the table when you get there,

having children's appetizers waiting for them etc.. Having to make reservations in advance, chance not getting to experience all the "included restaurants" with set menus, and having to wait even with a reservation is the antithesis of what I expect to experience on a cruise. It is something totally different than dining on land. My Time Dining, the specialty restaurants, smaller eateries around the ship, and the Windjammer offer many opportunities for varied eating experiences!

The facts speak for themselves- 4 seatings of Traditional Dining in 2 dining rooms vs. 1 dining room reserved for My Time Dining on my 9/12/15 Oasis cruise! Most cruisers are not bored.

It doesn't matter what the majority choose on your Oasis cruise since they were not given a choice between traditional dining and Dynamic Dining.

Obviously, you didn't take two hours to dine since you asked to be served quickly to see the shows. What would have been the typical dining time had you not requested expedited service?

There are many like yourself who find traditional dining attractive because of the features you mentioned. The problem is that in order to attract a larger customer base to fill the new ships, the cruise lines are going to have to attract a different type of customer. The ones the cruise lines are trying to attract find traditional dining to be very boring.

Royal attempted to modernize the dining experience to attract this type of passenger. They attempted too much too soon with too little planning and preparation. They will try again because they must attract this new type of passenger because those who like traditional dining are becoming a smaller and smaller fraction of the cruising public.

It doesn't matter what the majority choose on your Oasis cruise since they were not given a choice between traditional dining and Dynamic Dining.

Obviously, you didn't take two hours to dine since you asked to be served quickly to see the shows. What would have been the typical dining time had you not requested expedited service?

There are many like yourself who find traditional dining attractive because of the features you mentioned. The problem is that in order to attract a larger customer base to fill the new ships, the cruise lines are going to have to attract a different type of customer. The ones the cruise lines are trying to attract find traditional dining to be very boring.

Royal attempted to modernize the dining experience to attract this type of passenger. They attempted too much too soon with too little planning and preparation. They will try again because they must attract this new type of passenger because those who like traditional dining are becoming a smaller and smaller fraction of the cruising public.

Well said!!!

I see your point, but that made me think of another question:

The reasons you give for why these "new" passengers dislike traditional dining is because they don't like being assigned to a specific table each night, at a set time, or with a bunch of strangers... Well what's wrong with MTD? Is that not a good enough option? Is it because you get to pick your time each night, are able to sit by yourselves, and don't necessarily get the same waitstaff each night? Oh wait, those are the exact things why these people apparently want DD...

DD venues are no additional cost - where is there profit in turning tables 3 times rather than 2?

The dining venues can be smaller (they are on Q class) which would allow for fewer staff (hasn't quite worked out that way on Q class).

What am I missing here?! This is all OLD news and it seems like everyone is acting like it's new, including the OP. I'm very confused! And also irritated having to read through all of those same old, same old comments trying to find somebody who is asking this question! Concerning dynamic dining...build a bridge and get over it!

What am I missing here?! This is all OLD news and it seems like everyone is acting like it's new, including the OP. I'm very confused! And also irritated having to read through all of those same old, same old comments trying to find somebody who is asking this question! Concerning dynamic dining...build a bridge and get over it!

As you can obviously see, the argument in favor of it hasn't disappeared. Neither has it completely.

So, as opposed to building that bridge, we will merely bide our time until RCI introduces a better version of it.

So, don't put that glass of whine away yet!

I have read that they changed the three levels of the MDR on the Oasis for DD and then cancelled the program. Did they change the MDR on the Allure as well? Or, did they cancel the program prior to the renovation?