No More Officers at Meet & Greets?

bcd2010

While I appreciate your comment about Vets, my DH was a Viet Nam Vet and still could notice when his toilet didn't work or we didn't have air conditioning on the ship, etc. :) I also do not appreciate decreased quality and it does not stop me, who was a newlywed worrying about his safety the whole time he was 'in country' as the Viet Vets called it, from noticing and remarking about cutbacks.

Of course, we are fortunate to be able to cruise but that doesn't mean we should spend our money and not get what we have come to expect will be provided. Certainly to expect the mechanicals to work properly doesn't mean we are not grateful for our good fortune and for our Vets.

Edited by sail7seas

I have hosted many Roll Calls and no matter how many post on the Roll Call when we finally meet we are strangers. Thanks to Roll Call's and M&G's we have met some fantastic fellow cruisers and many have become permanent friends.

Many of those folks have been solo cruisers and it appeared they really enjoyed being a part of our cruise and friends.

Of course on a private tour with strangers there have been a couple of folks we have questioned but never did they ruin our private excursion.

Oh! By the way we still enjoy our Hal cruises and question all the recent displeasure and self appointed CEOs speculated comments.

Sure there are issues at times but unless you been there it sure beats getting your butt shot at or being shot down in combat. Maybe us Vets are more appreciative for the opportunity to cruise.

Let's put it in perspective if you enjoy cruising with Hal book it. If you don't go to the cruise line that will.

There has just been so much I'm a CEO armchair speculation/negativity lately from so many veteran CC members that I ask we get back to basics and have fun again and provide positive replies to fellow cruisers.

IMO our Hal officers have more important things to do like maintaining our safety than listening to whining CC members.

One more thing. It really doesn't matter how many post you have it's your contributions that count.

Could be my last post but really, what have we become and how can we become a better travel service vs social media need.

Chief

Totally agree.

i have hosted many roll calls and no matter how many post on the roll call when we finally meet we are strangers. Thanks to roll call's and m&g's we have met some fantastic fellow cruisers and many have become permanent friends.

Many of those folks have been solo cruisers and it appeared they really enjoyed being a part of our cruise and friends.

Of course on a private tour with strangers there have been a couple of folks we have questioned but never did they ruin our private excursion.

Oh! By the way we still enjoy our hal cruises and question all the recent displeasure and self appointed ceos speculated comments.

Sure there are issues at times but unless you been there it sure beats getting your butt shot at or being shot down in combat. Maybe us vets are more appreciative for the opportunity to cruise.

Let's put it in perspective if you enjoy cruising with hal book it. If you don't go to the cruise line that will.

There has just been so much i'm a ceo armchair speculation/negativity lately from so many veteran cc members that i ask we get back to basics and have fun again and provide positive replies to fellow cruisers.

Imo our hal officers have more important things to do like maintaining our safety than listening to whining cc members.

One more thing. It really doesn't matter how many post you have it's your contributions that count.

Could be my last post but really, what have we become and how can we become a better travel service vs social media need.

Chief

+ 1

As a vet I believe we are just a little more tolerant to adversary and appreciative for our leisure at sea. Had toilet and AC issues on a couple of cruises and still enjoyed the Hal experience.'

Many of us still enjoy the Hal cruising experience and just asking what's in your pocket? Hal or some other cruise line?

Go for it or book another cruise experience. I'm sure there are some great alternatives.

I have to agree, Chief. I have participated in many roll calls over the years...have organized many of them. We booked our winter getaway late last winter...and there wasn't a M & G. I must say, we really missed that camaraderie. Meeting fellow cruisers is an added bonus.

I have to agree, Chief. I have participated in many roll calls over the years...have organized many of them. We booked our winter getaway late last winter...and there wasn't a M & G. I must say, we really missed that camaraderie. Meeting fellow cruisers is an added bonus.

Thanks Sheila, I just couldn't keep quiet any longer. Just rembering the days of RevNeal and others who were Hal lovers and who answered questions without bias and who maybe left because of the negavitism.

We do hope you will join us on the Eurodam.

Bruce

Edited by aliaschief

As a vet I believe we are just a little more tolerant to adversary and appreciative for our leisure at sea. Had toilet and AC issues on a couple of cruises and still enjoyed the Hal experience.'

Many of us still enjoy the Hal cruising experience and just asking what's in your pocket? Hal or some other cruise line?

Go for it or book another cruise experience. I'm sure there are some great alternatives.

Oh I so agree. Again. Last cruise I had no hot water for two weeks out of 3, and we still had a helluva good time!

Oh - and a fabulous Roll Call as well. Every one of of us enjoyed our M&Gs and shore excursions that we did together.

Edited by Lizzie68

Bruce,

What unit and when in country?

366 Gunfighters DaNang 69-70 +and many others including 37th Rescue and several TDY returns after my first year. Flew with too many units over years to name them all.

My service is not important but where we are headed on my beloved Cruise Critics's is the issue.

That being said my comments are "why all the bitching".

Use to be fun here on CC and we shared info and now we are deluged with "regular posters" who are unhappy cruisers.

Why here? Let's get back to basics.

Edited by aliaschief

I also enjoy the roll calls and meet and greets and have met sone wonderful people and enjoyed sone great times on cruises becasue of them. In fact, I'm sure he doesn't remember but, because of our roll call, we were able to meet aliaschief back in Dec 2009 and thanks to him, my husband and I along with our 2 friends were able to enjoy the Oasis on HMC thanks to the Chief's excellent organizing abilities :) we had an amazing time and still talk about that cruise and that group and the fun we had.

I also enjoy the roll calls and meet and greets and have met sone wonderful people and enjoyed sone great times on cruises becasue of them. In fact, I'm sure he doesn't remember but, because of our roll call, we were able to meet aliaschief back in Dec 2009 and thanks to him, my husband and I along with our 2 friends were able to enjoy the Oasis on HMC thanks to the Chief's excellent organizing abilities :) we had an amazing time and still talk about that cruise and that group and the fun we had.

Remember and wasn't that a great time. Hope we cruise again:)

366 Gunfighters DaNang 69-70 +and many others including 37th Rescue and several TDY returns after my first year. My service is not important but where we are headed on my beloved Cruise Critics's is the issue.

That being said my comments are "why all the bitching".

Use to be fun here on CC and we shared info and now we are deluged with "regular posters" who are unhappy cruisers.

Why here? Let's get back to basics.

Couldn't agree more, chief. Sure hope that in spite of your disgust you will still host the sailaways - that is the fun you are talking about.

Interesting that a lot of the "regular posters" haven't been on a HAL ship in several years, yet are negative to "changes" that they haven't experienced yet. My last cruise in July had some of the changes, and I liked some and ignored the rest. e.g. reduced MDR selections - I never went hungry, always found something and never had to look for the waiter or wine steward - they were right there. New layout of Lido Market Place is great - much more sanitary salad bar where they build your salad for you to order and loved loved loved the new stir-fry section where everything was cooked fresh and changed daily. At breakfast, eggs were cooked perfectly to order - and fresh eggs, not the pasteurized stuff - I just asked and got fresh scrambled eggs. They will do anything you ask. And waiters in Lido for drinks, etc.

Could go on and on, but my point is that the "new HAL" is still a good product. I was solo for the first time and they treated me like a princess - room steward set up reading spot on couch with pillow and blankie for me etc. Ship (Rotterdam) was in perfect shape and everything worked. Saw one bucket in hall one day and they were in the ceiling working on it and apologized that I had to go around them. Had an issue with internet not working the last night, and front desk immediately credited me, no questions asked.

Can't wait for my first trip on the Noordam and first trip "down under" this winter! If HAL had Princess' International Cafe with snacks and GELATO 24/7 it would be the perfect cruise line. But looks like Koningsdam might have something similar, so there is hope.

I suspect you're right, bruce. One of our most memorable cruises was the "Voyage of the Good Nuts". That was an awesome roll call...Rev. Neal, Brian Parker, Richard ("rustaroo"), RuthC, vMary ("Aloha Pride"), Beverly ("sage")....the list goes on and on. Fabulous cruise. Fabulous group. Many of whom no longer post sadly.

Thanks Sheila, I just couldn't keep quiet any longer. Just rembering the days of RevNeal and others who were Hal lovers and who answered questions without bias and who maybe left because of the negavitism.

We do hope you will join us on the Eurodam.

Bruce

Thank you for speaking up.

I seldom post anymore. It seems I have just lost my heart for it. Everybody seems to dislike everybody else and there isn't the spirit of helping out other cruisers in a friendly manner that there used to be.

I miss all the long time posters who have dropped out as well. I would like to see a return to friendlier times and maybe some of them would come back. I am sure they are still lurking.

Edited by sapper1

It just occurred to me what might also bother me about the M&G's is the tone of 'ownership' of "my" M & G. I hear a bit of control implied in that language. When one person appoints themselves as Organizer it becomes their M&G and implied with that are their rules. I'm too sure of what I like and how I like it to enjoy that circumstance.

Yes, the phrasing "my meet and greet" is a bit jarring, isn't it? I would be really annoyed by that language and also by being lectured about what I can and can't talk about during the event. Total turn-off.

Thank you for speaking up.

I seldom post anymore. It seems I have just lost my heart for it. Everybody seems to dislike everybody else and there isn't the spirit of helping out other cruisers in a friendly manner that there used to be.

I miss all the long time posters who have dropped out as well. I would like to see a return to friendlier times and maybe some of them would come back. I am sure they are still lurking.

Having been a lurker for years before I posted, I remember so many regular posters who we never hear from anymore. Posts were helpful, friendly and polite and without criticism (though I do recall some lively dress code threads!) and with no need to post constant reminders about how many days, how many cruises - even though they have many under their belt! - or the need to take over a thread.

On another note, I have no problem with anyone saying "my" Meet and Greet - it is evident they mean the ones they have attended. I said it myself earlier in the thread. Please don't misconstrue. And I have met life-long friends at these events and on roll calls. There is no requirement to join in a roll call or to attend an M&G, but friendship and sociability is not a bad thing. If it's not your "thing" then avoid it. And also I have no issue with a gentle reminder to not discuss private tours at these events either. Although we should know that, sometimes a little reminder is a good idea.

Edited by Lizzie68

I agree with you, lizzie.

I, too, miss the longtime posters, so many who have disappeared from this forum.

I don't read it...nor do I post often any longer. ..and I was a very frequent poster...as can be seen in my post count.

But the snarkiness (if that is even a word) is so tiresome...and a real turn off.

Got chime in a bit. I am a solo cruiser and not young. I tend to do longer cruises since it takes a lot of time and energy (not to mention money) to get from the mountains of Colorado to a port. I go on to the roll calls to gather information and get a feel for who is going to be on the cruise. I do go to the meet and greets to get to know some of my fellow cruisers better and also get so I recognize some of them around the ship if it is only to say "hello". I have taken some of the private tours offered and they have all been great.... but, on these tours I sometimes worry about slowing the group down . Frankly on a HAL tour there are more options (without holding up the group) if suddenly you are confronted with something you don't think you can do easily. I certainly do not want anyone to miss anything because of me.

Like others, I find some of the changes not to my liking ... but ..... this is one H*** of a good vacation. Perhaps I enjoy it more than some others since I do not do it regularly.

Susan

I, too, miss some of the folks who used to post here. Rev Neal is certainly one I miss as well as Brian and Susan and others. A few others, not so much. :D :D

People come and go into and out of our lives for a variety of reasons. The ones we were fond of we miss.

I, too, miss some of the folks who used to post here. Rev Neal is certainly one I miss as well as Brian and Susan and others. A few others, not so much. :D :D

People come and go into and out of our lives for a variety of reasons. The ones we were fond of we miss.

The Brian I remember no longer sails HAL, many regulars have moved to other lines.

This is any open forum. I don't subscribe to the theory that some opinions are more valuable than others.

There does seem to be more negativity and the need for people to be "right" about everything they post. People can have different opinions without being right or wrong. People can also experience things differently even in the same situation and that is OK too.