Formal Night Question for all you CC experts

FloridaTourist

We are sailing on the Oosterdam April 18th for the 12 day Adriatic Sea Cruise. I assume there would be 2 formal nights on a 12 day cruise? Our second day is our only sea day so I expect that to be our first formal night. Would that be a good assumption? What would be our second formal night? Trying to book our specialty restaurant nights and don't want to do that on a formal night.

Others will argue about this advise, but call HAL Ship Services tomorrow 1‐800‐207‐3547. It's pretty early yet, but they may have the ship's schedule. FYI, I have a cruise in January, and the only specialty dining available to reserve at this time is the Canalleto. They said they were waiting until they had the schedule so they could better advise people who want to eat in the MDR on Gala (formerly Formal) nights since the menu is pumped up on those nights.

Others will argue about this advise, but call HAL Ship Services tomorrow 1‐800‐207‐3547. It's pretty early yet, but they may have the ship's schedule...

Spot on - my only surprise is that you haven't been "flamed" by the usual suspects who cannot abide the thought that anyone would look for advice anywhere but here on CC.

Spot on - my only surprise is that you haven't been "flamed" by the usual suspects who cannot abide the thought that anyone would look for advice anywhere but here on CC.

[emoji91] [emoji117] Avian777[emoji118] [emoji91] [emoji102] [emoji109]

Also - Second to last night would be my guess. ;)

Edited by POA1

What's the latest policy on number of gala nights wrt length of cruise? I can't find it on the website. The FAQ links for gala nights just takes me to a discussion of the dress code, but doesn't say how many gala nights there will be. It's 10 days, which I think means two galas nowadays. But where is this info on the website?

What's the latest policy on number of gala nights wrt length of cruise? I can't find it on the website. The FAQ links for gala nights just takes me to a discussion of the dress code, but doesn't say how many gala nights there will be. It's 10 days, which I think means two galas nowadays. But where is this info on the website?

As blizzardboy suggested above, you probably should contact HAL Ship Services for this info.

As blizzardboy suggested above, you probably should contact HAL Ship Services for this info.

That's my plan, but as an east coaster, I can't call yet. (It's almost time now)

My real question for the CC board is where on the website is this general information? Or is HAL not saying anymore?

Others will argue about this advise, but call HAL Ship Services tomorrow 1‐800‐207‐3547. It's pretty early yet, but they may have the ship's schedule. FYI, I have a cruise in January, and the only specialty dining available to reserve at this time is the Canalleto. They said they were waiting until they had the schedule so they could better advise people who want to eat in the MDR on Gala (formerly Formal) nights since the menu is pumped up on those nights.

That's a fax number.

I also discovered to my horror that I couldn't find any dates available for the Pinnacle, more than 3 months out. So I called dining reservations and she said they're still loading the website for 2016 dining. (Interestingly Canaletto can be booked now) And I asked about gala nights for a 10-day, and instead of giving me an answer, she asked for my booking number to check the specific cruise. So are not all 10-day cruises getting the same number of gala nights? Anyway, mine is two days, and she thinks it would be first full day (HMC) and next to last (sea day), which is what I'd expect. From what the passenger experiences I've been seeing on CC, HAL seems to like starting and ending on a "gala" (cough, cough) note.

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

Unless you plan to FAX your inquiry to Ship Services, I suggest you call 1-800-541-1576.

BTW this exchange illustrates why I generally recommend contacting HAL directly on such questions and not rely exclusively on the CC experts, as even well-intentioned CCers can make mistakes and even provide info that is out dated. JMO

Edited by avian777

Number of Gala nights seems to vary a lot by ship and/or location. On our South Pacific 30 day cruise on the Statendam in Feb with lots of sea days we had only 3 Gala nights. On our Voyage of the Vikings 35 day cruise on the Veendam in Aug with much fewer sea days we had 9 Gala nights so your guess is as good as mine.

No one knows, including HAL HQ. I would suggest you call them, and please report here the response you get. And then report back after the cruise to let us know how accurate it was. We have had boarding papers that say so many formal nights, and it's been totally different from actuality. Thanks.

Unless you plan to FAX your inquiry to Ship Services, I suggest you call 1-800-541-1576.

BTW this exchange illustrates why I generally recommend contacting HAL directly on such questions and not rely exclusively on the CC experts, as even well-intentioned CCers can make mistakes and even provide info that is out dated. JMO

Why do you post here if you don't believe in sharing information and don't trust other posters? The whole point of this site is to share information.

I've learned a lot here--cruise line boards, port of call, roll calls. OK, there's the occasional error (like the fax beep I got this morning), but in my experience, people here genuinely want to help and most of the time their info turns out to be spot on.

Given the wide variety of implementation of HAL's policies--such as the variability in number and scheduling of gala nights--I find it helpful to know what other cruisers have experienced. Given how many times shoreside has said one thing and the ship did another, I don't find calling a cruise line (any cruise line) significantly more reliable than asking here. I didn't get a definitive answer this morning. She said "I think your gala nights will be..." and she didn't know when I'd be able to book my Pinnacle dinner.

If your cruise isn't a one time only sailing and there's a cruise that does your itinerary before you, try to ask one of the people on the prior sailing. We've had 3 formal nights on a 10 day cruise already, even though our paperwork said 2.

If your cruise isn't a one time only sailing and there's a cruise that does your itinerary before you, try to ask one of the people on the prior sailing. We've had 3 formal nights on a 10 day cruise already, even though our paperwork said 2.

I'm waiting for my itinerary to start. I think it's in a week or so. I've been meaning to check roll calls to see if there's a group I can ask to report back. It's funny, but I've noticed that people on roll calls are often not regular posters on the main cruise line board.

I'm waiting for my itinerary to start. I think it's in a week or so. I've been meaning to check roll calls to see if there's a group I can ask to report back. It's funny, but I've noticed that people on roll calls are often not regular posters on the main cruise line board.

I've noticed the same thing. It's rare when I recognize anyone on the roll calls. I did pose the question about formal nights on my October 25th roll call but no one has answered. I have 3 formal for a 2 week collectors cruise which seems odd.

I agree with the OP. It would be nice to know how many formal/gala nights there will be ahead of time.

I think it would be very helpful if HAL would give this type of information to its guests at the time the cruise is booked. Since the itinerary is repeated, it may not change very often. I understand there may be unforeseen events that make it necessary for changes, but basically the information would be the same for each booking.

I've looked on the HAL website, and done research here on CC for the 14 day Alaska cruise. Some people say there is two gala nights, others say three. It's hard to make specialty dining reservations ahead of time and coordinate the time with shore excursions.

However, we are looking forward to our first Hal cruise next year since it will be our 50th anniversary.

Happy cruising everyone! It's a great way to travel and meet new people! :D

We never know how many "Gala" nights there will be until we can print our final documents some 50 days out. We are currently on an 18-day Panama Canal itinerary, and our cruise is scheduled to have 3 "Gala" nights. We are 10 days into the cruise and thus far have had one "Gala" night. We'll have our next one tomorrow, and our final one next week. Attire has been all over the map, but mostly people look pretty decent, and guess what? Nobody really cares:)

I agree with the OP. It would be nice to know how many formal/gala nights there will be ahead of time.

I think it would be very helpful if HAL would give this type of information to its guests at the time the cruise is booked. Since the itinerary is repeated, it may not change very often. I understand there may be unforeseen events that make it necessary for changes, but basically the information would be the same for each booking.

I've looked on the HAL website, and done research here on CC for the 14 day Alaska cruise. Some people say there is two gala nights, others say three. It's hard to make specialty dining reservations ahead of time and coordinate the time with shore excursions.

However, we are looking forward to our first Hal cruise next year since it will be our 50th anniversary.

Wow, fifty years! Congratulations. A cruise is a wonderful way to celebrate. Make sure HAL knows it's a special occasion. You might get only a cake, but it's a nice gesture.

I agree that the confusion over gala nights is frustrating. All I can say is keep checking.

The way the gala nights vary, I'm wondering if HAL is drifting toward eliminating them quietly. DISCLAIMER: This is a guess, not a prediction, not advice, not some kind of inside knowledge. The wording of the gala night info on the website was sort of like "It's always been this way..." like a "who cares" kind of shrug. If they make it confusing enough, people will be glad to see it go?

Here's a link to the HAL website that you may find useful. Click on "Dress Code."

http://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-vacation-planning/PlanningAndAdvice.action?tabName=Popular+Topics&WT.ac=pnav_FBG_FAQ.

Typically the normal schedule is 2 gala nights for each 7 days. A HAL representative with whom I just spoke says that cruises with a lot of port activity may have fewer gala nights but even on cruises with a lot of sea days the maximum is 2 gala nights per week. He also said a 12 day cruise would normally have 3 gala nights but it may have a fourth if it has a lot of sea time (such as a trans-Atlantic cruise). He closed with the usual caution; that is to check with a HAL rep. at 1‐877‐932‐4259 regarding your specific cruise.

Edited by Host Walt

Last week I printed up our Boarding Passes for our 14 day cruise which is mid November & . On our Boarding Passes it states: "Gala Attire Evenings 4 "...

Why would it be necessary to know when you book? IMO 6 weeks is certainly enough time for me to decide what I'm going to wear & I'm a woman who takes a long time to pick out my Evening outfits..LOL;)

YWow 50 years, Congratulations..You might want to surprise your Bride with a "Renewal Of Vows Package" which HAL has..Not sure of the price now but it was well worth it when we did it several years ago..

We did this for one of our Anniversaries & it was wonderful.. It was done on a formal/gala night..Your Bride will get either a bouquet of flowers or a corsage. & you will get a rose or other flower for your lapel.. I wore the dress worn for our Son's wedding & DH wore a suit..

You will be invited to a champagne reception where they will have a cake for all couples who will be taking part..Each couple is individually called up & the Captain will officiate at your renewal.. We had our best Friends with us & paid a small sum for our guests.. The gifts included a Pinnacle Dinner & also a HAL photo album.. One thing we failed to do & should have was have our pictures taken before that night.. We did not do this & the only picture we have is with me crying! :D:)..The same night we did ours, there was a couple from Manila with about 20 of their entire family there for their 50th Anniversary.. Every one of them including the littlest baby was dressed in white..What a lovely group it was..

Edited by serendipity1499

Last week I printed up our Boarding Passes for our 14 day cruise which is 5 & 1/2 weeks away.. On our Boarding Passes it states: "Gala Attire Evenings 4 "...

Interesting. Iirc you are doing a Caribbean cruise. I'm doing a back to back on the eurodam on the 18th and mine say 3. I would expect 4.

Edited by cruz chic

Interesting. Iirc you are doing a Caribbean cruise. I'm doing a back to back on the eurodam on the 18 and mine say 3. I would expect 4.

We're doing the Eastern & Western Carib. also on the Eurodam for 14 days..(a B2B) 7 days each & our boarding passes state 4..We leave Nov. 15..

Are you boarding in Ft. Lauderdale & doing 18 days? :confused: