Where to stay in NY the night before a cruise from Brooklyn

Koz1

We'll be flying into New York the evening before we depart on a Canada & New England cruise on the Caribbean Princess that departs from Brooklyn in September 2016. After the cruise we'll fly back from Quebec City to New York and have 3 nights there before flying back to Sydney.

I'll be flying to New York from Calgary and my Son will fly from LA to join me in NY for the cruise. I had been planning to fly into JFK and stay in an airport hotel overnight and then transfer straight to the ship the next morning, so this way we would only need one transfer rather than a transfer from the airport to Manhattan and then another transfer the next morning from Manhattan to Brooklyn, but I've read here that it is not recommended to stay at JFK Airport hotels.

I've read that staying at a hotel near Newark EWR Airport can be a good option and we can both get non-stop flights into either JFK or EWR.

Flying from Calgary I can fly Westjet into JFK, arriving at 5.04pm, or Air Canada into EWR, arriving at 7.26pm. My Son can fly from LAX on flights arriving at JFK at 5.30pm or into EWR at 7.47pm, so we can arrange that we both arrive at a similar time.

I would appreciate some suggestions for the easiest options - we could fly into JFK and stay at a hotel near the Brooklyn Cruise Port or stay at Newark and transfer to the ship the next morning. The prices of hotels are very expensive in Manhattan at this time of year and we'll be spending 3 nights there after the cruise so if we can save a few dollars for this one night pre-cruise hotel and make it easier to get to the ship the next morning that would be good.

Ken

Hi Ken,

I would consider staying in Brooklyn. Park Slope is a neighborhood that has many restraunts and is easily navigated, you can take a local cab or car service as we call it. Down town Brooklyn by Atlantic Ave has many hotels and the subway is a short trip to Manhatten. The cab ride from JFK is around 60.00 and there is plenty to see and do in the local neighborhood. It's a quick cab ride from there to the cruise terminal in Red Hook.Good luck and safe travels.

Maura

Hi Ken,

I would consider staying in Brooklyn. Park Slope is a neighborhood that has many restraunts and is easily navigated, you can take a local cab or car service as we call it. Down town Brooklyn by Atlantic Ave has many hotels and the subway is a short trip to Manhatten. The cab ride from JFK is around 60.00 and there is plenty to see and do in the local neighborhood. It's a quick cab ride from there to the cruise terminal in Red Hook.Good luck and safe travels.

Maura

Thanks Maura. Staying in Brooklyn seems to be the easiest option since we'll only arrive late afternoon the day before we board the ship. I've looked up distances to Brooklyn from both JFK and Newark and JFK is a lot closer so it seems that booking a flight to JFK will be the best option if we head straight from the airport to Brooklyn.

I see that you live in Brooklyn - do you think the Comfort Inn Brooklyn Cruise Terminal would be a good option to choose since it is so close the the cruise terminal?

Ken

Edited by Koz1

If you arrive late afternoon the day before, you might want to stay at an airport motel - which will give you free transport from airport, and then taxi direct to cruise terminal the next day; rather than taxi from airport to Brooklyn and then taxi to cruise terminal.

I'd never recommend staying at a JFK hotel. Many, even those with recognizable hotel chain names, are used by NY City as temporary housing for families who have been forced out of their homes for one reason or another and can be noisy messes as a result. Also for someone without a car the options for dinner are limited at best.

There are hotels in Brooklyn that are a really short taxi ride from the port so the cost for the taxi to the port will be minimal.

The Comfort Inn Brooklyn Cruise Terminal, while not a luxury property, is literally a stone's throw from the cruise port, offers free hot breakfast and generally gets satisfactory reviews from those who have stayed there.

I'd never recommend staying at a JFK hotel. Many, even those with recognizable hotel chain names, are used by NY City as temporary housing for families who have been forced out of their homes for one reason or another and can be noisy messes as a result. Also for someone without a car the options for dinner are limited at best.

There are hotels in Brooklyn that are a really short taxi ride from the port so the cost for the taxi to the port will be minimal.

The Comfort Inn Brooklyn Cruise Terminal, while not a luxury property, is literally a stone's throw from the cruise port, offers free hot breakfast and generally gets satisfactory reviews from those who have stayed there.

I agree!

I stayed at the Ravel Hotel pre cruise a couple of years back. It is like a budget hotel but also has a very nice roof top restaurant which some times seems to turn into a night club style venue. They have a website and are featured on YouTube. It's a bit different.

Regards John

• 5 months later...

We will be doing the same cruise on Caribbean Princess from NYC to Quebec City in October. We will fly into La Guardia the night before the cruise departs - have been to NYC in the past so this time we really only need a place to sleep, convenient to cruise terminal. Comfort Inn in Brooklyn sounds like a good option - is it aka Comfort Inn Red Hook? Just wondering what approximate cab fare from La Guardia would be. Thanks.

We have booked our flights to arrive at JFK and have booked to stay at the Sleep Inn Brooklyn Downtown.

We had looked at the Comfort Inn Red Hook, which is only two blocks from the cruise terminal, but I read some reviews saying that there are no restaurants nearby and that people had to travel by taxi to get something to eat so we decided to book at the Sleep Inn Brooklyn Downtown which is near a lot of restaurants and is only 7 minutes drive away from the cruise terminal.

We will be doing the same cruise on Caribbean Princess from NYC to Quebec City in October. We will fly into La Guardia the night before the cruise departs - have been to NYC in the past so this time we really only need a place to sleep, convenient to cruise terminal. Comfort Inn in Brooklyn sounds like a good option - is it aka Comfort Inn Red Hook? Just wondering what approximate cab fare from La Guardia would be. Thanks.

Metered yellow taxi fares varied, depending on traffic when barely moving, should run about $35 to 45 plus tipping, could be higher too - I suggest booking Dial7 or Carmel car service for a confirmed, flat rate from LGA to the hotel of choice.

Traffic alert - long term reconstruction & roadway rebulding (with narrow lanes) on the BQE at the Queens-Brooklyn border over the "creek" will be ongoing for the next 10 years, expect traffic to get worst - expect to pay higher taxi fares if on the meter vs. car service charging a flat rate.

Edited by mking8288

• 1 month later...
How do you get from JFK airport to Comfort Inn by pier 12 Brooklyn and how much does it cost approx.

Mking8288's advice in the previous post #12 is good for JFK to Comfort Inn - get a quote from Dial7 or Carmellimo - figure base price plus 18-20% tip. There should be no tolls from JFK to Brookkyn.

Edited by 138east

JFK to Comfort Inn @ Red Hook, Pier 12 - Brooklyn - a # of options, depending on time of day/week (add'l variable: # of riders & luggage, convenient vs. budget as in "cheap & inexpensive and pulling 30 to 60 lbs. of luggage ... not really recommended") There are no tolls involved. Taxi ride is metered, whether it's a yellow or green taxi hailed on the street. Car service are based on flat-rate & highly recommended - have a printed map & directions + GPS address data available for the driver, just in case.

Weekday morning rush hour traffic thinned out & midday road work: option A @20 miles, via I-678N & I-278W in 60 minutes vs. option B, scenic ride @24 miles, via Belt Parkway in 45 minutes (thus, more expensive on metered taxi fare ... but, car service's drivers from Dial 7 or Carmel might opt to take you for time saving as it's based on dispatched flat rate) Carmel's free mobile app showing $49 for a full size sedan or $54 for a deluxe or luxury sedan (all good for 3 pax with 3 full suitcases + reasonable cabin items) or $64 for a mini-van (5 or maybe 6 pax w. suitcases + hand luggages) before a $3 or $4 online coupon discount.

There are night-time & weekend highway/road constructions (+ lane closures) on both options to Brooklyn pier & nearby hotels in Red Hook/Sunset Park/Park Slop area - affecting both JFK & LGA flyers (long-term ones that last for years & years in NYC :( :mad: :o) and for evening & at peak travel period, these travel times can easily increased by a factor of 1.5 to 2X to 75 minutes to as much as 2 hours due to lane closures & poor weather. Thus, taxi ride would be very, very costly as you are charged for sitting in traffic w. engine idling.

One of the major project not expected to be completed until 2020 is the new Kosciuszko Bridge that's 20 years in planning & overdue, and finally got underway last year - in 2 phrases, eastbound & westbound direction. Anyone driving in NYC would've noticed the nightmare, 24/7 in this area - impacting primary BQE or I-278 but also LIE that feed to/from this area + local street traffic below, which are bypass for us locals daily, plus, there are new boutique & chain hotels in this general area known mostly as Williamsburg. NYS D.O.T.'s details is here.

Doubtful that most cruise pax w. checked & cabin luggage would do this - take JFK AirTrain to Howard Beach station (not Jamaica/LIRR & subway) - transfer to A subway train to Hoyt Street, downtown Brooklyn & transfer to G subway train, 3 stops to Smith St & 9th St. - finally, a 15 minutes walk of 1/2 mile to hotel. Trip time is about 90 minutes - not recommended for anyone unfamiliar with NYC subways nor for evenings/weekends - variety of reasons - this is for frugal & "brave" traveler on a budget @about $16.50 sharing a single MetroCard to swipe & pay for the fares. Possible to find/call a local neighborhood car service for that last segment to hotel for about $10 extra - sometimes, you will find "green" taxi waiting outside the subway station (Smith & 9th Street is an elevated station with one of the highest track & platform above street level.) ... Google Map will detailed these options & travel time, etc.

Comment & related - with more pax using Brookyn Cruise Terminal, we need/should have its own "Sticky" ("Brooklyn, Pier 12 - 411")and link these up as FAQ so folks can do a quick search & find answers - without repeating over & over, unless things changed drastically and we can address unique questions by adding to it. Perhaps, Brighton One & others can help put one together as we don't sail out of there & I'll contribute what I know about the Red Hook/Sunset Park area as I'm out there ...