Ultimate balcony dining while sailing

Carla3

We are booked on a Hawaiian cruise and want to booked the UBD. Is it very windy on the balcony while sailing or should I request a day we are in port until late evening?

No one can tell you whether it will be windy on your balcony as that will depend upon the direction the ship is sailing, the direction the wind is blowing, how hard the wind is blowing, and how fast the ship is sailing.

Some examples.

If your sailing to the East and the wind is from the West, you won't have much wind. If the wind is from the East, you'll have more wind. How much? How fast is the ship sailing and how fast is the wind blowing?

If the conditions are bad, wind or rain, etc. They will move the experience indoors.

We did the UBD and had no wind but we were on an aft balcony.

We usually pick a port and time it so we will be in the middle when they are departing. Last time in Hawaii we did a balcony dinning in Honolulu while in port. We departed that port at 11pm so it was a great dinner with the city all lite up at night. We also always have a aft balcony so not to worried at wind when the ship is moving. The ships cruise around 20 knots so a side balcony can be very windy depending on conditions as the previous post mentioned.

If you are in an aft (back end) balcony there won't be any wind.

These balconies do cost more (premium balcony, usually), but they are very nice and absolutely no wind.

We have had winds with a aft balcony. The wind was 90 degrees from the direction the ship was traveling. It was strong and thats a day we didn't use our balcony. Its rare but does happen.

I would suggest one of the inter-island sail days that has a 5 pm scheduled departure (will have to be scheduled a few days ahead of time). That is when we scheduled our UBD on the Grand this past March. Our souvenir dinner photo has us at the railing with the sun setting into the ocean behind us - great dinner experience with a wonderful memorable photo. Highly recommended and well worth the cost. :)

...VTX-Al

I would suggest one of the inter-island sail days that has a 5 pm scheduled departure (will have to be scheduled a few days ahead of time). That is when we scheduled our UBD on the Grand this past March. Our souvenir dinner photo has us at the railing with the sun setting into the ocean behind us - great dinner experience with a wonderful memorable photo. Highly recommended and well worth the cost. :)

That works if your cabin is on the correct side of the ship for the sunset.

I want to do this on our honeymoon cruise in 36 days to the Mexican Riveria. I'm not sure which day would be better. It's a 10 day cruise. Any suggestions?

Unfortunately, I don't know how picturesque the other ports are, but sail away from Cabo San Lucas is really pretty, and it's at 5:00PM. Light should still be good. I understand that the UBD takes about two hours, so it may depend on how early or late you like to eat. I haven't checked when the formal nights will be, so that may be a factor for you too. Maybe someone else has more information. Congratulations to both of you, and I'll see you on board.