Celebrity Solstice top end Australia new Documentary

Hi,

just come across a Mighty Ships documentary new to youtube of the Celebrity Solstice doing its top end Australia for anyone doing research on this ship or cruise. I have done the solstice on a NZ trip and must say its a beautiful luxurious new trip, best suited to an older crowd rather than families with children.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9uWHQShLnI&spfreload=10

True Beanb41 but I said new to YouTube not the documentary itself. I remember when it was because we went to Newcastle harbour to see her in being her first time there. In any case an excellent documentary for those researching this ship or cruise.

We were on this cruise earlier this year with Beanb41. Solstice is such a great ship - we had a ball. A couple of things to note...

1. as 50 year olds we were in the youngest 10% of passengers by age

2. if you enjoy a drink, get the classic package under a 123 go promotion if you can and upgrade to the premium - well worth it

3. 2016 cruise has a better itinerary I think. Port Hedland has been dropped and Airlie Beach added and you get a full day at Cairns/Yorkeys Knob rather than arrive at 1pm like we did (and then had weather affected tender problems).

Cheers. Rob

We were on this cruise earlier this year with Beanb41. Solstice is such a great ship - we had a ball. A couple of things to note...

1. as 50 year olds we were in the youngest 10% of passengers by age

2. if you enjoy a drink, get the classic package under a 123 go promotion if you can and upgrade to the premium - well worth it

3. 2016 cruise has a better itinerary I think. Port Hedland has been dropped and Airlie Beach added and you get a full day at Cairns/Yorkeys Knob rather than arrive at 1pm like we did (and then had weather affected tender problems).

Cheers. Rob

Rob Port Hedland was a fabulous place to visit. Red dust everywhere and we arrived on a weekend with everything closed. Arrived at Yorkeys knob at lunchtime on a Sunday and by the time we got ashore and then were bused into town the shops were closing up and it was time to come back. Celebrity know how to stuff up two cruise ports. The reason why Yorkeys Knob is earlier in the day next year is because the ship is taking a day longer to travel from Darwin.

We didn't find the need to upgrade . The Classic package more than met our needs

Rob Port Hedland was a fabulous place to visit. Red dust everywhere and we arrived on a weekend with everything closed. Arrived at Yorkeys knob at lunchtime on a Sunday and by the time we got ashore and then were bused into town the shops were closing up and it was time to come back. Celebrity know how to stuff up two cruise ports. The reason why Yorkeys Knob is earlier in the day next year is because the ship is taking a day longer to travel from Darwin.

We didn't find the need to upgrade . The Classic package more than met our needs

Hi Beanb41, Personally I liked Port Hedland - a part of Australia I'd never been before and I find the whole mining/engineering interesting. We did the BHP tour in the bus and then wandered into the market. I'm not sure there would have been a whole lot more to do or see on a week day. Plenty of pax were less than impressed though - I think dropping it and adding Airlie Beach will appeal to the majority of pax. And yes the whole Cairns/Yorkeys Knob didn't work. So many of the international passengers wanted to go to GBR. Unless they booked the ships excursion then they would have missed out. I met some who had helicopters booked to take them out there but because of the later arrival + weather + tendering they missed out. And re the drink packages, we upgraded for $11.50 per day and when the girls wanted a couple of cocktails per day at molecular at $15US/$19AUD each it well and truly paid for itself. I'm a beer drinker and like to experience different beers all the time. With the premium package there was plenty I wouldn't have had access to on the classic. I managed to have 36 different beers on board. The bar staff were great hunting different beers down for me. If only I was on a cruise right now ........

Thanks for posting we were on that cruise so it is nice to look back on the trip thanks again

No worries Chester32, the clip also bought a lot of memories back to me of the ship, we did an around NZ trip a couple of years ago. Its funny how a sound can bring back memories, hearing that chime when you put your card in the machine to go out for excursions took me back there.

I did love the ship luxury wise but am going on the Voyager next for a bit more fun vibe. I enjoyed the fun aspect of the slide when we went on the Spirit, the only aspect I think missing on the Solstice.

No worries Chester32, the clip also bought a lot of memories back to me of the ship, we did an around NZ trip a couple of years ago. Its funny how a sound can bring back memories, hearing that chime when you put your card in the machine to go out for excursions took me back there.

I did love the ship luxury wise but am going on the Voyager next for a bit more fun vibe. I enjoyed the fun aspect of the slide when we went on the Spirit, the only aspect I think missing on the Solstice.

Yes your right Solstice is a bit more subdued our last cruise was on Radiance which is totally different . We much prefer the Solstice just the extra touches they have anyway thanks again

Great way to fill some of those cabins (if any are still empty).:D

No need to worry about that. Solstice has had a brilliant year of bookings this year - there's very little left.

It's the other lines that maybe need some more promotion!

I just hope you love the Solstice as much as I do, it is my favourite ship.:D

Thanks, Mic. She does look lovely. The only downside to Celebrity at the moment is the USD onboard costs. Makes it expensive. Still we have a drinks package included and we won't be doing any excursions as we'll be taking the opportunity to catch up with friends and family at the various ports.

I wish RCCL would base a couple of ships down here full time with AUD onboard costs, like Carnival Corp do with Carnival, Princess and P&O.

And if Solstice was down here full time doing the top end cruise in our winter instead of mid-summer she wouldn't have problems with the sea temperature being too hot for effective cooling.