Coffee on HAL Ships?

Boiler Cruiser

Unfortunately, the coffee served in the Lido and MDR are the too typical awful cruise ship coffee! This drives me nutz as there is no reason why HAL (and the other mass market lines) cannot have decent coffee in all venues. At one time HAL would boast that they only used "Seattle's Best" which is pretty good stuff. But now, like other lines they have sold out to the low bidder. Good coffee does exist, but it is only at venues where you pay. As to the Neptune Lounge, one can pay a few hundred dollars a day for a suite to get access, and then you do get some good coffee at no extra charge :).

When on HAL one can often find me waiting for my brew at Explorations.

Hank

I wish it was only a 'few hundred dollars a day' for those suites. :cool:

I don't think HAL's Lido coffee is awful. Now I haven't sailed HAL since 2013 but up until then it was decent, and yes, it s brewed.

As a point of reference: I think Starbucks coffee isn't that great (over roasted) and that Blue Bottle Coffee is great.

I have had some awful coffee on other cruise lines, like NCL and MSC (buffet and dining room; MSC specialty coffee was good). My last cruise was on Regal Princess and the buffet coffee was so-so, the coffee in the International Cafe was good.

I won't listen to anyone who considers Starbucks' decent coffee. It is consistently over-roasted, if not burnt. That's not what "Dark Roast" means! The same can be said for Peets' (another west coast abomination).

HAL's Lido coffee isn't the world's best, but I'll take it over Starbucks any day.

I won't listen to anyone who considers Starbucks' decent coffee. It is consistently over-roasted, if not burnt. That's not what "Dark Roast" means! The same can be said for Peets' (another west coast abomination).

HAL's Lido coffee isn't the world's best, but I'll take it over Starbucks any day.

Wow, we agree :D. Starbucks is disgusting burnt tasting crap. I like strong coffee but I don't like it burnt. There used to be one in the building I worked in. I got a skinny, extra hot latte. Pretty easy right? Not once did they get it right.

Another Starbucks hater here. I just can't understand how anyone can drink the stuff. But it seems we are in the minority.

Another Starbucks hater here. I just can't understand how anyone can drink the stuff. But it seems we are in the minority.

Add me to the list. Most of the slop they purport to be coffee is made from liquid concentrate and that is just instant coffee.

I cannot remember the exact cost of java in Explorations but it is only a few dollars. As 4 Star Mariners we get 50% Off of any coffee drink in Explorations so have never really paid much attention to the price. For coffee and espresso lovers it is worth whatever the cost :). On our last few cruises they were using Lavazza beans for the large Espresso machines but not sure if they also use that to brew regular coffee.

As an extra note about Lavazza, it is one of the best Italian brands (Illy is another great brand) often used in Superautomatic Expresso machines (this is the type machine that grinds the beans and makes the espresso). I have a high end Swiss made superautomatic and only use Lavazza since it is not over roasted like many US brands (including Starbucks). Coffee beans that are roasted to a point where they are oily on the outside (like Starbucks Espresso beans) will build up oily deposits inside these complex machines and cause major problems (unless you can take the machine apart and thoroughly clean it). These machines need a skilled mechanic/engineer to dismantle so that is why most superautomatic machine owners prefer to use brands like Lavazza. It is also argued that by letting the oils stay inside the beans (rather then overroasting to make the oils escape to the outside) creates a smoother more flavorful espresso (or coffee) without the bitter taste that many associate with espresso. While some folks like to see expresso beans that glisten with oils on the outside, those of us who own these expensive machines (similar to what is used on cruise ships) avoid those beans like the plague.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Not in Australia you're not. Starbucks have closed the majority of their stores in Australia because their product was not what we drink. Nobody has syrup in their coffee over here. We drink strong espresso coffee over here. Lavazza is quite popular.

We have to order double shot coffees in the Explorations Cafe to even get close to a decent coffee.

I tend to think Starbucks is about paying $3+ for the feeling that you treated yourself to something special, mixed with with some lingering hipness or cachet.

Yeah, the Lido coffee isn't that good, but drunk black it's good enough (I always add h&h to good coffee). For me, one little aspect of any trip that hints at "roughing it" is actually a good thing (as long as it's not bed quality).

I cannot remember the exact cost of java in Explorations but it is only a few dollars. As 4 Star Mariners we get 50% Off of any coffee drink in Explorations so have never really paid much attention to the price. For coffee and espresso lovers it is worth whatever the cost :). On our last few cruises they were using Lavazza beans for the large Espresso machines but not sure if they also use that to brew regular coffee.

As an extra note about Lavazza, it is one of the best Italian brands (Illy is another great brand) often used in Superautomatic Expresso machines (this is the type machine that grinds the beans and makes the espresso). I have a high end Swiss made superautomatic and only use Lavazza since it is not over roasted like many US brands (including Starbucks). Coffee beans that are roasted to a point where they are oily on the outside (like Starbucks Espresso beans) will build up oily deposits inside these complex machines and cause major problems (unless you can take the machine apart and thoroughly clean it). These machines need a skilled mechanic/engineer to dismantle so that is why most superautomatic machine owners prefer to use brands like Lavazza. It is also argued that by letting the oils stay inside the beans (rather then overroasting to make the oils escape to the outside) creates a smoother more flavorful espresso (or coffee) without the bitter taste that many associate with espresso. While some folks like to see expresso beans that glisten with oils on the outside, those of us who own these expensive machines (similar to what is used on cruise ships) avoid those beans like the plague.

Hank

This reminds me of the story often told about when someone asked the time, they were told how to make a watch. :D

Interesting to read though. :)

I guess I'll add my two cents. I also do not like the coffee in the Lido, after every cruise when I fill out the survey I complain about the taste of the Lido coffee. The coffee at the Exploration Café is good, also the coffee served in the MDR. Why they can't serve the same coffee in the Lido I have not had answered yet.

Allan

I agree Neptune Lounge has the best coffee on the ships. That coffee maker is wonderful.

If you happen to be in Neptune or Pinnacle Suite, you will likely enjoy Neptune Lounge coffee.

Coffee taste varies from person to person. For example my DW swears that the Lido coffee is better than what we get in the Neptune Lounge. To me, I generally do not notice the difference (but then again I started drinking coffee from those awful vending machines in the backrooms of supermarkets).

Coffee is a personal taste. What is too strong and burnt to someone might be tasty and dark roasted to someone else. What another person loves as smooth might be weak as water to me. It's interesting to read what people think is "good" or "bad" but I think it's also smart to recognize that personal taste is different, and there's no right or wrong. What someone thinks is good..IS good to them.

The coffee machine in the Neptune is similar to machines you might see in a nice hotel concierge lounge. It's a kind where you press a button for a latte, espresso, etc. It's not an espresso machine per se. But it is good, IMHO>

The Lido coffee is brewed, but it's definitely a Your Mileage May Vary thing based on who brews it and how, and how long it's been sitting out. It's never great. For my taste is it sometimes drinkable, sometimes not.

The Explorations cafe has decent coffee, prices are lower than your local coffee shop. There are probably menus out here somewhere, but I recall the coffees being a few dollars, and latte style drinks about 2-3 dollars.

When in the Caribbean I prefer iced coffee, which is in the Explorations Cafe. Or I travel with Starbucks Via packets and just make my own.

Coffee is a personal taste. What is too strong and burnt to someone might be tasty and dark roasted to someone else. What another person loves as smooth might be weak as water to me. It's interesting to read what people think is "good" or "bad" but I think it's also smart to recognize that personal taste is different, and there's no right or wrong. What someone thinks is good..IS good to them.

The coffee machine in the Neptune is similar to machines you might see in a nice hotel concierge lounge. It's a kind where you press a button for a latte, espresso, etc. It's not an espresso machine per se. But it is good, IMHO>

The Lido coffee is brewed, but it's definitely a Your Mileage May Vary thing based on who brews it and how, and how long it's been sitting out. It's never great. For my taste is it sometimes drinkable, sometimes not.

The Explorations cafe has decent coffee, prices are lower than your local coffee shop. There are probably menus out here somewhere, but I recall the coffees being a few dollars, and latte style drinks about 2-3 dollars.

When in the Caribbean I prefer iced coffee, which is in the Explorations Cafe. Or I travel with Starbucks Via packets and just make my own.

Absolutely agree. It's personal taste. I believe the latte are more than $2-3 dollars. I end up paying around $2.50 for a large latte. That is after my 4 star discount of 50% but includes the 15 % gratuity.

Just as an aside, you do not have to buy coffee, or anything else, to get the pastries, sandwiches, etc in the Explorations Cafe. They are completely free for the asking.

I thought the same--was finally chastised by a worker in the Explorations Cafe' on the Oosterdam that the cookies/pastries etc. were for the paid customers only. Embarrassing! :mad:

Absolutely agree. It's personal taste. I believe the latte are more than $2-3 dollars. I end up paying around $2.50 for a large latte. That is after my 4 star discount of 50% but includes the 15 % gratuity.

That's great. I don't recall exact pricing, but I remember feeling it was on the low side to what I thought it should be. We have the 4 star discount as well, which I love :)

As said above, coffee is personal taste and preferences vary.

Imho, it's not very good. Exploration's cafe is a little better.

I bring my own fresh roasted beans, grind them per serving, fill my French press with hot water from lido and head back to the aft pool and drink the coffee I enjoy. Suzi orders from room service as she is not as picky as I am. :)

As said above, coffee is personal taste and preferences vary.

Imho, it's not very good. Exploration's cafe is a little better.

I bring my own fresh roasted beans, grind them per serving, fill my French press with hot water from lido and head back to the aft pool and drink the coffee I enjoy. Suzi orders from room service as she is not as picky as I am. :)

We've always found the room service, dining room, and Lido coffee to be fine. (I'm all about the caffeine. ) My lovely wife is fond of the Neptune Lounge coffee, especially the cappuccino.

I'd be inclined to try the regular coffee. If you don't like it, the Explorations Cafe serves Torrefazione Italia. It's a former coffee roaster and café franchise, now a high-end brand of *Starbucks* coffee beans. That's why I get a chuckle when people don't like the Explorations Cafe, because it's not... you know... Starbucks. I guess that's technically true, because I've never had someone at the Explorations Cafe get my name wrong, whereas it's practically a requirement at Starbucks.

The Explorations Cafe is a deal, by the way. We have an upcoming cruise on Celebrity and the coffee prices are 40%+ higher. Our local Starbucks is 50%+ higher.

Edited by POA1

I thought the same--was finally chastised by a worker in the Explorations Cafe' on the Oosterdam that the cookies/pastries etc. were for the paid customers only. Embarrassing! :mad:

Glad you posted this - that's been my experience also. Not being a coffee drinker, I've never succeeded in getting anything at Explorations. What a world of difference from Princess' International Café, which HAL would do well to adopt, at least in some form.

We came off a Princess cruise in Feb. Our first in some time. Spent a lot of time in their International Café. It was wonderful

-open 24hrs day

-food items are available to everyone, you do not have to get a coffee/tea

-no charge for teas

-no charge for brewed coffee...not the slop they serve in the buffet either. It was good, freshly brewed coffee that actually tasted like coffee

-about 1/3 time the servers never bothered 'punching' our ticket.

-excellent caps with a double shot....my morning elixier X 3

-food included the usual pastries plus salad and sandwich items.

Top notch in our estimation.

On RCI, the coffee is not good. But, as Diamond members (cabin does not matter) we had access to the Diamond Lounge. Great coffee/coffee machines all day long. Continental breakfast and food all day long. Wine, bar service at night. They had a Starbucks on board but we never bothered with it since the coffee in the Diamond lounge was so good and it was gratis.