The worrisome phone call

Kenster

I got the call from Avalon a couple of days ago (voice mail) advising me to contact our cruise director 24 hours before our departure. The caller said there is a possibility that we will board in Bratislava instead of Vienna for our westbound cruise to Amsterdam.

That doesn't make sense to me. If we can't board in Vienna, why travel an hour farther East on the Danube and still have to sail through Vienna on our way west?

Confused.

Fortunately, there is a lot of rain in the forecast for this region in the next several days. We board next Sunday afternoon (10/25) Illumination.

I got the call from Avalon a couple of days ago (voice mail) advising me to contact our cruise director 24 hours before our departure. The caller said there is a possibility that we will board in Bratislava instead of Vienna for our westbound cruise to Amsterdam.

That doesn't make sense to me. If we can't board in Vienna, why travel an hour farther East on the Danube and still have to sail through Vienna on our way west?

Confused.

Fortunately, there is a lot of rain in the forecast for this region in the next several days. We board next Sunday afternoon (10/25) Illumination.

Don't know what problem is, but Bratislava is a beautiful city across the Danube from Vienna. it is odd, will they be giving you any time to spend in Bratislava? Is Bratislava on your original itinerary? the cities are quite close together, in fact you can take the hydrofoil from one city to the other in about an hour's time.

Don't know what problem is, but Bratislava is a beautiful city across the Danube from Vienna. it is odd, will they be giving you any time to spend in Bratislava? Is Bratislava on your original itinerary? the cities are quite close together, in fact you can take the hydrofoil from one city to the other in about an hour's time.

Maybe there is no dock space available in Vienna?

We have booked a transfer from airport to meeting hotel through Avalon so I know they'll take care of us.

Bratislava is NOT on our itinerary as it is the wrong direction. The cruise is suppose to start in Vienna and end in Amsterdam. By road, they are about an hours travel apart but, again, it's the wrong direction, so doing this because of low water level makes no sense, since we still have to sail back through Vienna and then westward. If we're going to be bused to our first stop (Durstein), why not bus us out of Vienna instead of Bratislava?

And we had special plans for Vienna.

I'm asking mostly out of curiosity. We're easy going and adventurous and getting to see an Eastern European city like Bratislava is a bonus though we'd really not like to have our cruise itinerary screwed up too badly. We want to be on the river, not on a motor coach.

Hello Kenster

Here's the information we received. I'm wondering what happens to the concert excursion we've booked in Vienna, but will wait and see. See you onboard!

We want to inform you that our Avalon Operations just advised us that due to river bridge construction on Oct25, the ship cannot embark in Vienna but instead in Bratislava.

We will transfer you from Vienna to Bratislava. You will need to call the Cruise Director at least 24 hours prior to OCt25 in order to get exact meeting point in Vienna.

Hello Kenster

Here's the information we received. I'm wondering what happens to the concert excursion we've booked in Vienna, but will wait and see. See you onboard!

We want to inform you that our Avalon Operations just advised us that due to river bridge construction on Oct25, the ship cannot embark in Vienna but instead in Bratislava.

We will transfer you from Vienna to Bratislava. You will need to call the Cruise Director at least 24 hours prior to OCt25 in order to get exact meeting point in Vienna.[/QUOTe}

When did you get that message? We haven't heard any details other than to call the CD 24 hours out.

But, with those details I think I've figured it out:

Bridge construction on the 25th prevents the ship from coming into Vienna so it docks in Bratislava.

We will be transferred from the Vienna airport (in our case) to the ship in Bratislava.

On the 26th, when the bridge construction has been completed, we will either sail into Vienna for our day of included tour and evening optionals OR we will be bused in early in the day and the ship will sail into Vienna as soon as river traffic is allowed after the bridge construction is done.

That makes more sense than doing this because the water level is low since we would still have to sail through Vienna to continue our westbound cruise.

Sound plausible? Just a guess.

See you onboard!

Ken and Karin

Does the hydrofoil operate at this time of the year. I was going to take it from Budapest to Vienna last year only to discover that they operated until September. Maybe the operate the shorter trip later?:confused:

jc

Just checked...unfortunately they suspend service end of October for the winter. There are two companies that provide service but I could only really understand one of them since I'm not really good with German!!!

We got that message on Tuesday. I think you're right about traveling to Vienna on the 26th. I thought the concert was 1st night, but I could have that wrong and it's the 26th.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the concert optional is not the same night as embarkation.

I was suppose to prebook the concert AND Anne Frank house and forgot until today. I went online only to find out that pre-booking ended yesterday. My bride will kill me if we don't get to see Anne Frank's house. We missed it last time we were in Amsterdam two years ago.

Just checked...unfortunately they suspend service end of October for the winter. There are two companies that provide service but I could only really understand one of them since I'm not really good with German!!!

All, good. When I was planning my trip last year I knew there was a fast hydrofoil between the cities. I didn't bother to check the times. then after I booked the river cruise, I quickly figured out I needed another plan for the travel between Budapest and Vienna. On the upside, unless you want to see the river bank, there are lots of windmills to be seen from the train. It worked out great and more predictable than the river traffic. Basically, the hydrofoil operates after the spring flood.

jc

All, good. When I was planning my trip last year I knew there was a fast hydrofoil between the cities. I didn't bother to check the times. then after I booked the river cruise, I quickly figured out I needed another plan for the travel between Budapest and Vienna. On the upside, unless you want to see the river bank, there are lots of windmills to be seen from the train. It worked out great and more predictable than the river traffic. Basically, the hydrofoil operates after the spring flood.

jc

To be honest, we're boat people, but I would rather take the train between these cities. In fact, DH and I are thisclose to booking Swiss Alps with Great Train Journeys in Europe. It's a British company and looks like a really nice trip.

The official noticeboard for navigation on the Danube issued an info sheet about closure that applies to ships travelling downstream from 23 to 25 October. They inform that there might not be sufficient docking spaces. Could not find direct info on bridge construction, but the closure is due to construction. So this will be the reason for the change of your cruise in all likelihood. It applies to every vessel on the Danube: "Fluss Donau, Strom-km 1935.0 bis 1872.8", that means from kilometre markings 1935.0 to 1872.8. I.e. around Vienna and Bratislava, note that the Danube is counted upstream meaning zero is close to the Black Sea.

Here is one of the boat companies:

http://www.twincityliner.com/en

It is something that just happens, like roadworks. Sometimes on schedule, sometimes not. You need to just go with the flow and if you would like special arrangements made I am sure Avalon will be happy to assist.

Bratislava is certainly interesting, enjoy!

Have a great cruise.

notamermaid

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the concert optional is not the same night as embarkation.

I was suppose to prebook the concert AND Anne Frank house and forgot until today. I went online only to find out that pre-booking ended yesterday. My bride will kill me if we don't get to see Anne Frank's house. We missed it last time we were in Amsterdam two years ago.

At the risk of posting the obvious, have you tried getting the Anne Frank admissions on line?

The cruise line will likely have spots for Anne Frank when you check in he sure and ask immediately. It would have not been a problem on our cruise to join that tour. We did get our tickets online, the wait would have been 3+ hrs without online reservations!

The cruise line will likely have spots for Anne Frank when you check in he sure and ask immediately. It would have not been a problem on our cruise to join that tour. We did get our tickets online, the wait would have been 3+ hrs without online reservations!

We just returned from going to the Anne Frank house and actually had 11:40 am reservations and we went in the reserved ticket door entrance and they allowed us to go through 1 hour before our scheduled time.

As you said the lineup outside was very long and it would take 3+ hours to get in.

It took us 2 hours to go through the house.

We got that message on Tuesday. I think you're right about traveling to Vienna on the 26th. I thought the concert was 1st night, but I could have that wrong and it's the 26th.

btke, have you received any updates?

Ken

Anne Frank House on-line pre purchases are booked up months in advance.

And it's not uncommon to wait 4+ hours to get in. Word of caution: If you are the least bit claustrophobic, you might want to reconsider this tour. The stairway is exceedingly narrow and very tight. (I was warned and did not go inside since I would have been very uncomfortable)

Edited by Hydrokitty