Dawn Drydock 2016

leekel619

Having worked for Princess Cruises (a long time ago - about 20 years ago), I went through one dry dock and can report on what I went through at that time. I am not sure how this compares to NCL, or to current Princess practices.

I worked at Guest Services. We still worked during the dry dock putting people in contact with each other and answering lots of questions for the workers on board. Our hours were a couple hours less per day than when we had passengers on board. We were still paid since we were working.

People close to the end of their contracts went home, as well as the entertainment staff. Staff such as the waiters and cabin stewards remained on the ship. Those who regularly served passengers and did not have that job to do during the dry dock were not paid for those weeks (if my memory serves me correctly). They got free room and board basically and were permitted to go ashore at their leisure basically for a holiday. Our dry dock was in Portland, OR.

Contractors were brought in and did stay in passenger cabins on the ship. I believe they ate in the crew mess if memory serves correctly.

As for the conditions on the ship...the air conditioning was down often. It was very hot and stuffy and uncomfortable to sleep many nights. Hallway lights were down at times and they ran on the emergency lighting system.

Overall, it was a very interesting procedure to work through and witness.

Been on many pre-refurb cruises. Depending on each individual contracts, some take vacations and most spend the time scrubbing every inch of the ship. For some it is a nice change of pace. For others, not so great. Spent 3 weeks on the Dawn last January. Back to Back to back. Had a great time. Love the layout. Yes, it needs some TLC. Going to be better than ever. They always take on contractors weeks before to prep certain areas. It is amazing what they can do in a very short time in drydock.

I hope they turn Pearly Knights Pub into a Margartaville! We have to wait until Oct 2017 but my future daughter in law will be on her this July. I'll make sure she takes plenty of pictures.

More likely a 5 O'Clock Somewhere?

Cv1ier4nQ44

I hope they turn Pearly Knights Pub into a Margartaville! We have to wait until Oct 2017 but my future daughter in law will be on her this July. I'll make sure she takes plenty of pictures.

Whatever they make I hope its a little roomier. We enjoyed Pearly King's. But the lay out was strange. You couldn't see the karaoke people or other stuff if you were at the other side of the bar. Hard to pass thru at times.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.cruisemapper.com/wiki/767-cruise-ship-refurbishment-dry-dock-schedule

Grand Bahama Shipyard: 20 Drydocks Scheduled for 2016

scheduled ships include the P&O Adonia, Norwegian Dawn,

Blue Lagoon to be replaced by O’Sheehan’s Bar & Grill

Moderno Churrascaria to be relocated to deck 13 9 replacing the Star Bar there)

public areas renovations

hull painting

:):):)

I hope they make the promenade more inviting by putting tables and chairs out there. Would love to be able to sit and relax with cocktails away from the crowded pool area. Also would be great for those of us who can not tolerate a lot of sun. The Spirit had this years back and it was great. If the away class ships can have The Waterfront then why can't we on the smaller ships have a nice promenade?

Edited by hladygirl

I hope they make the promenade more inviting by putting tables and chairs out there. Would love to be able to sit and relax with cocktails away from the crowded pool area. Also would be great for those of us who can not tolerate a lot of sun. The Spirit had this years back and it was great. If the away class ships can have The Waterfront then why can't we on the smaller ships have a nice promenade?

I recently made the same comments! It would be amazing if they could introduce some of the "waterfront" concept within the promenade.

My only concern... I wonder if they're restricted because it serves as the lifeboat access area. On the BA/Escape, the waterfront sits 1 deck above the lifeboat area.

But we can hope...

I recently made the same comments! It would be amazing if they could introduce some of the "waterfront" concept within the promenade.

My only concern... I wonder if they're restricted because it serves as the lifeboat access area. On the BA/Escape, the waterfront sits 1 deck above the lifeboat area.

But we can hope...

Then why did the Spirit have tables and chairs. That was the lifeboat deck also.

Then why did the Spirit have tables and chairs. That was the lifeboat deck also.

That would depend on whether the original design included the tables and chairs. Adding obstructions without increasing the size of the promenade deck would not be allowed.

I know Moderno will move to where the Star Bar is right now, and that will then be the suite/VIP breakfast and lunch place. And Blue Lagoon will change to O'Sheehan's. I can't remember the other changes the HD told us about back at Thanksgiving. We will be on again for Thanksgiving, so we shall see! Makes me wish I'd taken more photos of the ship to compare....

Sad to hear about the Star Bar. It was always one of my favorite places.

Rather than replace a Pub with a for fee food venue (Margaritaville), it seems like a better option would be to replace Pearly Knights with another bar, like the Five O'Clock Somewhere Bar, a really great place on the Escape. Here's hoping that's the plan, especially if the Star Bar is gone.

Edited by punkincc

I loved the Star Bar and would be sad to see it leave the Dawn as well. What really needs an overhaul is the Spinnakers Lounge. The placement was horrible from when they moved it. They need to brighten it up quite a bit or put windows out to the Promenade Deck. They also need to put sound proofing in there so it's a proper disco without noise complaints from above. Either put in sound proofing or re-do the sound system to have directional bass projection. :cool: They completely ruined sailing out of Boston for me as I've been to Bermuda too many times and the Dawn isn't that enjoyable. Now I have to go to NYC and well there's far more options there than NCL. :eek:

I loved the Star Bar and would be sad to see it leave the Dawn as well. What really needs an overhaul is the Spinnakers Lounge. The placement was horrible from when they moved it. They need to brighten it up quite a bit or put windows out to the Promenade Deck. They also need to put sound proofing in there so it's a proper disco without noise complaints from above. Either put in sound proofing or re-do the sound system to have directional bass projection. :cool: They completely ruined sailing out of Boston for me as I've been to Bermuda too many times and the Dawn isn't that enjoyable. Now I have to go to NYC and well there's far more options there than NCL. :eek:

You got that right. :)

Whatever they make I hope its a little roomier. We enjoyed Pearly King's. But the lay out was strange. You couldn't see the karaoke people or other stuff if you were at the other side of the bar. Hard to pass thru at times.

I completely agree! We were on the Dawn in December and had a wonderful time. We hung out in Pearly Kings a lot, but that layout was awful! That was really my only complaint about the ship. I hope they open it up.

Don't know of a book, but this TV show is pretty interesting:

Parts 2 through 5 also on Youtube.

Thanks for this link. I watched all the episodes and it has taken up my last 3 nights of "free" time. :eek: :p Man that was a lot of work and an extensive make over!

Sad to hear about the Star Bar. It was always one of my favorite places.

Rather than replace a Pub with a for fee food venue (Margaritaville), it seems like a better option would be to replace Pearly Knights with another bar, like the Five O'Clock Somewhere Bar, a really great place on the Escape. Here's hoping that's the plan, especially if the Star Bar is gone.

The Gem has a similar set up with Cagney's and Moderno the Star bar was still there. Moderno was behind the bar.

• 5 weeks later...
The Gem has a similar set up with Cagney's and Moderno the Star bar was still there. Moderno was behind the bar.

Picked up from another thread that the word is that the Star Bar will become the Sugarcane Mojito Bar, which I love on the Getaway and Escape, but sadly probably not the same atmosphere as the Star Bar of old. Ah, those nights of drinking Two for One Martinis and singing along with Fabrizio at the piano.

Picked up from another thread that the word is that the Star Bar will become the Sugarcane Mojito Bar, which I love on the Getaway and Escape, but sadly probably not the same atmosphere as the Star Bar of old. Ah, those nights of drinking Two for One Martinis and singing along with Fabrizio at the piano.

Moderno is moving up to the 13th deck and will be going where the Star Bar was......O'sheehans will be taking over the entire 8th deck in the atrium...

I completely agree! We were on the Dawn in December and had a wonderful time. We hung out in Pearly Kings a lot, but that layout was awful! That was really my only complaint about the ship. I hope they open it up.

Me too

Will they be updating the 2 bedroom suites? We booked this again this year for the family. Loved it last time on the Dawn so just curious.

I just read they will have a breakfast & lunch area for suites so does that mean no Cagney's for this now?

With the atrium changes Auntie will think she is on a different ship :). We are having her 95th. birthday on board. She is sharp and active so she will notice all the changes. This will be fun thanks everybody.

Will they be updating the 2 bedroom suites? We booked this again this year for the family. Loved it last time on the Dawn so just curious.

The physical layout of the room will not change.

They will normally replace all of the furniture (so you will have a nice fluffy bed), carpeting, curtains, bathroom floors, bathroom fittings. For an older ship like the Dawn, they will probably replace the counters and sinks in the suites. Say bye bye to your Lavassa coffee maker and welcome the new [cheaper] Nespresso system.

They may/may not replace/paint walls and art work. On a recent cruise we did post dry dock, they had not touched the walls in the suites. And any electrical work they did was behind the walls. They did install a new wifi router in the room for both wifi and the voip handiphone.

We are on the Dawn in September in a SE Forward Facing Penthouse,,,, so we are anxious to see all of the changes too!