Big Announcement coming soon (Week of 10/26?)

InTheWASide

I hope this new announcement will be something better than the last big splash -- Fathom.

That was a Carnival Corporation announcement. Everything I've been told and found online points that this is a HAL announcement re: branding, etc as mentioned in the original post

I wonder if the October meeting is simply the regular get together for the senior officers on all of the HAL ships. I recall reading the following last week on the blog by “arzz” on the “Tales of the South Pacific 2015” cruise going on right now.

…It seems Captain Eversen along with Henk Mensink (Hotel Director) and Christel Mensink (Guest Relations Manager) will be leaving us on October 22 (when we are in Apia) and returning on November 4 (when we are in Papeete). According to today's "On Location" they are being required to represent the vessel for Holland America Line in a pending legal matter...

So the senior officers from at least the Amsterdam are likely attending the meeting. This meeting would, of course, be a great place to announce any future plans for Holland America.

Scott & Karen

That might explain NYC... HAL has their Senior Management Conference (SMC) and it tends to be in different locations every year. Sometimes it has been places that have nothing to do with anything and other times it has been in Seattle, south Florida, etc. If they were to have it in NYC it may just be convenient enough to, as others also mentioned, take the approach of "and we're already here with more media access... let's make a huge "future of the brand" announcement

I wonder if the October meeting is simply the regular get together for the senior officers on all of the HAL ships. I recall reading the following last week on the blog by “arzz” on the “Tales of the South Pacific 2015” cruise going on right now.

…It seems Captain Eversen along with Henk Mensink (Hotel Director) and Christel Mensink (Guest Relations Manager) will be leaving us on October 22 (when we are in Apia) and returning on November 4 (when we are in Papeete). According to today's "On Location" they are being required to represent the vessel for Holland America Line in a pending legal matter...

So the senior officers from at least the Amsterdam are likely attending the meeting. This meeting would, of course, be a great place to announce any future plans for Holland America.

Scott & Karen

"Legal matter"?

Interesting choice of words there.

Scott & Karen

In June or July all the senior officers had their meetings in Miami and look what happened: no officers at CC meetings, no VIP parties, no Captain's Receptions.....

Senior Management meetings are usually late spring/early summer and not likely to be in NYC.

qsuzi,

Please don't misunderstand my post to be argumentative but I am sincerely curious why you think this would be a good thing for HAL loyalists?

No worries S7S -you have a great point. I do understand issues HAL loyalists would have with this. I've lived through changes that were detrimental to me on other cruise lines.

If this is truly to be a "never before done" announcement...

"a la carte in the MDR" - Some lines do this now for certain items so it would be a variation of but not groundbreaking

"non-smoking" - As I have read it seems to have gone over like a *ahem* lady of the night in church... but Carnival tried it and it didn't go over well. I've also heard an interesting rumor that the Oak Room may be utilized again as a cigar lounge on Noordam so if that's the case it wouldn't be a complete 100% non-smoking

"combined loyalty program" - We've all heard the rumors and people hoping for it for years, but if it were to happen I believe it would be Carnival Corp as a whole or AT LEAST all of the Carnival Corp North American brands... I can't see a logic to them doing just a subdivision of the corporation at random

I have suggested such a step has been in the wind for a while. For quite some time, we have seen that Princess does something, we count some months and sure enough it appears on HAL. Seabourn's headquarters having been moved to HAL's building and sharing of many executives sends a message.

I hope we don't lose blue hulled beauties. Somehow I foresee white hulls coming to a cruise line many of us have loved for a very long time. Some meaningful changes seem to have been forthcoming for a while now. Aren't Princess and HAL already connected given Stein Kruse's newly created position?

We'll see soon enough, it appears.

Holland America GROUP consists of:

HAL

Princess

Seabourn

P&O Australia

HAP (Holland America-Princess AK Land Operations)

Yes, I referenced Seabourn in my above quote as well as Princess/HAL connection but omitted P&O Australia.

Yes, I referenced Seabourn in my above quote as well as Princess/HAL connection but omitted P&O Australia.

Never said you didn't. You asked a question in a separate quote you now do NOT reference. I posted an answer in response to that

Edited by InTheWASide

Why would HAL, or any other company for that matter, provide that information in the daily program... that makes NO sense

Maybe HAL has finally been sued by Cunard for stealing their dark hulls. ;)

Bring back the HAL green!

Scott & Karen

Nope, sorry - wrongo, dongo!

Nope, sorry - wrongo, dongo!

I'm not asking at all for you to share any info! But, do you know what this is by chance (yes/no is all I'm asking!)?

Just curious if certain HALers know or if it'll be a surprise to the best part of the company ...

Edited by sppunk

I'm not asking at all for you to share any info! But, do you know what this is by chance (yes/no is all I'm asking!)?

Just curious if certain HALers know or if it'll be a surprise to the best part of the company ...

Hi Sppunk; Nope; first I heard of it

I can tell you it has nothing to do with the AMDM Capt, HD and GRM (the last one, a fine lady, is not part of ship's senior management, btw) temporarily leaving their ship to attend a legal matter.

Oh and the senior management conference has already taken place this year

Let the speculations continue ;)

Thanks. :)

I'm sticking with my gut - reciprocal travel loyalty on the HAL Group brands.

For me, it would be nice if it were reciprocal with Seabourn. If HAL is not going to replace the Prinsendam, then some will want to go someplace.

Currently there is no motivation to book Seabourn so why not try something else? I think my signature says it all. JMO.

I think HAL and PRINCESS and SEABOURN and might be CARNIVAL CRUISE LINE are all going onto one large Head Office!

There will be back room offices for accounting etc, ticketing, reservations like in the new Seattle. Technical offices might be somewhere else like in Santa Clarita. Shipbuilding.... should be in UK. Most of the shipbuilding is easier from there... and should be under one head of all of these groups and merge with the others... Cunard, Costa, Aida, P&O.

This way a new Head Office... can work together as a GROUP in the same room. Make decisions easier and on the spot. Location? New York. The Time Zone make sense also. So much of the fleet is closer. Close to the fleet in Europe, West Coast and East Coast.

A bit like the NCL groups and the RCI groups. Carnival Corporation is spread too much.

As long as HAL stays as 'Head Dog' I'll be happy. Blue Rules! :)

Just a guess.

I think HAL and PRINCESS and SEABOURN and might be CARNIVAL CRUISE LINE are all going onto one large Head Office!

There will be back room offices for accounting etc, ticketing, reservations like in the new Seattle. Technical offices might be somewhere else like in Santa Clarita. Shipbuilding.... should be in UK. Most of the shipbuilding is easier from there... and should be under one head of all of these groups and merge with the others... Cunard, Costa, Aida, P&O.

This way a new Head Office... can work together as a GROUP in the same room. Make decisions easier and on the spot. Location? New York. The Time Zone make sense also. So much of the fleet is closer. Close to the fleet in Europe, West Coast and East Coast.

A bit like the NCL groups and the RCI groups. Carnival Corporation is spread too much.

Just a guess.

I am not a business person so I don't know beans but, with all due respect to you (really and truly!!), would pax care? A HUGE announcement?

Just a guess.

Ding, Ding, Ding..... I think you are very close to right on the money. Sounds credible and all signs point to something of this sort.

I am not a business person so I don't know beans but, with all due respect to you (really and truly!!), would pax care? A HUGE announcement?

I think pax would care because the mutual management, buying, building, staffing, and identities of the three lines would merge and one would be 'too' much like the other. Those of us stubbornly loyal to HAL chose the blue hulled beauties, (many) Dutch Officers, Indonesian/Filipino (many) crew. We could have chosen Princess or Seabourn but we didn't. Same could be said for those cruise lines' loyalists.

We like the art, ship design, size, experience on HAL ships. :) It has already changed so dramatically, this kind of a merger would substantially make HAL disappear, as we know it.

JMO......

That part could be CUBA ... or no smoking. The suspense is already killing me.:eek:

Or maybe they are ringing the bell at the stock market and splitting the stock?

Cheers!

Oooh, please please please let it be Cuba! And while I'm wishing, a departure from NYC (although I'd go from Miami if it came to that).

Pearl cruises (new one-ship line that belongs to American Cruise Line) is advertising a Cuba cruise, even though permissions haven't been granted yet. So is Fathom.

Some seriously green initiative?

Private island with HAL branded hotel(s) for a cruise/stay vacation?

Really better internet (and intranet) with aps for everything you can possibly think of?

Really, we did this with what turned into Fathom and.........

I don't understand this and previous references (which may not be yours). I know what Fathom is and what they do, but what is the connection of Fathom to HAL's announcement?

I read the speculation about HAL's possible big announcement with great interest. Several of the suggestions (smoking change, loyalty program consolidation, rebranding, etc.) make a lot of sense. The possibility of some significant change at HAL makes me wonder about even more fundamental structural changes that could be in the works. Frankly, I think something is overdue from HAL, regardless of whether or not there is a big announcement next week.

It has always occurred to me that the HAL business model has become flawed and out of date. They made a large investment in smaller ships that have become a sort of millstone around their neck. To deal with the increasingly intense price competition from larger ships, HAL has been forced to cut back on service and quality in order to be competitive. But in doing so, they have endangered their reputation and are losing their brand equity. So what can they do?

They seem stuck in a perilous middle position. Their ships are too small to compete on price with the truly large vessels. Most of the costs for a cruise ship are fixed and there are huge scale economies from spreading them out over 4,000+ passengers. Even the Koningsdam is too small to offer cost relief.

However, their ships are too large to offer a boutique/luxury experience along the lines of the upscale lines. Even the Prinsendam is too big and old for this(although Crystal pulls this off pretty well).

I've always felt that HAL has some of the best itineraries in the industry. But this will be hard to sustain as they move into bigger ships. I'm leaving next week on the 50 day Med cruise and it's hard to believe they could consistently fill ships bigger than the Vista class for this type of cruise.

I fear that HAL needs to do something drastic. There is a consensus that they are losing money with their current business model. They have a large number of loyal repeat customers, but they tend to take longer cruises and spend at a low per diem. I suspect many of my fellow passengers next week will be 4 and 5 star Mariners who won't be excited about buying their umpteenth photo of boarding the ship or buying overpriced art from Park West. HAL has to recruit a new demographic in order to get out of this rut. I have a few ideas about how this could be done, but it will certainly involve taking a risk and perhaps alienating some of their current customers. It's not even obvious to me that the HAL brand has enough equity to justify further investment and that it could get rolled into another division. I look forward to seeing if HAL is ready to do this.

Back to you.... and always with respect 'cause I'm not a business person either, but the statement....

"promises to take Holland America Line in a bold direction where no cruise line has ever gone before".

Doesn't say anything about 'passengers'. Could be anything. What I wrote earlier.... that might just be the tip of the iceberg. Could be passenger loyalty between all the cruise lines.... same beds o every cruise line.... all no smoking.... all vegetarian ships. :eek:.... Could be anything.

The statement refers to specifically 'Holland America Line'. Now Mr Kruse is the leader of HAL 'and' the group of HAL, CCL, Princess and Seabourn.... he is so the one to roll out this to the public.

Stephen