Big Announcement coming soon (Week of 10/26?)

InTheWASide

HAL already has a single supplement :rolleyes: and most single people would like to see it eliminated ...

"Single guests who prefer not to share a stateroom may book a double stateroom for 150 to 200 percent of the double occupancy fare, depending on the cruise and stateroom category"

Hi Taxmantoo and thanks for this information. I would suspect most sailings are 200 percent and solo's like S7S and Cruzchic have rarely if ever been on a 150% sailing. Is this generally the situation? Does the "depending on stateroom category" vary by cruise?

Edited by qsuzi

I wish that were true relative to Princess' policy of awarding loyalty program points in keeping with the burdensome supplement that we solos pay. I'd have been a 4-star by now if only HAL would have followed suit on that policy.

Amen. Sister!!!

Hi Taxmantoo and thanks for this information. I would suspect most sailings are 200 percent and solo's like S7S and Cruzchic have rarely if ever been on a 150% sailing. Is this generally the situation? Does the "depending on stateroom category" vary by cruise?

Typically if a single supplement is something less than the 200% it's no higher than an oceanview stateroom. The 200% for most cruise lines tends to start at balcony level

Amen. Sister!!!

But don't forget that if a change is made it will most likely only be applicable moving forward... that was the case when suites started earning double days. Only for new cruises happening after that policy went into effect.

Sure it would be nice for those that travel solo, but won't do anything for those that already HAVE BEEN travelling solo

Typically if a single supplement is something less than the 200% it's no higher than an oceanview stateroom. The 200% for most cruise lines tends to start at balcony level

Until today I had not looked at what cruise lines offer single supplement but understood it to be limited where offered. What threw me was another thread where a CC HAL regular mentioned Princess with it and HAL without it. So it's good that Taxmantoo and you have "educated me". Thanks I didn't see where CC lists Princess as one of the cruise lines that offer it but have read elsewhere they do on a limited basis.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/v-6/articles.cfm?ID=419

Edited by qsuzi

"promises to take Holland America Line in a bold direction where no cruise line has ever gone before".

It can only be one thing: new napkin rings for Gala Nights.

Yes!

Sheesh.....that phrase about the "bold direction"... sounds so dated, so corny and suspiciously like Star Trek: so, maybe Mr Spock uniforms?

Really, to be legitimate and consistent with the hype, this has to be something similar to Fathom, totally new and different from anything else cruise lines do.

Edited by SilvertoGold

This News release seems to be from Last March: :confused:

"World-class musicians to be featured at "Lincoln Center Stage"

SEATTLE, March 18, 2015 /PRNewswire/"

I think the OP of this thread was expecting another News Release next week:)..

Nothing new with 'adults only'.

Saga... you must be over 50 to use their product.... and you must be 50 and over to cruise with them Used to 60 but it lowered to 50. They tried on a small 'adventure' ship for 21 year olds... raised it back to 50.

LOL hmm then I am still not old enough to cruise HAL yet and heading out for the 6th time in December...

If this event is happening in NYC. My $5 is that Carnival will spin off Holland America Group into it's own full company with an IPO where Carnival will be the primary shareholder. That will give CCL an infusion of cash without getting a loan or bond sale. Profits from Holland America Group will give profits back to CCL as dividends and any losses from the group will be kept in the group and not reflect on CCL own financials. For CCL this is a win-win. They get money for almost nothing, look leaner and meaner with a revenue stream without the liablity.

This is sorta like EMC did with VMWare.

today Carnival announced that they were joining with a Chinese shipping company and establishing a separate cruise line for that market rather than sending various ships from different divisions there for part of the year. This spinoff will get them the cash they need for their part of the investment. Perhaps they will also send a HAL ship to start their new fleet.

Edited by SeaBands

If this event is happening in NYC. My $5 is that Carnival will spin off Holland America Group into it's own full company with an IPO where Carnival will be the primary shareholder. That will give CCL an infusion of cash without getting a loan or bond sale. Profits from Holland America Group will give profits back to CCL as dividends and any losses from the group will be kept in the group and not reflect on CCL own financials. For CCL this is a win-win. They get money for almost nothing, look leaner and meaner with a revenue stream without the liablity.

This is sorta like EMC did with VMWare.

You could be on to something this would also give Hal an influx of money with many jumping in to buy the new stock. I honestly believe that Princess and Hal passengers combined use the CCL stock credit more than any other cruisers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With regard to China:

Carnival: Details on New China Joint Venture

ON 21 OCTOBER 2015.

Creating a new Chinese brand, Carnival Corporation executives said today they will “seed” the new brand with existing ships before building new ships in China.

Carnival today announced a partnership with China State Shipbuilding Corporation to launch a multi-ship new brand for the Chinese market with the China Investment Corporation being a significant investor.

Alan Buckelew, COO of Carnival, said on a conference call it was a 25-year deal with the parties committing to spending $4 billion during the first 10 years. Carnival will hold a 40 percent interest in the joint venture and the Chinese parties 60 percent.

Buckelew said that a business plan had not yet been finalized, while they are doing market research to define the brand and the appropriate sizes of the new ships.

“When we have a clear brand identification, we will move forward,” he said. Thus, no start-up date was given.

"We have modeled through four different ship classes,” he explained. “In the end, the ship (size) must be consistent with the market we want to reach.”

David Dingle, chairman of Carnival UK, also participated in the call, and was said to have played a key role in Carnival’s development in China.

He said that the new ships, to be built in China, will fly the British flag and fit within the U.K. tonnage tax structure.

Working with the China State Shipbuilding Corporation is also Fincantieri.

There's more to the whole HAL thing than this Carnival Corporation announcement... but this could be a way to offload Maasdam and Veendam if they can't sell them and P&O Australia can't handle any more expansion

I heard from a very reliable source (a friend who knows a guy that is the brother in law of a waitress at The Shanty Diner next to HAL) that she overheard the change is indeed going to be a first. She heard that they will cut one side off of 2 of the S class ships and weld them together into one huge mega island/cruise ship. Many, many more small inside cabins with shared baths.

The aft pools and bars will be taken out and the entire aft area will be a tent site for campers (like Alaska Ferries).

All food will be a-la-carte and passengers will buy food tickets from vending machines. The new "mega" will also take a page from the old Motel 6 and rent keys at the front desk to unlock the televisions. Bars will be replaced with vending machines that dispense airplane bottles and pop cans.

New, groundbreaking and never been done before!

I heard from a very reliable source (a friend who knows a guy that is the brother in law of a waitress at The Shanty Diner next to HAL) that she overheard the change is indeed going to be a first. She heard that they will cut one side off of 2 of the S class ships and weld them together into one huge mega island/cruise ship. Many, many more small inside cabins with shared baths.

The aft pools and bars will be taken out and the entire aft area will be a tent site for campers (like Alaska Ferries).

All food will be a-la-carte and passengers will buy food tickets from vending machines. The new "mega" will also take a page from the old Motel 6 and rent keys at the front desk to unlock the televisions. Bars will be replaced with vending machines that dispense airplane bottles and pop cans.

New, groundbreaking and never been done before!

Behave :D.

Piggybacking on China speculation, big news from Carnival Corp. today actually.

Cruise operator Carnival Corp said it has formed a 2.6-billion-pound ($4 billion) joint venture with two Chinese state-owned firms to launch a cruise line focused on the fast-growing Chinese market.

The 25-year deal was announced by British Prime Minister David Cameron and Chinese President Xi Jinping on Wednesday.

China's largest shipbuilder China State Shipbuilding Corp (CSSC) and Carnival Corp will buy and operate cruise ships for the yet to be named cruise line.

More at the link: http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/10/21/china-britain-carnivl-idUSL3N12L4RN20151021

This doesn't match at all with the OP verbiage but I bet a dollar Veendam is going to CSSC.

Three weeks ago in Bermuda I met the broker who is doing the deal with the Chinese. He was just talking about the Chinese building a 'fleet' of mega ships.... as in Quantum RCI ships. The problem is the Chinese do not have the expertise of building or running passenger ships. The money, but little else. I guess this what have been talking about. Thing is.... I don't see why this have anything to do with a HAL announcement next week.

We shall see.

Three weeks ago in Bermuda I met the broker who is doing the deal with the Chinese. He was just talking about the Chinese building a 'fleet' of mega ships.... as in Quantum RCI ships. The problem is the Chinese do not have the expertise of building or running passenger ships. The money, but little else. I guess this what have been talking about. Thing is.... I don't see why this have anything to do with a HAL announcement next week.

We shall see.

You answered your own question. HAL would 'run' the ships for the Chinese who "do not have the expertise of building or running passenger ships."

There was considerable discussion about a year ago when Holland and Princess were combined into a division. The President of that group indicated that there would be developments to differentiate between Princess and Holland and to reduce competition between the two. Also indicated that it would involve the Asian markets.

Since speculation is one of my favorite hobbies, this could result in Holland primarily cruising in the Orient and Alaska. Princess would focus on the Caribbean and Med with some Alaska and South Pacific.

You answered your own question. HAL would 'run' the ships for the Chinese who "do not have the expertise of building or running passenger ships."

There was considerable discussion about a year ago when Holland and Princess were combined into a division. The President of that group indicated that there would be developments to differentiate between Princess and Holland and to reduce competition between the two. Also indicated that it would involve the Asian markets.

Since speculation is one of my favorite hobbies, this could result in Holland primarily cruising in the Orient and Alaska. Princess would focus on the Caribbean and Med with some Alaska and South Pacific.

OUCH! If HAL goes East.... it will be lost forever.

The Chinese ships are not for foreign passengers coming to the ear East... they want ships for their own Chinese market... Chinese passengers.

KONINGSDAM? Black Hull, red funnel.... new name QUEEN CAMILLA! :eek:

In preparation for whatever this announcement is, I booked and paid deposit on another cruise today. Just in case prices go nuts. Now have two for 2016.:)

Looking at 2017.

Any reason will do!:D:D

Cheers!

LOL. Me too. :D

Already have one booked for 2017 and I'm waiting for Alaska to open.

Personally, I cruise with HAL, (and now PCL, since they weren't sailing from SD), because I want HAL. I don't want CCL or RCI, or any other. I want what has been known as the HAL 'product".

Just MHO.

Patti