Big Announcement coming soon (Week of 10/26?)

InTheWASide

You answered your own question. HAL would 'run' the ships for the Chinese who "do not have the expertise of building or running passenger ships."

There was considerable discussion about a year ago when Holland and Princess were combined into a division. The President of that group indicated that there would be developments to differentiate between Princess and Holland and to reduce competition between the two. Also indicated that it would involve the Asian markets.

Since speculation is one of my favorite hobbies, this could result in Holland primarily cruising in the Orient and Alaska. Princess would focus on the Caribbean and Med with some Alaska and South Pacific.

Interviews over the last year with Kruse have said he thinks Princess is more viable in the foreign and distant markets. As they are also building a purpose made Chinese market ship under PCL I expect we could see Princess move more "exotic" but short.

I discussed this at length with my husband last night... If they can get Princess more geared for a "slightly fancier mass market" by maybe having similar itineraries to CCL and RCCL but wrapped in a little more upscale package and then have HAL serving more of a "jumbo Azamara" role (more overnights, more cultural events and activities, etc... just obviously bigger ships than Azamara's repurposed R vessels) they can both effectively get their niche. We're already sort of seeing this with Koningsdam's inaugural season. Longer cruises, less "obvious" ports and itineraries. More 9-11 night Caribbean cruises. Not just the cookie cutter 7 night E Carib where they have to slash to rock bottom just to compete with the rest of the ships doing the same.

Have HAL do the occasional "far flung" voyage but really lock in on N/S America, Europe, Australia and let Princess go more nuts with the wild and exotic ports... it could be a compromise that works for two brands with a lot of customer overlap

You answered your own question. HAL would 'run' the ships for the Chinese who "do not have the expertise of building or running passenger ships."

There was considerable discussion about a year ago when Holland and Princess were combined into a division. The President of that group indicated that there would be developments to differentiate between Princess and Holland and to reduce competition between the two. Also indicated that it would involve the Asian markets.

Since speculation is one of my favorite hobbies, this could result in Holland primarily cruising in the Orient and Alaska. Princess would focus on the Caribbean and Med with some Alaska and South Pacific.

If China/Asia are to have megal ships built specifically for their market with HAL running them, where would all HAL ships be? With Ryndam and Statendam out of the fleet, Koningsdam soon to join the fleet, there are 14 HAL ships. Are you saying HAL would be giving up on the North American market?

Edited by sail7seas

I understand all of the connections that everyone is posting here on CC. All of it makes sense.

What I don't understand is what HAL have doing up on screen on Lincoln Center. Not shattering.... unless you are telling everyone that their HAL is loosing! That should be kept quiet until it is too late!

Rennaissance Cruise Line did that.... they went bankrupt.

Renaissance (still my favorite cruise line) went bankrupt because they attempted to expand too fast and got caught in an economic downturn. Their "adults only" and "no smoking" policies actually filled all their cabins...

Edited by dakrewser

I might not be the best reader of tea leaves in corporate America, but you don't put Stein Kruse in charge of several different brands if his previous organization wasn't doing well. Every time I read that "the concensus is that Holland America is losing money," all I can think about is the "concensus," riding one of the shorter school buses. Might just be me. And I've been wrong before.

I might not be the best reader of tea leaves in corporate America, but you don't put Stein Kruse in charge of several different brands if his previous organization wasn't doing well. Every time I read that "the concensus is that Holland America is losing money," all I can think about is the "concensus," riding one of the shorter school buses. Might just be me. And I've been wrong before.

The mantra that HAL is floundering is indeed tiresome on CC. Same as the complaints "it ain't what it used to be."

You can easily argue HAL is in great positioning for the future and her international appeal is bigger and more renowned than most other US lines.

I think there are big, good things in store. Well if you hate change you Koji disagree.

The mantra that HAL is floundering is indeed tiresome on CC. Same as the complaints "it ain't what it used to be."

Agreed. I'll gripe from time to time, usually if HAL seems confused in what they are doing or when fleetwide consistency with public spaces, names, policies varies widely...

HOWEVER...

it all comes down to "if you don't like it, cruise elsewhere. If they're around in 10 years (with or without your "hard earned cruise dollars":rolleyes:) then I guess they made the right decision.

Wonder if it has anything to do with Carnival's announcement today.

"Carnival Corporation & plc Forms Joint Venture in China to Launch Domestic Chinese Cruise Brand"

Quote LONDON, Oct. 21, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- Carnival Corporation & plc (NYSE/LSE: CCL; NYSE: CUK), the world's largest travel and leisure company, today announced it has formed a joint venture in China that intends to launch the first world-class, multi-ship domestic cruise brand in the Chinese market. Carnival Corporation & plc is partnering with China State Shipbuilding Corporation (CSSC) and China Investment Corporation (CIC) on the new venture aimed at accelerating the development and growth of the overall cruise industry in China, which is expected to eventually become the largest cruise market in the world.

Carnival Corporation & plc and its partners formalized the joint venture agreement at a signing ceremony held today at the Mansion House in London. British Prime Minister David Cameron and Chinese President Xi Jinping attended the ceremony, signifying both the importance of the joint venture and the prominent role that the travel and tourism industry will play in China's economic growth plans. Also in attendance were Dong Qiang, chairman of CSSC, and Ding Xuedong, chairman of CIC, along with Carnival Corporation & plc CEO Arnold Donald and Alan Buckelew, global COO for the company.Unquote

Another part of the announcement states: Quote In addition to expanding its industry-leading presence in China in 2016, Carnival Corporation & plc announced last week that it plans to operate two additional cruise brands in China in 2017. Carnival Cruise Line and AIDA Cruises will join Costa Cruises and Princess Cruises in the Chinese market in 2017, making Carnival Corporation & plc the first company to operate four cruise brands in China.Unquote

You can read the entire announcement here:

http://centurylink.net/x.php?u=http://studio-5.financialcontent.com/synacor?Page=QUOTE&Ticker=CCL

Carnival's stock dropped today but it's still at $51 & change.. Believe that's the highest it's been since 2009..

Edited by serendipity1499

Princess is already in Asia - moved the Sapphire Princess there permanently last year, and Alan Buckaloo (sp?) formerly head of Princess is residing in Asia to get all of this off the ground - I remember this from an article in the Wall Street Journal a few months ago. Why would HAL go there too.? It wouldn't be anything new, that's for sure.

Princess is already in Asia - moved the Sapphire Princess there permanently last year, and Alan Buckaloo (sp?) formerly head of Princess is residing in Asia to get all of this off the ground - I remember this from an article in the Wall Street Journal a few months ago. Why would HAL go there too.? It wouldn't be anything new, that's for sure.

HAL is already there (Asia) also with VODM ;)

Send half of the fleet to Asia and all I want is one old, small VEENDBUCKET to make summers in the Boston or NY to Bermuda. Instead RCI is now planning to put the mega Quantum ship on the run. Channel is being widened for those big ship.. I just want ONE blue ship in Bermuda!

Wonder if it has anything to do with Carnival's announcement today.

"Carnival Corporation & plc Forms Joint Venture in China to Launch Domestic Chinese Cruise Brand"

Quote LONDON, Oct. 21, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- Carnival Corporation & plc (NYSE/LSE: CCL; NYSE: CUK), the world's largest travel and leisure company, today announced it has formed a joint venture in China that intends to launch the first world-class, multi-ship domestic cruise brand in the Chinese market. Carnival Corporation & plc is partnering with China State Shipbuilding Corporation (CSSC) and China Investment Corporation (CIC) on the new venture aimed at accelerating the development and growth of the overall cruise industry in China, which is expected to eventually become the largest cruise market in the world.

Carnival Corporation & plc and its partners formalized the joint venture agreement at a signing ceremony held today at the Mansion House in London. British Prime Minister David Cameron and Chinese President Xi Jinping attended the ceremony, signifying both the importance of the joint venture and the prominent role that the travel and tourism industry will play in China's economic growth plans. Also in attendance were Dong Qiang, chairman of CSSC, and Ding Xuedong, chairman of CIC, along with Carnival Corporation & plc CEO Arnold Donald and Alan Buckelew, global COO for the company.Unquote

Another part of the announcement states: Quote In addition to expanding its industry-leading presence in China in 2016, Carnival Corporation & plc announced last week that it plans to operate two additional cruise brands in China in 2017. Carnival Cruise Line and AIDA Cruises will join Costa Cruises and Princess Cruises in the Chinese market in 2017, making Carnival Corporation & plc the first company to operate four cruise brands in China.Unquote

You can read the entire announcement here:

http://centurylink.net/x.php?u=http://studio-5.financialcontent.com/synacor?Page=QUOTE&Ticker=CCL

Carnival's stock dropped today but it's still at $51 & change.. Believe that's the highest it's been since 2009..

You must have missed this announcement was made earlier in this thread.

the way the Chinese economy is bringing down the rest of the World Markets recently all these moves of putting larger ships specifically and exclusively into the Chinese market might have these cruiselines jumping the gun--moving too fast too soon..

mayber HAL will just stick with Cuba as their target

Thanks. :)

I'm sticking with my gut - reciprocal travel loyalty on the HAL Group brands.

I think you maybe right! John Heald did a post on his FB Page about visiting the Eurodam while in Port with it yesterday and that the Hotel Director, Cruise Director and someone from Entertainment from Eurodam visited the Dream. All to share ideas, etc. he mentioned that it's time to tear down the Imaginery Walls between the different Carnival Lines, etc. I took that as maybe something with a reciprocal on loyalty. Just hope that HAL doesn't start selling off 4 and 5 Star Mariner Perks for $50 per Stateroom as Carnival has done!

I guess the changes to Eurodam while in Drydock in December by adding a Dueling Pianos where Northern Lights and Sports Bar are wouldn't warrant such a big announcement so must be bigger!

Edited by idiebabe

I'm confused (but that's not unusual). If the announcement had to do with reciprocal loyalty, why would that be a HAL announcement? Why wouldn't it be a CCL announcement?

I think IF it is that it'd just be the HAL Group (HAL, Princess, Seabourn).

Loyalty between HAL, Princess and Seabourn and Carnival... I agree, their should be. No reason why not.

Only problem.... Cunard.

Cunard... the highest level for their passengers is 'Diamond'. OK, HAL is 500 says to Five Star. Cunard is 150 days!!!!!!!

This means that any DIAMOND passenger would automatically be pushed up to 5 STAR level and over to Princess.

I'm sure there are many HAL 2 Star and 3 Star passengers who would be mighty miffed to see Cunard 150 day pax getting 5 Star benefits!

Still.. for the news next week. Not world shattering news.

I guess the changes to Eurodam while in Drydock in December by adding a Dueling Pianos where Northern Lights and Sports Bar are wouldn't warrant such a big announcement so must be bigger!

It couldn't be where northern lights AND the sports bar are. Those are on opposite sides of the ship. Not saying they won't reinvent that entire space but I can't see them building it that way

Loyalty between HAL, Princess and Seabourn and Carnival... I agree, their should be. No reason why not.

Only problem.... Cunard.

Cunard... the highest level for their passengers is 'Diamond'. OK, HAL is 500 says to Five Star. Cunard is 150 days!!!!!!!

This means that any DIAMOND passenger would automatically be pushed up to 5 STAR level and over to Princess.

I'm sure there are many HAL 2 Star and 3 Star passengers who would be mighty miffed to see Cunard 150 day pax getting 5 Star benefits!

Still.. for the news next week. Not world shattering news.

You're assuming a 1:1 exchange on days. Nothing guarantees it will be that way or that the announcement consists of this. Someone paying carnivals per diems should not be getting an equal number of credit days with seabourn. That, quite frankly, would be idiotic.

Not to mention it's been done before. Royal, X and Azamara have an exchange like this

Edited by InTheWASide

I agree.

And Princess ELITE is just 16 cruises or 151+ days. Not many at all.

It means that thousands would swamp HAL ships with all their benefits. And to be fair... 3 star HAL people would get them also.

Nice for Princess for everyone... except the 4 and 5 star HAL pax that have done hard work for it!