Opening safe while in room.

rt1092

You can all do what you like. But if you think you will have the presence of mind to push a code. After being woke up by a real emergency. To be able to get the safe open. More power to you. Like one of the other posters said "they would leave in their Tighty Whiteys"

I happen to have a Masters license and I don't go to sleep with the safe locked

You can all do what you like. But if you think you will have the presence of mind to push a code. After being woke up by a real emergency. To be able to get the safe open. More power to you. Like one of the other posters said "they would leave in their Tighty Whiteys"

I happen to have a Masters license and I don't go to sleep with the safe locked

I know I would. I have been in real emergencies and false alarms. And if I wore tighty whiteys I would not leave in them. I would put on something warm. But some might not have the presence of mind to push a code. Some might have problems with the code without an emergency. So considering what we know about ourselves or think we know about ourselves we can leave the safe locked or unlocked. It's no big deal. Leave yours unlocked. I will leave mine locked. As you say we can do what we like.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515

We photocopy the passport id pages and send them to our email account before we travel, knowing that in an emergency situation when we got to a place where they would be useful, we would likely have internet access to retrieve them, and so would focus on grabbing our go-bag of medications, cash/credit cards, cell phone and camera equipment.

will do same, but also to family members. with copies. We have a waterproof pouch we use for the beach with a loop for our neck so we can both swim with valuables in the case. This is (from a camping store)where we put our phone and credit card, tip cash, souvenir cash for excursions. I guess we will get another one for the save and a few scripts.

We were on a ship in 06 where the Captain Bang did a 180 degree turn to get a sick crew back to shore before death right out of Key West. The whole room shifted, that is how fast he flipped. My niece was down the hall in another room and we met in our hall unsolicited with the necessaries packed. Funny, we had dinner with the captain at his table the next evening and we confronted him as to what the heck.

We will pack pouch two with passports, meds, id,insurance cards for all. The other will have a few bobbles, phone, iPad We have used the one bag for all the fluff so it does not get lost in all of the critical survival measure if we are leaving. Imagines when we went and my mom was in semi congestive chest failure. Bonus, they really are waterproof, on your neck so you can be on the beach, or clearly the life raft with the basics of life as we hopefully save each other and levee the orchestra on board

i will now have to reconsider the room with the tightly whities plus a robe maybe as being pivotal Guess there is no more great night without something on huh??? Best keep

so what really happens to the ships content safes that cannot be accessed before you leave. if you keep it lock, does the cruise ship open and return it?

No after the ship sinks they claim all safe contents to pay for salvage operations..................

Edited by bouhunter

If a ship is going down so fast that pushing 4 buttons is so mind blowing I think there is little need to get anything out of there in the first place. But then, I'm pretty used to getting woken out of a sound sleep and having to make on the spot decisions.

It's a valid tip and one I am sure will help plenty of people. However, I don't even wear my wedding ring anymore, so I don't bring any jewelry. Our passports are kept in tote bag, cell phones, tablet etc can be scooped into the bag and off we go...

I read this thread and the replies with interest! It could be just me but a couple of thoughts.......

1. Why not just take those thing out the safe and put in a zip lock bag at night and put on top of you clothes that you will slip into???

But....................

2. Emergencies don't just happen at night when you are sleeping. Do you carry your things from the safe around with you all day when away from your cabin on Sea Days because you know you should go to your muster station from wherever you are at without returning to your cabin???????? :confused:

2. Emergencies don't just happen at night when you are sleeping. Do you carry your things from the safe around with you all day when away from your cabin on Sea Days because you know you should go to your muster station from wherever you are at without returning to your cabin???????? [/color][/b]:confused:

No, we don't.

I made the "tighty whities" comment but we both sleep in more...probably too much information but...

We will keep ours locked. If an emergency happens we will do our best. As for needing our ID, phone, cash/credit card, passport, etc. in such a case I look at it this way. Worse case scenario the ship goes down and we are in one of those corks bobbing in the ocean. I would imagine a few things will be true:

1) Not everyone we encounter after being picked up is going to be a complete idiot. They will understand that many, if not most, of the people are going to be without all of those things.

2) They will be smart enough to ask questions and compare the answers to the information the cruise line has in their system on the passengers.

3) If in another country they will be able to use the companies information to identify the probable nationality of everyone and put then in contact with the official representatives from the country of origin.

4) There will probably be a financial institution or a working telephone somewhere in the country to get immediate emergency funds and start the process of replacing what is needed to travel home.

But that is just my twisted logic...you may think differently.

I read this thread and the replies with interest! It could be just me but a couple of thoughts.......

1. Why not just take those thing out the safe and put in a zip lock bag at night and put on top of you clothes that you will slip into???

But....................

2. Emergencies don't just happen at night when you are sleeping. Do you carry your things from the safe around with you all day when away from your cabin on Sea Days because you know you should go to your muster station from wherever you are at without returning to your cabin???????? :confused:

I was thinking the exact same thing. Glad someone said it. :)

2. Emergencies don't just happen at night when you are sleeping. Do you carry your things from the safe around with you all day when away from your cabin on Sea Days because you know you should go to your muster station from wherever you are at without returning to your cabin???????? [/color][/b]:confused:

Yes, in a real emergency there are good odds you won't be in your cabin. YMMV but I only spend about a third of my cruise in my cabin.

During the Muster Drill I have never heard anything about taking your passports etc. with you to the Muster Station; aside from Life jacket, only warm clothing, a hat and any medication you may have. If there is a fire on board the ship surely getting out might be the only thing you should be doing?

Leaving the safe open and unlocked while you are asleep could be a security risk (more than revealing your alternative dining arrangement in lieu of MDR - as on another thread), I mean sneak thieves who slip in and quietly mill around your cabin as you sleep or any authorised person coming in the cabin who then notices your safe open and uses sleight to access it.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

Worse case scenario the ship goes down and we are in one of those corks bobbing in the ocean. I would imagine a few things will be true:

1) Not everyone we encounter after being picked up is going to be a complete idiot. They will understand that many, if not most, of the people are going to be without all of those things.

2) They will be smart enough to ask questions and compare the answers to the information the cruise line has in their system on the passengers.

3) If in another country they will be able to use the companies information to identify the probable nationality of everyone and put then in contact with the official representatives from the country of origin.

4) There will probably be a financial institution or a working telephone somewhere in the country to get immediate emergency funds and start the process of replacing what is needed to travel home.

Yes. If the ship went down or became inhabitable because of a fire you would not need any of your stuff except medications. The cruise line, your country and the country you are in are going to waive any document requirements and the cruise line will arrange for transport home. The cruise line and the ports have the passenger manifest. When the Carnival ship that had an engine fire became stranded there was a waiver issued by the US on travel documents.When there is an emergency situation they can and do waive document requirements. Passengers in that situation are not going to have to have their passport.

But....................

as I said before yes all that stuff is with me. only my 'good' jewelry for formal night is in the safe. I have a very small bag that is large enough for the passport cell phone and my glass case( prescription sunglasses which are swapped with my reg ones)

that bag is easily accessible when in the cabin at any point when I am in there and on my person when I am out and about.

A few random thoughts:

1. I'm generally quite a security-conscious individual, but I'm really not concerned about having to abandon ship. Statistically speaking, it's very, very rare that cruise liners have had to do so. No denying that it happens - look at Costa Concordia - but there's an extremely low level of probability.

2. If there is a call to abandon ship, there is likely to be some forewarning. In the case of a fire, for example, there will be an alert early in the incident preparing passengers for the possibility of the need to abandon ship. There would be ample opportunity to open the safe.

3. Worst case scenario and the ship moves instantaneously from a peaceful cruise to a full-on abandon ship: you risk losing some possessions which, if of any value, should be insured to begin with.

4. As others have noted, the lack of a passport in the case of a maritime disaster is not going to have any negative consequences on your travel home. Compared to the the reality of actually having to abandon ship, the loss of the passport is trivial, not worth thinking about.

5. On balance, IMO there's a far greater risk of me forgetting to lock my safe in the morning and having the contents stolen than there is of having to abandon ship in the middle of the night.

During the Muster Drill I have never heard anything about taking your passports etc. with you to the Muster Station; aside from Life jacket, only warm clothing, a hat and any medication you may have. If there is a fire on board the ship surely getting out might be the only thing you should be doing?

Leaving the safe open and unlocked while you are asleep could be a security risk (more than revealing your alternative dining arrangement in lieu of MDR - as on another thread), I mean sneak thieves who slip in and quietly mill around your cabin as you sleep or any authorised person coming in the cabin who then notices your safe open and uses sleight to access it.

Regards John

As far as some one breaking in goes. At least on Royal Caribbean all passageways are monitored 24/7. So they wouldn't get far. Unless the jump overboard.

Regards John

Is there no way of "locking" the door while sleeping at night? I'm referring to the set-up hotel rooms have. We always use that when going to sleep.

Is there no way of "locking" the door while sleeping at night? I'm referring to the set-up hotel rooms have. We always use that when going to sleep.

Yes, you can throw a bolt like a hotel room. I would never leave my safe open at night. The banging of the door which doesn't take much motion would be a no go. As for the crap in the safe, nothing, my jewelry, passport, cash, camera, etc are worth more than my safety.

I've never, ever heard of anyone sneaking into a cabin at night to steal stuff. That is a strange post.

Edited by BND

Yes, you can throw a bolt like a hotel room. I would never leave my safe open at night. The banging of the door which doesn't take much motion would be a no go. As for the crap in the safe, nothing, my jewelry, passport, cash, camera, etc are worth more than my safety.

I've never, ever heard of anyone sneaking into a cabin at night to steal stuff. That is a strange post.

I think they were joking about anyone sneaking into the cabin to steal stuff. There have been a few cases of crew members entering and sexually assaulting passengers.

As for the bolt, I throw it but some crew members can open the door with that thrown.

I think they were joking about anyone sneaking into the cabin to steal stuff. There have been a few cases of crew members entering and sexually assaulting passengers.

As for the bolt, I throw it but some crew members can open the door with that thrown.

John Watson's post seemed pretty serious. Not sure why you think it's a joke. I know there is a way to bypass the bolt, just like in a hotel room. The fact is, there is a bolt, just like a hotel.

Edited by BND

John Watson's post seemed pretty serious. Not sure why you think it's a joke. I know there is a way to bypass the bolt, just like in a hotel room. The fact is, there is a bolt, just like a hotel.

Maybe he as serious but I thought he was joking because of his reference to the other thread where someone thought revealing their dining arrangements for the evening was a security risk.