Advice for 1st timers

kenie

My wife has wanted to go cruising for quite a while so we're going to give it a try in February 2017. This will make a nice anniversary/valentine's trip.

We are 50ish, low maintenance and we don't drink alchohol. We generally go to Mexico in a mix of timeshares and all-inclusives.

We are currently looking at the Feb 3 14 night cruise on the Osterdam.

Seems like a good selection of ports of call and as long as I can go diving I'll be happy while the wife is happy sitting in the sun reading or doing a bit of snorkeling.

She is gluten sensitive but I'm sure the cruise lines are quite familiar with this.

We aren't sure what cabin we will try and I want to be sure she doesn't suffer from motion sickness.

Does this sound like a good choice for us as first timers?

Any suggestions as to the best place to book?

Thanks.

14 days is quite a commitment for a first time cruise, esp if you have some apprehension. You may want to try a cheap 3 day out of LA to see if you like it before committing to 2 weeks esp if you think your wife may be prone to motion sickness.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A 'cheap three nighter' does not give a true idea of cruising for adults.

They are most usually 'party hearty' loud and far more boisterous than OP will encounter on just about all HAL cruises.

Oosterdam is a lovely ship. My most ship standards these days, she is considered mid-size.

Most cruisers seem to think the smoothest ride is mid way up and mid way in the middle of the ship. You may wish to think about booking a cabin in that area. Middle of the ship.... :)

There is so much information here on HAL/CC, why not read and then post any questions that occur to you.

We're happy to try and help.

My wife has wanted to go cruising for quite a while so we're going to give it a try in February 2017. This will make a nice anniversary/valentine's trip.

We are 50ish, low maintenance and we don't drink alchohol. We generally go to Mexico in a mix of timeshares and all-inclusives.

Seems like a good selection of ports of call and as long as I can go diving I'll be happy while the wife is happy sitting in the sun reading or doing a bit of snorkeling.

She is gluten sensitive but I'm sure the cruise lines are quite familiar with this.

We aren't sure what cabin we will try and I want to be sure she doesn't suffer from motion sickness.

Thanks.

My first cruise was the Mexican Riviera on the Oosterdam! She is a great ship. I am also a 50-something, with a DH who didn't think he would like cruising but now loves it. (We do drink.) I really would suggest, since it's your first cruise, that you take a 7 day trip to start with. Splurge on a balcony--with a short trip, it's not such a big hit on the wallet, and worth every penny. Seven days gives you a great first "dip of the toes" into the cruising experience.

Just on the outside chance there is something you or your significant other don't like about cruising, or that particular ship or itinerary, in 7 days, you are back on terra firma. 14 days is a different deal--we have taken several two-week trips, and in every case, are very happy to be done. Love cruising, but two weeks is our outside on being away from home/eating more than we normally do/ready to be off the boat.

If, like most of us, you are hooked completely, you can book that next one as a 14 day extravaganza! :)

Thanks.

Your idea sounds like a plan to me. two weeks is great for a sample of cruising.

If you really want to go diving, I'd recommend contacting some dive shops at the ports of call and setting up some dives. The ship may not have good diving excursions for experienced divers and you may not want to spend your entire dives at less than a 40 ft. depth.

If you're concerned about motion sickness, then I'd recommend a cabin amidship and on a lower level.

Enjoy your cruise,

Scott & Karen

Congratulations on the cruise - 14 days seems perfect to get a real feel for cruising. A few days to settle in and many days to relax and enjoy, great port adventures, and as many on board activities as you want - or not.

HAL is very familiar with gluten-free selections and will often have these labeled. Recommend you also let your wait staff know as they can offer suggestions if you are unsure.

I do suffer from sea sickness but that has not stopped my cruising. Dramamine is my friend! Recommend a lower level and mid-ship as less swaying. A balcony is very nice to have so you will have to weigh your options. Do recommend you stay as mid-ship as possible but the ships have stabilizers so the motion is not what you may expect. If your wife does have problems, the ship has free seasickness pills at the front desk or medical center.

Although there are several opinions and options, I have used the same travel agent (TA) for years as he can meet or beat any price I can find and provides added on board credit or other amenities. Plus like having a specific person to call if any questions, problems or requests. Have found the larger the company, the better the perks. My TA belongs to a travel company consortium of many companies with provides great amenities.

A 'cheap three nighter' does not give a true idea of cruising for adults.

They are most usually 'party hearty' loud and far more boisterous than OP will encounter on just about all HAL cruises.

We're happy to try and help.

Completely agree. No comparison between that and what you will have on a 14-night HAL cruise. Those itineraries are typically rock-bottom prices, and the quick turnaround makes lots of wear and tear on ship and crew. Cruise line is also important, there are many differences. HAL doesnt offer regular 3-night itineraries, although sometimes you can catch a short span like that as part of a repositioning.

Edited by WeLoveCruising

Considering what you have posted here and on the "first time cruisers" board I think you have picked a great cruise (we're planning on taking it later in 2/2017 too). HAL is a great pick as it sounds like your DH interests are much like mine. She will be able to see many great islands and while a sea sit back and enjoy reading. I'd recommend "mid ship" and since you indicated you wanted a balcony perhaps something on Deck 4 as the balconies are larger there.

Other suggestions would be:

Do not over pack! Consider using laundry "by the bag" @ $20-22 a pop or going with the "unlimited laundry" @ $7 a day.

Arrive in Tampa a day in advance. Find a place to stay that will provide transportation to the port.

Don't over load yourself with "tours". Some islands are just as well seen without an official tour.

Google "pictures of HAL staterooms". The 1st site that will come up (we are not allowed to mention it here) will be a wonderful resource for you to use.

Join your Roll Call here on CC.

You have said that your DH likes to sleep in and that itinerary will give her the opportunity on several days and the drapes will more than block the light. Just make certain that if you leave the stateroom while she is still sleeping that you put the "Do Not Disturb" card on the door or the steward might come in to clean.

You will like the food on HAL, and yes I understand that is a subjective subject. Guess best said we like it better than Princess, Carnival or RCCL.

I'm sure as your plans progress keep coming back to this board and ask your questions as folks here can be very helpful.

Sure sounds like a wonderful anniversary/valentine's gift!

I'm also prone to motion sickness and am gluten sensitive. For the motion, I use sea bands which uses accupressure (on the wrists) to combat the nausea. It works for me. I don't even have to wear them as much as I did on my first cruise (only took them off to shower, then). 14 cruises later, I don't even have to wear them at all if the seas are okay. But I always have them just in case.

As for the gluten, yes, HAL is very much aware of those issues. If your DW was gluten intolerant, I would suggest that she fill out a special form that you or your TA could get from HAL. On that form, one can select different types of gluten free breads, pastas, etc. If she needs any special products for her gluten sensitivity, then she should fill out the form. The form needs to be submitted 30 days in advance of the cruise. Then speak with the dining room manager that first evening in the MDR. It might be easier to manage if you choose a fixed dining time for dinner but I believe it can be done with open dining, as well. I personally find gluten free breads to be rather terrible so I manage my sensitivity by simply watching how much regular bread I eat. I share my eggs benny but still have it on a regular English muffin. I don't eat any buns at dinner. I basically decide whether or not the effects of the gluten are worth eating non GF food.

I have also found that my gluten sensitivity can be managed with a probiotic every day, even if I do eat the occasional piece of regular bread or two. Before I found I was gluten sensitive, a travel doctor had recommended we take a probiotic anyway as it can help with keeping one's GI system on track. We start about a week before travelling and take it daily until we're home a week. The only time we forgot to take the probiotic was our last cruise, a noro cruise in which over 200 people got sick while onboard, where we both got sick. I'm not forgetting again. In fact, just started taking it today for our next adventure.

As for taking a 3, 7 or 14 day cruise, I agree that a 3 day cruise isn't the same and will be too small of a taste. For a first cruise, and for someone from BC, I would normally suggest a 7 day Alaska cruise from Vancouver since it's mostly in protected water of the Inside Passage (although that's where I once experienced rough seas). Given that you want to go to the Caribbean in February and are coming from BC, I think a 14 day cruise may be the way to go to justify the airfare. Or you could do a 7 day cruise and a 7 day land stay, in case your DW is concerned about the motion sickness. But between the sea bands, the drugs or the patch, she should be fine for a 14 day cruise. Just have her check with her doctor or pharmacist for advice before the trip.

Oh, and if you haven't already done so, you might want to get your hep A & B shots. Just in case.

I hope you both have a wonderful trip!

Edited by Alberta Quilter

As someone who really didn't want to take a cruise 20+ years ago, but who did because it's what my wife wanted to do, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Amongst our cruising friends who are prone to motion sickness, non-drowsy Dramamine, or Bonine are the preventative of choice. The active ingredient is meclizine. The key is to take it before you need it. Don't wait until you feel nauseous. You picked a great itinerary and a beautiful ship.

Here are some great options to experience HAL on a shorter cruise and end up in BC....Alaska repositioning cruises next May. Lots of options

May 2, 2016: 3 Day from San Diego to Vancouver - 2 sea days no port

May 5, 2016: 2 Day from Seattle to Vancouver - no sea days - see Victoria

Maasdam - May 18th, 2016: 4 day from San Diego - 2 sea days one port Victoria

Amsterdam - 5 days from San Diego on May 16th

There are also some 1 days from Seattle to Vancouver next May ($99 per person). Didn't know HAL did ONE day cruises. Yikes! (Only $99 pp inside plus taxes)

These short repositioning cruises are great values and while they are a different experience than a 7 or 14 cruise....I think they would make a great appetizer for your longer cruise....

A short cruise up the pacific coast would also either eliminate or confirm any seasickness concerns - and how best to deal with them...

Happy cruising

Pete

Edited by The-Inside-Cabin

Thanks all.. I appreciate the responses.

We live in Northwest BC so the Alaska cruise doesn't really appeal to us... She wants warm.

The first time we went to Mexico we went for a week and decided that one week was not long enough. Since then we have gone for at least 2 weeks at a time... I don't think my wife would have motion sickness but I just want to cover all the bases... :)

Can someone suggest a good agent or should I book direct? I understand that there are different perks available and that the different add-ons can add up quite quickly.

The balcony does appeal to me and I think we'll go that way...

She isn't gluten free she just tries to minimize it but on vacation it can be difficult...

Thanks everyone

I echo the earlier concern that a 14 day cruise may be a little long for your first cruise.

The itinerary you've picked stops at many of the most popular Caribbean destinations. You will though have 5 days at sea, and your stop in Aruba is brief (7:00 am - 1:00 pm) as is the stop in Cayman Islands (8:00 am - 2:00 pm). Grand Cayman is also a tender port which will reduce the amount of time available to explore the port. A quick on and off is all you can expect of these two ports. (Remember, you will want to give yourself enough time to get back on the ship before sail away).

Added to this is the fact that these ports are in the last leg of the cruise:

Day 10 - Aruba 7 am - 1 pm

Day 11 - At Sea

Day 12 - Georgetown 8 am - 2 pm

Day 13 - At Sea

Day 14 - Tampa 7 am

My advice is to spend some time researching and exploring the ship, as you will spend a lot of time on the ship during this cruise.

We have friends who just took their first cruise and it was a 15 day Hawaiian islands cruise. Bad mistake. Too long for their first cruise and the wife was seasick from the first day. Granted, they had 5 straight days at sea and you won't on the Oosterdam cruise, but they admit they should have started cruising with a shorter one to make sure they liked it. If you have any inkling that your wife might get seasick, be sure to take precautions. I suggest Bonine and the wrist bands. I have had seasickness on a couple of nights when the seas were rough and both of these helped me. I hope you love cruising as much as all of us, but a first cruise of 7 days is probably ample to make sure you like it.

Edited by kalliekae

We could do a 7 night cruise with a week in Mexico after.... hmmmmm

Where do I find info on pricing for the non-included restaurants and are there packages for beverages? we don't drink alcohol but juices, coffees, smoothies and the odd soda would be good.

On the flip side, ran into a lady who was with her wheelchair-bound husband in the laundry room on the Grand Asia cruise. He had just retired and this was their 'treat' and their 1st cruise. It was 75 days! They were having a wonderful time. Asked what they would do if they did not like it and her comment was, we do month-long vacations all the time and packing for just a few days did not seem worth it to 'try' a cruise.

If you are used to 14-day vacations, my opinion is you will be fine with a 2-week cruise.

We live in Northwest BC so the Alaska cruise doesn't really appeal to us... She wants warm.

The first time we went to Mexico we went for a week and decided that one week was not long enough. Since then we have gone for at least 2 weeks at a time... I don't think my wife would have motion sickness but I just want to cover all the bases... :)

Can someone suggest a good agent or should I book direct? I understand that there are different perks available and that the different add-ons can add up quite quickly.

We can't mention travel agents here on CC; it's against the rules. Some have had success with online agencies with getting perks and onboard credits. Just make sure that they forward your credit card info to the cruise line so that the cruise line charges your credit card. If they accept the payment and then go under, before making the payment to the cruise line, you would have some issues. Also, make sure that they don't charge you for every single change to your booking.

We could do a 7 night cruise with a week in Mexico after.... hmmmmm

Where do I find info on pricing for the non-included restaurants and are there packages for beverages? we don't drink alcohol but juices, coffees, smoothies and the odd soda would be good.

On HAL, on most ships, there are two specialty restaurants, Cannaletto and Pinnacle Grill. Cannaletto is $10/person and only serves dinner. Pinnacle Grill is $10/person for lunch and $29/person for dinner. If you don't drink alcohol, then a beverage package will not be worth it to you, unless you get it through a promotion for free (and even then it's included in the fare you pay). You could purchase a beverage card which is available in $50, $100 or $250 increments. There is no cost savings to these but they simplify your onboard account; otherwise drink purchases will show on the account each time you make a purchase.

Something I did not see mentioned:

On our first cruise (just 5 years ago) I asked our room steward how he fought motion sickness. He explained that (while he was unaffected) crew members who experience nausea eat GREEN APPLES. While it sounds simple and they are available all over the ship (even room service and the Lido buffet - see photo at the far left) we now swear by them. At the first sign of motion sickness, eat one and (for us) soon enough, the problem is relieved.

There is even a "high seas" meal on the room service menu. It consists of broth, non-fried chicken, vegetables, and green apples. On the worst night I ever had cruising (and it wasn't that bad), this was my dinner and within an hour, I was fine and ready for sleep.

Hope you find you love cruising as much as I.

Cheers!

lastdayatsea1_017.jpg.46470f4ae260caea886c9df81ebe55f9.jpg

...... I don't think my wife would have motion sickness but I just want to cover all the bases... :)

Thanks everyone

Since you will be sailing in the Caribbean the water is, usually, much smoother than in the Pacific. I'm apt to call it "gentle rocking" for the most part.

If you go ahead and book on-line with HAL getting the stateroom in the location you want you can then go ahead and follow that up with checking TA's to see if you can get a reduced fare for your booking (the cruise line pays the TA's commission you don't) or additional perks. If you find a better deal your HAL booking can just be transferred to them at no cost to you.

Currently the cruise you are interested in has a special going on that will get you On-Board-Credit and the Explore4 package. Details are: Ocean-view and above: Receive up to US$300 onboard credit per stateroom PLUS FREE Signature Beverage Package, FREE Pinnacle Grill dinner, 50% reduced deposit, and reduced cruise fares for 3rd/4th guests. Book a suite and receive the above PLUS US$300 onboard spending credit per stateroom and a FREE Canaletto dinner! Not only will you get OBC, the Beverage Package that can be used for special coffees and "smoothies" and you'll get dinner for two at the Pinnacle HAL's top line "pay for" restaurant.

Were I you I'd go ahead and book it now as this offer ends 10/31/2015 and if something better comes up later you can always change it. And, you've got nothing to loose since the money for your Down Payment is fully refundable prior to final payment.

As someone who really didn't want to take a cruise 20+ years ago, but who did because it's what my wife wanted to do, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. Amongst our cruising friends who are prone to motion sickness, non-drowsy Dramamine, or Bonine are the preventative of choice. The active ingredient is meclizine. The key is to take it before you need it. Don't wait until you feel nauseous. You picked a great itinerary and a beautiful ship.

What he said ^^^ about the Bonine. I would take it a couple of hours before the ship sails just in case. Also, if she hasn't taken it before, I recommend taking one at home some time to see how it affects her. Actually, I recommend this about any new medicine, like sleeping pills, so there are no bad surprises on vacation.

My DH's first cruise was a 7-day out of Seattle to AK. The first morning we woke to heavy fog and lots of motion - and we skipped dinner that night. It took me more than three years to get him to try another cruise!

The best veranda cabins for least motion would be on deck 5, near mid-ship (5091 - 5104) but these have shallow balconies (4.5 ft) and are the most expensive VA category.

To get a 7.5 ft deep balcony and save a little money without much increase in motion I suggest a deck 4 VB from 4133 to 4150.

SeaCalm (meclizine, same active ingredient as Bonine) is free at the front desk and at the infirmary.

Good luck!

Edited by catl331

Don't know what HAL is currently charging for their exchange rate but absolutely check this out before you book . We cruised HAL this summer and saved 10% on the exchange rate . If the rate is good you must inform Holland that you wish to book your cruise in Canadian $'s .

BTW , my wife swears by the scopolamine patch for motion sickness. Brand name is Transderm and no prescription is required in Canada although pharmacists store it behind the counter . Well well worth it .

For what little it's worth, my DH can suffer from "mal de mer".

He has finally agreed and been helped faster from the ginger pills and the green apples than all the meds which made him sleepy. I won't say how many cruises it took to get him to do it. Just suffice it to say it works.

I also like the sea bands that work by acupuncture and are quite effective for most folks. Not expensive, easy to pack and a good thing to have on hand.

My first two cruises were 7 days, then upgraded to 14. I would also recommend 7 days.

I use the patch and the wristbands. I also bring ginger gum and some oil that you put behind your ears-- never use these. I've never been sick and am definitely prone to motion sickness.