The best night for the Steakhouse?

BTromboneFrack

It depends on what time you like to eat - if you are usually early, then port days are hard if you plan on staying in port. I don't like to do the MDR formal nights because the steak options are similar, and the lobster isn't half bad. If you have flexibility, I will often wait til I find a dinner menu that doesn't suit and then see if I can book. And first night has the advantage of the bottle of wine for free.

We are going on an 8 cruise on the Conquest. Never been to the Steakhouse but want to try it this time. Any suggestions on the best night or time to go? Sea days, beach days, island tourist days? Any other tips on what you like best on the menu? Thanks.

The 1st night is usually crowded with people who go for the cheapo vino, it ain't worth it that night. The 2 "elegant" nights in the MDR have decent menus, so don't miss those. Lobster 1st time and the 2nd is usually prime rib and a different shrimp entree.

So on a 7 night cruise, the 4th night has the weakest menu in the MDR, and the last night is a good way to cap off your cruise. IMO, those are the best nights to enjoy your 8 oz lobster tail w/ butter or filet mignon with peppercorn sauce, or a smaller sized surf and turf, and another great choice is the rack of lamb.

We chose a non-formal night that leaves port later. We like formal night in the MDR and have early seating. We're planning the steakhouse for 7:30 so we don't need to rush back from port.

I don't like to do the MDR formal nights because the steak options are similar, and the lobster isn't half bad.

Pardon my ignorance, but what entrees are offered at the MDR on Elegant Night that are similar to anything offered at the Steakhouse? From what I recall, there's absolutely nothing that comes even close.

Pardon my ignorance, but what entrees are offered at the MDR on Elegant Night that are similar to anything offered at the Steakhouse? From what I recall, there's absolutely nothing that comes even close.

Sorry - I wasn't equating quality....I simply meant on formal nights in the MDR you can get lobster, prime rib, escargot, lobster bisque etc. The name of the foods are the same, but I will be the first to agree that the steakhouse is worth the $35 up charge for a huge improvement in quality.

Not that you would have, but if you looked at my past posts I am a HUGE fan of the steakhouse and have found "most" meals/service on par with our local Ruth's Chris for a fraction of the cost.

I think they are stating that there is lobster and filet also served on elegant nights, although I'm not sure they would be considered of the same quality. But for some it might be close enough so not to miss though nights in MDR. I feel that dining in the steakhouse is more for the experience and upgrade of food selections rather than more variety of food selections over MDR. Just wish they could speed up the service in the steakhouse, now that would make it worth missing the MDR. :D

If you just want the free wine with your meal, go to on the 1st night for sure.

But you can find the main dining room menus of your sailing either here, or somewhere else online. Check out the menus and you can probably decide that way.

Someone recently posted a link to the 6 day Breeze menus, and I was able to look at them and see which night had menus that would most likely be unappealing to me and the boyfriend. The 2 night that didn't have the best menuu, I booked the Steakhouse and Italian restaurants.

While "free wine" might be a calling for some. It's not like they're serving a premium wine. So not a definitive reason to selecting the Steakhouse on the first night. However, since on the first night you don't have to be dressed up for the Steakhouse, if you're not inclined to bring a lot of dressier clothes on board, the first night is a good night to go.

We typically try to determine which night the selections in the MDR aren't as appealing to us and then make reservations on one of those nights. Usually this is one of the nights not an elegant night (usually night of first full day at sea) nor the last night on the ship, when the Grand Mariner soufflé is served. DW hates to miss that and we try to be packed before heading to dinner so don't want to dress up.

Sorry - I wasn't equating quality....I simply meant on formal nights in the MDR you can get lobster, prime rib, escargot, lobster bisque etc. The name of the foods are the same, but I will be the first to agree that the steakhouse is worth the $35 up charge for a huge improvement in quality.

Thanks for the clarification. And I do agree with you, although I think that the prime rib at the MDR is cringe worthy. :o

And to answer the OP's question, we normally go to the Steakhouse on the second to last night. I feel that if I go to the Steakhouse earlier in the week, I tend not to enjoy the MDR food as much because I will spend the entire week comparing it to the better quality food that I had at the beginning of the cruise. Save the best for last.

While "free wine" might be a calling for some. It's not like they're serving a premium wine. So not a definitive reason to selecting the Steakhouse on the first night. However, since on the first night you don't have to be dressed up for the Steakhouse, if you're not inclined to bring a lot of dressier clothes on board, the first night is a good night to go.

A couple of quickie notes. I was on the Liberty last week and they offered 50% off your choice of wine on the first day. So that might be an incentive for some. And they explicitly advertised that "cruise casual" attire was accepted for the last night in the steakhouse. Yes, that would seem to mean that T-shirts and "dress" shorts were just fine. And no, I didn't witness it.

On the original question, the one time I went to the steakhouse I went on the second elegant evening near the end of the cruise. It turned out to be a fine time to go because it wasn't crowded at all. But everyone's mileage will vary. I really can't recommend a particular day other than to say if you like steak, then you should make an appointment to go sometime. It will be worth your while.

P.S. I had the prime rib twice last week and I thought both were very good.

Edited by Honolulu Blue

I like the first night (not because of cheap wine) but I tend to appreciate the Steakhouse food more. Eating cruise food all week (for me anyway) would spoil the Steakhouse: I tend to dread eating by the end of the cruise because I am so full... IMO

We like the first night - not just for the free wine or 50% off bottle (though it was what made us try the Steakhouse the first time we did!) but because it's just such a lovely way to start vacation. I have had early and late SH reservations, always at a busy time of year (teacher, so don't cruise on the off-season) and it's rarely FULL and is always almost empty if you reserve for an earlier time. Just our experience. I'm sure it varies! But the whole "it's packed" thing hasn't happened to us. Last time we went on the first night at 7, and there were 2 other tables sat! Half the restaurant WAS full by 8, but that's fairly late. And it was HALF-full.

The only thing that sucks about Night 1 is it's creme brulee night we're missing. Unless American Table menus, where creme brulee is where it's supposed to be (in my mind) on a formal night! Lobster and creme brulee is what I want in one night.

... on the Liberty last week ... And they explicitly advertised that "cruise casual" attire was accepted for the last night in the steakhouse.

This is good to know regarding the dress code! I wonder if it'll be the same way on the Glory?

you are allowed to eat in the Steakhouse more then once.

I made Steakhouse reservations for us for the third night (first port day), but I'd be willing to book the Steakhouse again on the last night (sea day) if "cruise casual" is acceptable that night.

We like the MDR food fine and tho I have heard that the steakhouse food is very good, I would much rather spend the $ on drinks, etc. Just my choice. So we have NEVER been to the steakhouse, but on our upcoming Pride cruise we will be diamond :D and get steakhouse free and figure we would make reservations for the lst night just for the free wine, plus it is a 14 night cruise and by the mid/end of cruise I am going to be SICK of food lol. :eek::p What are people saying about 50% off wine? We are really not wine drinkers, but I like my boxed wine mixed with lemon/lime soda for a spritzer! ;)

The price for the steakhouse is a STEAL! You'd pay more than the $35 just for a steak of that quality alone at a steakhouse on the mainland. We went twice last cruise and will go 2-3 times when we're on the Glory in 3 weeks. The appetizers, entrees, and dessert are just delicious. I could take or leave the salad.

The price for the steakhouse is a STEAL! You'd pay more than the $35 just for a steak of that quality alone at a steakhouse on the mainland. We went twice last cruise and will go 2-3 times when we're on the Glory in 3 weeks. The appetizers, entrees, and dessert are just delicious. I could take or leave the salad.

The last time I ate in the steakhouse I ordered 2 appetizers and no salad, and of course my entree.

I've probably eaten there a dozen times, usually once a cruise. On Friday, November 13th, I have a reservation to celebrate my 65th BDay there, and no, I am not superstitious about that date.

The last time I ate in the steakhouse I ordered 2 appetizers and no salad, and of course my entree.

I've probably eaten there a dozen times, usually once a cruise. On Friday, November 13th, I have a reservation to celebrate my 65th BDay there, and no, I am not superstitious about that date.

Oh, so you can do that? Substitute 2 of something for none of the other? Do the steakhouses on all the ships have the same menu? Anyone have one they can post? :p

We do not pre-book the steakhouse. We look at the posted evening menu outside the dining room each day, and on a day we do not care for the offerings, we book the steakhouse for that night. Love the French onion soup and the crab cake! Yum! And of course, the beef is amazing!

We do not pre-book the steakhouse. We look at the posted evening menu outside the dining room each day, and on a day we do not care for the offerings, we book the steakhouse for that night. Love the French onion soup and the crab cake! Yum! And of course, the beef is amazing!

I see you everywhere on here mom! I can't wait to go eat in the steakhouse!