Live from the Maasdam's ATLANTIC ADVENTURE

sansterre

I think perhaps we were on the same crossing, May 2011.......the island we visited was Terceira, the port was Praia da Vitoria. Haven't seen this on another itinerary since.

Our cruise was in the fall. Two stops in the Canaries, neither was Terceira. We'd love to go see some more of those beautiful islands!

Hola from Barcelona. This photo is at Park Guell which DH and I enjoyed today.

We are cruising tonight to Majorca.

Then I will post photos from all our Spain ports - so many to choose from - such great weather and good times.

The captain tells us that the weather will deteriorate as we get to Italy so we are leaving Majorca an hour early tomorrow to get to Italy before the bad weather.

Who is your Cellar Master? I had heard somewhere that our last year's CM, Miguel Borge, had "jumped ship", in fact had left HAL.

PS We really enjoyed Miguel last year. He made a lot of effort to bring on interesting wines and had some great tastings.

My friend Miguel is currently on the Zuiderdam

Terry

Valenicia - WOW - a treat around every corner. We took the public bus to the main square downtown. The Cathedral is right on the square. For a few Euro (there was a senior discount) we enjoyed visiting this magnificent cathedral, complete with audio tour. Then Hop On-Hop Off bus was wonderful. It was a good way to see the city for the first time. The architecture, both new and old is phenomenal. Please see photos!

1610289706_AAValencia-viewfrom9aft.jpg.1b2c8096404412ecd4573bb2440585e9.jpg

961162556_AAValenciabankbuilding.jpg.a5855e717c8ab3e1f197032f2fc624e8.jpg

310192481_AAValenciacentralsquare.jpg.b9421183a1a82da83b3df5250d6cc99c.jpg

1845885971_AAValenciapeacefuldemonstration.jpg.d5308fb90be9186d308c395e2937b67f.jpg

940466658_AAValenciaCalatravadesignedstructures.jpg.38426776df53d12bcc9eee28717fccaf.jpg

Barcelona (overnight)

Day one - Small group tour to Montserrat which one really has to see to understand so please see photos. While there, we were able to see the Black Madonna face to face, take the funicular to the top of the mountain, and hear the choir sing at 1:00. The rest of the day we spent at a Cava winery http://www.artcava.com

Day two - DH and I took a taxi to Park Quell. We had purchased tickets on line (4.50 Euro senior rate) enabling us to enter the park at 10:30 so left the ship at 10 as the park is on the other side of town. Park Quell, by Gaudi, was interesting and enjoyable. Afterwards, we made our way down the hill to catch the Hop On- Hop Off red line, connecting to the blue line back to the port area. Then a 2 Euro public port bus back to the ship.

2007285652_AAMontserrat.jpg.f99740a90a93a649fa9351d7629cc801.jpg

1129920095_AAMontserratchoir.jpg.63cd3736d6f31ee37e554e4e3536e194.jpg

486485547_AABarcelonaCava.jpg.81693f8da8b3cc41da51459bb4c0edcf.jpg

128053195_AABarcellonaParkQuell.jpg.9b119e1b658443587938633384d0c357.jpg

Today we continued sailing on a course of 64 to the strait between Corsica and Sardinia. The winds were on the port beam 25-35 mph today but it has been a comfortable sail and a mostly sunny day. The winds subsided during the afternoon and now at 9:00 pm we are arriving Civitavecchia. Tomorrow rain and a high of 65 degrees is expected for our excursion to Rome.

Today President Club and 5 Star passengers were invited to a “Live Cabaret Lunch” in the Dining Room, Deck 7. There appeared to be at least 200 attending this event which was simialr to a Mariner’s Lunch with blue champagne, Pacific Coastal red wine, and a choice of three entrees (veal cheeks, trout, or vegetarian). The Adagio Strings played until the toast, then the Neptunes played during the lunch accompanied by last evening’s clarinet performer Woytek and several songs sung by Mark,our cruise director (Bewitched Bothered and Bewildered, Summer Wind, and The Lady is a Tramp). The music was a very nice treat!

We docked at the Commercial dock on Friday night around 9, about 9 hours ahead of schedule and ahead of the high winds experienced Saturday. The Rotterdam was docked adjacent to us!

DH? and I took a small group tour (organized by Cruise Critic member Susan) to Rome. Except for the weather and traffic jams in the city due to peaceful demonstration on Islam Solidarity, it was fantastic. Stephano, the guide knew all the back roads and zipped us from lovely fountains, to arches, to ruins, to churches, etc. all day. We ended with a two hour tour in the Vatican with an excellent guide named Marissa. It was nearly 6:00 when we took a shuttle from the Rotterdam dock to the Maasdam dock and watched the Rotterdam leave port as we boarded our ship.

Since we had missed our early dinner and were tired, DH and I opted to have room service. At 8:00 the Captain announced that we would not leave port at 9:00 as planned due to the high winds and rough seas.

This morning (Sunday) we expect to arrive in Naples by sunset (before 5!) as winds and waves subside. Still, as I write this winds are 30 to 45 ktsl. But we are snug in the port.

Today we continued sailing on a course of 64 to the strait between Corsica and Sardinia. The winds were on the port beam 25-35 mph today but it has been a comfortable sail and a mostly sunny day. The winds subsided during the afternoon and now at 9:00 pm we are arriving Civitavecchia. Tomorrow rain and a high of 65 degrees is expected for our excursion to Rome.

Today President Club and 5 Star passengers were invited to a “Live Cabaret Lunch” in the Dining Room, Deck 7. There appeared to be at least 200 attending this event which was simialr to a Mariner’s Lunch with blue champagne, Pacific Coastal red wine, and a choice of three entrees (veal cheeks, trout, or vegetarian). The Adagio Strings played until the toast, then the Neptunes played during the lunch accompanied by last evening’s clarinet performer Woytek and several songs sung by Mark,our cruise director (Bewitched Bothered and Bewildered, Summer Wind, and The Lady is a Tramp). The music was a very nice treat!

Enjoying your posts! Thanks for the fun read.

200 at the Cabaret!! Wow!!

The last Cabaret we attended was for 4*/5*/Suite guests on a 35 day cruise. There were about 75 pax, so your 200 is amazing.

Loved this event! It went on and on with about 8 "acts" including some every good arias. Pinnacle food was excellent.

We are docked in Naples now. Windy all day but the cruise was comfortable and skies partly sunny. However, a cold front has come through and highs today and tomorrow are mid 50's. Hope for no rain as we have a small group tour on the Amalfi Coast.

I see Frank and Linda (FRANKIEDNYC) are also repeat cruisers from last year. It's a sign of just how great the itinerary is for your cruise, to have so many back two years in a row. Hope everyone is having a blast!

Our one day in Naples ended up to partly rainy. We had scheduled a small group (6 people) excursion with Sicily with Mario.com. Although we saw some lovely views, the day seemed more fit for shopping and we did spend about 45 minutes in Sorrento, Positano, and Amalfi doing just that. In Amalfi the 3 couples went different ways to find a light lunch and all of us were happy with the places we found. One couple even had enough time to see the cathedral.

The next day was Messina. I had organized a tour (also with Sicily with Mario.com) of 6 couples/ 2 vans to a wine tasting and Mt. Etna. The day was mostly sunny so we got some nice views of Mt. Etna and a nice wine tasting with 6 wines and light snacks. As we returned to the ship it began to rain, then hail!

I will post a photo of us at Amalfi Coast and another of Mt. Etna.

After Messina and Mt. Etna we enjoyed a perfect day in Athens. The weather deteriorated and we were not able to make the Olympic Village port of Katakolon. The seas were a bit rough as we continued to Corfu. But there the sun started to shine again and we enjoyed Corfu. More on that later. Photos are not posting so will try to update in a few hours when WIFI is working better.

Since the WIFI was not working well on the ship yesterday and very slow today, and because the WIFI in Cagliari was just as slow and never did post my Cruise Critic update on ports with photos, I will do a brief update on the Maasdam. Hopefully I will find good WIFI on are next port Cartagena and can post the port information and a few photos of each port.

Meanwhile, more about the ship. I enjoyed the laundry tour and will attempt to post a photo of what I otherwise cannot describe. Still, I don’t know how they are able to do nearly everyone’s laundry (most of us are 4 or 5 star and get free laundry) and return the right clothes to the right cabin by the next day!

Someone asked about the food: We have been happy with the Rotterdam Dining Room. Our Waiters are Encep and his assistant, Toni. Our Wine Steward is Michael and the new Cellar Master is Rodel Fernando from the Philippines. They are excellent and have substituted some things on the menu (potato for rice, green beans for cauliflower) and supplied me with extra cranberry or triple carmel sauce, etc. with a smile. We have talked to Chef Udo several times when he appeared in the dining room. I often order fish (trout, snapper) and that has been good and served with a delicious sauce. DH favorite for dinner is the salmon which is available every evening. We also have enjoyed the chicken available every evening; it is served with a nice brown sauce/gravy and cranberries. For several years, we have felt the beef on board is tasteless but the sauces and gravy help them. For variety we have enjoyed the Canaletto once and the PInnacle 4 times during our 35 days on board.

The ship looks good, and is clean. Our cabin stewards, Buda and Anwar are wonderful. My only complaint is the aft elevators which stopped working for two days in Barcelona and again for a day or two in Malta. Staff operated one or two elevators during the dinner hour from 5 until 9:30. Our cabin is aft of the rear elevators and I don’t do stairs well and have walking limitations so hopefully the problem is solved now.

Entertainment has been nice and varied. Last night we enjoyed Julian Gargiulo, a young talented classical pianist. Tonight we will hear singer, Roger Wright. Other recent entertainment were: harpist, violinist, mime and magic.

I have not heard exact figures but just over 100 passengers got off in Rome and about 80 boarded in Rome. Today the water is very calm and the skies are blue as we sail nearly directly West to our next port of Cartagena, Spain.

624953754_AAlaundryroom1.jpg.504cc106d2ed2fa13806eda854096a5c.jpg

452415962_AAlaundryroom2.jpg.e478303c2b1fac6a5c88fa8cc5927d76.jpg

518759484_AAlaundrypressing3.jpg.bce7894386e675d33a4e99e8294b4988.jpg

Day 30 something. I've lost track. But we are finally in a port with great WIFI, although it is not at all secure.

I still have not met the Captain. We see Randall, the Hotel Director frequently. In fact, he was at the Bullfight (and party) on deck 10 aft as we left Cartagena two days ago. The matador was the guitar player and the bull was the event planner. The bull and Mark, the cruise director, ended up in the pool. My husband took photos so I'll have to get on to post. It was quite the event with Sangria and Spanish food.

Today in Cadiz, we the ship is picking up more of our favorite red wine, Spellbound. They picked up additional quantities of it in Barcelona, but apparently this group like the wine at the discounted for 4 and 5 star passengers.

Our friends who are 2 and 4 star passengers are invited to a party as we leave Cadiz. I understand the 5 star will have an event on Dec. 13 so it is then that we might finally meet the Captain face to face. He is diligent about his announcements mid-day daily.

Today is mostly sunny with temperatures in the 60s and wind 10-20 knots.

Tomorrow we dial to Casablanca where DH and I have a HAL tour to the capital city of Rabat.

Back to Athens (a week or two ago): We were with a small group of 8 with guide William (actually the Greek name for William) in a beautiful Mercedes mini-bus which could have seated 14-16 people. Sandy and Frank organized this wonderful tour on Cruise Critic. The weather was perfect for picture taking and I took plenty as we visited the Acropolis, Poseidon’s Temple, and the changing of the guards. We stopped at Ilias Fish Tavern, a seaside restaurant near the temple for lunch, (see photos) Greece looked good and the people we saw and met were happy. It was nice to see the work on-going to preserve the Acropolis area. After the 7-8 hour tour we returned to the dock area where there are a few shops. We were tired so went directly to our cabin to rest our feet.

The weather in the Western Mediterranean deteriorated so we had to skip the next port of Katakolon/Olympia Village. Instead we spent the next day on some pretty rough seas, finally docking at 9 pm in Corfu.

1276297674_AA-Athens-Erec..jpg.21630bcddeba46cf0597f2dc5ee0fd22.jpg

1510130999_AA-Athens-Sounion(Posiedon).jpg.dc2681af57722f57cbad74e9aada37df.jpg

1308327301_AAAthens-changingoftheguard.jpg.6a099295e6332b0725879ca66516e728.jpg