A la carte maths test

KeithJenner

Yeah that does seem odd doesn't it? But that was the rate in the shops and also the rate on wine etc in the dining room etc. We were also confused as of course our rate of VAT is 20%. Nobody really seemed to be able to explain it other than to say that is the rate imposed on them. Maybe it is the EEC ruling???

Had we realised that the wine would attract a 25% fee on top of the 18% I am afraid we would not have bothered as it makes the cost pretty outrageous.

Wish I could explain it better! :eek: maybe someone else has better information.

Sounds very dodgy (and possibly illegal) to me.

Yeah that does seem odd doesn't it? But that was the rate in the shops and also the rate on wine etc in the dining room etc. We were also confused as of course our rate of VAT is 20%. Nobody really seemed to be able to explain it other than to say that is the rate imposed on them. Maybe it is the EEC ruling???

Had we realised that the wine would attract a 25% fee on top of the 18% I am afraid we would not have bothered as it makes the cost pretty outrageous.

Wish I could explain it better! :eek: maybe someone else has better information.

I was on the three nighter from Hamburg and had to pay UK tax and a second charge for the drinks on the prepaid UBP. It does not help that of course on the final account statement it is just billed as a bar charge and not exactly broken down. Guest service on board was completely unhelpful and I try to find out the details from the CE office now.

I was on the three nighter from Hamburg and had to pay UK tax and a second charge for the drinks on the prepaid UBP. It does not help that of course on the final account statement it is just billed as a bar charge and not exactly broken down. Guest service on board was completely unhelpful and I try to find out the details from the CE office now.

sorry missed talking to you on this cruise! some people I know we just never caught up with

our experience on 3 nighter from Hamburg with pre paid corks and caps was that the first 2 days no extra charges on our account but on the 3rd day where we were docked in Southampton and then sailed out into the English channel we were charged VAT

I believe the extra 5% is some sort of port tax. I'm pretty sure it was shown separately on the bills.

Whatever it was, it's a different issue to what I had, which i just thought was a fairly amusing example of what happens with everything being done by computers these days. It's obviously an error.

I've been outbid my cabin all day but there are a couple of messages on my phone so I will find out more tomorrow I imagine.

Well, on our recent Escape 'taster' cruise NCL omitted to tell us that the glass of wine my daughter ordered would incur a 25% VAT charge on top of the 18% service charge making it the most expensive glass of wine she'd ever had the misfortune to taste!

Whilst I know that it's not NCLs fault that the British government impose this extra tax, not being clear and transparent IS their fault as nowhere on the drinks menu did it mention it, nor did the waiter bother to mention it before she ordered.

isn't this like the Spanish tax? It should have been mentioned at check in, or on the daily.

wouldn't you check too, before signing the servers copy?? Or have they done away with signing now?

Yes, I spotted it before signing, but we wanted to get somewhere so I didn't dispute it. A lot has happened with my account this last week, and I'm doing OK out of it, so the $4 is not relevant to me.

The following morning, I was going through the atrium and guest services was empty, so I showed it to them so they were aware of the problem.

Once again, I've raised it here for entertainment more than anything.

I still can't get my NCL gift cards added to my account - $200 worth. They are "in contact with Miami" and it's not just me. I've let them know these hold no value for me once I get off the ship, so I fully expect the $200 to somehow (I don't care how) be added to my account.