Alaska ships with lots of activities?

tinybiny

We have only sailed Disney and have done Alaska with them once before. We are looking at doing another, but am having a hard time navigating all the different cruise line websites with multiple ships. Does anyone happen to know if there are any ships, on any line, that have a lot of activities on board? The Wonder has been fine, but we are thinking about nicer pools or other places to hang out. This will be an adults cruise - non drinkers.

We have only sailed Disney and have done Alaska with them once before. We are looking at doing another, but am having a hard time navigating all the different cruise line websites with multiple ships. Does anyone happen to know if there are any ships, on any line, that have a lot of activities on board? The Wonder has been fine, but we are thinking about nicer pools or other places to hang out. This will be an adults cruise - non drinkers.

Maybe Princess? Holland America & Princess have the most permits for Glacier Bay, if you're interested in that.

Holland America has pool areas with retractable roofs. Since you've already been to Alaska, you probably realize that Alaska is more about the destination than the ship.

Roz

I agree that for an Alaskan cruise, the ship is the last part of your puzzle....if you want pools and sunning...you do NOT go to Alaska! Same with activities....for that sort of stuff...hit the Caribbean...or go to an AI somewhere....

Alaska is about the sights! Not pools, not activities, not anything having to do with the ship.

If you have only sailed Disney you will have to face the harsh reality that cruise lines and ships are more alike than they are different.

The ships used in Alaska tend to be adequate for the task and have what I would call 'adequate' activities for their passengers.

If you are looking for activities normally associated with the Mega ships that sail out of Florida you will be rather frustrated.

As others have posted, Alaska is about the itinerary and sights to see rather than the ship.

While I would normally suggest something on Princess or HAL that includes Glacier Bay, I don't understand your preferences well enough to do so.

honestly if you want to be entertained on board the entire time, do NOT go to Alaska. you will be bored out of your skull until port call.

you want a mega ship like Royal's Oasis and Allure if you want the cruise to be all about the boat.

Thanks for the suggestions. I had pretty much written off Holland because my pet sitter who is in her 50s said that she did an Alaskan cruise with them and she was "by far" the youngest person on the cruise. She said everyone was asleep all the time on the ship, the train in Skagway, etc and she never had anyone to socialize with. Perhaps she just ended up on some senior special cruise? I'll read some more reviews about it.

Does anyone know if the adult areas on Princess allow under 21 adults? I can't find it on their website anywhere. I know Disney allows 18 - 20 to go to all adult areas, but I noticed Carnival does not. Since my cruise partner is in that age group, it is important to me.

Does anyone know if the adult areas on Princess allow under 21 adults? I can't find it on their website anywhere. I know Disney allows 18 - 20 to go to all adult areas, but I noticed Carnival does not. Since my cruise partner is in that age group, it is important to me.

I'm not sure if they allow it, but you're getting a double whammy here. You're going on Princess and sailing to Alaska, both of which attract an older crowd. Your cruise partner won't find a lot of people their age onboard (you didn't specify how old you are), and might feel out of place. Also, most activities will be on the cerebral side, rather than goofy contests and karaoke singing.

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01

I may end up sticking with Disney. The one I went on previously started and ended in Seattle, making the port times freakishly short. It looks like their Vancouver start/stop cruises have much longer port times. We had really good entertainers, but being that it was so cold/rainy most of the time, the indoor adults only areas were pretty crowded. Of course, the good side to that was that we got to chat and socialize with a lot of people. It was just difficult to get a seat, especially one by a window.

Disney cannot go into Glacier Bay. Has anyone done both Glacier Bay and non Glacier Bay cruises that has an opinion? Everyone that I know who has seen Glacier Bay says it is a must, but they never cruised without it and can't really give a comparison. Tracy Arm was wonderful and I didn't feel like I missed out or needed to see a bigger glacier. I did visit Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau, but that was a combo tour and I didn't get to spend as much time there as I wanted to. My plan is to go there via bus and not a tour group next time so I have time to walk to the waterfall and the glacier.

Everyone that I know who has seen Glacier Bay says it is a must, but they never cruised without it and can't really give a comparison. Tracy Arm was wonderful and I didn't feel like I missed out or needed to see a bigger glacier.

It always amazes me the number of things that people say are a must. :)

We've done cruises to both Glacier Bay (1) and Tracy Arm (3). One Tracy Arm day was spectacular, and the other two were basically duds since there was too much ice in the water for the ship to get anywhere near the glacier. The one sailing to Glacier Bay was spectacular. Very active day for the Marjorie Glacier, with some enormous calving. My hope is that my next to trips to Glacier Bay, whenever those are, won't end up to be duds.