For those who've done Meet & Greets in last 90 days

chrismch

In the last two cruises I went on with different cruise lines, the M & G's were very streamlined. They offered coffee, water, juice and cookies or danish - did not have anyone from the crew there. In the past, someone from the cruise director's staff at a minimum was there and at least 1-2 more. What's been your experience?

The only M&G I've done in the last 90 days was on RCI. The Cruise Director and Activities Director were the only staff present. RCI did have prizes and everyone got a small logo gift. Coffee, tea, juice and pastries were provided.

My only HAL M&G was six months ago and we had four or five officers present.

My understanding is that the procedure has changed so that officers/crew no longer attend the meet and greet. Haven't done a meet and greet in the last 90 days, but I have one I am organizing one and the area on the form where officers are advised and invited is now missing. My ship board co-ordinator explained that they no longer attend as per new HAL policy.

Edited by kazu

In the last two cruises I went on with different cruise lines, the M & G's were very streamlined. They offered coffee, water, juice and cookies or danish - did not have anyone from the crew there. In the past, someone from the cruise director's staff at a minimum was there and at least 1-2 more. What's been your experience?

In the beginning of October there was a big discussion about this on Cruise Critic.. Almost a dozen pages..

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2266030&highlight=officers+at+meet+%26+greet

You might want to read it..Many posters were quite upset about the new ruling, because they felt that some participants were discussing private tours when Officers were present..

But now you mention it happened on another line, perhaps this is going to be the norm.. RCCL will probably always have someone from staff present, only because they have some kind of an agreement or perhaps an understanding with Cruise Critic..

Edited by serendipity1499

Interesting thread. I don't usually post in HAL but saw this topic. There's another thing that is probably contributing to the disappearance of senior officers beyond the complainers: those who want something for nothing.

The travel industry in general is plagued with customers presenting themselves as "Senior Reviewers" for (popular US review site). The implication is that the hotel/restaurant/ship/resort won't get a favorable write up unless the "Senior Reviewer" gets perks and service beyond the norm.

I'm willing to bet that the senior officers are relieved that they no longer have to attend these events as they have become something to dread. :(

Edited by BlueRiband

Interesting thread. I don't usually post in HAL but saw this topic. There's another thing that is probably contributing to the disappearance of senior officers beyond the complainers: those who want something for nothing.

The travel industry in general is plagued with customers presenting themselves as "Senior Reviewers" for (popular US review site). The implication is that the hotel/restaurant/ship/resort won't get a favorable write up unless the "Senior Reviewer" gets perks and service beyond the norm.

I'm willing to bet that the senior officers are relieved that they no longer have to attend these events as they have become something to dread. :(

Absolutely correct.

totally agree as even though the staff were pleasant, it was obvious it was a pain for them. Reminds me of the mandatory dog and pony 'meet the client' shows when I was working - arghhhh

I think you are right but for a different reason. I recall LAFFNVEGAS posting, from info she had from an officer friend, that they didn't want to attend because of the lack of maintenance on the ships causing comment and questions from passengers, or something like that. The M&G's I have attended were also attended by several officers and the Captain. All good feelings and nothing negative.

hmm, not sure. I have had a captain greet me as "kazu" as he followed the roll calls and welcomed me. He knew I was doing a live thread (already started) and I didn't ask for anything nor was anything offered to me, nor would I have expected to be. I guess I live in a different world.

I think you are right but for a different reason. I recall LAFFNVEGAS posting, from info she had from an officer friend, that they didn't want to attend because of the lack of maintenance on the ships causing comment and questions from passengers, or something like that. The M&G's I have attended were also attended by several officers and the Captain. All good feelings and nothing negative.

That has been how my meet and greets were in the past and these on the Westerdam were a lot of fun. The Captain and officers either are the best fakers in the world or they were having a lot of fun too - especially with 1of4's children;)

Just returned from Maasdam 13 day Montreal to Ft. Lauderdale cruise on 10/30. We had a nice M&G, just no ship staff. It was catered.

Thanks for the update re: Maasdam M & G's.

What was 'catered'?

I agree 110% ... really a shame that a few Negative Nellies can ruin things for everyone else ... :mad:

I agree 110% ... really a shame that a few Negative Nellies can ruin things for everyone else ... :mad:

I'd rather get first hand info from someone that has ship connections. Apparently they are not coming because they don't want to deal with maintenance issues and I can believe that's true. Iirc someone appeared for a short time at our meet and greet on October 19. I'm not big on rubbing elbows with the staff. I don't care if they show or not.

I organized M&G's for the Statendam Sept. 7th RT Alaska cruise and the Sept. 21st final repo cruise Seattle to Singapore. We had five M&G's that were well attended except for the last one that conflicted with the Mariner's Luncheon and a lecture. We had as many as 150 participants. We were provided with coffee, tea, and pastries. No ship's personnel attended.

Dan

NCL's Meet n Greets come with a large number of staff. Each person introduces himself and explains his/her job. They are generally heads of departments. They take questions. This is very popular and interesting. They give out their extension numbers and encourage calls with problems.

Then one usually sees these staff members around the ship during the cruise, and they are pleasant and offer greetings. It seems nice.

I have never been to a HAL M&G but I wonder why HAL wouldn't want the opportunity to make some cruisers a little more welcome.

This has not overcome the recent NCL problems with cancelled cruises and ever changing prepaid gratuities, so we have booked an upcoming cruise on HAL and are looking forward to it. Staff or no. All our previous cruises on HAL have been Blues Cruises and not really comparable to a normal cruise.

I'd rather get first hand info from someone that has ship connections. Apparently they are not coming because they don't want to deal with maintenance issues and I can believe that's true.

I have NO ship connections, but I have trouble believing that HAL would create a company wide policy based on avoidance of maintenance issues. It just doesn't make sense to me.

I have NO ship connections, but I have trouble believing that HAL would create a company wide policy based on avoidance of maintenance issues. It just doesn't make sense to me.

It makes more sense than avoiding meet and greets because people whine. I've been to many meet and greets and the only people I've ever heard whine are outsiders that have crashed the meet and greet. I'll take the word of someone with connections any day before someone that's guessing. I've done 3 cruises on Hal this year and all 3 rooms had maintence issues. Prior to that it was rare for me to have issues. I was surprised to hear of all the issues on the eurodam. That ship is way too new to have so many ac and plumbing issues.

Spot-on!!! It's refreshing to see someone demonstrate a bit of common sense - congrats!

Surprised HAL would make it a policy not to meet with groups of customers.

I would expect employees in the customer service business to actually want to meet with customers. HAL clamors for feedback on their surveys but wants to avoid meeting with customers?

Reminds me of the old joke....The buses would run on time if I didn't have to pick up all these passengers.

Maybe there were more and more groups asking for meetings and they couldn't go to them all.....

When I set up my M&G for last month, I was told no staff would be present. I had asked if we could have someone come by to tell us about the new ship, but got a no. As CC folks are avid cruisers, I thought this would be a good PR opportunity.

I just arranged a M & G for our upcoming cruise on the Prinsendam and my confirmation states no meeting with onboard staff. It took over a month to finally get confirmation for the M & G with lots of phone calls made to HAL.

I just arranged a M & G for our upcoming cruise on the Prinsendam and my confirmation states no meeting with onboard staff. It took over a month to finally get confirmation for the M & G with lots of phone calls made to HAL.

Interesting. I got confirmation in 3 hours - one phone call. I booked 60 days out. Maybe yours was beyond there planning window?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by The-Inside-Cabin

NCL's Meet n Greets come with a large number of staff. Each person introduces himself and explains his/her job. They are generally heads of departments. They take questions. This is very popular and interesting. They give out their extension numbers and encourage calls with problems.

Then one usually sees these staff members around the ship during the cruise, and they are pleasant and offer greetings. It seems nice.

We recently spent 25 days on the NCL Star doing a B2B, and each segment had a similar M&G. The hotel manager brought the head of each operation, introduced each one, allowed them to say a bit about themselves and their areas, and shared contact info. It was all very friendly and good PR. What a shame that HAL would pass on such an opportunity.