Royal Caribbean Orders 5th Quantum Class Ship

So they will be up to five Quantum and four Oasis class ships. That's nine ships in the fleet that I'm really not interested in. Looks like that first cruise on someone other than Royal will be coming up soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So they will be up to five Quantum and four Oasis class ships. That's nine ships in the fleet that I'm really not interested in. Looks like that first cruise on someone other than Royal will be coming up soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quantum class ships don't turn my crank either. The itineraries are not to my liking and the price is REALLY not to my liking.

That's nine ships in the fleet that I'm really not interested in. Looks like that first cruise on someone other than Royal will be coming up soon.

I literally just said this to my wife! Seems Royal is doing everything they can to steer us towards another cruise line.

Maybe its just me, but I actually see Royal Caribbean coming out with a future class of ships that is smaller than the Freedom class. Why? They still need ships that can enter the smaller ports. Additionally, I think it would be rather difficult to have 4,000 people every week do an Alaskan Cruise (or wherever else the smaller markets are).

I literally just said this to my wife! Seems Royal is doing everything they can to steer us towards another cruise line.

They just announced the return of Empress - the complete opposite of a Q Class ship.

Maybe its just me, but I actually see Royal Caribbean coming out with a future class of ships that is smaller than the Freedom class. Why? They still need ships that can enter the smaller ports. Additionally, I think it would be rather difficult to have 4,000 people every week do an Alaskan Cruise (or wherever else the smaller markets are).

I truly hope that this is the case. They need a smaller class to replace the Vision and, and eventually the Radiance, Class.

Loved the Quantum esp the Classic DD[emoji8] but only 2nd to Oasis class ships. Hope we still have the vitality by then..can't handle the long flights anymore, don't know why RC won't add more ships out here in the West coast, SF

Loved the Quantum esp the Classic DD[emoji8] but only 2nd to Oasis class ships. Hope we still have the vitality by then..can't handle the long flights anymore, don't know why RC won't add more ships out here in the West coast, SF

Ever thought about taking the train? It's a bit longer but you'll be able to travel in comfort and still get to your destination. Just a thought.;)

Ovation to Northern Europe. 2nd new sails the Med year round. In 2020 maybe Alaska seasonal, or Australia year round?

Already announced that Ovation other than her first 3 cruises is splitting her time between Asia and Australia.

With 5 now in the works I'd say that Florida may get 1 of them after all. At least for winter sailings.

Already announced that Ovation other than her first 3 cruises is splitting her time between Asia and Australia.

With 5 now in the works I'd say that Florida may get 1 of them after all. At least for winter sailings.

I'd say Florida will definitely get at least one, probably only for the winters, and maybe going to Europe in the summers. Not sure where the 5th will go - possibly Alaska? Depending on the success of Explorer?

My predictions:

1. Quantum - Asia

2. Anthem - Cape Liberty (Bermuda, Caribbean, Canada)

3. Ovation - Asia & Australia

4. Quantum IV - Europe

5. Quantum V - Florida seasonally (maybe Alaska seasonally)

Since they have the Oasis class in Florida, I can't see them putting a ship there full time. Especially since it's more of an all weather type with the indoor pool and solarium.

Also by the time Quantum V comes out, the market could be totally different. The Asian market could even be too saturated at that point...who really knows. Doubtful, but just a thought.

My predictions:

1. Quantum - Asia

2. Anthem - Cape Liberty (Bermuda, Caribbean, Canada)

3. Ovation - Asia & Australia

4. Quantum IV - Europe

5. Quantum V - Florida seasonally (maybe Alaska seasonally)

Since they have the Oasis class in Florida, I can't see them putting a ship there full time. Especially since it's more of an all weather type with the indoor pool and solarium.

Also by the time Quantum V comes out, the market could be totally different. The Asian market could even be too saturated at that point...who really knows. Doubtful, but just a thought.

That was really my thinking, all weather, why put it in the Caribbean? Oh well it's fun to speculate. Chances are RCI has something totally different in mind.

Love this news! The Quantum class is Royal Caribbean's best design and one that really stands out among the rest in the industry. We'll have to see what they do with Harmony to see if she has the same wow, or just size. By the time that this new order sets sail the design will be 6 years old, that would be the second oldest design they've built a new ship of after the Oasis 4 build. This is a new trend for Royal Caribbean. They have historically delivered a record demolishing build every decade within 2 years of the decade, and often another lesser known class in the middle. I'm surprised we are not seeing another new mega build, but this should max them all out in 2020 leaving room for a new build in 2022.

With the Quantum Class as more of a philosophy than an actual design I could see them build some new 90,000-100,000 GRT ships. Build a ship without the SeaPlex, a Centrum that transforms even more than anything currently afloat. Maybe even Two70º or build that into the Centrum. I could see it happening.

Isn't that just wonderful! RCCl is going to build the fifth Quantum Class, the worst ranked class of ships in the RCCL fleet. No thank you! If this is the direction of RCCL then I'll take my money somewhere else.

Edited by skiman1

They just announced the return of Empress - the complete opposite of a Q Class ship.

I truly hope that this is the case. They need a smaller class to replace the Vision and, and eventually the Radiance, Class.

I'm interested in seeing where Empress will be sailing.

While I'd like to say we cruise based on destination and not the ship itself (especially Royal's "the ship IS the destination" thing they have going on) I guess I can no longer say that when we honestly have no interest in Oasis and Quantum class.

While I'm interested in sailing the Oasis and Quantum classes each once to experience them, I can't say I want that size ship to become the standard. I really enjoy the Radiance and Vision classes and wouldn't always want to be on a mega-ship. That said, I'm sure there are some aspects of Oasis and Quantum class that would be nice additions to a new class of smaller ships (for instance, the "interior" cabins with balconies is kind of genius). Eventually something has to replace the older ships. It will be interesting to see.

Edited by emory2001

With the Quantum Class as more of a philosophy than an actual design I could see them build some new 90,000-100,000 GRT ships. Build a ship without the SeaPlex, a Centrum that transforms even more than anything currently afloat. Maybe even Two70º or build that into the Centrum. I could see it happening.

I agree with you here. Without a smaller class, Royal will lose tons of markets that they once had - Vancouver and one way Alaska trips, Baltimore, Tampa, among other worldwide ports.

I see a ship a little larger than Radiance, with Quantum Class features, and a design that mixes Quantum and Radiance Classes - lots of glass, with some super-modern aspects.

With that said, I don't see Radiance Class going anywhere in the next 5+ years...Jewel hasn't even had her major refurb yet! I assume that as the 4th and 5th Q Class ships get released, several other Vision Class ships, along with Majesty, will get sold. Then, the new class will be introduced. Will that spell the end of the Radiance Class?

Also, who knows how long Empress will be around... Speaking of Empress, that is another thing that makes me think that Royal may be interested in another smaller class.

I think all this new quantum class ship Will finish in china , its where the money is . And rcl Will not build anymore médium class ship , scale économy goes with mega ship

Dont Forget 1 goal of rcl is to make money !!!

Not excited about this at all....Would have been for a combo of the Radiance & Freedom class...something right in between. I think RCI is missing something that would definitely be popular.

I really do believe that that will happen eventually, when they realize that they can only build so many mega ships that will only fit into so many ports.

I think all this new quantum class ship Will finish in china , its where the money is . And rcl Will not build anymore médium class ship , scale économy goes with mega ship

Dont Forget 1 goal of rcl is to make money !!!

I'm not so sure...I recently sailed on Mariner Singapore-Shanghai and the majority of Asian's onboard didn't seem to be spending...the shops were always empty...the only time I saw a buying frenzy was for the table $10.00 night items and the t-shirt sales...and they definitely didn't seem to drink...gamble yes but that was it...and our cruise was far from being sold out and priced very low..Just what I happened to personally see.