Yukon Railway excursion from Skagway

cafelovercanada

The other couple traveling with us in September did the Princess train excursion in Skagway (I think it was to White Pass). Unfortunately, it was very foggy that day. Our friends said they hardly saw a thing from the train and regretted spending all that money.

The other couple traveling with us in September did the Princess train excursion in Skagway (I think it was to White Pass). Unfortunately, it was very foggy that day. Our friends said they hardly saw a thing from the train and regretted spending all that money.

Unfortunately you can't guarantee weather. I thought that the train in the afternoon would have less risk of fog but other posters reported fog in the afternoon. You can try to book the train when you get there (risk is that they sell out). My guess is that if you want one of the tour companies, you will need to reserve in advance.

Unfortunately you can't guarantee weather. I thought that the train in the afternoon would have less risk of fog but other posters reported fog in the afternoon. You can try to book the train when you get there (risk is that they sell out). My guess is that if you want one of the tour companies, you will need to reserve in advance.

Mist/fog, can and does occur at anytime. You also can NOT tell what the weather is more, than a couple miles from Skagway. Overall, it comes and goes at will. Rarely is it complete white out the entire trip. Some times, you can have pretty foul weather going up the pass, then perfectly clear weather in Canada. :)

The type of touring requires acceptance of any weather.

FYI the Bennet Lake excursion has some changes. This is my e-mail from Chilkkoot Charters:

There has been a slight change to your tour itinerary for our Bennett Scenic Journey. White Pass & Yukon Route Railroad has informed our company recently that they are remodeling the Bennett Eating House into a museum and will no longer be serving their beef stew meal at this facility. In place of the beef stew meal they are providing a hearty turkey sandwich boxed lunch with chips, side and dessert. This boxed lunch will be given to passengers on the train portion of the trip between Bennett and Carcross. The stop at Bennett will now be 45 minutes which should give guests more than enough time to visit the new museum and participate in the self-guided walking tour.

FYI the Bennet Lake excursion has some changes. This is my e-mail from Chilkkoot Charters:

There has been a slight change to your tour itinerary for our Bennett Scenic Journey. White Pass & Yukon Route Railroad has informed our company recently that they are remodeling the Bennett Eating House into a museum and will no longer be serving their beef stew meal at this facility. In place of the beef stew meal they are providing a hearty turkey sandwich boxed lunch with chips, side and dessert. This boxed lunch will be given to passengers on the train portion of the trip between Bennett and Carcross. The stop at Bennett will now be 45 minutes which should give guests more than enough time to visit the new museum and participate in the self-guided walking tour.

This is terrible! That beef stew lunch was so good, and box lunches are gross. The train ride and scenery will still be fantastic, but switching to box lunches will make the overall excursion not as enjoyable. Having that communal lunch at long tables together, as people might have done there 100 years ago, was part of the history of the tour. I am extremely disappointed by this change.

This is terrible! That beef stew lunch was so good, and box lunches are gross. The train ride and scenery will still be fantastic, but switching to box lunches will make the overall excursion not as enjoyable. Having that communal lunch at long tables together, as people might have done there 100 years ago, was part of the history of the tour. I am extremely disappointed by this change.

Only my opinion. I couldn't care less. :) In fact, I used to rush through lunch so to be able to get outside. The "communal" bit, isn't anything I was interested in. I always enjoyed taking a look at the Chilkoot trail, and seeing the relics left behind. Never fails to have me thinking about the hardships and choices made.

We did the bus up, train back route to Carcross and was glad we did it in this order. Absolutely loved the train ride back! Fantastic scenery both ways and so varied. Above the tree line is very different. Our tour included Liarsville and we did enjoy the salmon lunch. As someone else said the gold panning was not that great but, oh well, we got to do it! Then the Red Onion. It was interesting. Very short. Had time for a look around in town because the bus driver told us he'd pick anyone back up in 30 minutes if they wanted to have a look, see. The Red Onion tour is very short.

I had to really debate before booking this excursion because it was so expensive. I do not regret it though.

We did the bus up, train back route to Carcross and was glad we did it in this order. Absolutely loved the train ride back! Fantastic scenery both ways and so varied. Above the tree line is very different. Our tour included Liarsville and we did enjoy the salmon lunch. As someone else said the gold panning was not that great but, oh well, we got to do it! Then the Red Onion. It was interesting. Very short. Had time for a look around in town because the bus driver told us he'd pick anyone back up in 30 minutes if they wanted to have a look, see. The Red Onion tour is very short.

I had to really debate before booking this excursion because it was so expensive. I do not regret it though.

Thanks Paddy for the info, was wondering if Liarsville was worth it, you seemed pleased, so that is good to know, thank you again for your response.

How did you have time for Liarsville? If you went to Carcross, those train combo tours are at least 7.5 hours. Liarsville, is at least a 2 hour tour? You must have done these separately, there aren't any combo tours offering these that I know of? Please clarify for others who are interested in doing both of these.

• 2 weeks later...
We booked a "train up/bus down" round trip thru Chilkoot--nice option, leaving us a lot of time in town in Skagway. I've said before that I think that the rail round trip would be kind of repetative, but that's just my opinion. (Also bears mentioning that the bus is a small 20-ish passenger minibus--not a huge motorcoach, so the tour didn't ever feel crowded.)

Did you book this tour on your own or through the cruise line? Thanks for any help.

As others have said, numerous distance options exist. Some of these are offered as round-trip or one-way (with an alternate means of transport the other way), while some are one-way only. The one-way options (aside from the train up, bike down option...) are potentially only offered in one direction on a given day, moreso for the longer routes. The full run to Carcross is almost definitely a one-way option only.

We did the Bennett Lake/Carcross run in '12 and certainly enjoyed it. It was unseasonably warm, and with the wood stoves going in each of the cars, it did get warm after lunch, resulting in a lot of naps during the final leg. The train stopped in Carcross to let all of the passengers off, then turned around (for the next day's run) and parked on the siding. As the passengers got on their respective buses, the crew got into a van and drove back to Skagway. I'm sure that the next run was in the opposite direction.

Overall, I've heard that the longer the train ride, the more enjoyable people found it to be. Not absolute, but certainly a trend I've gathered.

We are looking into the Yukon Train and Bus with Dog Kart Experience with Chilkoot. Besides the hour difference in the departure times (train leaves at 7:30 and the bus leaves at 8:30), is there a preference in taking the train or bus first and why?

We are looking into the Yukon Train and Bus with Dog Kart Experience with Chilkoot. Besides the hour difference in the departure times (train leaves at 7:30 and the bus leaves at 8:30), is there a preference in taking the train or bus first and why?

With what you are looking at- it is not the "Yukon train". :) White Pass RR= to/from Fraser is the combo with this option. It doesn't matter which direction, although there will be some claim- myths- that fog happens in the am. No it doesn't, I've experienced all times during the day. :)

Edited by Budget Queen

My vote goes to bus first...

• you already identified the bus leaves later.... an extra hour in bed or at the breakfast trough!
  • in my two trips..... the fog was in the morning.... save the better train views for the warmer afternoon is my strategy.
  • left side for train up.... otherwise right side for train down. The main view is on the West side of the train.... the right side is a rock face inches from your window.

• 1 month later...
I would take a look at www.cruiseportinsider.com for more ideas on what to do in the other ports.

The last time I went to AK in Juneau we did a small boat tour of Tracy Arm through our cruise line (NCL) done only because they were the only ones offering it when we were in port. It was also our third visit to Juneau and we were not interested in whale watching. Our ship went on to visit Glacier Bay. Sawyer Glacier was very active and calved several times while we sat there :)

I also got to see North Sawyer Glacier for the first time. You can do whale watching with several smaller vendors - they will usually send a vehicle to pick you up at the cruise docks - whale watching is done in Auke bay on the other side of Juneau from the cruise ship docks. There is also a gold mine in Juneau that offers tours along with the tram to the top of Mt Roberts - most of these attractions are available for walk up customers. Renting a car is also a popular option - there are not that many roads in Juneau and it is very hard to get lost :D

Ketchikan has several neat attractions - from Creek Street to the crab fisherman's tour. Seaplanes are all around for flights into Misty Fjords - charter fishing boats - also native culture. Most of the attractions are either cheaper or longer or just plain better not using the ship - BTW most of the time the cruise line just provides transportation.

Note: at least in Skagway Princess has the oldest fleet of buses and they usually hire college students to drive them :D

Question about Tracy Arm and Sawyer Glacier. Are they the same? Is Sawyer Glacier the glacier located at the end of Tracy Arm? I'll be on an NCL cruise in July which includes "Cruise Sawyer Glacier" in the itinerary. If so, there is no point to book the Tracy Arm excursion. Right?

My vote goes to bus first...

• you already identified the bus leaves later.... an extra hour in bed or at the breakfast trough!
  • in my two trips..... the fog was in the morning.... save the better train views for the warmer afternoon is my strategy.
  • left side for train up.... otherwise right side for train down. The main view is on the West side of the train.... the right side is a rock face inches from your window.

This is very helpful information. Thanks!

Question about Tracy Arm and Sawyer Glacier. Are they the same? Is Sawyer Glacier the glacier located at the end of Tracy Arm? I'll be on an NCL cruise in July which includes "Cruise Sawyer Glacier" in the itinerary. If so, there is no point to book the Tracy Arm excursion. Right?

There are multiple threads on this. Unfortunately the answer is unknown. When we went to Tracy Arm we got no where near the glaciers. We slowly cruised, let the people off for the excursion and went on to Juneau. Others report seeing the glaciers. It is very mixed. A lot of things come into play such as ice flow. Not sure if NCL is guaranteeing anything when they say "Cruise Sawyer Glacier".

The twin Sawyer Glaciers are at the end of the 30 mile Tracy Arm. There are maps online, perhaps, get a look.

I disagree with your thinking and the Ncl "description". What happens very frequently is-- it is common for ships to turn around at Sawyer Island. Which does give a partial distant view of the South Sawyer Glacier. The regular cruise ships, haven't given a look at the North Sawyer in years. I'll go out there- with this general comment- the add on boat tours, "always" get closer to both/either glacier. Plus the benefit in transit of more wildlife viewing (cruise ships sail right by and it's lacking to be multiple stories up), cruise ships don't stop, boat tours do.

I'll read a little into this post???? It may be you aren't that interested in this tour? But may feel you should book it, by some posts? (yep, I do write along that slant) However, this tour is not for everyone- it's ideal for someone, who wants more viewing opportunities and who doesn't mind spending the money. (It needs a hard look, IF tours are going to be limited due to fixed funds) The majority of people, who remain on the cruise ship- certainly have a wonderful day too.

Edited by Budget Queen

I have a question that I think I'll tag to the end here. My mother really wants to do this excursion, but we need to make sure we pick the best choice for us. Mom has some issues with her back that make sitting for prolonged periods of time hard on her. What I need to know is how comfortable/uncomfortable are the railway seats and how long is that portion of the trip? How often do the buses stop?

Right now, I'm considering Dyea Dave's trip to Emerald Lake and Chilkoot Charters' trip to Lake Bennett. Any feedback on the difference in tours is appreciated, but I really need feedback on comfort of seats on bus/rail and how often tours stop for leg stretches. These are both pretty long tours, so it probably be too much if she is sitting the entire time.

I know there is a third option of renting a car, but I'd like to avoid that if possible simply because I want to enjoy the ride and not have to worry about driving. I'm not a huge fan of driving and will already be driving us around for 9-10 days pre-cruise. Thanks.