Everything...JADE! (Coming home to Houston 11/14/15)

anonmom

A couple of questions for Jade cruisers and Houston locals. I'm staying in Houston for the weekend after debarking. I would like to see the Space Center on Saturday after getting off the ship but the NCL tour only has a 2 hour stop there and then straight to the airport. That is not enough time to do the tour and really see all the exhibits. Any suggestions about where I can park my bags for a few hours close to the Space Center? Any transportation options from the Space Center to hotels close to the Galeria?

Please anyone cruising before me in March bring back anything to wet my whistle. I'm a new cruiser to NCL so it will really help me figure things out. My son was wondering do they have self serve ice cream like Carnival does?

A couple of questions for Jade cruisers and Houston locals. I'm staying in Houston for the weekend after debarking. I would like to see the Space Center on Saturday after getting off the ship but the NCL tour only has a 2 hour stop there and then straight to the airport. That is not enough time to do the tour and really see all the exhibits. Any suggestions about where I can park my bags for a few hours close to the Space Center? Any transportation options from the Space Center to hotels close to the Galeria?

I posted a similar question about places with a bag check on the Houston forum, and no one on that thread seemed to think there was anything available. :(

As far as Houston transportation goes, I've done a lot of research into that issue and Uber is definitely the hands down cheapest *and* most convenient option available, assuming there are at least 2 people in your party.

Fares from IAH to the port are $60-79, from HOU to the port only $31-41. And if you don't have Uber already, you can use the code "5opus" to get $15 off your first Uber ride. https://www.uber.com/invite/5opus

Here is a nice little map of the Jade that lists all of the restaurants, bars, and other venues on the ship:

https://files.acrobat.com/a/preview/6ddddc95-a003-4239-a34e-6c76cb132db7

Thank you for posting that anonmom. I chuckled when I saw it listed overall length of the ship at 695 feet. I guess who ever typed that accidentally transposed the numbers. Overall length is 965.

Here's the announcement of the complimentary Asian restaurants from Gambee's site: http://www.cruisewithgambee.com/2015/04/14/norwegian-adds-complimentary-asian-venues-fleet/

This was just announced in April of this year, so both restaurants did still have cover charges last time you sailed the Jade and the Jewel.

Now where are our Jade TA cruisers? I know I've seen Jasmine Garden menus somewhere, but they could give us the most up to date info! :)

Thanks. Somehow I had missed that. Will have to check out Jasmine Garden.

Thank you for posting that anonmom. I chuckled when I saw it listed overall length of the ship at 695 feet. I guess who ever typed that accidentally transposed the numbers. Overall length is 965.

Whoops! That's funny that that didn't get proofread better, because that is straight from NCL. :/

Please anyone cruising before me in March bring back anything to wet my whistle. I'm a new cruiser to NCL so it will really help me figure things out. My son was wondering do they have self serve ice cream like Carnival does?

I won't be going until mid-January so if you don't have an answer by then I'll let you know about the ice cream.

When we return from that trip I'll probably post a short review with pictures.

There was self serve on the Jewel so I'm assuming it's on the Jade as well. It was in the buffet.

Edited by hawk1972

I won't be going until mid-January so if you don't have an answer by then I'll let you know about the ice cream.

When we return from that trip I'll probably post a short review with pictures.

The Pearl had ice cream as it is my DH's favorite spot on the ships. ;) I will watch for your review.

I'm sorry I can't help with transportation question. The space center is around 20 min from the pier and there are nice hotels in that area (Clear Lake) if you might want to spend the night in that area. It is a nice area. Also you are right - Space Center was great when we went and it took all day. Very interesting!

I don't need to see a menu, but I'd like to know if there are snacks or food available in the bars? Like hopefully a cheese plate or sandwiches? Or maybe a small bowl of pretzels or peanuts, even?

I have yet to cruise on the Jade. Our most recent cruise was on the Pearl in September 2015, so, my info may now be false, but you should find snacks (like a mix of peanuts and crunchy bits, or possibly popcorn.

... sandwiches or cheese plate probably will ONLY be available if you are at the Latitudes Party, at a Gold/Platinum Party, or in the Haven Suites.

OR, if you are at the bar near the pool, you'll have grilled foods available frequently!

Ok, so Im checking in here for any last minute bits of info or advice as we depart Houston on the Jade tomorrow...I will happily post my review upon return!

So excited for you, but also jealous that I'm not the one sailing tomorrow! :)

Please take pictures of the pools and the spa and also all the complimentary menus, especially Jasmine Garden!

Bon Voyage!

I don't need to see a menu, but I'd like to know if there are snacks or food available in the bars? Like hopefully a cheese plate or sandwiches? Or maybe a small bowl of pretzels or peanuts, even?

The Martini bar (deck 6 in Bar City) does mixed nuts and crispy, nibbly things if you ask.

Ok, so Im checking in here for any last minute bits of info or advice as we depart Houston on the Jade tomorrow...I will happily post my review upon return!

Anything you can post before leaving port today will be fantabulous!! We board next Saturday! (And about 30 cabins of folks I know - so eagerly looking for updated info!) thank you! Will be watching webcam today :)