Everything...JADE! (Coming home to Houston 11/14/15)

anonmom

I was told by someone onboard she left late due to waiting on fuel. This person also showed up at her scheduled port arrival time and was in line over an hour - didn't even get checked in until 3:30. Has cruises from NCL before and last year essentially walked right on. Bag porter had to ask if fwd or aft. I think a new ground crew since first weekend from Houston this season.

Edited by MandyGirl

I'll also add she seemed to leave on time from Miami on the webcam there the other day so that is another reason I feel this was Houston - specific ground crew issues. I board Saturday with a group of 30 cabins but we are using a different website to communicate instead of posting multiple places. I may be able to get a review done - drive home the 28th and fly the 29th to catch the Sky out of Miami leaving the 30th so maybe I can get something done

EDIT: Sorry, looks like that site is blocked here on CC. Try Googling 'ncl jade live cam' and 'norwegian jade live tracking map' /EDIT

View from the bridge of the Jade

http://www.***********/cruise-ship-webcams/norwegian-cruise-line/norwegian-jade.php

Current position of the Jade:

http://www.***********/cruise-ship-tracker/norwegian-cruise-line/norwegian-jade.php

Edited by anonmom

Jasmine Garden How can you get a reservation for this restaurant?

90 days prior to sail you can do it yourself with NCL.com where you do online checkin. If group of 12+ you or your Agent can work with ship services prior to 90 days for reservations

90 days prior to sail you can do it yourself with NCL.com where you do online checkin. If group of 12+ you or your Agent can work with ship services prior to 90 days for reservations

Do we still need to make reservations? I was hoping/assuming it was just going to be freestyle now that it is complimentary.

Do we still need to make reservations? I was hoping/assuming it was just going to be freestyle now that it is complimentary.

Reservations are not necessary at all :) some just like consistency with same servers or time slot, and when you have large groups it helps to reserve as not all tables seat 15 or 20. We have many families onboard for thanksgiving week (over 30 cabins) so it helps to have it planned for larger groups. Freestyle is still available as "show up when you want and wait for next available table" just like it has been the past 15 years we have been cruising NCL :)

Here are the current menús for Jasmine Garden (and all complimentary Asian restaurants fleetwide) from another thread:

Thank you for posting. We sail in January and looking forward to it.

I also saw the "new" MDR menu on another thread and hope it will be on Jade by January

Does the specialty restaurants allow kids/men to wear grey or colored shorts?

In theory (I've seen otherwise) NONE of the Specialty Restaurants, nor the Main Dining Room (Grand Pacific) allow Men/Women to wear shorts for evening meals. I have seen children in nice shorts at dinner in the main dining rooms on other NCL ships at dinner.

Yay!!! So happy that we may have self serve. My men will be so happy!!

We sailed the Jade from Barcelona to Houston and I can personally guarantee that there was soft serve, both vanilla and chocolate, in the Garden Café (buffet) in two locations. :)

As for some of the other questions on dining venues, the Jasmine Garden shouldn't get one's hopes up as it was really quite average IMO. Some of the appetizers are OK, main course dishes are small so order more, and the service is a little hit and miss.

We had no problems getting in there without reservations but only ate there twice perhaps given the aforementioned quality. One could always get in there and La Cucina. Le Bistro was semi-busy, Teppanyaki and Cagney's always seemed in demand. The electronic menu boards located throughout the ship show the status for every half hour in the evening at all the restaurants to give an idea about whether one needs to reserve.

No shorts are allowed for dinner in Grand Pacific for men (OK for lunch) but are allowed in Alizar for dinner.

Just back from having landed in Houston last Saturday. Jade was a very good experience for us.

We ate in the Grand Pacific each night and thought the menus and selections were good to very good. It's not 5 star dining but it's very nice for many reason: we ate early and were seated at window tables, nice! Service was very good with one exception and nothing major just slow. I could nit-pick but it's not that important as, overall, we very much enjoyed it... or we wouldn't have eaten there every night. The ambiance is very nice, comfortable spacing, pleasant décor, attentive head waiters. Our menus did not have pay-extra choices. Except for lobster we often had what I consider high-end offerings: prime rib multiple times plus striploin several nights, all cooked very nicely; many shrimp dishes of which I think I had all of them; escargot; other shellfish, lamb loin chops and roast lamb... and many other vey good choices.

The buffet had 2 self-serve soft ice cream machines; quality was better than I expected, very creamy not granular or icy. Hard ice cream, sherbet and sorbet could be had in the dining room in addition to what's listed on the menu.

They stagger the buffets so that food is available all day long, plus the 24 hr Blue Lagoon comfort foods menu.

I hope the 7-night cruises to the Caribbean are as nice as we had. I'll answer what questions I can. Enjoy, m--

In theory (I've seen otherwise) NONE of the Specialty Restaurants, nor the Main Dining Room (Grand Pacific) allow Men/Women to wear shorts for evening meals. I have seen children in nice shorts at dinner in the main dining rooms on other NCL ships at dinner.

Actually, all dining venues including all specialty restaurants allow shorts for dinner except: the aft main dining room and Le Bistro. Per NCL all other venues allow shorts at any time.

Thanks for replies! This is our first ever cruise so had no idea what to pack for the family! Figured it would be best to check to see if khaki shorts would be allowed for kids and men before I packed and we get there and I packed wrong for them! :)