What is your all time favorite ship that no longer exists?

10 hours ago, George C said:

We did our honeymoon on SS Norway in 1991, in a brand new mini- suite, great ship sailed her 7 times from mid 80’s to 90’s 

Those mini suites were nice…floor to ceiling windows.  We also sailed in one and had a ball.  The service was top notch.  I remember Room Service calling me when we first got onboard.  They told me to call them if I needed anything at all.  Every afternoon they would send a big shrimp cocktail if you wanted it.  Those were the days.

14 minutes ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Those mini suites were nice…floor to ceiling windows.  We also sailed in one and had a ball.  The service was top notch.  I remember Room Service calling me when we first got onboard.  They told me to call them if I needed anything at all.  Every afternoon they would send a big shrimp cocktail if you wanted it.  Those were the days.

SS Norway was the biggest cruise ship , then Sovereign of the seas was a little bigger so that added a new deck to Norway that contained the mini suites so it had a larger gross tons. 

1 hour ago, George C said:

SS Norway was the biggest cruise ship , then Sovereign of the seas was a little bigger so that added a new deck to Norway that contained the mini suites so it had a larger gross tons. 

Norway was unique…one of a kind.  I sailed on her in 1973 when she was the SS France and also in 1993 when she was the SS Norway.

Edited by CGTNORMANDIE
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

This was our first ship .  We sailed when she was NCL Sea.  This was in 2002 or 2003.

We loved sailing on her. 

Seaward / Norwegian Sea

This ship was built in 1988 as Seaward, but was rechristened in 1997 after a hefty renovation. In 2005, the ship left NCL and moved to Star Cruises, at that time renamed SuperStar Libra.

Norwegian Sea Photo By: Norwegian Cruise Line

She continued sailing in various markets, including the Mediterranean Sea and Aegan Sea, in South America, and in Asia. In July 2018, the ship was converted to a hotel ship at a German shipyard.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Travel Junkie Judy said:

This was our first ship .  We sailed when she was NCL Sea.  This was in 2002 or 2003.

We loved sailing on her. 

Seaward / Norwegian Sea

This ship was built in 1988 as Seaward, but was rechristened in 1997 after a hefty renovation. In 2005, the ship left NCL and moved to Star Cruises, at that time renamed SuperStar Libra.

She continued sailing in various markets, including the Mediterranean Sea and Aegan Sea, in South America, and in Asia. In July 2018, the ship was converted to a hotel ship at a German shipyard.

When retired from cruise operations by Star Cruises, who were owned by Genting HK, she was moved to the German shipyard Werften. This yard was also owned by the Genting HK Group and was building new tonnage for Genting owned cruise lines Dream Cruises and Crystal Cruises.

The SuperStar Libra was used by the shipyard as an accommodation vessel to house their employees building the new cruise ships. When Genting HK went bankrupt the cruise lines and shipyard were placed in receivership.

She was initially sold to a Greek company with a possibility of resuming operations, but was then sold and towed to Turkey for scrap last year, early summer if memory is correct. 

2 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

When retired from cruise operations by Star Cruises, who were owned by Genting HK, she was moved to the German shipyard Werften. This yard was also owned by the Genting HK Group and was building new tonnage for Genting owned cruise lines Dream Cruises and Crystal Cruises.

The SuperStar Libra was used by the shipyard as an accommodation vessel to house their employees building the new cruise ships. When Genting HK went bankrupt the cruise lines and shipyard were placed in receivership.

She was initially sold to a Greek company with a possibility of resuming operations, but was then sold and towed to Turkey for scrap last year, early summer if memory is correct. 

So sad, but inevitable.  I still love the smaller, more intimate ships.  Thanks for the information.  I wonder what happened to her.

Judy

• 2 months later...

The Carnival Holiday

AKA The Little Ship That Could

we sailed on it in the early 2000’s. It still had that feel of a cruise ship and not of a super liner.  Teak and Mahogany.  Carried 1400 passengers and 600 crew.
It was finally sold to Iberostar and renamed Grand Holiday and finally sold one more time and renamed the Magellan. Sent to the wreckers in Alang in 2021

On 4/19/2023 at 2:02 AM, Travel Junkie Judy said:

We loved sailing on her. 

Seaward / Norwegian Sea

I have a couple of souvenirs from the Seaward, a nice spoon showing the older logo and a shot glass. 

IMG_0470.jpeg

IMG_0471.jpeg

• Like 2

On 4/19/2023 at 1:02 AM, Travel Junkie Judy said:

We loved sailing on her. 

Seaward / Norwegian Sea

We took Norway 7 times , but 6 times including its 3rd or 4 sailing of Seaward .

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

we never sailed on Imagination but.... my wife karen worked for USair at the time she debuted in their AirSea dept and we got invited to do a Pierside ovrernight on her in Miami on her inaugural sailing season there .... So.... we flew standby down to Miami and took a cab over to the ship, and spent a full day and night on her with full entertainment and open bar and got to do a meet and greet with the Arisons and all the other big wigs at Carnival and on the ship, we also got a neato hardback book with all kinds of tech info on the companies that built the ship and the construction process and photos of the shipbuilding - years later we had a similar softcover promo book on the Norwegian Epic and Carnival Victory that were mailed out to Lattitudes and Vifp members - only thing was we just stayed tied up at the pier instead of sailing,  the day after we got off the ship, they were gonna sail on a short two day cruise I think with other travel industry big wigs from the airlines and bigger travel agencies and hotels ( our pierside was lesser airlines employees, agents, and hoteliers and staff associated with the cruise industry ) Still it was a great perk and memorable trip but it never worked out for us to sail Imagination, we did howevrer sail Fasciantion about 9 times, Sensation a couple, Fantasy a half dozen maybe Ecstasy several and now Elation plenty including B2B in a couple weeks!😍