Do cruise directors really make a difference?

shdixon

Hello all,

I have noticed many people ask about cruise directors on here. I have been cruising off and on, short and long for almost 20 years. I look at the little paper they leave in the room every day and decide if anything interests me.

Do cruise directors control what activities go in the caper? What exactly do they do that make or break a cruise The only time I really even see the cruise director is if I go to a game show or something like that. Am I missing something?

Thanks

I don't think you are missing anything.

I may be wrong but I believe most people feel the same. They fill a certain function on the ship but for most they are just another voice on the intercom.

have a great day

Agree with everyone else. I don't see what the big deal is over the CD. The daily plans are all made in Miami and sent to the fleet, so other than being a voice on the intercom or runnning the goofy games they really don't do much.

Hmmm? I thought that the cruise director helped decide on the activities and their locations on the ships. It is hard to believe that someone in Miami does this instead of the person right there on the cruise?

I agree that the cruise director doesn't make/break a cruise for us but so far there have been 2 that have been what I'd call "better than the rest".

One was Cory(last name I forgot) who was really involved with the activities, even the dance class and who didn't make silly annoying announcements every day!

The other was just with us on the Conquest and that was Wee Jimmy who I thought also was personable, friendly and unobtrusive with no annoying announcements.

Yes, they can make a difference. The good ones are usually highly visible and do know how to work the crowd. Since the ship captain stays mostly behind the scene, cruise director is essentially the de facto PR representative and face of the company during the cruise.

I remember our first cd on the holiday in 1991. his name was vance palm!:) maybe he stood out because he was the first.

cory rogers was very good on the liberty and steve casell was good on the ectasy. other than those, 13 other cruises, don't remember!:)

John Heald on my first cruise and Karl with a K on our 6th are the only CDs I even remember. We leave for the Breeze next weekend and have nothing but praise for Matt so we will see if he gets added to the list.

Karl with a K was a fantastic CD. Matt Mitcham is my current favorite. Energetic, engaging, and very visible.

I remember our first cd on the holiday in 1991. his name was vance palm!:) maybe he stood out because he was the first.

cory rogers was very good on the liberty and steve casell was good on the ectasy. other than those, 13 other cruises, don't remember!:)

Once on Liberty on elegant night, different department heads were mingling on promenade. People wanted pictures of themselves with the CD, so I went along with the group. I haven't got a clue who he was, but I have a picture with him:D

If you have a good one you'll notice the difference. Butch is fabulous! He remembers the name of any cruiser he meets. He engages people all over the ship. John Heald made the Newlywed game fresh. Very personable. A bad one just doesn't do anything to help the trip. Some of the morning shows they do are hysterical, others just a bore.

I never thought CD's mattered until our sailing last month on the Magic and we were lucky enough to have Dr. E. His unique way of doing daily announcements, his energy, his ability to draw a huge crowd for anything he was hosting, and his ability to get people on their feet and cutting loose, proved that the CD can in fact make a HUGE difference! Our first cruise, the CD was not great at all, our second cruise the CD was definitely better, but on our 3rd cruise, Dr. E just blew it out of the water!

Edited by watermelonqueen99

Once on Liberty on elegant night, different department heads were mingling on promenade. People wanted pictures of themselves with the CD, so I went along with the group. I haven't got a clue who he was, but I have a picture with him:D

Now THAT'S Too Funny! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

We don't think it makes any difference at all, we don't attend many shows or

the silly poolside games, etc......

I definitely think it makes a difference. I never based a cruise on what cruise director is on board but I can understand why there are those that would. Cruise directors control a lot and when you have a bad one you will notice the difference on your cruise.

A cruise director is more than a voice on the intercom making announcements. A good cruse director that is high energy, high octane, personable, available to passengers & that creates a pleasant environment of activities, events scheduled, etc, etc, can indeed make a voyage much more enjoyable.

They are dedicated hospitality professionals that work far beyond the normal 9-to-5 schedule. Cruise directors are specifically in charge of ensuring all guests welfare & comfort throughout their time aboard the cruise ship.

Rather than the technical side of the cruise that is handled by the captain’s crew, cruise directors are in charge of overseeing the social activities for making sure all passengers are having a great time.

Cruise directors are often responsible for coordinating entertainment shows, directing stage managers, hosting special ceremonies, communicating with the dining crew, monitoring guest responses, improving customer service, maintaining travel logs, and budgeting for entertainment events.

Cruise directors must wear many hats, including greeter, event planner, master of ceremonies, customer service manager and cheerleader...

As I stated above; A cruise director is more than a voice on the intercom making announcements.

:)