Thoughts please...

CHOOSE-2-CRUISE

Which ship?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Which ship?

• RCI Adventurer of the Seas
    • Celebrity Summit

Hi all,

My wife and I (both early 40s) are planning our first cruise together without our children, we are planning a southern Caribbean cruise for 7 nights in December 2016. We are stuck between the Adventurer of the seas and the Celebrity Summit, both ships have been refurbished in the last couple of years, we are aware that there will be more children aboard the AOTS but we don't mind children as long as were not over run with them, we just want the best all round cruise experience, btw they are both priced the same.

Thanks in advance...

IMO, it's an "either/or"...if you're getting the same type of cabin...

The number of kids in Dec. will be about the same, especially if schools are out for Christmas....

We've never been "over-run" with kids...and we generally cruise during the "spring break" timeframe. They aren't MY kids, so I ignore them!

6 in one, half dozen in the other. I've done both out of PR and I loved both. If you're a foodie, I'd lean toward Summit. If you like entertainment and nightlife, I'd lean toward Adventure.

For what it's worth, Adventure has a bit of a reputation for attracting large groups of raucous locals. I don't see it complained about too often on Celebrity.

Vague post, hard to advise.

They are more alike than different. Since the price is the same, look closely at each one to see if there is something on 1 that appeals to you more (spa, specialty restaurant, show, ports, seadays, cabin type...)

I think Celebrity Summit would be more for the adults. Not so much kid oriented.

RCI Adventure of the Seas will be more kid oriented. Parents would enjoy either cruise. More activities to keep all entertained.

Too little information from OP as to what they are actually expecting.

RCI - far better for families and more for the kids onboard. Food is very good. Entertainment mostly family oriented. Lively and fun all day and late into the night.

Celebrity - tends to get really quiet after 10pm. Kids clubs but not much else for the kids. Food is good to excellent. Shows are adult oriented.

WE think of Celebrity as more of a 'country club' cruise. A friend was turned away from the dining room because he wasn't wearing a jacket. You won't see shorts or jeans in her dining rooms at night. Passengers are more formal. More men wear a tux on formal nights.

Don't remember seeing kids when we were on a Celebrity cruise.

WE think of Celebrity as more of a 'country club' cruise. A friend was turned away from the dining room because he wasn't wearing a jacket. You won't see shorts or jeans in her dining rooms at night. Passengers are more formal. More men wear a tux on formal nights.

Don't remember seeing kids when we were on a Celebrity cruise.

Celebrity just changed their formal nights to evening chic so the number of tuxes will be dropping.

6 in one, half dozen in the other. I've done both out of PR and I loved both. If you're a foodie, I'd lean toward Summit. If you like entertainment and nightlife, I'd lean toward Adventure.

For what it's worth, Adventure has a bit of a reputation for attracting large groups of raucous locals. I don't see it complained about too often on Celebrity.

Please don't let the bolded scare you. Any ship sailing out of San Juan offers last-minute deals to locals, as do most ships everywhere. We've sailed from there, with lots of Puerto Rican passengers and frankly, preferred them to the hordes of elderly Floridians that sail out of Miami and Ft. Lauderdale.

We've also sailed both RCCL and Celebrity. Celebrity was quite a disappointment due to the hype of how wonderful they were supposed to be. It was fine, but it certainly was NOT head and shoulders above any other mainstream cruise line. Personally I'd pick AOS, just because the ship has so many more features than the Summit. But on a Southern Caribbean itinerary with very few sea days, maybe that wouldn't matter. That being the case, I'd probably choose strictly based on price and any potential perks being offered. Have a great trip, whichever you choose! :)

Please don't let the bolded scare you. Any ship sailing out of San Juan offers last-minute deals to locals, as do most ships everywhere. We've sailed from there, with lots of Puerto Rican passengers and frankly, preferred them to the hordes of elderly Floridians that sail out of Miami and Ft. Lauderdale.

You're right. All those retired Canadians that down here can be a handful. ;)