It's official! Formal nights gone, evening chic in! (3 Threads Merged)

Wj420

Also kinda entertaining you think your little corner of the world is the only perspective. Go to London or Rome sometime.

You have to understand New Yorkers (and I was born in the Bronx but escaped). They seriously believe there is nothing worthwhile west of the Hudson. That's why they refer to "The City" as being New York, as if no other city exists. For all its problems, Chicago has it all over The City.:D

With regards to working attire, I think it obviously differs between nations as we have a written dress code at work which stipulates no jeans, flip flops etc. Staff have been sent home to change if they are not wearing the appropriate attire. My DH works for an American company and they think it's quite strange when they visit the UK as all the office employees wear suits, smart clothing etc - no jeans allowed. Some companies are introducing a dress-down Friday for office staff, however, most still conform to business attire.

The investment bankers still wear suits as a rule, and some other areas of the company have a jeans only on Friday rule (though that is changing as now they are saying jeans for town halls and other meetings), but my area is whatever you please. Some folks wear heels with jeans, some sneakers, a few wear dresses /skirts or suits, but its because that's their personal style, not because of a dress code. My style is comfy, when not at work, I'm in a karate gi - that's the closest i get to a suit! :)

You have to understand New Yorkers (and I was born in the Bronx but escaped). They seriously believe there is nothing worthwhile west of the Hudson. That's why they refer to "The City" as being New York, as if no other city exists. For all its problems, Chicago has it all over The City.:D

NYC is the center of the universe! :cool:

NYC is the center of the universe! :cool:

Of course we all know that intuitively. :p Several posters have wisely written that the pictures of svelte models are not representative of the reality of a Celebrity cruise. Either their comments are absolutely true, or DW and I have been absolutely unfortunate in our selection of more than 25 X cruises. We have four Celebrity cruises in the next month and a half. It will be interesting to see the actual results of the change. I'm hoping for the best but prepared for the worse.

PS I wonder what the ship's officers will wear on Elegant Chic nights? We'll see if Celebrity has really moved into modern times. ;)

How will the no formal nights cut into the $$$ brought in by the SPA's-

Hairdressers, nail fixers, etc?

Getting those appointments on formal nights used to be a big deal

and a big sales item for Celebrity.

Or this:

Fab-You-Bliss-Fashion-Wendys-Lookbook.jpg

She is perfectly chic, and exactly what I was thinking when I read the updated dress code, and what I would be wearing. Although my top will probably have some sparkle to it. This woman looks like 98% of the patrons at any upscale restaurant/lounge/bar in Chicago.

So the only point that anyone is talking about is the change in dress policy on "formal" now "chic" night and how it will somehow cut into the quality of what we have come to expect from Celebrity.

There are a few things I have noticed over the past 15 years on Celebrity, the first is that from as far back as 2001 (our first cruise) the dress code was, although clearly stated on all the cruise documents, ignored by some passengers as well as being overlooked by some staff at times. The argument of "It's my money and my vacation so I'll do what I want and dress the way I want" has been going on since the day I first saw this forum.

So cast aside the dress issue, I really don't care that much about it anyway, but do reflect on how tremendously difficult it must be to wear a tie and jacket once or twice during what for many is a once a year cruise. Packing is a problem but not that big a deal in my opinion.

I just wonder how the elimination of "formal" nights will affect all the other little niceties that went along with the "formal" night title.

Will white gloved waiters be there to de-shell your lobster tail at dinner (not my favorite but many still desire it) on "chic" night??

Will there still be a somewhat scaled up menu on "chic" night?

Will the Maitre d still prepare some sort of flaming dessert on the most special "chic" night?

These are minor things, granted, but they are little pluses that made the "formal" night a little special and desired by many.

I am in no way impressed with officers playing musical chairs or rubbing my elbows at dinner on "chic" night and feel it does little to improve the quality of either the meal or the cruise. I'd rather they stuck to running the ship.

Only My Opinion, and not an argument, just an opinion and time will tell how it is accepted.

Let's just wait and see. I will be there in about a month and hope it goes well for both those who are strongly in favor and those who question it.

bosco

I just wonder how the elimination of "formal" nights will affect all the other little niceties that went along with the "formal" night title.

Will white gloved waiters be there to de-shell your lobster tail at dinner (not my favorite but many still desire it) on "chic" night??

Will there still be a somewhat scaled up menu on "chic" night?

Will the Maitre d still prepare some sort of flaming dessert on the most special "chic" night?

These are minor things, granted, but they are little pluses that made the "formal" night a little special and desired by many.

bosco

It already started when they got rid of the live classical music in the MDR on formal nights and then stopped the intermezzo course.

Just another step in the down turn in cruising. Cruising use to be special, now it's becoming just like everything else.

They already allow people in the MDR in shorts during dinner, I hate to see what happens now.

Edited by CruisingChick

We love formal nights.

So next month's cruise unfortunately, will definately be the last with celebrity:mad:

:confused: Seriously?!

Nothing has really changed. People will and should wear anything they want to eat their dinner. Dressed to the nines and not so much. Don't see how this makes the slightest difference and to boycott a line for such a reason seems really silly to me....but whatever floats your boat:cool: And all our cruises are special.

Edited by BecciBoo

I am in no way impressed with officers playing musical chairs or rubbing my elbows at dinner on "chic" night and feel it does little to improve the quality of either the meal or the cruise. I'd rather they stuck to running the ship.

bosco

Thanks for giving me something else to worry about. :eek: It's proper for a man to stand when addressed by someone. Has Celebrity suspended good manners, too, for the duration of the cruise or only on Elegant Chic nights? :rolleyes: I don't want to feel like a Jack in a Box every time an officer nears, especially at dinner.

I confess that last night I dreamed that I was in line for the MDR, dressed in a blazer, shirt and tie. The hostess turned me away for being preppy and not elegant chic. I slunk back to my cabin, donned designer cargo pants, a RL polo shirt, Gators, and dutifully put on my baseball cap backwards. The hostess told me I had a good chance of being on the cover of the next Celebrity magazine. I can't wait.:p

When I received the email yesterday the first thing I thought of was how many pages of agony would be created on CC! As this is one of the hotbed issues here, I knew that CCL was stirring a pot of highly unstable liquid explosives with this "change."

As to my personal take on the new policy, I really don't see much of a change other than rules that were standard in the specialty restaurants are now being applied ship wide. Although I have never dined in a MDR on CCL for dinner (two prior cruises, one upcoming all in Blu), most of the formal night threads I have read suggest that the majority of people dress closer to the new concept than "formal" as it is in the MDR. I actually applaud CCL for giving people what we as western consumers thrive for, choice (within reason, of course!).

When I was younger, I was interested, but never wanted to try cruising because it sounded stuffy and I did not want to have to dress up to eat. That changed when we discovered Windstar that had a dress code that suited me (casually elegant or something like that). After a few more cruises on Windstar and similar, we were hooked.

Eventually, we decided to try a "big ship" and sailed on a 10 day cruise on HAL. This line was supposedly still practicing the old formal rituals, so I brought a suit. I felt overdressed on formal night in a suit on that ship because most were dressed casually elegant with about a dozen tuxes mixed in. That was the last time I brought a suit or tie on any ship.

I think what CCL (and most others) are doing is trying to attract the young mes out there who would really like to spend a week or two on a ship, but have a view that it would be too stuffy and don't like the idea of wearing a tie anywhere, let alone to dinner.

I like the idea of more choice. I also hope I see those dressed to the nines in a tux and long gown (not on the same person, of course) around the ship on Chic night. Those of us in less formal, but certainly Chic attire should not affect anyone's enjoyment of their own cruise/evening.

Cheers...and enjoy!

It already started when they got rid of the live classical music in the MDR on formal nights and then stopped the intermezzo course.

Just another step in the down turn in cruising. Cruising use to be special, now it's becoming just like everything else.

They already allow people in the MDR in shorts during dinner, I hate to see what happens now.

I agree. You KNOW what will happen now...

I think the problem is that with a set "standard" people did what they want anyways with their own interpretation of formal. Now that designer jeans are permitted (would love a clarification on what exactly this means and how it will be monitored) :eek: it opens the floodgates even more for people to just do what they want with the minimum standard being set at jeans.

Guaranteed that designer jeans will be stretched out to gap, old navy, wrangler and levi and Kirkland (as someone mentioned in the other thread)

Personally, I'd prefer 5 nights of evening chic and 2 nights of formal. We sail in a few days, and that's what I'm packing. And yes, I get that I can continue to do what I want and wear what I want, as I'm sure everyone else will.

If celebrity can't monitor/enforce the current dress code, I can't even imagine what they will do with the new dress code.

Would be really nice if Celebrity Cruises would come back and post again.

In NYC that would be evening chic for sure. Nothing to do with price of the jeans, they could be old navy for all i know, it's the total outfit and how the woman is styled. Come to the big city sometime.

And her confidence! That takes it to a whole new level.

How will the no formal nights cut into the $$$ brought in by the SPA's-

Hairdressers, nail fixers, etc?

Getting those appointments on formal nights used to be a big deal

and a big sales item for Celebrity.

I don't think it will have a big impact. Women still like to get their nails, hair done (At least I do when I am at home but never on a cruise as I am a bit concern about hygiene standards for instruments, etc) . Maybe it will cut a little in the make up department.

Edited by Sandy1975