It's official! Formal nights gone, evening chic in! (3 Threads Merged)

Wj420

After reading 15 pages of this, I just want to scream!!!! Do people complain, just to complain?

Listen, if you want to drag out your sequence gown - go for it - no one cares! Anyone who has eaten in Blu must have noticed on formal nights there are people dressed in all their finery and others are country club casual and it is fine and no one feels out of place. I also love to see the Scottish men in their kilts.

I have sailed Oceania and loved being able to wear what we wanted - no one wore jeans with holes, but clean jeans with their polo shirts and sweaters.

Live and let live!

While dressier than Smart Casual, Evening Chic is intended to be less dressy than Formal attire.

Women should feel comfortable wearing:

•A cocktail dress

•Skirt, pants or designer jeans with an elegant top

Men should feel comfortable wearing:

•Pants or designer jeans with a dress shirt, button-down shirt or sweater

•Optional sport coat or blazer

This sounds like Carnival or NCL! Ugh.

What a JOKE!!!! How can this be dressier than Smart Casual? Another term of confusion! LOL

Originally Posted by Celebrity Cruises

While dressier than Smart Casual, Evening Chic is intended to be less dressy than Formal attire.

Women should feel comfortable wearing:

•A cocktail dress

•Skirt, pants or designer jeans with an elegant top

Men should feel comfortable wearing:

•Pants or designer jeans with a dress shirt, button-down shirt or sweater

•Optional sport coat or blazer

I've never responded to the "dress code" wars, but after reading some of the posts, I feel compelled to offer a simple observation. Originally my spouse and I started booking Aqua simply because of the casual dress code. We cruise a good bit and are elite status on four or five lines. Our choice of lines also often reflected dress codes (i.e. Paul Gauguin, Azamara, etc.). It has been many years since I have dressed up for a cruise; which is simply a personal choice. What I don't understand, however, is why anyone wants to force another to dress in a certain way. Now before someone tries to point to cutoff jeans etc., I think most folks know what appropriate dress is, and those who don't won't be swayed by regulations of any type. If a couple, family, group or otherwise wants to dress up, I think it is great. It happens all the time in Blu and I am always sincerely happy that some are dressed up and that I am casual. Everyone has the right to choose how their vacation dollars are spent, but to leave Celebrity because the line no longer forces folks to dress a certain way kind of boggles my mind. I like Celebrity. It is not perfect but over the past 30+ years it has been a good value and I/we applaud the management for this move.

I've never responded to the "dress code" wars, but after reading some of the posts, I feel compelled to offer a simple observation. Originally my spouse and I started booking Aqua simply because of the casual dress code. We cruise a good bit and are elite status on four or five lines. Our choice of lines also often reflected dress codes (i.e. Paul Gauguin, Azamara, etc.). It has been many years since I have dressed up for a cruise; which is simply a personal choice. What I don't understand, however, is why anyone wants to force another to dress in a certain way. Now before someone tries to point to cutoff jeans etc., I think most folks know what appropriate dress is, and those who don't won't be swayed by regulations of any type. If a couple, family, group or otherwise wants to dress up, I think it is great. It happens all the time in Blu and I am always sincerely happy that some are dressed up and that I am casual. Everyone has the right to choose how their vacation dollars are spent, but to leave Celebrity because the line no longer forces folks to dress a certain way kind of boggles my mind. I like Celebrity. It is not perfect but over the past 30+ years it has been a good value and I/we applaud the management for this move.

I read the first 6 pages of this thread and it made me sick to my stomach, then I switched to the last post (yours), and I finally heard the voice of reason. People get so mean and judgemental over other people's attire, I just can't believe it.

When we go to a restaurant on land, there are always people who are dressed differently, dressy or more casual, but it has never once interfered with my enjoyment of my evening.

HAL dropped "Formal" nights a while ago. They are now called "Gala" nights and this is the dress code.

Notice no mention of what the ladies should wear lol I guess they could wear jeans:) Also jacket & Tie are "appropriate" but not required.

"Gala Nights evoke the grand traditions of cruising as guests

dress to impress for special events on board, including a five course

gourmet dinner in the Dining Room. For gentlemen,

jacket and tie are appropriate, collared shirt and slacks are

required in all restaurants except those on Lido Deck which

permit jeans, shorts and T-shirts."

http://www.hollandamerica.com/assets/cruise-vacation-onboard/KBYG.pdf

This sounds like Carnival or NCL! Ugh.

And so it begins. Won't be long before we see shorts (nice ones though) on none formal nights. Then the tee shirts (nice ones though) then sleeveless ones.

Sorry to see the end of a an era and the dumbing down of something we enjoye- fancy formal nights

I am very saddened by this. I love to dress up and have no opportunity to do so in my daily life. I thought Celebrity would be the last of the mainstream lines to make this change, not the first.

But it's not being taken away from you. Wear your formal if that's what you like. We all know that people still dress in formal in Blu, Specialty Restaurants and the suite restaurant. All venues where it is not required. Wear what makes you happy.

Edited by Cruise Junky

Formal Night hasn't been enforced for a long time. Not need to think X will start just before Formal Night becomes a dinosaur.

We have sailed on Oceania for many years and love the Smart Casual evening attire.

In our experiences, we have never seen anyone in the dining room in ripped jeans or Tshirts. Everyone has always dressed very nicely.

I love the change Celebrity is making. Most people go on vacation to relax and unwind. For the men, a long shirt, jacket and tie is not clothing you can relax in. And for Caribbean sailings...just too hot.

Unfortunately the change goes into effect the day after we return from our Caribbean cruise. Do you think the jacket and tie will be enforced in the MDR?

Formal night certainly wasn't enforced when we were on Shilloute last Jan 2015.

Formal night and folks were just wearing shirts and slacks.

20+ years we have been sailing on Celebrity and have yet to meet anyone in "T-shirts" in the MDR on any night. It has been "ENFORCED" on every cruise we have taken.

I'm going to continue to dress UP for dinner. I consider each cruise a special event, and fancy attire is mypreference.

That being said, I understand weight limitations put on persons flying to/from their cruises. My solution: I drive. No restrictions on me....

Do your own thing; I'll be doing mine....

Heck, even when I went to Antarctica (not a cruise-by) almost everyone dressed in formal attire on most nights. And the dining room was a beautiful place. Guess I'm Old School....

I'm going to continue to dress UP for dinner. I consider each cruise a special event, and fancy attire is mypreference.

That being said, I understand weight limitations put on persons flying to/from their cruises. My solution: I drive. No restrictions on me....

Do your own thing; I'll be doing mine....

Heck, even when I went to Antarctica (not a cruise-by) almost everyone dressed in formal attire on most nights. And the dining room was a beautiful place. Guess I'm Old School....

+1

Yea do your own thing

I've been trying to keep this comment, but I cannot do so now. It definitely appears that Lisa Lutoff-Perlo has brought her Royal Caribbean mentality to Celebrity. She, and her terrible marketing ideas like the BBB and now no more formal nights, is turning a once elegant Celebrity into a more expensive version of Royal Caribbean. I'm so happy we're moving on.

BTW, my two cousins just got of their 6th Celebrity cruise and said "no more". They were so disappointed in how bad the food was (steaks that were tougher than shoe leather and chicken that when cut, was still pink inside and showed blood, and pasta that could be used as paste), and how overworked the staff was that many were unruly, that they said they could get the same things, for a lot less money by cruising on RCI. Pathetic.

I can see the casualites taking this all casual all the time atmosphere, and we all know that many will take this to mean they will be able to wear whatever they want, to new lows in what they'll wear to the MDR. More Pathetic.

Celebrity is not always more expensive then Royal Caribbean. I had a cruise to Alaska on the Explorer of the Seas booked for July 2016. I cancelled it and booked Celebrity Solstice because the rate was less (for the same week, balcony cabin).

I will also add that my past experiences on Royal Caribbean have always been positive - food, staff, ship and shipmates. I expect a positive experience on the Solstice also. And, I also like the BBB promotion.

I've always enjoyed the Formal Nights on Celebrity, and yes I did wear my Tux. I'm kind of go with the flow person, so I will have some fun with this "Chic" thing and see where it leads. Maybe I can find some alternatives to update my look???:rolleyes:

My wife looks stunning in anything, so if I can just keep up with her I will be fine.

I don't think this is the end of the world stuff and I'm willing to give it a fair shot. Cunard is still a Formal Alternative; Oceania and Azamara make the upscale casual work, so maybe it will also with Celebrity?

Now, if we can just get Celebrity to go back to their quality beef supplier they had four years ago!:o

Cruising the Equinox in December, so I will report back with my take on all this.

Enjoy!

Kel:)

Kel!!

So happy to see a post from you~

We are sailing on the Silhouette in December. Always wished we could have spent more time with you and your wife last summer!

I will still continue to dress up, as I like to.. My husband, however, may leave the jacket and tie at home.

It will all workout, I see that most people dress nicely for dinner.

One thing I don't understand is when cruising the Caribbean why can't Island style shirts and Bermuda shorts be worn every night in MDR?

I know the Caribbean is hot but the inside of the ship stays the same temperature as when it is in Alaska:) I need to wear a sweater, shawl, or jacket to dinner each night as I find it cool. Sounds like a great outfit for outside though!

I think it is fantastic to offer the next generation of cruise guests more options in regards to style and comfort. Look at any major metropolitan city or at high end events; you tend to see slacks, untucked dress shirts with no tie, designer labels...but not necessarily "suit and tie".

Modern luxury and all.