It's official! Formal nights gone, evening chic in! (3 Threads Merged)

Wj420

I have followed the Dress Code thread and now have read all of the posts on this thread. I know, get a life! Although my wife and I enjoy the formal nights and dress according to the current guide lines on Celebrity, we do not let what others wear affect our enjoyment on formal nights. To me the real issues is not what people wear, but the attitude that no matter what the dress code states, if I don't like it I can do what ever I want. Much like those who park in a no parking zone because that doesn't apply to me. We have a Celebrity Cruise booked for February next year so it will be interesting what the new dress code brings. My guess is that those who feel the previous Dress Code does't apply to them will also feel the new Dress Code doesn't apply to them. So, we are in the same place in this discussion as we have been for some time - in one camp we have those who feel we should follow what Celebrity states as their dress code and the other camp those who think I paid for my cruise and I can do whatever I want. We will continue to dress for the formal nights but as many others have said, I feel the relaxed dress code will make those nights less special. But then, the times they are changing!

I hope Celebrity doesn't decide to do away with dress codes altogether. People may start showing up in the MDR naked...

You mean.....thats not an option? :D

Oh shucks lol

This thread is keeping me entertained.....bottom line it's all about how people choose to dress themselves on their own vacation paid for with their own hard earned money.

You wanna dress up, dress up. You dont, dont. Get over it. Lets get back to gratuities thats a bit more exciting lol:p

SNIP

In retrospect, this all started years back. Small, sophisticated ships (Zenith, Horizon) became mid sized ships and then mega ships (Solstice class) with lots of cabins to fill, mass promotions, unlimited booze packages and the clientele that's attracted by all that. Of course the dress code then has to go.

F

This some up why this was bound to happen. Mass market = mass appeal. Success or not, that is what Celebroty's goal is.

One thing I don't understand is when cruising the Caribbean why can't Island style shirts and Bermuda shorts be worn every night in MDR?

And THIS is why we have dress code problems. While I'm not saying whether you follow any "code" or not, some feel that since they don't understand the dress code, they shouldn't have to follow it...and don't.

I have no public comment on those thread. We will again be on one of the first cruises with a big change (Dec 5 sailing) and won't be reporting on the code change onboard but may report on changes such as the toast or new Officier table's as described if we're lucky enough to be invited ;)

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Honestly the writing was on the wall when they opened Luminae as a another smart casual dining room all nights. With Blu, Luminae, and the specialty dining rooms being all smart casual why were they forcing those in the MDR to dress formal? I'm happy to have a choice. The food on formal night has gone down hill. It was getting to the point that it wasn't worth the expense of purchasing a new dress for DW who resented having to buy it. We would book specialty restaurants with the money we saved and enjoyed a better meal.

I'm going to reserve judgement until I experience the cocktail hour and evening dining on our February cruise. That said, if elegant venues on any evening are populated with baseball caps, cutoff shorts, tank tops, workout attire etc. it will affect my planning going forward.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I agree! If not formal anymore, I still planned on wearing a little black dress, which I think is chic and elegant without being too formal! If cruising to the Caribbean, maybe a longish tropical print dress? Who knows? It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Agree, or the difference between beach and evening.

This year (Antigua) DW & I were in a queue for a Taxi. A lady in front of us turned and asked as to why my DW was wearing an evening dress in the morning, enquiring if we were going to a wedding. DW was wearing a plain cotton beach dress over a swimsuit.

We were on a Princess cruise and there was a man who came to the MDR every night in bib overalls!!! :eek: Most nights with a plaid shirt but on formal night he had a henley type shirt on!! :eek:

I am not a seasoned cruiser myself although I do travel quite lot to different countries for holidays. I am personally very happy for the change of direction with regards to formal night dress code moving forward. If I could drive to my port of departure in my car for my cruise I would have no problem taking an extra suite carrier but carting around the extra load (for two nights only) over a 10hour flight is not fun and increases my luggage allowance which I would prefer to use for other items as its quiet limited already. Even though I might not be wearing a dinner jacket that doesn't mean that I am going to dress down though as I have more pride in my appearance, this just allows me to wear more of what I feel comfortable in and still look polished. Although I think my partner who is a bit of Celebrity cheerleader maybe crying in her pillow tonight though :)

There's no crying in cruising! LOL!

;)

It's kind of too bad that Celebrity doesn't just designate certain evenings "Formal or Elegant Chic," which would appeal to both camps.

Those who wish to continue to don formal wear would feel validated, as also would those who choose a more understated appearance.

I just think that with the new standard, it may take away some of the pleasure people have in wearing formal attire. No one likes to feel they are over-dressing. Now that "formal" is no longer mentioned, that may be how it feels to some.

I hope Celebrity doesn't decide to do away with dress codes altogether. People may start showing up in the MDR naked...

I believe there's a Summit charter for that very purpose! And for sure my Azamara Quest sailing in 2016 will follow a "hedonistic" charter :eek: So it's hard to get worked up over these dress code issues!

Edited by Host Jazzbeau

And THIS is why we have dress code problems. While I'm not saying whether you follow any "code" or not, some feel that since they don't understand the dress code, they shouldn't have to follow it...and don't.

Sorry, I can't make heads or tails of this comment. It was a perfectly reasonable, possibly rhetorical, but perfectly reasonable question :confused::confused:

My husband and I have always enjoyed Celebrity's formal nights, and even loved the old days where they also had “Informal Nights” which required a jacket.

I do wonder why people cite the luggage restrictions as the reason they don’t want to dress formally. Clothes are clothes – you have to wear something, and unless you plan on wearing the same outfit every night, you still have to bring something to wear. My jeans weigh more than my formal dresses. Of course, if you’re doing a pre or post-cruise land vacation, the formal wear probably won’t be as versatile. I don’t know – maybe we’re doing it wrong, but we have never had any issues with our luggage weighing too much, even on a two week cruise with 3 formal nights, followed by a land vacation. One suitcase and one carry-on a piece is always enough for us. Of course, we do have laundry done on-board when necessary.

I really do think that, although the wording of it is awkward, Celebrity is trying to still have a somewhat “dressy” night, but if people choose not to dress formally, they don’t have to. They want everyone to be happy, and understandably, are trying to appeal to younger people who they hope will be their customers for many years to come. It’s quite apparent to me, at least at work, that many younger people (the men anyways) have no desire to dress up for anything, ever. Even their weddings are casual.

I think everyone should just follow at least the minimum suggested dress code dress, wear what makes them happy, and try not to worry about what anyone else is wearing. If my husband and I want to wear the tux and gown, we’ll do it anyways and enjoy ourselves.

I agree with your assessment. I think where Celebrity went off course with, is allowing "designer jeans" on chic nights. I think jeans of any kind should be reserved for smart casual nights, not on what used to be formal nights.

The biggest winner from this announcement is Cunard. Just one man's opinion.

And my experience has been that Princess is still formal. We had 4 formal nights on our last cruise and most people dressed to the nines! Gowns, tuxes, a few in dress kilts....but still really dressy!

Would someone be kind enough to tell me what a Flirty Sundress is? Where do I find one in my size? Should I wear my sport coat with it, or do I do the bra strap on the shoulder look?

LMBO!! Very funny!

Personally, I will probably go with the bra strap on the shoulder while DH will wear the sport coat with his flirty sundress! ;):D

I'm new to cruising, taking my first one in January on Celebrity so this is an interesting change but one I'm guessing I won't notice at all as I don't know any different. It sounds like you can still dress up as formally as you'd like and not really impact your personal experience while others still have to dress smartly but perhaps not to the tux level if they choose not to?

Right.

Hi

Just got the email from Celebrity

But yes the link to website says there are still formal nights. -- when will they get it together?...

[emoji156][emoji150]

Happy sailing to everyone

Do look at your calendar and note that we are over three weeks away from the implementation of the new policy. Meanwhile those going on cruises in the next few weeks may well have questions and it would not be cool to take all information about Formal nights off the site at this point.

I've been trying to keep this comment, but I cannot do so now. It definitely appears that Lisa Lutoff-Perlo has brought her Royal Caribbean mentality to Celebrity. She, and her terrible marketing ideas like the BBB and now no more formal nights, is turning a once elegant Celebrity into a more expensive version of Royal Caribbean. I'm so happy we're moving on.

BTW, my two cousins just got of their 6th Celebrity cruise and said "no more". They were so disappointed in how bad the food was (steaks that were tougher than shoe leather and chicken that when cut, was still pink inside and showed blood, and pasta that could be used as paste), and how overworked the staff was that many were unruly, that they said they could get the same things, for a lot less money by cruising on RCI. Pathetic.

I can see the casualites taking this all casual all the time atmosphere, and we all know that many will take this to mean they will be able to wear whatever they want, to new lows in what they'll wear to the MDR. More Pathetic.

Not sure where you are booking your cruises....but my first upcoming celebrity cruise is about the same price as my last RCI cruise?

BTW, on the Freedom of the Seas, everyone still dressed for formal nights...perhaps not in tuxes, but it was a Caribbean cruise and they tend to be a touch less formal.

The only cruise line I have sailed on who truly did not have formal nights was NCL. Granted it was to Alaska...but they have "dress up or not" night....no one dressed up!

Maybe I have just been lucky, but on my Celebrity Cruises everyone dressed very fashionably. People in the MDR dressed very appropriately including formal nights. I have faith in my fellow celebrity cruisers. I think people will dress in stylish, upscale, fashionable clothes. Celebrity will remain chic.

Do guys really wear tuxes anymore? I mean Clooney on the red carpet, but average guys? No one in my office even wears suits, unless they just like the look. Business casual at best, and in my group we can wear jeans/sneakers every day if we like (I work in finance in NYC). Times have changed!

DH wears a tux on Princess formal nights...he would rather not, but does it because it's expected. On Cunard it is required on formal nights (2). The smart casual nights require a jacket. So we have a 21 day Princess cruise coming up, followed by a 7 day QM2 cruise...so the tux and the fancy dress for me will be in the suitcases!

My X cruise coming up will be a nice break from all the fancy dress, but I will certainly be dressed nicely and appropriately.

Azamara-no

Disney - no

Oceania -no

Regent Seven Seas -no

Seabourn (optional)

Windstar - no

How about?

Carnival

Costa

Crystal

Cunard

Holland America

MSC

NCL

Princess

RCL

RCI - yes

Princess - yes

Cunard - yes

NCL - no

Carnival - yes

As someone who is regularly complimented on my shirts I wear (shirts that do not go with a suit or tux at all) I look forward to "chic". But then these are the shirts I also normaly wear of an evening for dinner when I am on holiday so no big change for me other than not having to pack a suit.

Flirty dress not removed, its only several pages back, right after the "skanky" dress...(I believe it's Kors, Bloomingdale's, but to our refined Celebrity crowd, "skanky").... SMH at the judgement mentality here.....

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I was thinking the same thing. :rolleyes: