REAL reason for new evening chic

zoncom

I guess we will have to see what really changes in peoples behaviour when the change is brought in, but I cannot see anyone from Celebrity trying to enforce the difference between evening chic and smart casual. I doubt if anyone on the staff would have the confidence to determine the difference and tell a guest that they had it wrong! So basically there will be no dress code beyond smart casual and every night will be the same. I for one will miss the added glitz that a formal night brought with the majority making a little additional effort and a bit of pressure on X to come up with something a little better in the dining room, On most cruises that we have been on there was a noticable difference in atmosphere on board which made those nights a bit special. There will be quite a few cheering on the change and as I do not cruise in order to wear my Tux, I dont suppose it would actually stop me or those who actually liked formal nights from booking so Celebrity will not lose any business.

Maybe the critical factor will be the drop in photographic takings which I suspect are likely to plummet even further without formal nights so expect even more pressure from the papparazzi on the quayside and around the ship. Sorry Celebrity but I think that for smart casual and shots around the ship we can manage perfectly well with a selfy stick.

Totally agree with your posting!!!!! You got it right.

The real reason is that the overwhelming majority that still want formal nights are dying. In order to maintain the brand and attract new customers, Celebrity has to adapt to what the newer potential customers want. I don't have any friends asking if I know of a vacation they can take where they can wear their tuxedos and evening gowns for dinner. In fact, it's common that friends say they don't really want to do a cruise because it's too scheduled and formal. No company making changes is going to make everyone happy, but in order reach out to the next generation of cruisers this change was essential. And for those that still want to get all dressed up, nothing in this new policy prevents you from doing so. My motto is any day on a ship is better than a day at work....no matter what the person next to me is wearing to dinner.

How times have changed:

Late 60's, I have a picture of my parents boarding an RCCL cruise. Mother was wearing a white wool suit, pearls, a silk scarf, stockings and high heels. Daddy had on a blazer and tie. We all know what people wear boarding the ship today.

Comments from my parents, and our experiences in the early 90's, related to the surprise at seeing the occasional child on the ship, usually a very well behaved European child. We all know how many children there are on ships today and how many activities are geared to families.

The MDR, which was the ONLY place to eat dinner was French service from waiters wearing white gloves. There were two seating times. We all know that French service is a thing of the past and there are many options and times for dinner.

As these changes evolved, many long time cruisers were horrified that the cruising experience, as they knew it, would never, ever be the same and was being dumbed down to pander to the lowest common denominator. The industry survived these changes and they will survive the change in the dress policies. Life goes on and the cruising world does not end because a tux and an evening gown are no longer required in the MDR.

To be honest I thin that Celebrity is trying to grow its clients from younger people. They have told me that 70+ is still a target demogrphic, but they are looking to grow their business with a younger but sophiticated and contemporary clientele. I fell in love with Celebrity when I was about 35, and years late I still love the quality of the overall product and the value. With Go Big Better Best we get to customize our inclusions and the product is much more sophisticated than some of the competitors.

I've always appreciated the way that Celebrity tries to empower their crew and staff to get things done and satisfy the guests. A competitor just announce that they were going to have spotless ships, when what they really need to do is empower their employees to satisfy clients and get things done right if not the first time, then at least the second. As long as Celebrity has a sophisticated decore and atmosphere, they won't be like the neon and plastic competitors. As longs as the service and customer satisfaction are there, I will stick with them. Not one can touch them in the contemporary or premium market when it comes to wine service. They also have great group pricing and amenities. With a few misses here or there I have been well served by the Celebrity product.

I guess I've mellowed over the years, because I was one who had a cow when they went to smart casual and above, dropped simi-formal, and made formal only for MDR. I think that the change just reflects an overall more casual atmosphere in the vacation industry. Remember that cruise lines don't just compete with each other, but with destinations like Vegas and tropical All Inclusives which are all casual all the time. You can spend more on a week at Sandals than you would a week in a suite on Celebrity.

As for the young people in the ad, well check out any Holland America add, those people are probably in their late 50's, about 20 years younger than most guests on board. All the premium and luxury cruise lines use slim young looking models. Then we all get on board and see that people that cruise look just like regular people, all ages, shapes and sizes.

The real reason is that the overwhelming majority that still want formal nights are dying. In order to maintain the brand and attract new customers, Celebrity has to adapt to what the newer potential customers want. I don't have any friends asking if I know of a vacation they can take where they can wear their tuxedos and evening gowns for dinner. In fact, it's common that friends say they don't really want to do a cruise because it's too scheduled and formal. No company making changes is going to make everyone happy, but in order reach out to the next generation of cruisers this change was essential. And for those that still want to get all dressed up, nothing in this new policy prevents you from doing so. My motto is any day on a ship is better than a day at work....no matter what the person next to me is wearing to dinner.

And for some reason this goes over the head of many people

Business is Business. The silver lining is more luggage space and not having to get the suit pressed once on board. BUT to the person who tries to wear swim shorts and a Hawaii shirt to Chic night... thats not chic. In the end dress up for yourself and your group. Respect that the ship is showing more leeway and hopefully anyone really pushing it will not be seated or served. Have some class while remaining comfortable. But the dress code is up for interpretation so there will be some communication needed by Celebrity.. which I have yet to receive. have 3 cruises coming up. one before Dec 4th and two after. I'll be betting that the formal nights are not enforced.

Hear, Hear. The new de facto standard is "wear what you want". I mean, X did not enforce the old Formal Night dress code and it was much easier to enforce.

Now, one person's "evening chic" is another person's "smart casual", and looking at the X definition of those two terms, there is very little difference between the two.

Originally Posted by ghstudio I had to smile when I read the announcement because I know I'm going to read here that on some ship, they continued to enforce the formal dress code after dec 5. Anyone want to place a virtual bet.

In the past year we have been on 5 Celebrity cruises on 3 different ships. If there were enforcing the formal dress code, I missed it. Saw many that didn't follow the 'suggested code.' With this new term/suggestion. it will not change anything other than become - wear what you want. The new term is a JOKE! There have been too many terms for dress.

They enforced the dress code more when you tried to attend the Elite Happy Hour when that should have been a casual affair. JMHO!

But why couldn't X provide one restaurant, among all the restaurants they have on board for those who still want to dress "to the nines"? Or seat them on one side of the upper MDR?

How times have changed:

Late 60's, I have a picture of my parents boarding an RCCL cruise. Mother was wearing a white wool suit, pearls, a silk scarf, stockings and high heels. Daddy had on a blazer and tie. We all know what people wear boarding the ship today.

Comments from my parents, and our experiences in the early 90's, related to the surprise at seeing the occasional child on the ship, usually a very well behaved European child. We all know how many children there are on ships today and how many activities are geared to families.

The MDR, which was the ONLY place to eat dinner was French service from waiters wearing white gloves. There were two seating times. We all know that French service is a thing of the past and there are many options and times for dinner.

As these changes evolved, many long time cruisers were horrified that the cruising experience, as they knew it, would never, ever be the same and was being dumbed down to pander to the lowest common denominator. The industry survived these changes and they will survive the change in the dress policies. Life goes on and the cruising world does not end because a tux and an evening gown are no longer required in the MDR.

The motto of some seems to be, "a day at work is better than a Formal Night on a sea cruise." Must be if they don't cruise just because of the Formal Night requirement.

Formal nights used to have a sense of occasion. Now they're being relegated to "just another night in comfy jeans."

Sad.

I'm closer in age to the 4 people in the Celebrity "Evening Chic" ad (30-40) than I am to the typical Celebrity Cruiser and I just bought a new tuxedo and several bow ties for my December 16th cruise.

I'm disappointed to hear about the new dress code, but I'm not too concerned. I'm still going to wear my tux on the "formerly formal" nights and enjoy it.

I'd always much rather be overdressed for an occasion than underdressed.

But why couldn't X provide one restaurant, among all the restaurants they have on board for those who still want to dress "to the nines"? Or seat them on one side of the upper MDR?

Because this would give fact to the belief that all cruise lines, not just Celebrity, are moving toward a 2 tier class system on their ships.

Edited by wallie5446

Yes, Celebrity is a business, which likes to make money, who does not?

I have two sons in their 30's, both are making 6 figure incomes...Neither owns a suit or tuxedo. But, they sure look sharp when they work and go out.

That is what Celebrity wants. They are going to fill the slots of the future.

Celebrity already gets the few that don't care what they look like, any where they go. That will never change.

It will not make a difference to me and hubby, we may be farmers, but that has really changed in the last years. We have actually been told that we don't look like farmers???? I love stereotypes lol

I understand that cruise lines are moving to a 2 tier system. However, I fail to see how this will perpetuate that theme. This is simply a way to have folks who like to "dress up" for a couple of nights a way to to that with a bunch of others with similar ideas.

I mean, folks in any suites, high level cabins, regular cabins, ocean view cabins, and inside cabins would be able to do this.

And if they couldn't use a specialty resturant for this, they could put all those who want to participate in "Formal" style nights in a separate section of MDR, together.

Because this would give fact to the belief that all cruise lines, not just Celebrity, are moving toward a 2 tier class system on their ships.

Honestly I think that Celebrity's new dress code is the direct result of their new tier system of cruising which offers Aqua class and suite class their own special dining room that is smart casual on all nights. Add to that the specialty restaurants and buffet that are also always smart casual. Why should those in the MDR have to comply to a formal dress code just to eat some rubber lobster or dried out Beef Wellington? Ironically passengers who book Aqua or suites seem to be complaining the most about demise of formal night. In reality nothing has changed for them.

Fundamentally, they're doing this because that's where the rest of the world is going.

Remember when people got dressed up to ride in an airplane? Remember when people wore suits and ties to eat in a nice restaurant? Remember when everybody wore a suit to work? All of those things have gone downhill or totally crashed. Hardly anyone dresses up like that anymore, and those are the same people who take cruises.

Sure there are holdouts -- many have posted in these threads. But the companies who are selling services to people in general have to make a decision that applies to all, and move to where the majority of their customer base, especially the long-term-future customer base, has moved. Formality in dress is firmly on the way out everywhere. Some individuals may not like it, but it's a fact. Dress standards do and always have reflected societal preferences at any particular time, and society has clearly shown that it prefers lessened formality of dress, especially while partaking of leisure. That's just how it is.