REAL reason for new evening chic

zoncom

Money! They have too many berths to sell. X is seeking the CCL,RCL.,NCL crowd that mistakenly thought Celebrity cruisers dined in gowns and tuxes nightly.

Our last 3 cruises sailed full. Have 2 booked for 2016, 1 is sold out the other has 1 suite, a few OV & inside cabins left. Have 2 booked in 2017- again 1 sold out and the not far behind. They don't seem to have a problem filling the ships.

I had to smile when I read the announcement because I know I'm going to read here that on some ship, they continued to enforce the formal dress code after dec 5.

Anyone want to place a virtual bet :)

I saw the official dates this morning and it's not the 5th for all ships. It seems to be the first sailing after the 5th so for some it was a week later. Could be interesting.

The "real reason" is because now they are listening to their guests, who will be cruising with them for the next 30 or more years!

And their guests want unlimited alcoholic beverages. In their comfy clothes. :)

I guess we will have to see what really changes in peoples behaviour when the change is brought in, but I cannot see anyone from Celebrity trying to enforce the difference between evening chic and smart casual. I doubt if anyone on the staff would have the confidence to determine the difference and tell a guest that they had it wrong! So basically there will be no dress code beyond smart casual and every night will be the same. I for one will miss the added glitz that a formal night brought with the majority making a little additional effort and a bit of pressure on X to come up with something a little better in the dining room, On most cruises that we have been on there was a noticable difference in atmosphere on board which made those nights a bit special. There will be quite a few cheering on the change and as I do not cruise in order to wear my Tux, I dont suppose it would actually stop me or those who actually liked formal nights from booking so Celebrity will not lose any business.

Maybe the critical factor will be the drop in photographic takings which I suspect are likely to plummet even further without formal nights so expect even more pressure from the papparazzi on the quayside and around the ship. Sorry Celebrity but I think that for smart casual and shots around the ship we can manage perfectly well with a selfy stick.

Edited by scifimonkey

I had to smile when I read the announcement because I know I'm going to read here that on some ship, they continued to enforce the formal dress code after dec 5.

Anyone want to place a virtual bet :)

You are so right. What Celebrity does best is consistently inconsistent.

The "real reason" is because now they are listening to their guests, who will be cruising with them for the next 30 or more years!

Yes

But in 30 years Celebrity will be dumping them! Or are they not going to get old?

Yes, they will be dumping them in 30 years, or SOONER!

The world changes, if you do not change with it, you die! Celebrity made a business decision...a smart one in my book.:):)

BILL

Yeah, like us! Been cruising since forever. We grew up and now we have to grow up all over again or maybe, cruise the rivers. Hey thanks for the new idea, river cruising is more our speed. We are truly sick and tired of being in the fast glitzy world and want to enjoy the sights.

Originally Posted by ghstudio I had to smile when I read the announcement because I know I'm going to read here that on some ship, they continued to enforce the formal dress code after dec 5. Anyone want to place a virtual bet.

In the past year we have been on 5 Celebrity cruises on 3 different ships. If there were enforcing the formal dress code, I missed it. Saw many that didn't follow the 'suggested code.' With this new term/suggestion. it will not change anything other than become - wear what you want. The new term is a JOKE! There have been too many terms for dress.

They enforced the dress code more when you tried to attend the Elite Happy Hour when that should have been a casual affair. JMHO!