Oasis - Johnny Rockets

lisaloo

Thank you

You're welcome! My only caution would be that we were less than impressed with the Johnny Rockets on Oasis. Easily the worst of any of the ships we've been on that has one - floor was extremely slick & greasy like it had never been mopped, staff seemed to have a "who gives a crap" attitude, and the area just seemed like it wasn't as clean as is the typical standard on Royal. Skip out on it for your boarding lunch and go elsewhere - Park Cafe, especially.

You're welcome! My only caution would be that we were less than impressed with the Johnny Rockets on Oasis. Easily the worst of any of the ships we've been on that has one - floor was extremely slick & greasy like it had never been mopped, staff seemed to have a "who gives a crap" attitude, and the area just seemed like it wasn't as clean as is the typical standard on Royal. Skip out on it for your boarding lunch and go elsewhere - Park Cafe, especially.

Judging from your cruise icons I am assuming this is a recent observation? That will be something I'll watch next May. That kind of thing can be a bad day, but we will see. I usually hit the Hot Dog stand on Allure (may do that on Oasis now) because it isn't busy and us northerners are trying to get out in the sun and by the pool right away :D Thought maybe this time I will try the Wipeout Cafe as it wasn't open on embarkation in 2011, but reportedly was in 2013. I will make it breakfast at least once at JRs.

Edited by BillOh

Go to the solarium. It is not crowded on boarding day.

They try to push everyone to windjammers.

My perception, and it maybe no more right than yours, is that they made the WJ too small on this ship intentionally to push people somewhere else. Either that or they anticipated more people doing such. I know for many the WJ is a boarding tradition that brings good feelings about a cruise just starting.

Judging from your cruise icons I am assuming this is a recent observation? That will be something I'll watch next May. That kind of thing can be a bad day, but we will see. I usually hit the Hot Dog stand on Allure (may do that on Oasis now) because it isn't busy and us northerners are trying to get out in the sun and by the pool right away :D Thought maybe this time I will try the Wipeout Cafe as it wasn't open on embarkation in 2011, but reportedly was in 2013. I will make it breakfast at least once at JRs.

Correct. This was an observation based on our cruise last month. To me the most disappointing thing about breakfast was that we went there because we knew they did eggs cooked to order on the flat top. I love a good scrambled egg and so, with great anticipation, I got scrambled eggs...and got a scoop of powdered egg product. If I'd wanted that I would have just gone to Windjammer. I found out later from somebody on Cruisecritic that I had to request real egg, but shouldn't that be the default when you're schtick is made to order eggs at breakfast? Otherwise, like I said, the floor was so slick as to almost be a slip hazard (I literally lost my footing at one point). When we went for breakfast service, we got there about 5-10 minutes prior to the end of breakfast and the person doing seating chastised us for this. At lunch, no dancing by the waitstaff and the food itself was just OK. Menus were a little dirty/beat-up and the interior just felt a little dingy/dirty.

Correct. This was an observation based on our cruise last month. To me the most disappointing thing about breakfast was that we went there because we knew they did eggs cooked to order on the flat top. I love a good scrambled egg and so, with great anticipation, I got scrambled eggs...and got a scoop of powdered egg product. If I'd wanted that I would have just gone to Windjammer. I found out later from somebody on Cruisecritic that I had to request real egg, but shouldn't that be the default when you're schtick is made to order eggs at breakfast? Otherwise, like I said, the floor was so slick as to almost be a slip hazard (I literally lost my footing at one point). When we went for breakfast service, we got there about 5-10 minutes prior to the end of breakfast and the person doing seating chastised us for this. At lunch, no dancing by the waitstaff and the food itself was just OK. Menus were a little dirty/beat-up and the interior just felt a little dingy/dirty.

I'm completely understanding about the scrambled egg and in agreement. I think I remembered the eggs I got were just like the WJ and having the impression I could have gotten them there. Everything else was good. We didn't make it inside, it was a beautiful morning so we ate outside at their area in the boardwalk.

thanks everyone - on our last Allure cruise we headed to Central Park and snagged an outside table for lunch at Park Café. Based on what I learned we will probably do the same - we will have my husband's 80 year old mother along this trip and was trying to find an "out of the way" location. I will never go to Windjammer on boarding day again - I can't handle the chaos

thanks everyone - on our last Allure cruise we headed to Central Park and snagged an outside table for lunch at Park Café. Based on what I learned we will probably do the same - we will have my husband's 80 year old mother along this trip and was trying to find an "out of the way" location. I will never go to Windjammer on boarding day again - I can't handle the chaos

The Wipeout Cafe is certainly out of the way, covered but open aired with lots of seating area, especially on embarkation day. As I may have mentioned earlier, it wasn't an option on my 2011 visit, but we may try it this time. I'll let the wife decide, she is big on tradition and we have done the Dog Haus twice. That said, the Wipeout puts us closer to our other tradition of hitting the pool ASAP. On the third hand, we will be Diamond this time, so the Park Cafe won't be as crowded as I've seen it when we board (probably assuming our traidtional early arrival and check in) ;)

My perception, and it maybe no more right than yours, is that they made the WJ too small on this ship intentionally to push people somewhere else. Either that or they anticipated more people doing such. I know for many the WJ is a boarding tradition that brings good feelings about a cruise just starting.
This past February (2015) was our third time on the Oasis. We found that the WJ had added more space because another restaurant (Izumi?) had been moved elsewhere on the ship. Although we didn't eat there very often, we always found a table.

I have to disagree. We were on the Quantum and that Johnny rockets is truly the worst. You have to place your order then wait for your food- no table service. The staff is so slow and you have limited choices. We waited 1/2 a hour for a small order of burgers and fries and of course had to pay for it. Maybe 4 other customers were waiting and at least 6 people were working at that venue! Clearly nobody was managing the staff. That was just the tip of the iceberg of poor service on that ship!

We have always enjoyed Johnny Rockets on the Allure and Oasis.

Edited by Cruise a holic

I have to disagree. We were on the Quantum and that Johnny rockets is truly the worst. You have to place your order then wait for your food- no table service. The staff is so slow and you have limited choices. We waited 1/2 a hour for a small order of burgers and fries and of course had to pay for it. Maybe 4 other customers were waiting and at least 6 people were working at that venue! Clearly nobody was managing the staff. That was just the tip of the iceberg of poor service on that ship!

We have always enjoyed Johnny Rockets on the Allure and Oasis.

Since there is no longer a Johnny Rockets on the Quantum, and the Quantum is in Asia, you need not be upset anymore.

Just off Oasis this morning. WJ was certainly full on embarkation day but there was no problem finding a seat. Lots of folks opted for alternate restaurants. I agree that the selection at the Oasis WJ is far less than on other ships.

Since there is no longer a Johnny Rockets on the Quantum, and the Quantum is in Asia, you need not be upset anymore.

The best way to show my displeasure is with the experience is with your pocket book! Would never book any Quantum category ship again and we cancelled our Anthem cruise! We do enjoy Celebrity, but will consider Oasis Class only. I am sure that RC will not miss us on the Quantum or Anthem- but at least I feel better. I didn't take seriously the low rating of the Quantum and had to experience it for myself- So I learned an expensive lesson.

Happy cruising!