New 30-day policy for last-minute upgrades

hawkeyetlse

The current booking pipeline is filled with people on packages, my last look at finances saw no slowdown on onboard maybe the packages get allocated to that revenue in the finances.

Choice has been in place for best part of a year, where next?

Escape already excluding one dining venue from the package.

The "unwritten rule" of offering OBC on a price drop most likely will be gone as well. They never had to give any, and when people post here sore about a last minute price drop they were usually told to take a long walk off a short pier by the same braggarts that claimed to get 1/4 of the price drop as OBC. Well, no more!

I just called NCL about some upcoming reservations, and the topic of possible price drops or upgrades came up. The agent told me that they will now only accept such requests 30 days or more before sailing. I guess the idea is that when they offer super last-minute fire sale fares, they actually want to attract new bookings and fill up the ship.

That does make sense.........I never understood the whole "Upgrade" thing from a business standpoint. Who cares about upgrading people who are already booked. What you want to do is FILL all of the remaining cabins, hopefully that is done with people who are not already booked. Don't get me wrong, upgrades are nice but from a business stand point not right

That does make sense.........I never understood the whole "Upgrade" thing from a business standpoint. Who cares about upgrading people who are already booked. What you want to do is FILL all of the remaining cabins, hopefully that is done with people who are not already booked. Don't get me wrong, upgrades are nice but from a business stand point not right

Good point and good premise; but if you have a paid up guest who will vacate a "cheap" room and pay to upgrade to a better room, you have a larger potential pool of people who may pay for the cheap room versus the more expensive vacant one.

Good point and good premise; but if you have a paid up guest who will vacate a "cheap" room and pay to upgrade to a better room, you have a larger potential pool of people who may pay for the cheap room versus the more expensive vacant one.

You have a good point but it only works if the price difference is higher

Why is this an issue? Fire sale prices have always been for new booking only. This is nothing new.
No, in the past people with existing bookings often took advantage of fire sales, too, by asking for (and receiving) either a category upgrade or a (partial) refund in the form of OBC. It was never a sure thing, but the attitude around here has always seemed to be "doesn't hurt to ask". I guess it still doesn't hurt to ask, but if they are serious about this new policy, if you are less than 30 days out, it is a waste of time to ask.

No, in the past people with existing bookings often took advantage of fire sales, too, by asking for (and receiving) either a category upgrade or a (partial) refund in the form of OBC. It was never a sure thing, but the attitude around here has always seemed to be "doesn't hurt to ask". I guess it still doesn't hurt to ask, but if they are serious about this new policy, if you are less than 30 days out, it is a waste of time to ask.

It didn't hurt to ask because the worst thing they can say is "No". They already locked a person in and don't have to upgrade and/or give OBC to them since it's at NCL's discretion to do due it being past final payment.

The way promos are right now - which, I believe is going to permanent for the foreseeable future - people are going for their original room choice and sticking to it because of promo choice and/or fare prices not going down at all.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

We always book last minute. Of 11 cruises on NCL 10 were booked within a week of sailing including September of this year. Despite what CEO's say there will always be last minute discounts on slow weeks. I m ok with no package if the price is right. I suspect that the cost of the package will be used to reduce the last minute fare on the slow weeks. September's sailing took some hard negotiating to get an appropriate deal.

I have a different view than most of you on the last minute customer. Last minute customers take the slow weeks and the slow selling rooms which would sail empty without the last minute customer. Since most of the cost of a cruise is fixed the only cost to the cruise line of the last minute customer is the variable cost of adding the extra guests on the ship. The variable cost of the extra guest is minimal so the last minute guest is quite profitable. The last minute guest also brings in immediate cash as the full cruise fare is paid at the time of booking.

This change has nothing to do with last minute customers. This change affects pre-booked customers who then requested adjustments due to last minute rates and were getting them.

The line is still free to sell cabins for $1 within a week of sailing if they want, the difference now is someone who booked 6 months ago can't try to get that $1 rate or an upgrade based on it, etc...

We always book last minute. Of 11 cruises on NCL 10 were booked within a week of sailing including September of this year. Despite what CEO's say there will always be last minute discounts on slow weeks. I m ok with no package if the price is right. I suspect that the cost of the package will be used to reduce the last minute fare on the slow weeks. September's sailing took some hard negotiating to get an appropriate deal.

I have a different view than most of you on the last minute customer. Last minute customers take the slow weeks and the slow selling rooms which would sail empty without the last minute customer. Since most of the cost of a cruise is fixed the only cost to the cruise line of the last minute customer is the variable cost of adding the extra guests on the ship. The variable cost of the extra guest is minimal so the last minute guest is quite profitable. The last minute guest also brings in immediate cash as the full cruise fare is paid at the time of booking.

cabin dumping in effect now.

11/15/15 Breakaway

Guarantee Inside 399

Guarantee Oceanview 549

Balcony 649

Guarantee Mini Suite 699

No perks offered.

But that's gotta burn people a bit that the prices for those categories before final payment were 699/899/1099/1149

Oh, and there is no single supplement now. A minisuite that was $2100 just before final payment is now available to a solo for 699.

That's walk out of work and don't go back pricing:D

It only devalues your experience if you let it.

If you booked the cruise and picked your cabin then you were obviously happy with the price . Be happy that your traveling because a lot of folks can't.

I do this too. Sometimes it's a like a car wreck and I can't help but look, but I've also wanted cabins or suites that are a limited commodity and am happy to book it early and am willing to pay that price in April, I'm still willing to pay it in February.

cabin dumping in effect now.

11/15/15 Breakaway

Guarantee Inside 399

Guarantee Oceanview 549

Balcony 649

Guarantee Mini Suite 699

No perks offered. But that's gotta burn people a bit that the prices for those categories before final payment were 699/899/1099/1149

Oh, and there is no single supplement now. A minisuite that was $2100 just before final payment is now available to a solo for 699.

That's walk out of work and don't go back pricing:D

At those prices, heck with the perks - just PAYG (Pay As You Go) & grab the suitcase + passports. Thats' what I was referring to - Thanksgiving week, similar deal now, prices a bit higher.

Then, the 12 nights South Carib sailing on the BA, following the trend. $649 Inside GTY, $749 OV GTY and $899 B GTY

Of course, these are good for those retired & can go, most working folks (unless self-employed) generally don't have 2+ weeks of unused vacation time going into November/December ...

FDR can't have things at NCL his way at all times, he can dream & wish all he can. Every major cruiselines are running sales and deals, dropping prices & offering OBC - and, another 2 for 1 Cruise Fares plus "free" airfares brochure from Oceania today.

At those prices, heck with the perks - just PAYG (Pay As You Go) & grab the suitcase + passports. Thats' what I was referring to - Thanksgiving week, similar deal now, prices a bit higher.

Then, the 12 nights South Carib sailing on the BA, following the trend. $649 Inside GTY, $749 OV GTY and $899 B GTY

Of course, these are good for those retired & can go, most working folks (unless self-employed) generally don't have 2+ weeks of unused vacation time going into November/December ...

FDR can't have things at NCL his way at all times, he can dream & wish all he can. Every major cruiselines are running sales and deals, dropping prices & offering OBC - and, another 2 for 1 Cruise Fares plus "free" airfares brochure from Oceania today.

Yes the Nov. 29th 12 night South Carib on the BA. Great prices! and.... it's friends and family sail FREE!

Harriet

Edited by hpecorari

I was looking at that one too! Looks awesome!

hey, if you can get away.....great prices and I couldn't believe friends and family sail free - that's 3rd-? only pay port fees. Big deal no other perks. For the price it's cheaper to pay for dinner and I don't drink anyway and still have the CAS drink card.

Harriet

I bought four future cruise deposits on my last cruise. I was told all come with the perks from the day I bought. Can see how they can take that away....

Mine was purchased years ago so it didn't come with anything when I purchased it.

Harriet

I bought four future cruise deposits on my last cruise. I was told all come with the perks from the day I bought. Can see how they can take that away....
Did you just buy the deposits for future use, or did you actually book 4 cabins on specific upcoming sailings? You only get one perk locked in if you make the bookings on board.

I bought them as gifts and was told they'd get the UBP or whatever perk was offered at the time of the FCD sale.
Unfortunately I think you were given misinformation. It is still a very nice gift, though! :) And the promos do not seem to be going anywhere soon so hopefully they will get the perks one way or another. Edited by hawkeyetlse

I bought them as gifts and was told they'd get the UBP or whatever perk was offered at the time of the FCD sale.

I think you were misinformed. If you actually booked a cruise when you bought the FCD you'd get whatever was that perk. But when the recipients use the FCD to book a cruise they will get whatever perk is available then.