Meds

socmft

.... Because they can.

Perhaps they had some tip off or suspicion about which we have no idea. In these high terrorism days, they may have wished interaction time to see if there was something about someone who seemed suspicious or may have met a profile they were on the look out for. Just idle speculation on my part. :o

Edited by sail7seas

It would definitely be local LEOs and not TSA who would be checking the pills in your seven day pillbox. Here in Florida the cops on airport detail have been known to hang around the scanners snooping for someone with "loose" pills (meaning not in original prescription bottle) in their carryons. If just one pill turns out to be a narcotic or the infamous "little blue pill" you will almost certainly be arrested unless you have a copy of the scrip.

Edited by fishywood

As I said this happening in Fairbanks, not a cruise port. Tourists tend to be older..... Just seemed from my knowledge of this particular facility, the traveler must have been going up north. This is not a normal happening in the very isolated corner of the North!

Florida I get, Alaska not so much :)

The security person at the Fairbanks airport checked my 7 day pill container against my prescription bottles.

The Quote below is from the same poster on 3/31/15

This reports that a TSA/Security person opened up a 7 day container and verified each pill in each slot with the pills in their bottles.... So Lipitor, Metformin, Blood Pressure, etc spread out at the TSA counter???? And comparing those pills with the ones in the bottles? Sorry I find this "other worldly" to say the Least!

" I Had every one of my medications examined at the Fairbanks airport. There was only one security guy for our flight. It took forever to get through security because he checked everything! He checked every pill in my 7 day container against the prescription bottles that I had with me. I have never had them checked any where else in the US or Europe."

Edited by JVilleGal

If I get arrested for the single Xanax I carry in a small pillbox for flights, I will report back here on the fine use of law enforcement resources.

Report back if you see Grandma from Kansas being frisked too! Our hard earning Tax Dollars at work ;)

It was a TSA agent that checked my pills. I was headed to Anchorage. I am sorry that some people find this hard to believe. I have read on these boards that this has happened to others at different airports. I have flown many times from different airports and this has only happened once.

It was a TSA agent that checked my pills. I was headed to Anchorage. I am sorry that some people find this hard to believe. I have read on these boards that this has happened to others at different airports. I have flown many times from different airports and this has only happened once.

TSA has no right to do that. I would have been hollering for a supervisor!!

Be aware that the poster with the Fairbanks Meds issue had this happen sometime prior to 2011. This according to her posting history.

TSA does not search for medications and prescriptions. That would be the charge of Customs, Law Enforcement , DEA.... TSA does search everything (not matching individual pills) if you set the Naked Scanner off or something X-rays weird. We have all been there and done that. TSA is not interest in your Advil, Lipitor or Blood Pressure Meds and certainly not pills fitting in a 7 day pill holder.

Don't worry about your Meds but do have copies of your prescriptions with you if you carry pills in daily pill baggies or weekly pill holders. I recently took 4 weeks of 8 daily pills in daily baggies to Europe. Love zip lock baggies to contain each weeks supply. This enormous supply of my Meds never raised an eyebrow with anyone.

If you are going to a foreign country make sure your Legal drugs are also legal in the countries you are visiting.

Don't worry about it to much!

Edited by JVilleGal

Don't worry about your Meds but do have copies of your prescriptions with you if you carry pills in daily pill baggies or weekly pill holders. I recently took 4 weeks of 8 daily pills in daily baggies to Europe. Love zip lock baggies to contain each weeks supply. This enormous supply of my Meds never raised an eyebrow with anyone.

If you are going to a foreign country make sure your Legal drugs are also legal in the countries you are visiting.

The only way to ensure not having anything to worry about is to confirm that each country you are visiting does NOT require meds in original containers.

Whenever one travels internationally, the onus is on the traveler to understand and adhere to the laws and regulations of the country being visited. Chose - either out of ignorance or intentionally - not to and get caught then the penalty is on the traveler. It is truly amazing how many people call the US Embassy after getting in legal trouble (of any kind) in a foreign country saying 'but it's okay in the US" or "nobody told me I couldn't do x, y, and z." Then they expect the US government to bail them out.

The point is just because it hasn't happened to you "YET" does not mean it does not happen. When people report what has happened to them regarding their meds it is no less valid than those reporting in all their many trips nothing has happened to them, "YET".

Exactly! See my response below-

And had the opposite happen- I was on an extended trip, which entailed over a dozen flights within the US and into and out of the US and other countries. I had my meds on their original containers (mostly blister packs), and there were a few times I was pulled aside and questioned about why I was traveling with so many pills. I had to show the blister packs, and all others, produce the prescriptions, and show them all my flight tickets. This happened both in the US and elsewhere.

True, but not because YOU have never experienced any problems. As long as one is prepared with supporting paperwork, there is nothing to fret about. I take care to keep my meds organized and easy to pull out for inspection. Now that I also have to travel with meds in syringes for my heart issues, I also carry a letter from my doctor detailing their use. It's not a big deal; I know the drill and am prepared.

Edited by happy trailer

Exactly! See my response below-

True, but not because YOU have never experienced any problems. As long as one is prepared with supporting paperwork, there is nothing to fret about. I take care to keep my meds organized and easy to pull out for inspection. Now that I also have to travel with meds in syringes for my heart issues, I also carry a letter from my doctor detailing their use. It's not a big deal, now that I know the drill and am prepared.

Good grief! Once again know the laws of the countries you are traveling in! Always carry your prescription information with you AND remember just because a drug is legally prescribed and dispensed in one country does NOT mean it is legal in another country!

Yes I believe this has been said by myself and others numerous times in this thread...

Do your research!

The only way to ensure not having anything to worry about is to confirm that each country you are visiting does NOT require meds in original containers.

Whenever one travels internationally, the onus is on the traveler to understand and adhere to the laws and regulations of the country being visited. Chose - either out of ignorance or intentionally - not to and get caught then the penalty is on the traveler. It is truly amazing how many people call the US Embassy after getting in legal trouble (of any kind) in a foreign country saying 'but it's okay in the US" or "nobody told me I couldn't do x, y, and z." Then they expect the US government to bail them out.

I believe this has been stated numerous times by myself and others on this thread!

Do your research if going to another country with prescription drugs !

Edited by JVilleGal

TSA will check meds if they are bored under the premise that a pill can be a WTMD when mixed with that hazardous bottle water :roll eyes: They fail at the tests for explosives and weapons all the time. They will also check for excess cash and, if they think you have it, they will call over the Customs or local LEO…

Just because it has not happened to you does not mean it does not happen...

Good grief! Once again know the laws of the countries you are traveling in! Always carry your prescription information with you AND remember just because a drug is legally prescribed and dispensed in one country does NOT mean it is legal in another country!

Yes I believe this has been said by myself and others numerous times in this thread...

Do your research!

Actually, I was replying to your statement, "This enormous supply of my Meds never raised an eyebrow with anyone."

It sure seemed (to me, and from other's posts, not just to me) that you were implying that since you didn't have a problem, no one should expect to.

BTW, I was fully aware that all my meds were legal in each country I travelled to. It was the volume of my meds that drew attention- it certainly seemed you were claiming that would not be an issue at all, which is why I responded.

I believe this has been stated numerous times by myself and others on this thread!

I was responding specifically to the question of whether pills needed to be in their original containers. Many respondents on this board - yourself included - have provided personal anecdotal evidence that repackaging meds isn't a problem. To me, that is in the category of 'free advice' and worth what you pay for it :D.

As you said, do your research - and I really don't think that cruise critic counts as a research site for something that could potentially get you into legal trouble in a foreign country.

Edited by capriccio

An excellent article published by the folks at "insuremytrip", I buy travel insurance thru them and the "tripinsurancestore" both are great resources.

Anyway this article is on topic for questions raised in this thread!

http://blog.insuremytrip.com/2015/11/02/making-traveling-with-medications-easier/

An excellent article published by the folks at "insuremytrip", I buy travel insurance thru them and the "tripinsurancestore" both are great resources.

Anyway this article is on topic for questions raised in this thread!

http://blog.insuremytrip.com/2015/11/02/making-traveling-with-medications-easier/

Not a word in this article about foreign travel and foreign inspection of meds. Again, it is anecdotal "Some experts say you should travel with all medications in original bottles, but I can tell you that in twenty years of travel I have never had a problem traveling with pill organizers."

If an international traveler looking for advice decides to take the word of an author writing for a travel insurance website over that of the recommendations of the US State Department (including checking each country's requirements) so be it. Good luck quoting that article if you do get stopped.

PS I have nothing against insuremytrip since I have used them before.

Not a word in this article about foreign travel and foreign inspection of meds. Again, it is anecdotal "Some experts say you should travel with all medications in original bottles, but I can tell you that in twenty years of travel I have never had a problem traveling with pill organizers."

If an international traveler looking for advice decides to take the word of an author writing for a travel insurance website over that of the recommendations of the US State Department (including checking each country's requirements) so be it. Good luck quoting that article if you do get stopped.

PS I have nothing against insuremytrip since I have used them before.

What is your problem??? Have you totally ignored all the excellent advice regarding checking with other countries to see the requirements for bring your "prescription" drugs?????

You seem to quote me and this article out of context, which was simply posted as a curtesy for other readers. I do not believe anyone in this entire thread ever even implied that TSA has anything to do with the laws of other counties!

Cruise critic is a wonderful resource. You are given advice and information but never is this the place to get the absolute answer.

Everyone has different circumstances, and not everyone is from the same country or carry the same passport.

I have been traveling internationally since the late 60's many things have changed and continue to change. My experience is that medications (for me) have never been an issue but do check on the rules of where you plan to travel.

I am done so done with this thread!

I don't know why you wouldn't want to carry your prescriptions in their original containers. Surely they won't take up that much extra room and you will certainly not have any problem with the laws of states and countries if you do so. However, if you are disembarking somewhere with your medication you should check the laws of that country. There are several countries, especially in the Middle East where prescriptions of medicines that are controlled substances in the U.S. can be banned or require prior permission and documentation. Don't take anything for granted. It is your responsibility to know the laws of the country you are entering.

I don't know why you wouldn't want to carry your prescriptions in their original containers. Surely they won't take up that much extra room and you will certainly not have any problem with the laws of states and countries if you do so. However, if you are disembarking somewhere with your medication you should check the laws of that country. There are several countries, especially in the Middle East where prescriptions of medicines that are controlled substances in the U.S. can be banned or require prior permission and documentation. Don't take anything for granted. It is your responsibility to know the laws of the country you are entering.

Speaking only for myself and taking responsibility for the consequences: if I only need two tiny Xanax pills for an entire trip, no I don't want to carry the whole bottle. Plus, narcotic meds are high-desirability theft targets so it's one more thing I have to be careful to keep on my person or in the safe.

Edited by perditax

We found a wonderful solution for dealing with DH's pile of daily meds. He switched his prescriptions over to PillPack. They take his daily pill schedule, 8 am, 2pm, 8pm, and seal each set of pills into a clear packet labeled with the date, time and the names of the pills in the packet. They even include his non-prescription daily pills. All the packets are shipped to the house on a roll every two weeks along with a printout of all the prescription labels. When we go on a trip, or even just out for the day, he grabs just the packets needed for the time we will be out and the label sheets. No more bag full of bottles to keep track of or haul around.

It works great for him, whether we are cruising or on any other trip.

JoJo

I know a couple people already responded to this, but I'll add a tidbit of info in case anyone else encounters overzealous TSA agents. It is important to know that TSA is responsible for transportation safety. They are not law enforcement. Questioning your prescriptions is outside of their duties. The law enforcement branch of TSA is the Air Marshals, and they are not working the security lines. If TSA ever does this to you again, immediately demand a law enforcement officer.

I don't know why you wouldn't want to carry your prescriptions in their original containers. Surely they won't take up that much extra room ...

This may be true for you but it certainly isn't true for us. I (Scott) take 20 pills daily and Karen takes 12. Our cruising last winter was for 223 days continuous. Do you have any idea of how large a bundle of medicines this represents in the original containers? It simply is not practical for us.

Scott and Karen