Are you handicapped?

Lily815

Most "Family" restrooms are a single use only. Helpful if a mother is taking in her young son or father taking in a daughter, or someone helping another family member. I know people who are "Bathroom Bashful" and just can't do their business in a public restroom with many stalls. I am thinking that the OP was talking about a single use restroom, as opposed to the HC stall in a many stall restroom.

Yes, it was a single use male/ female/family/ accessible restroom.

I only use the HC stall in public bathrooms where there are multiple stalls. I would never use a single HC bathroom.

Thank you.

There is such a difference in the two scenarios.

A single HC restroom is a life saver for us.

Disney has them all over the park, which makes it possible for us to go there and enjoy ourselves.

Our local mall has ONE - in the Nordstrom's at the far end of the mall - so we have to plan our shopping accordingly.

Many cruise ships also have these single bathrooms, so DH knows that when we are out and about on the ship, he doesn't have to worry if nature calls!

The point is that rude woman had no idea why that lady was using the restroom. How dare she question her! She waited a whopping 10 seconds, if that.

I realize your point ... I was replying to the people who said they would use a single HC bathroom if it were open.

As far as the rude woman, I am in complete agreement with you, she had no right to question the woman using the HC bathroom.

There are many invisible handicaps, and it is not for us to judge or to demand proof.

Even with HC parking spaces - not our place to demand proof.

I only use the HC stall in public bathrooms where there are multiple stalls. I would never use a single HC bathroom.
I'm the same, I'll use the HC stall if all others are taken and there is no one waiting with disabilities that needs it or a mother with children who needs the room, but I never use a single HC bathroom.

On another (related) note, if you DO use the single HC bathroom, PLEASE remember to lock the door. When I was on the Breakaway, I saw more than I wanted to see a couple of times because the person using the restroom forgot to lock the door behind them and someone trying to enter tapped the auto-open button while I was passing by.

The point is that rude woman had no idea why that lady was using the restroom. How dare she question her! She waited a whopping 10 seconds, if that.

A visually non handicapped person would be in and out a lot faster than someone truly handicapped and required extensive time to use it. So, that would be a positive.

Example of an invisible need for an accessible toilet:

I have IBS. Most of the time, this just means I use regular bathrooms more frequently. Sometimes, this means I have incredibly painful bouts of diarrhea interspersed with cramps that can only be relieved by inverting my bowel system (basically getting into a yoga position in the bathroom). I'm hoping you all now have enough of a visual as to why on those rare occasions, I will pick the accessible and private bathroom. I may well skip out afterwards, thrilled to be back to normal.

Sometimes, because of the amount of people expected to be in a certain area, a single bathroom (toilet and sink) is all that is required by the codes governing that facility. In that case, ADA requires that single bathroom to be handicap accessible. It does not mean (unless stated on or adjacent to the door) it is ONLY For handicapped people. Sometimes it's the only bathroom in the building. That doesn't mean non-handicapped people are supposed to use the gas station next door.

Sometimes, because of the amount of people expected to be in a certain area, a single bathroom (toilet and sink) is all that is required by the codes governing that facility. In that case, ADA requires that single bathroom to be handicap accessible. It does not mean (unless stated on or adjacent to the door) it is ONLY For handicapped people. Sometimes it's the only bathroom in the building. That doesn't mean non-handicapped people are supposed to use the gas station next door.

Excellent point.

Just witnessed a very rude woman acting "trailer trash" on someone who came out of the accessible / family bathroom on the Escape. The woman in question walked to the bathroom and found it occupied. The occupant came out literally 5 seconds later, and the woman proceeded to loudly ask her if she was handicapped. The occupant had enough class to just walk away, but I was dumbfounded. How rude can one person be?! Not all handicaps are visable. Maybe she was claustrophobic or something. I found it to be in extremely poor taste. I would never ask anyone that.

I would have smiled and responded, "Even though it's quite obvious the answer I didn't inquire if you are stupid, now did I?"

Then I would have walked away.

Agreed! If there is a disabled person needing the bathroom, then you give it to them and wait for another. If the bathroom is empty, use whatever stall you want. They are there so they CAN use the facilities, there's nothing saying it's going to be free any time they may need it. OMG.

How rude.

I could take a line from "Johnny Dangerously" - "I AM handicapped! I'm psychotic!"

Couldn't agree more...those who are handicapped should have these facilities available to them, but if there is no handicapped person using them or waiting to use them, then anyone should be able to use them(quickly, of course). I have often done this myself as the toilet is generally higher than a regular toilet and it is much easier on these old stiff joints!! :);)

• 2 weeks later...
On a similar note I save non visuAl handicaps. Lately I have considered requesting a handicapped room for the bathroom. What type documentation does nclick require?

NCL does not require any documentation. We booked our first handicapped room for our next cruise because my husband can no longer step over the bathroom threshhold, requires more hold bars in bathroom, and other helps.

So we essentially booked it for the bathroom but the larger size cabin will also help his mobility problem. He only uses a cane, though, no walker.

I would have smiled and responded, "Even though it's quite obvious the answer I didn't inquire if you are stupid, now did I?"

Then I would have walked away.

Or

"Madam (not Lady meaning but brothel) I'm fat you are stupid. I can go on a diat - what can you do".

I think the woman confused accessible restrooms with handicapped parking spaces. Unlike parking spaces, accessible stalls are not reserved for people with disabilities. ANYONE can use them. Just don't spread out and read the Sunday paper. ;) There might be an emergency in the making. As someone who spent time in a wheelchair because of an accident and was a special education teacher, I can tell you that it is important to have them available, but certainly they are not reserved.