Does HAL have a dining room just for suites?

Hflors

You want to pay extra for an extra large cabin? Fine, go ahead. But you are not superior to me in any way, and the rest of the ship and cruise experience for the most part is the same for all passengers on HAL. I will not be barred from nightclubs or eat inferior food just to make you feel better about yourself.

Lol, I don't think any of us feel superior. I do however like the perks so I am willing to pay for it. After 2 upsells into a Neptune I think I'm ready to pay full price next round to guarantee myself the handicap room. I really appreciate the extra space since I'm disabled and the dressing room makes things so much easier. I also enjoy the other perks like the free lattes, the concierge, and the free laundry/dry cleaning.

As others have pointed out, the Pinnacle breakfast is exactly the same as the MDR breakfast. Likewise, the Neptune Lounge is nothing to get excited about. Just a couple of carrots for those who paid so much more for the same cruise.

Let me give you a hint/tip about the Neptune lounge snacks. The same things are available in the explorations lounge (I think I named the right spot... the place with the library and Internet). I went up there and got the same chocolate covered strawberries for free that I had earlier in the day in the lounge.

Edited by sherilyn70

Lol, I don't think any of us feel superior. I do however like the perks so I am willing to pay for it. After 2 upsells into a Neptune I think I'm ready to pay full price next round to guarantee myself the handicap room. I really appreciate the extra space since I'm disabled and the dressing room makes things so much easier. I also enjoy the other perks like the free lattes, the concierge, and the free laundry/dry cleaning.

Let me give you a hint/tip about the Neptune lounge snacks. The same things are available in the explorations lounge (I think I named the right spot... the place with the library and Internet). I went up there and got the same chocolate covered strawberries for free that I had earlier in the day in the lounge.

While there are some snacks in the explorations café it is not to the extent that they have in the Neptune lounge. That said, pretty much anything you would get there you could get elsewhere on the ship.

...IMO, the mistake HAL made some years ago is when they 'took' from suite some amenities and gave them to Star Mariners. Priority Embarkation, Priority Tendering, included laundry and other features became redundant. Suites guests are paying for those things yet if they are Four or Five Star they are getting them 'free'. :rolleyes:

Now when some people think HLAL should be providing more benefits to high level Mariners they don't know where to 'take' them from....

Hello Sail,

I know you have expressed this opinion previously in various posts. I need to disagree with you strongly.

IMHO, nothing has been "taken" from suite cruisers when high level mariners are given certain perks. The suite cruisers have lost nothing. They still have all of the same perks that they ever did. Nothing has been taken away from them.

So I don't understand why you continually complain of things being "Taken away" from suite passengers.

Scott & Karen

Do you feel the same about flying? First and Business classes gets very different treatment than Coach does.

Well, I am lucky enough to fly normally in C or F, but flying is a way of transportation, not a vacation.

If HAL introduces Class Dinng like at Celebrity, we will change lines again and head off to Oceania or Azamara. So far we like the larger ships and service of HAL though.

Well, I am lucky enough to fly normally in C or F, but flying is a way of transportation, not a vacation.

If HAL introduces Class Dinng like at Celebrity, we will change lines again and head off to Oceania or Azamara. So far we like the larger ships and service of HAL though.

Couldn't agree with you more!

Funny thing is that it's the larger ships and drop in service that has pushed us away from HAL. That's one of the great things about cruising, lots of choices. :)

Edited by Randyk47

Hello Sail,

I know you have expressed this opinion previously in various posts. I need to disagree with you strongly.

IMHO, nothing has been "taken" from suite cruisers when high level mariners are given certain perks. The suite cruisers have lost nothing. They still have all of the same perks that they ever did. Nothing has been taken away from them.

So I don't understand why you continually complain of things being "Taken away" from suite passengers.

Scott & Karen

I think I understand what Sail is saying. It isn't that perks are taken away, it's a loss in value. If perks for high-star mariners are also given to suite passengers, a high-star mariner in a suite is paying for them twice but getting them once. (And, yes, your high-star perks are paid for. You've paid for them over the years by booking lots of cruises.)

It doesn't bother me if there's overlap in perks. I suppose HAL ran out of ideas. But I do understand where Sail is coming from on this.

The original post said it all. It was dripping with snobbishness, even using the word "steerage" for the other passengers.

How do you explain the desire for separate dining venues if not to satisfy a superior attitude? The Pinnacle Grill is always available for anyone who wants to step up from the MDR. No need for it to be exclusive.

igraf

(bold is mine) When I book a suite, I do not think it makes me better than those who do not. I feel just as good about myself in an inside or OV as I do in a suite. I don't need HAL to bolster my self-image. If I book a suite it's for creature comforts that I enjoy, not for bragging rights.

I find it interesting that the comments on this thread about the snobbiness or psychological inadequacies of suite passengers come from people who say they don't book suites on HAL.

The original post said it all. It was dripping with snobbishness, even using the word "steerage" for the other passengers.

How do you explain the desire for separate dining venues if not to satisfy a superior attitude? The Pinnacle Grill is always available for anyone who wants to step up from the MDR. No need for it to be exclusive.

igraf

No, OP is NOT in a suite. The original post is a concern that he/she is IN "steerage," not above it. Yet another nonsuite passenger concerned about his/her status?

I don't know if you read posts on the Cunard boards, but those of us who book ordinary cabins and eat in the MDR on Cunard use the term "steerage" affectionately. Perhaps that was OP's intention, as he/she did use quotation marks around the word.

I think I understand what Sail is saying. It isn't that perks are taken away, it's a loss in value. If perks for high-star mariners are also given to suite passengers, a high-star mariner in a suite is paying for them twice but getting them once. (And, yes, your high-star perks are paid for. You've paid for them over the years by booking lots of cruises.)

It doesn't bother me if there's overlap in perks. I suppose HAL ran out of ideas. But I do understand where Sail is coming from on this.

I also understand what Sail7seas is saying. I also agree that HAL has kind of run out of options to reward loyal customers while at the same time providing unique and somewhat exclusive benefits to passengers who book the upper tier cabins. The additional conundrum is that the probably some of the things HAL could do to add amenities to the upper tier cabins (i.e., separate dining, restricted/reserved deck areas, butlers, included beverages) would probably drive a significant number of existing and potential guests to other lines. It doesn't help that HAL's fleet is basically small to medium size when compared to some of the other mass market lines. There's just only so much space to set aside for special ammenties without encroaching or somehow reducing the general ammenties available to all passengers. Personally I'm glad I'm not in their business.

I also understand what Sail7seas is saying. I also agree that HAL has kind of run out of options to reward loyal customers while at the same time providing unique and somewhat exclusive benefits to passengers who book the upper tier cabins. The additional conundrum is that the probably some of the things HAL could do to add amenities to the upper tier cabins (i.e., separate dining, restricted/reserved deck areas, butlers, included beverages) would probably drive a significant number of existing and potential guests to other lines. It doesn't help that HAL's fleet is basically small to medium size when compared to some of the other mass market lines. There's just only so much space to set aside for special ammenties without encroaching or somehow reducing the general ammenties available to all passengers. Personally I'm glad I'm not in their business.

I can't think of any significant perks they can give beyond freebies--and a lot of them are included in promos, so again you'd have the overlap issue. I don't expect HAL to set aside restricted spaces. Other lines have ships that were built with designated suite areas, so nothing was taken away from nonsuite passengers. If HAL were to set aside a deck area or loungers just for suite passengers, it would create terrible ill will. (I remember the complaints about the reserved loungers for lanai cabins.) I've always thought it kind of funny that suite passengers on some ships get special deck areas when they have the largest balconies all to themselves.

What is wrong with having a choice. You have different choices on airlines, hotels, cruise lines, restaurants, where you live and many other choices in life. It would be a shame if we had to settle on the lowest common denominator and had no choice on the person who decided what it was.

I'm sure this happens on all lines. On princess the suite benefits do mirror some of the elite benefits. It doesn't bother me for one second. I guess people that have many days should be happy with getting a medal :rolleyes:. It's always a choice to pick the room we want. I don't see how the cruise line could possibly make a separate set of benefits just for high day Mariners.

Edited by cruz chic

igraf

Like another poster has pointed out the op is complaining about being in steerage. It's interesting how the meaning of posts on this board gets twisted to mean something totally different to try to make a point.

We normally travel in a Neptune suite and biggest complaint with HAL (which I have put on last 4 or 5 surveys) is the food quality.

In the past few years that we have been sailing with HAL I have seen a significant change for the worse in the food.

(For example Less prime steak, more dishes with poor quality meats camouflaged in heavy sauces)

If I am paying top tier prices for the cruise I should get top tier food quality. If this must be done by having separate dining room I don’t care I just think people in Suite should also get fair value for their money.

Hello Sail,

Scott & Karen

Hi Scott & Karen,

When Priority Embarkation is now available to possibly hundreds on a given cruise, there is no longer any Priority. When it was only Suites, there were far fewer people using the benefit. Same for Priority Tendering. Same for Priority Disembarkation. Same for laundry.

When we booked and paid for "SA" and "S" Suites prior to them being called Neptune Suites, one of the 'selling features' were those benefits. They were an attraction we valued so we paid the extra money to get them along with the other amenities of the suite.

When the Star Mariner Program began and those benefits started being 'selling points' to reaching high number of days, many more people now are included in the amenity but we are still paying for it in suites and have lost any 'real priority' given the far higher number of guests.

It is a clear concept. Perhaps you don't agree but it is not confusing.

Hi Scott & Karen,

When Priority Embarkation is now available to possibly hundreds on a given cruise, there is no longer any Priority. When it was only Suites, there were far fewer people using the benefit. Same for Priority Tendering. Same for Priority Disembarkation. Same for laundry.

When we booked and paid for "SA" and "S" Suites prior to them being called Neptune Suites, one of the 'selling features' were those benefits. They were an attraction we valued so we paid the extra money to get them along with the other amenities of the suite.

When the Star Mariner Program began and those benefits started being 'selling points' to reaching high number of days, many more people now are included in the amenity but we are still paying for it in suites and have lost any 'real priority' given the far higher number of guests.

It is a clear concept. Perhaps you don't agree but it is not confusing.

I have to smile a bit and nod in agreement. Our last HAL cruise on the Maasdam was a longer 14-day cruise and had a lot of returning and advanced status Mariners. It wasn't a problem per se but it did delute some of the advantage of being in a Neptune Suite. There were actually a few occasions where the non-suite/non-advanced Mariner line was shorter.

... When we booked and paid for "SA" and "S" Suites prior to them being called Neptune Suites, one of the 'selling features' were those benefits. They were an attraction we valued so we paid the extra money to get them along with the other amenities of the suite.

It is a clear concept...

I agree - it is a "clear concept", and one for which there is a clear "solution": just stop booking (and paying a premium for) Neptune Suites since you already have all of the suite amenities as part of your Mariner Society benefits. Seems terribly obvious to me.

I agree - it is a "clear concept", and one for which there is a clear "solution": just stop booking (and paying a premium for) Neptune Suites since you already have all of the suite amenities as part of your Mariner Society benefits. Seems terribly obvious to me.

Or give advanced Mariner status passengers who book an upper tier suite a rebate on the suite to offset the the cost of amenities they don't need to pay for. :rolleyes::)

Clearly that solution is not clear to those of us who have sailed for a great many years in those suites. :) Were it so clear, we likely would have done that. Some guests have left HAL, some have stopped sailing and some of us come to CC (and other venues) to express our opinions. It is easy to simply give up when not satisfied with something. It takes more effort to try and fix it (or at least make it more to one's individual liking). It is also very easy to be dismissive of others' feelings and opinions that do not agree with ones own.

Or give advanced Mariner status passengers who book an upper tier suite a rebate on the suite to offset the the cost of amenities they don't need to pay for. :rolleyes::)

While I would appreciate their acknowledgement of the duplication we are paying for it wouldn't solve the issue of having lost priority.

But it's a start in the right direction. :)

I think HAL needs to come up with some more 'suite benefits' such as included number of beverages/cocktails/glasses of wine, internet minutes, option of free excursion or OBC or something else along those lines.

Maybe a free cabana at HMC for cruises that stop there? :D I won't count on that.

Edited by sail7seas

While I would appreciate their acknowledgement of the duplication we are paying for it wouldn't solve the issue of having lost priority.

But it's a start in the right direction. :)

I think HAL needs to come up with some more 'suite benefits' such as included number of beverages/cocktails/glasses of wine, internet minutes, option of free excursion or OBC or something else along those lines.

Maybe a free cabana at HMC for cruises that stop there? :D I won't count on that.

I was actually being a bit tongue-in-cheek but the salient point is that HAL needs to go back and revisit their amenities package and Mariner Society rewards. Obviously backtracking on Mariner Society rewards will not happen so that means adding amenities and you make some good suggestions.

Clearly that solution is not clear to those of us who have sailed for a great many years in those suites. :) Were it so clear, we likely would have done that. Some guests have left HAL, some have stopped sailing and some of us come to CC (and other venues) to express our opinions. It is easy to simply give up when not satisfied with something. It takes more effort to try and fix it (or at least make it more to one's individual liking). It is also very easy to be dismissive of others' feelings and opinions that do not agree with ones own.

We have also cruised on HAL over "a great many years in those suites" and also receive 5* Mariner benefits. As such, I do understand what you are saying and am not being "dismissive of [your] feelings and opinions". I just don't agree with you, mainly because I do not see this matter as a zero sum game and am wildly indifferent as to what others may get in the way of Mariner and/or Suite benefits/amenities as long as I get what I have paid for. We continue to cruise on HAL not for the "freebies", recognition or purchased status but because we like the HAL product and feel it is priced fairly. JMO

Edited by avian777