Miami airport madness

yorky

Well, finally at our hotel, the Savoy in south beach after two and a half hours that is the madness of Miami Airport. Worst experience of any airport we have ever used. Why an earth do they recheck passports at the exits after you have already gone through passport control ? The lines just to get out were horrendous. Lots of people close to losing their tempers and after being up nearly 24 hours and it being 2-30am UK time very tired.

Well, finally at our hotel, the Savoy in south beach after two and a half hours that is the madness of Miami Airport. Worst experience of any airport we have ever used. Why an earth do they recheck passports at the exits after you have already gone through passport control ? The lines just to get out were horrendous. Lots of people close to losing their tempers and after being up nearly 24 hours and it being 2-30am UK time very tired.

Is it possible this is a domino effect from yesterday's horrific terror attacks in Paris?

Because we're required to do so. Have to make sure that the people are presenting the declaration that goes with their passport, verify if the person has been referred for further inspection (in which case, we have to make sure the correct person goes to secondary inspection), verify that they aren't presenting a fake passport or a duplicate, etc. You haven't actually entered the country until you're successfully outside the doors.

I was born in Miami a long time ago and worked there for 28 years , but it's so different there now . When we returned from South America we were exited early , being on first class , and paid for a ride on a golf cart to save the almost 1 mile walk . We waited so long for luggage at the assigned area that the general group had caught up . When we saw many people moving we asked a fellow passenger who was bilingual what was happening . His explanation was that in spite of the signage , our luggage was else where . Our luggage had been removed from the carousel into a large pile , after going round and round many times . Since none of the announcements were in English , we didn't know until we asked the passanger , where to find our luggage . :(

I happen to like Miami airport but this can happen at any USA airport or at other places around the world. We've been to LHR several times this past year and a few months ago we waited an incredible amount of time to get through.

Sorry this happened to you and so glad you are settled at the hotel.

Keith

It's just as bad to fly out of Miami. We were kept landslide ( on the floor) until 2 hours before take off and then once through the business class lounge was the worst I have been in so far! Good job there is a whole world out there to cruise to that doesn't involve Miami.

We went through MIA a week ago, and must say the check in/security checks were much faster and efficient than I had previously experienced there.

No doubt the delays yesterday were due to extra security in light of the Paris atrocity.

Wow. I am from Montreal and when we fly to USA, we actually clear customs at home.

I flew into Miami a few times for a cruise, did not realize how bad it was.

Good to know as we usually go through FLL anyway.

Will keep this in mind.

Ok ,had a decent nights sleep now in a very nice bed. To be fair there were a good few flights in last night all at the same time but the organisation, certainly in the baggage reclaim area was a complete shambles. The lines at passport control were huge to start with and people were split into nationals and none nationals which confused many with not enough staff to direct people. After long flights people were making mistakes and I saw a guy in front of us sent right back to the back of the other line after a full hour in ours. Then the carnage that was baggage reclaim. Oh my god two separate lines a mile long just to leave the building with no staff telling anyone where or why they were queuing, people were cutting into lines that went past one of their carousels in all innocence which of course upset others. This was just to take another look at the immigration form already stamped by passport control. Now I've flown into a few airports in America including Orlando, Sanford, and Tampa last year and we did not have to go through that second process which caused those further delays. Remember to many if the Europeans this was 2-30 am in the morning with a good few having children. Now I'm all for security but all the second guy did was literally take the immigration form and ask us were we were staying. I've always been asked that at passport control. Anyway rant over but for those flying in I would suggest take some water with you be prepared to be patient. On the plus side the organisation of yellow taxi's was great and we only waited 5 minutes with a flat fee of $35 down to south beach displayed by the driver. You just pressed a small button to accept. Pity the weather here is crap though.

Sometimes I wonder why we need an ESTA, would it be easier to screen passengers before they arrive. It's not a great way to start a holiday. If you never leave your country its not really an issue

Apparently you clear US immigration if you fly from Ireland. It would be an option for us, as our home airport is Manchester, so we could fly to Dublin just as easily as LHR. You would then fly into FLl.

I was born in Miami a long time ago and worked there for 28 years , but it's so different there now . When we returned from South America we were exited early , being on first class , and paid for a ride on a golf cart to save the almost 1 mile walk . We waited so long for luggage at the assigned area that the general group had caught up . When we saw many people moving we asked a fellow passenger who was bilingual what was happening . His explanation was that in spite of the signage , our luggage was else where . Our luggage had been removed from the carousel into a large pile , after going round and round many times . Since none of the announcements were in English , we didn't know until we asked the passanger , where to find our luggage . :(

Ditto on moving north from Miami (its really not part of the US anymore) I took the hint when they renamed 8th Street to Calle Ocho that english would be a second language there.

None of the announcement were in English? Amazing! Whoever made that decision should be fired.

Apparently you clear US immigration if you fly from Ireland. It would be an option for us, as our home airport is Manchester, so we could fly to Dublin just as easily as LHR. You would then fly into FLl.

I think the flight would need to to one of the US hubs and then an extra flight to FLI. The one advantage of Miami is that it is direct from LHR

FLL is only about 27 miles from MIA. It's about a 40-60 minute drive depending on time of day and construction.

When I lived in Fort Lauderdale I told all my friends and family that they had to fly into FLL if they wanted to visit. You think a smiley face should follow that comment but I was serious.

Edited by wendychloecruiser

None of the announcement were in English? Amazing! Whoever made that decision should be fired.

Not on the PA in the baggage claim area . Because of the prevalence of Spanish spoken in Miami-Dade County , people don't have to learn English . As a Firefighter- Paramedic , we had a number of people angry at us if nobody on our unit spoke Spanish . :rolleyes: