Whats they draw of Galveston????

mpdog42

Hi

Have a Question, What is the big draw of Galveston? Ill be arriving there after my Carnival journeys Cruise....I keep hearing bad stuff from CC members. Such as Extra Taxes on Your Drinks on the ship, Stupid old Tx Blue Laws, That effect you on the Ship. Trying to Extort Special Taxes on your Bottled Liquor even though you have a return ticket that day...Am I getting this wrong or do most people think these are small things.

Thanks

Mike

PS Long drive to Bush Airport for Major flights!!!!

Edited by mpdog42
mispelled words

In Galveston, you will be paying state taxes on any bottles of alcohol you disembark with after your cruise (regardless if they are duty free or not/regardless of whether you bought the alcohol onboard or in a foreign port). The Port of Galveston tax station is located at the exit area of the terminal, once you clear Customs.

As far as paying sales tax is concerned onboard for alcohol and soda, you WILL pay state tax on these beverages, if you purchase them while either still in port, or while still in waters under the jurisdiction of Texas. Once you enter international waters, the state tax no longer applies to drinks consumed onboard.

Hope this helps.

I think most of the problems are little things that get blown way out of proportion. for every person complaining, there are probably thousands that had a great time and consider them to be a minor inconvenience or no convenience at all, but never bothered to write a review.

Most of us that live here hate the new tax as much as anyone from out of state and I know a few (including myself) have written to our state legislators about it. Luckily, the tax on alcohol isn't that large. It's the people bringing in cigarettes that get hosed by the law. Also, unless it's changed in the past year since I cruised, you're on the honor system. I'm not advocating that people deliberately skip paying the tax, but many have. I'll admit walking past the tax table after my last cruise with a bottle of wine in my carry on. When asked if I had anything I just said "no" and kept walking.

As to distance to the airports. Hobby Airport isn't bad. IAH is pretty far and I always recommend avoiding it. Another thing I tell people looking to cruise from Galveston is that it is not hard to get to Galveston, but in many cases it's not cheap. A new shuttle service with reasonable prices started running recently. Hopefully they'll make a go of it and others will start up or current services will drop their prices.

Weird alcohol laws. Yeah, it's pretty screwy that the cruise lines can only serve alcohol purchased in Texas until they hit international waters, but the bar menus aren't the wasteland some people would have you believe. Most people find something to drink with no problems, and it's only the rare alcohol snob who can't get their traditional sail away glass of Wild Giraffe Banana Wine that seems to have a problem. About an hour after sail away the menus are changed and you can get anything you want.

As to the attraction to Galveston, you have people from Texas and all the surrounding states with the ability to drive to the port in just a few hours. Six million people alone in the greater Houston area are within a 90 minute drive or less. Earlier this year Galveston went from two full time and one seasonal ship to four full time ships. Next spring Carnival will be replacing Magic with the newer Breeze, and Triumph with the larger Liberty. RCI just replaced Navigator of the Seas with the larger Liberty of the Seas just a few days ago. Galveston must be doing something right.

Edited by Rudyard

I think the biggest draw for Galveston is that it is within a days drive or a very quick (and relatively cheap) flight of over 30 million people. Yes, there are some drawbacks as mentioned. But when we look at a cruise vacation, the relatively inexpensive cost of getting to Galveston for us is often a major plus. We can hop in our car and be in Galveston that afternoon all for about $45 in gas. Or, we can fly direct to Hobby Airport on Southwest, sometimes for only $49 one way with 2 free checked bags.

For us, though, we have sailed out of Galveston so many times, the limited itineraries become boring.

We just sailed out of Galveston and I doubt we will sail from there again. Though we have to fly in and we are in Ohio. Like others said, it is within a days drive for a lot of areas in Texas, even greater Dallas. For many in Texas, it is the only port that is drivable for them. Probably at least 90% of the people on our cruise were from Texas.

I would agree that the tax is annoying, but at least you know about it ahead of time and can decide if buying alcohol or tobacco is worth it or not. I think the tax was $3.75 on a liter of alcohol but $15 on a carton of cigarettes. I still saw a lot of people carrying duty free boxes off the ship. I would suspect if this same tax is included in retail alcohol in Texas that buying it on the ship or in a foreign port is still a considerable cost savings over buying it in Texas. We didn't buy any alcohol since we knew about this tax and didn't want the hassle and plus that we were flying out later that day and wouldn't have had the room.

Our main issue with Galveston is that the closest airport is 45 minutes away. Hobby is the closest but most flight options will be out of Bush which is farther, at least and hour and fifteen minutes. There are some good transportation options, but if we cruise out of Florida we are never much more than 10 minutes between airport and cruise port. Orlando is the furthest at about 30 minutes.

As also noted, the limited ports may be a concern. Jamaica, Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Roatan, Belize, Progresso and Costa Maya are the only real reachable ports on a 7 night cruise. The options out of Florida are much better since it could hit all of those and also most in the Eastern Caribbean.

Galveston can also have some port problems; fog, flooding, causeway closures can cause a lot of havoc. Though of course those are rare.

Edited by dioxide45

We live in Oklahoma and Galveston is our homeport. It's a 9 hour drive from Tulsa. We also drive to NOLA but it's a 10+ hour drive.

The selection of alcohol is limited on embarkation and yes you do pay taxes but that's the same even when you are in any US homeport until you set sail.

The tax on bringing back alcohol/tobacco is a hassle, but the bigger hassle is having to wait until debarkation day to go pick up your purchases. That's not a Texas thing though, that happens everywhere.

We came back through Galveston yesterday, the deal with paying the tax took about 1 minute to pay the tax and get the stamps. They didn't open the box and said to just put the stamps on the bottles when we got home.

We waited far longer for a porter than we did to pay the tax.

Some have said it already, but for Galveston it's location, friendliness of people, great ships, easy parking and it's less than an hour away. OK, for me it is.

In 32 cruises out of 5 departure ports Galveston has it down smooth. Drop the bags curbside, leave my family and park the car, return on the shuttle. We are platinum, but it not I'd scoop up FTTF and be aboard in under 30 min from time of arrival.

Fog. Really? In the past 5 years an average of 8 sailings were delayed on an annual basis. If you were on one or any of those it's the pits, but it does happen.

Flooding, causeway closure? When did this happen. Since 1983 we've had one major hurricane inflict damage. Minor street flooding does happen, and even then there are two other ways besides Harborside drive to enter the terminal area.

Bus and cab ride. You got me. It's a long haul from IAH to the terminal. Plan your route if you are driving. I can get from Galveston to the airport or the inverse in under two hours 99% of the time. Hobby makes life so much more simple.

Alcohol. The law Texas now enforces is decades old. Liquor stores are closed on Sunday. We aren't the only state to do so. Beer and wine can be purchased 7 days a week. Alcohol sold in Texas must have a tax or duty paid on it. When we step aboard one of the funnel fleet the bars are rocking even when tied to the dock. Carnival does a switch over as soon as the ships bow is wet with international water.

Finally, something must be working. Carnival is big on Galveston, they loaned money to refurbish the terminals, stepped up again big time after Ike and want a top notch product here to serve a willing audience.

Edited by BallFour4

We cruised from Galveston once because we were with a group of about 100 and this is where they wanted to depart from. I will not cruise from Galveston again unless it is the same scenario. Getting from the airport to the pier is too much of a giant PITA.

The law is not new. They have collected the taxes at the land border crossings from Mexico for years. They only started collecting it at the sea ports last year.

The cruise lines could offer a wider selection of beverages in port, but choose to buy a limited amount of liquor, on which the TX tax has been paid. Other lines out of Houston and Galveston offer more options than Carnival.

They are now putting the Texas Liquor form in the cabins along with the departure information so that you can have it filled out and ready to turn in at the TABC table, which is just after you clear US Immigration and Customs.

We just came through the port on Nov 7 and debarkation from the Freedom was a breeze. We put our luggage out the night before, but being Diamond with #1 luggage tags, we were allowed off midway through self assist. We grabbed a porter and got in the Passport line and went straight to the front of one of the lines for US Immigration. The line for those with birth certificates was very long. The ICE officer glanced at our passports, asked if we had any tobacco or cigarettes and then waved us through. The EZ Cruise shuttle was ready to go and we were quickly in our car and on our way. We live 60 miles from Galveston and were in the house by 9:45am.

In Galveston, you will be paying state taxes on any bottles of alcohol you disembark with after your cruise (regardless if they are duty free or not/regardless of whether you bought the alcohol onboard or in a foreign port). The Port of Galveston tax station is located at the exit area of the terminal, once you clear Customs.

As far as paying sales tax is concerned onboard for alcohol and soda, you WILL pay state tax on these beverages, if you purchase them while either still in port, or while still in waters under the jurisdiction of Texas. Once you enter international waters, the state tax no longer applies to drinks consumed onboard.

Hope this helps.

It's the same story in California except you don't pay the tax for alcohol you purchased on board. However, if you venture to San Francisco and you dine in a restaurant, you are taxed for such things as paying for the waiters and waitresses health care. There's other taxes tacked on to that as well. We circle those added on things and deduct it from the waiters tip. We don't enjoy doing that any more than they enjoy seeing us taxed to death.

Hi

Have a Question, What is the big draw of Galveston? Ill be arriving there after my Carnival journeys Cruise....I keep hearing bad stuff from CC members. Such as Extra Taxes on Your Drinks on the ship, Stupid old Tx Blue Laws, That effect you on the Ship. Trying to Extort Special Taxes on your Bottled Liquor even though you have a return ticket that day...Am I getting this wrong or do most people think these are small things.

Thanks

Mike

The draw of Galveston is that it is a port that can handle cruise ships within driving distance of millions of people.

There is so much Capacity to Cozumel from Texas, Carnival extended an extra pier. Aren't y'all starting to get tired of that port?

I don't really get it that much either.

I'm all for Galveston getting Valor instead btw.. Bring Liberty back to Florida.

That said.. I will see you all next time I try to do a Western :cool:

Edited by seannyice81

There is so much Capacity to Cozumel from Texas, Carnival extended an extra pier. Aren't y'all starting to get tired of that port?

I don't really get it that much either.

I'm all for Galveston getting Valor instead btw.. Bring Liberty back to Florida.

That said.. I will see you all next time I try to do a Western :cool:

Do not seem to get tired, been to Panchos Backyard 16 times, keep having fun. 75 years old, been to Dallas hundreds of times, keep going. Do what you enjoy, did 12 day Triumph to Columbia last March, 21 day B 2 B triumph San Juan in Jan,2016 both out of Galveston. Life is GOOD when you can still cruise close to home.

Edited by texast518

It's the same story in California except you don't pay the tax for alcohol you purchased on board. However, if you venture to San Francisco and you dine in a restaurant, you are taxed for such things as paying for the waiters and waitresses health care. There's other taxes tacked on to that as well. We circle those added on things and deduct it from the waiters tip. We don't enjoy doing that any more than they enjoy seeing us taxed to death.

So you are punishing the servers :confused:

BTW its not in all SF restaurants. The owners make the choice to add that on

Edited by jonbgd

Concerning the port of Galveston

It Is a PITA if you arnt driving to it. I chose not to sail out of it for years

It was cheaper and easier to fly to MIA/FLL from SFO. A lot more choices as well. But mostly use to drive to LAX/SAN for cruises

Now that Im in HOU half of the year.

We look at cruises from there and Ill gladly hop on a last minute cruise from Galveston as our house is about 1 1/4 hr from the Island.

Edited by jonbgd

The ability to drive to the port is a big plus for us. Its a five hour drive for us and maybe $60 in gas now. Plus a night in a hotel (Springhill suites on Boradway $75) and pier side parking (Galveston Park N Cruise $46). Compared to flying to Miami ($700ish) plus the transfer ($60ish) to the port.

I like the fact that when we're done we walk across the street, get into the car and leave, no more waiting on shuttles, waiting at the airport, getting probed by TSA, etc.

Cruises for us are more about maximizing our vacation dollars and keeping costs reasonable. I want to spend more money on booze on the ship than I do with American Airlines to get there.

We sailed out of Galveston once, but I doubt we'll do it again unless we move within driving distance when we retire. It's too difficult flying in from the East Coast. We docked late because of fog and missed our flight - even though we booked the last flight possible out of HOU, 3:20 in the afternoon:confused:. It's much easier to fly to MIA or FLL or drive to NYC or Baltimore for us. Aside from the travel, though, our Galveston cruise was a great cruise!

Hi

Thanks

Mike

For us, it's the closest port to our home which is near Dallas. We have three choices (since we prefer not to fly)--Houston, Galveston and (if we feel like driving a little farther), New Orleans.

Absolutely nothing.

Seventeen million passengers in fifteen years all had the "nothing" experience.

"In 2014, Port of Galveston embarked approximately 640,000 passengers due to the largest-ever capacity commitment by the cruise industry to Texas. These deployments are expected to carry over 824,000 passengers in 2015, an increase of 28% more than last year. "

Source:http://www.portofgalveston.com/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=36

Edited by BallFour4

If you don't want to pay the taxes their why go and stiff the servers? You don't like to pay the taxes in that city but you don't mind enjoying the best parts of that city. Interesting:confused:

<<snip>> We circle those added on things and deduct it from the waiters tip. We don't enjoy doing that any more than they enjoy seeing us taxed to death.

Not to derail the thread, but it is all over the place now...

Way to really "stick" to the person who is the culprit. :rolleyes: WOW.

If you didn't enjoy doing it, why do it at all? Is that meager amount REALLY breaking you? If so, why are you dining out?

:rolleyes: