Ms Oosterdam Almost Live Nov 16-27

Crew News

This is the first installment of my normal "live" report from each cruise. Unlike other cruises and to give better information, I am armed with an infrared thermometer for A/C and food temp issues, tape measure, cameras, scanner, a discriminating palate (no escargot), and an eye tuned to ship's maintenance issues.

I will find all of the relevant names for the staff and entertainment, report rumors of changes, scan every menu, critic the food, and do my best to describe ship's activities.

Feel free to ask questions and I will find the answers.

Weather here in Fort Lauderdale is heavy overcast and raining. Long range forecasts predict rain in several of our ports, as well.

More later after boarding.

Fair winds and following seas! We will be boarding the Oosterdam on 11/27 so I will be reading your posts with great enthusiasm. (Can you tell that I was smiling as I typed that?) Have a great time and remember to save some champagne for your Cruise Critic friends who will be following you!

Edited by polySeraph

This is the first installment of my normal "live" report from each cruise. Unlike other cruises and to give better information, I am armed with an infrared thermometer for A/C and food temp issues, tape measure, cameras, scanner, a discriminating palate (no escargot), and an eye tuned to ship's maintenance issues.

Too funny:D Have a great trip.

Seriously considering booking a cruise on Oosterdam so very interested in your reports. We've prefered the buffet and specialty restaurants over the MDR on all of our other cruises (Princess/Royal) so very interested in any information you can provide on specialty dining, the lido, or room service.

The HAL Terminal was open when we arrived at 10:10 AM on Nov 16th, Check-in was quick since our pictures were on file from May 2015. We learned the more than 200 in-transit passengers were required to leave the ship and reboard. As we entered the VIP Lounge near the gangway, we saw the last in-transits reboarding.

We began boarding at exactly 11:30 AM BEFORE the shi's photographers were even ready to slow the process. With a lot of OBC to spend, I was able to book all of my desired shore excursions through the Neptune Lounge Concierge (Lawrence and Krista) by 11:45 AM.

Reviewing the MDR menu for Embarkation Day, I was surprised that prime rib was not there.

I confirmed with a manager that the Mariner Embarkation Day Lunch is no more as the Deck 2 Vista Dining Room was open to all until 1:30 PM. Changing the dates of our two free PG and Canaletto dinners was easy.

The Safety Dril was quick with everyone assigned to our lifeboat present. A shocking event indeed. Six others joined us on our large verandah for the sailaway and endured the wet cushions from an earlier shower. We pulled away from the dock at precisely 4:00 PM.

Dinner at the PG was sparsely attended for those of us choosing to eat early. The King Salmon was quite delicious and the amuze scallop was incredible.

The Neptune Suites Reception in the Neptune Lounge was attended by four waiters serving appetizers with champagne and no other members of the crew. This change is truly sad to experience as it turned out to be just a free glass of champagne and a chat with a few fellow Neptune Suite guests.

My collection of menus from both the PG and Canaletto is completed. The Canaletto has added lasagna but it has not found its way to the menu. It must be noted that the rumored changes to an All-American breakfast to the Room Service Breakfast choices have yet to be implemented.

Internet plans do not include unlimited use but cap at 1000 minutes for $250. Speed is nearly as slow as the Noordam last May in Alaska. To paste this took nearly 10 minutes even though there is a repeater right above my head. I will search for better speed around the ship tomorrow.

From my initial viewings, ship maintenance appears top notch.

More tomorrow.

While it's elimination would not be an earth shattering change would you report on the "custom made sandwich" situation in the Lido please? Does it still exist or have they eliminated it completely?

Thanks in advance. :D

Custom-made is still available in addition to the pre-made sandwiches her on the Oosterdam.

After completing unpacking last night, I was able to put my infrared thermometer to work this morning. A/C output was 58 degrees at the ceiling vent. Breakfast arrived at exactly 7:00 AM and provided the following temperatures: Eggs over easy - 109 degrees, hash browns - 132 degrees, coffee - 135 degrees, and orange juice - 60 degrees. Minibar temp was 47 degrees.

Of note from the Safety Drill was that those who had problems with standing were pointed to the Oean Bar for the drill. Scooters had lots of issues getting over the hump between the kitchen exit to the Promenade deck for the aft lifeboats. Joanie recommends scooters take the midship exit to the Promenade Deck and cross the threshhold at a slight angle to keep from becoming high-centered.

Popcorn, although not on the Room Service menu, is available 24/7 in the small bags (about two handfuls). Recommend ordering several if you are a serious popcorn afficienado.

Informal Meet @ Greet was well attended.

More later.