Which cabin to choose? Eurodam Verandah

ocjames

Good Morning all!

I am very excited about taking my first cruise ever stopping around Italy in April 2016. I have done some extensive searching around the web and this great site (cruisecritic).

The ship is the Eurodam and my travel agent has come back with the below options on cabin selection. My first impulse was to go for deck 6 as I have heard its a quiet deck and not so high but a few people have pointed out the 603x cabins are close to the front of the ship. As it will be our first cruise I'm leaning towards being cautious and getting as smooth a ride as possible. So would deck 6 up front or deck 8 midships be a better selection? Any input or tips you can pass along would be greatly appreciated!

I would stay away from the deck 8 cabin. It looks to be under the area of seating around the lido pool. I have read where people say they hear the deck hands moving chairs around in the early hours as they wash the deck and set things up for the day.

When we book cabins we always try to book a cabin that is sandwiched in between other decks of passenger cabins.

For what its worth, we have had several cabins at the very front of the ship and not had any issues with too much motion.

I keep saying I'm not going to tell anyone else about how much we love the balconies on these cabin's.

The balconies are directly next to the lifeboat's. Meaning you do have a lifeboat either directly behind your balcony or directly ahead. However, that makes your balcony very deep. A bit of shade from the balcony overhang above. However, mostly sun - we literally booked the same exact cabin on the Eurodam we had last year we enjoyed it so much.

We had a smooth ride even though we were in very high sea's - some of the worst I've seen in 44 cruises. People are able to look down on your cabin so if privacy is an issue you wouldn't like this cabin.

if you take a look at the Eurodam's deck plan's you will see them on the bump out's. We also had no problem's with noise from above or below. They are a Cat. VA when you looking at the pricing Mid ship. There are only 4 of them on Deck 4.

Just my 2 cent's worth ;)

Edited by hugger

We have had 4043 a couple of times - it is closer to the front but we never felt lots of movement (and the balconies are deeper than usual). We also liked 4166 which had a double wide balcony. I don't know if these are available options for your cruise.

Good Morning all!

I am very excited about taking my first cruise ever stopping around Italy in April 2016. I have done some extensive searching around the web and this great site (cruisecritic).

The ship is the Eurodam and my travel agent has come back with the below options on cabin selection. My first impulse was to go for deck 6 as I have heard its a quiet deck and not so high but a few people have pointed out the 603x cabins are close to the front of the ship. As it will be our first cruise I'm leaning towards being cautious and getting as smooth a ride as possible. So would deck 6 up front or deck 8 midships be a better selection? Any input or tips you can pass along would be greatly appreciated!

We were on deck 8 this past April but in a verandah cabin right next to the mid ship elevators. We did not hear any noise from above but I do think it might be a problem based on where these are located on deck 8.

For our upcoming Eurodam cruise we are in 5095 - again next to the elevators. I do agree that you should try to stay between 2 decks that are nothing but cabins if you can arrange it.

BTW - if you're doing the 24 day Magic of the Med cruise it is simply spectacular. If you are looking to put together a private tour in Istanbul feel free to email me at helen647@aol.com. We had, hands down, the best tour guide ever!

Helen

Good Morning all!

We just gave up a cabin on deck 7 for a 14 nighter on Yesterday's departure..Going to rebook tomorrow for just 7 days on next Sunday's departure.. I'm hoping to get our cabin back as it was close to the AFT elevators...Does anyone know how those cabins on deck 7 are?

I just got off of the Eurodam, also on deck 6. Your first three choices look great, but not the last because it is adjacent to an angled balcony, not allowing you so much privacy. In the first three staterooms there are no lifeboats below you, thus you have a great view straight down to the water. The "sucked in" part of the ship includes views of the tops of lifeboats.

Have a great cruise!

I misread your message and thought the first three staterooms were on deck 6. So, an amendment here. Staterooms on deck 8 I think would be fine because they are under the cabanas on the deck above, so (I assume) would not be affected by lido noises and extra noises of scraping chairs. Also far enough above lifeboats to not obscure view down the side of the ship.

Again, I hope you have a great cruise.

Staterooms on deck 8 I think would be fine because they are under the cabanas on the deck above, so (I assume) would not be affected by lido noises and extra noises of scraping chairs.
On the Eurodam the cabanas are on the port (even) side.

Just got off the Edam. Just FYI, cabin 7018 (quite far forward) is small - I don't know at which point they start to get larger. We felt cramped, but it has a Plexiglas veranda, which was my main criteria. People next to us smoked but it was noticeable only 3-4 times - that's something that's just the luck of the draw - we were relatively lucky.

I keep saying I'm not going to tell anyone else about how much we love the balconies on these cabin's.

The balconies are directly next to the lifeboat's. Meaning you do have a lifeboat either directly behind your balcony or directly ahead. However, that makes your balcony very deep. A bit of shade from the balcony overhang above. However, mostly sun - we literally booked the same exact cabin on the Eurodam we had last year we enjoyed it so much.

We had a smooth ride even though we were in very high sea's - some of the worst I've seen in 44 cruises. People are able to look down on your cabin so if privacy is an issue you wouldn't like this cabin.

if you take a look at the Eurodam's deck plan's you will see them on the bump out's. We also had no problem's with noise from above or below. They are a Cat. VA when you looking at the pricing Mid ship. There are only 4 of them on Deck 4.

Just my 2 cent's worth ;)

I believe those VA cabins on Deck 4 that you are referring to are handicapped cabins. They are not available for booking unless one is handicapped. Even if they were, I wouldn't feel right taking one.

You can choose between them by who wants to be nearer the bathroom vs nearer the balcony. When you look at the deckplan, the doors are not centered (and in real life they are not centered!) -- the FOOT of the bed will be toward the side the door opens to. That is, when you walk in the door, you will walk more or less straight past the foot of the bed toward the balcony.

Search the web for some pics if I'm confusing you!

We just got off the Eurodam Yesterday. I loved it. In regards to noise, we were in cabin 8094, only heard noise once, It was 630 am, and they were doing something upstairs. I picked up the phone and called information, and within five minutes it stopped, and also got an apology phone call afterwards. I do not think there is nothing wrong with deck 8, it is closer to walk to the lido deck, because you are only a floor down. You can not go wrong on this cruise, this is the best cruise so far hands down.

Re: 6037 and 6039

During our Baltic and Viking Passage cruise on the Eurodam in 2013, we had a veranda cabin on Deck 5 in the vicinity of 6037, 6039. We had lots of rain which was not surprising given the area we were cruising. Our veranda was flooded more days than not during the cruise. Flooded, meaning one shoes would get very wet when stepping out onto the veranda. (When the "ocean was in motion", we had mini-waves on our veranda.) After complaining to the Front Office, we received a plate of Chocolate covered strawberries and apologizes. And, our Cabin Steward used a hose, at least once, to suction the water off the veranda into the cabin's toilet. The Cabin Steward blamed the issue on a poor design: the deck drains in that area were too far apart. (I did not see one whatsoever.)

Maybe Deck 6 in that area of the Eurodam does not have that problem.

Edited by rkacruiser

I think I remember seeing that there is someplace that will tell me the depth of the balcony for each verandah cabin. We were just on the Eurodam in 5095 next to the outside elevators (which we like) but the balcony was just above the lifeboat and was very small.

We are booked on the Zuiderdam in cabin 6091 and I would love to check it. Does anyone know where I can find this info?

Thanks,

Helen