ID at ports

TAYLORCPA

What, if any, identification do I need to take off the ship at a port? Passports? Drivers license? Ship card only?

Thanks!

Usually ship card and photo ID. Many prefer to leave their passports in the cabin safe but if you took it ashore it would certainly qualify as a photo ID.

There will always be an announcement or two and it should be in the Daily as to what you need to take ashore. It's usually picture ID and key card. Sometimes you will need a passport on excursions, depending on where you are going (for example an Alaskan excursion if you cross the Canadian border). So check your excursion tickets or ask the operator if doing it on your own, check the daily and listen to announcements. Generally the key card and driver's license is sufficient to get through any port gate to the ship and usually just the ship card is enough. But definitely plan on taking DL and ship key card.

Also, if there is any chance you will miss the ship, you may need your passport to get to the next port on your own....just saying.....

Edited by drvalo

What, if any, identification do I need to take off the ship at a port? Passports? Drivers license? Ship card only?

Thanks!

Just back on Sunday from Breakaway and when going through Bahamian security back to ship, they were asking for our passports and ship ID.

I don't see the point of bringing a passport if you aren't going to take it off the ship? I bring the passports just in case something happens while in port. That is the only reason any closed loop US sailings would need a passport so if you aren't going to bring with you, leave it at home.

I don't see the point of bringing a passport if you aren't going to take it off the ship? I bring the passports just in case something happens while in port. That is the only reason any closed loop US sailings would need a passport so if you aren't going to bring with you, leave it at home.

Honestly, usually I don't take it unless I know I need it. There is a greater chance if it being stolen while in port than me needing it, as I rule. Rather than take the actual passport when you don't need to, some people take a photocopy of it. Then if something happens you have the information.

I take it on the ship to get on the ship and off the ship in the U.S. and if you stop at a U.S. port after an international one, you will need to show your I.D. on board to border control. If it got stolen in a port getting off the ship that will be more difficult...although staying on the ship would not be so bad of a punishment. :)

Edited by drvalo

I always take my ship ID and my passport when I go off the ship.

Same. While you can often get away with a DL or something like that (Nexus Card etc), you never know if a particular country is having a crack down on ID, and if they are, and I am there with just my DL and ship card, it could end up being an ordeal. Passports are the gold standard in travel documents.

MOST ports only require your ship card and drivers licence (government issued ID). Don't carry your passport unless required.

Listen for requirements at each port.

Review your shore excursion for special instructions. (For example, there are several tours in Alaska that cross the Canadian border that require you to do a passport check with the Royal Mounted Police and the US Customs and Boarder Patrol as you pass in each direction).

We are from New Zealand and have two passports, NZ & UK, and usually carry both when we travel. In Europe we will carry our UK Passport off the boat and leave the NZ one in the safe. In most of the rest of the world we carry the NZ one and leave the UK one in the safe.

We also carry our ship card at all times on or off the ship.

If anything were to happen while we were off the ship, or if we missed the ship, then our driving licence and/or ship card would be little real use.

For the same reason we carry a copy of our medical/travel insurance whenever we leave the ship.

I would advise those who need an ESTA to carry a physical copy of it in your carry on luggage in case you need it when initially checking in. We were nearly caught out with that!!

Mike

Just back on Sunday from Breakaway and when going through Bahamian security back to ship, they were asking for our passports and ship ID.

Yup they asked for my ID and ship ID in September when I was in Nassau

If you don't feel comfortable bringing your id off the ship you could at least bring a copy of the passport this way it does not hurt anything if it gets lost or wet and you have at least the copy if it was needed

I don't see the point of bringing a passport if you aren't going to take it off the ship?

We always bring our passports even if we don't carry them off the ship on a normal port day.

In the event of a medical or family emergency that forces us to depart the ship it's going to be a lot easier & faster to get home with a passport already in hand than having to have a replacement issued.

During our last cruise, an ambulance met the ship upon docking at two of the three ports. Stuff happens.

I'm sure there is a very active black market for stolen passports. What better way to lose it or have it stolen than to take it on an excursion or the beach. My passport is in my safe in the cabin.

Closed loop cruises do not require a passport to board, so a Bahamian port guard may ask for my ship card and ID, but he can't insist that I present a passport. If they did that, half the ship would be unable to reboard, and I think we'd have heard about that here.

In the event that you are unable to reboard due to some emergency, you will likely have family or friends who can retrieve your passport. If not, and you are able, you can call the ship or the Port Agent to inform them. Those phone numbers are listed on the Freestyle Dailies and I always take those numbers with me. The ship will see to it that the contents of your safe are given to the Port Agent for safe keeping if the ship must leave without you. The ship knows who has not reboarded. From what I read here, this procedure likely happens even if they do not hear from someone.

Since passports aren't required for closed loop cruises that have Bahamas as a port, how could they require a passport to get back on the ship???

I cannot see us going back to the Bahamas so it doesn't worry us. However I would suggest that someone gets the official word from the Bahamas and puts it all over this website.

The other thing would be to approach NCL for them to do it. :rolleyes:

Mike

Scan your passport page reduced to a credit card size. Then you laminate it. Leave your original in your safe. This has worked for me in all cruises especially when on a ship that took my passport for an entire 30 day cruise. It's all you need to get another quickly if you miss the ship.

This works well in airports also.

Also it pays to scan your passport into your computer at home. You can access it if needed.

Since passports aren't required for closed loop cruises that have Bahamas as a port, how could they require a passport to get back on the ship???

Bahamas is a sovereign territory. It can make any demands it wants with respect to visitor id.

Several times I have observed Nassau port officials asking for passport and ship card. I vividly recall one official berating someone in front of me because they presented a driver's license. Still let the person proceed, but only after explaining to them in some detail that the Bahamas was a country and visitors needed to produce passports when asked.

Scan your passport page reduced to a credit card size. Then you laminate it. Leave your original in your safe. This has worked for me in all cruises especially when on a ship that took my passport for an entire 30 day cruise. It's all you need to get another quickly if you miss the ship.

This works well in airports also.

Also it pays to scan your passport into your computer at home. You can access it if needed.

I would worry about an official deciding I was trying to use a forged document.

This has worked for me in all cruises especially when on for a ship that took my passport an entire 30 day cruise.

Please tell us the cruise line that did that. I will make sure that I don't use them.

No one has the right to hold a person's passport without full legal authority; e.g. police or immigration authorities.

Mike

I would worry about an official deciding I was trying to use a forged document.

They don't. What they want is picture ID and your passport along with your ship card is all you need.

If a ship takes your passport on certain cruises you don't have it with you at all.

Anyone can create a drivers license easier than a passport.

Please tell us the cruise line that did that. I will make sure that I don't use them.

No one has the right to hold a person's passport without full legal authority; e.g. police or immigration authorities.

Mike

NCL took our passports for South America.

Also China takes your passport.

Believe me that it's more important to take a small credit card sized laminated copy on hand unless you're renting a car.