Travel Agent Refusing to Transfer Booking

drhall

I contacted the agent who has our booking to inquire how to move this booking to another agency that is offering a more favorable option for us, and he basically bashed the other agency's offer and flatly said that we cannot transfer this booking.

A travel agent will not transfer a booking to another travel agency, and they are under no obligation to do so, just because you found a better offer. They are competing businesses. The agent owns the booking.

It can be transferred back to Royal Caribbean, and it sounds like you are taking the steps to have that done.

However, you may be able to call C&A and tell them that you had no idea that the new booking you made onboard was going to the current travel agent. They may be able to override the rules and take the booking away from the agent.

That happened to me TWICE. The first time I did not know that the booking would go to the TA. The second time, I specifically asked that the booking NOT go to the TA, and put it in writing. It still went to the TA. C&A took the booking away from the agent on the second occasion, and I seem to recall on the first as well. Give it a shot, and explain that you were unaware the booking would automatically go to the TA.

RCI informed me that I will need to write and fax a letter to their Guest Sales & Service Administration department requesting that I want my agent to release the booking--but that the agent is refusing to comply to my request......

I sent the fax to RCI five minutes ago, so we will see what happens from here. Thanks for pointing me in that direction!

I will report back.

I have called RCI and been given three fax numbers, none of which are working.

305-539-6014

305-603-2906

305-603-0036

Trying to be friendly through this process, but this is a headache so far.

305-539-6014

305-603-2906

305-603-0036

Maybe it's been recently disconnected, but I had the 0036 number work for me a couple of months ago.

305-539-6014

305-603-2906

305-603-0036

I would try a call to Resolutions, at least they could provide the correct fax number- and perhaps even get this resolved for you! I believe this is the direct number to Resolutions (800) 205-9812. Good luck!

I see no reason that OP should lose the benefits of the earlier booking just to satisfy the TA. I also see no reason to do business with a TA who would pull such a stunt. Obviously, the TA is just being an ass trying to retain the original booking. Any TA with any sense of customer service would not act in this manner. Time to change TA.

I completely agree. If your agent is willing to try to charge you a fee to change a booking that he/she didn't even make for you in the first place- that's just underhanded and foolish. Why would you want to continue doing business with someone who is blatantly ripping you off?

If you aren't happy with the TA, they should not insist on keeping your business. You are only going to be an unhappy customer who disparages his/her business. They should just let you go.

I completely agree. If your agent is willing to try to charge you a fee to change a booking that he/she didn't even make for you in the first place- that's just underhanded and foolish. Why would you want to continue doing business with someone who is blatantly ripping you off?

If you aren't happy with the TA, they should not insist on keeping your business. You are only going to be an unhappy customer who disparages his/her business. They should just let you go.

Why should the TA care what the OP thinks? The OP will never use the TA again, and the TA will lose money on the transfer. So. why should the TA transfer without some compensation?

Why should the TA care what the OP thinks? The OP will never use the TA again, and the TA will lose money on the transfer. So. why should the TA transfer without some compensation?

The TA isn't losing money they haven't been paid. Did zero work and shouldn't expect to keep the booking.

Why should the TA care what the OP thinks? Because an unhappy customer will not say kind things about the agency. The OP will never use the TA again, and the TA will lose money on the transfer. The TA will not lose any money except the commission that shouldn't belong to the agency anyway since the booking was a mistake. So. why should the TA transfer without some compensation? Because it's the right and ethical thing to do.
Reply in red. Edited by FLACRUISER99

A travel agent will not transfer a booking to another travel agency, and they are under no obligation to do so, just because you found a better offer. They are competing businesses. The agent owns the booking.

It can be transferred back to Royal Caribbean, and it sounds like you are taking the steps to have that done.

It will interesting to see how this plays out, so far its a Paul Harvey story with no one knowing the difference in what the TA's are offering. I know that rci will yank a booking from a Ta if they are not playing by the rules and if a form is produced where the person clearly indicated on the form that the previous Ta was not to get the booking, of course everyone that books this way would have that copy! Wonder if they will yank a booking just so someone can get more obc,etc. Open a large can of worms

And since you would have a copy of your nc booking you could clearly see that it says this booking will be given to the last Ta unless you say different so everyone that reads what they sign would know.

Edited by setsail

Why should the TA be compensated for doing nothing?

Edited by Ocean Boy

Presumably, the TA did some work upfront to qualify the client and bring them to the cruise on which they booked the return cruise. In addition, it takes some work to do the transfer- should the TA be willing to do that for free?
If you are talking about the cruise that the op made the booking on, they already were pd commission for it

I don't think faxing a release is much if any work

Edited by SeaUs

Even if it's 15 minutes worth of work, why would anyone be willing to do that for free for a person who will no longer be a client?

Because it's bad business to not give refunds/cancellations to customers with legitimate reasons, even if you can't be legally forced to. People in customer service businesses do all kinds of things in the name of customer good will, even if they aren't directly profiting from it or being forced to do it. It's called good customer service, and it's good for business in the long run, even if it doesn't help you with any one individual client.

Edited by BamaGuy44

Even if it's 15 minutes worth of work, why would anyone be willing to do that for free for a person who will no longer be a client?

first of all, they were given the booking in error. Second, it doesn't take 15 minutes to write a name and booking number on a piece of paper and fax it. Real scum TA if they drag their feet.

I've had this exact thing happen.

Years ago I made a future cruise deposit and the booking was given to the current agent on record.

When I got home the TA emailed me letting me know they had a new booking for me. I emailed him back saying that the booking was supposed to be with the cruiseline. Next day I got an email confirming they had released the booking back to Royal Caribbean

If you are talking about the cruise that the op made the booking on, they already were pd commission for it

I don't think faxing a release is much if any work

Of course. I didn't say they did

Right they were paid commission on the cruise they were on.

Sorry for the misunderstanding - was referring to the new cruise.

TA should do the right thing and release the cruse.

Not sure if OP is unhappy with original TA or "shopping" for better freebies.

I happen to like clients that are loyal. Possibly TA could match what OP is looking for and problem solved.

However, in long run - booking should be released.

Maybe there are enough people reading this thread that will learn to read their onboard booking form and about automatic travel agent assignments. And they will also learn that there is an additional form that needs to be completed onboard...if you don't want the booking assigned to your current travel agent.

I am not a travel agent.

You decide to change physicians. Even of it is only 15 minutes of work plus copying and postage expenses should he be willing to transfer your records to your new physican for free since you will no longer be a patient of his?

Maybe there are enough people reading this thread that will learn to read their onboard booking form and about automatic travel agent assignments. And they will also learn that there is an additional form that needs to be completed onboard...if you don't want the booking assigned to your current travel agent.

I am not a travel agent.

Exactly correct !

Be aware.

The Onboard Booking Form which has the selection to use the TA that booked the current cruise , or not , is signed by the cruiser .

Failure to read the form before signing , is the cause of this problem .

Cruise line reps onboard sometimes fail to point that out.

I am a former TA

Edited by MCC retired

Exactly correct !

Be aware.

The Onboard Booking Form which has the selection to use the TA that booked the current cruise , or not , is signed by the cruiser .

Failure to read the form before signing , is the cause of this problem .

I am a former TA

It is also in your cruise docs, a page dedicated to the NC. It gives the benefits one of which it will be assigned to your travel pro on record