Help! 11 day Journey cruise dilemma!

INCHARGE

I am SO glad I'm a guy and don't have these packing concerns.

I have a 21 day B2B on the Glory coming up in Jan - Feb and plan to pack ALL the clothes I need in a 21" carry on piece of luggage. It's usually between 25 and 30 lbs total.

A small shoulder bag will hold my travel docs, electronics, binoculars and meds.

That's all folks!

I always bring some Woolite with me so that I can wash my own underthings in the sink. I put a small amount of Woolite in a small squeeze bottle that you buy from the travel size section at the grocery store, and transport it in the same baggie that my shampoo & conditioner are in. A little bit of Woolite goes a long way! Once I've washed and rinsed several items (usually right before bed), I hang them on the clothesline in the shower overnight. They are almost always dry by morning.

Yikes, hard for me to think about taking all those clothes. :)

I never bother with formal nights.

My trips are always long, usually at least 4 weeks at a time, and I have 1 bag for 2 people. And not one of those jumbo bags either. Always under 50 lbs. Relying on laundry greatly cuts down on bulk.

My spouse & I did a week in NOLA followed by a two week B2B on the Dream with each of us using a carry-on and backpack. I can't imagine the NEED to take 50+ pounds of clothes.

We're doing an 11 day Journeys cruise in Jan and again will do so with only carry-ons.

Good luck with your packing!

When we cruise I used to do my laundry the day before we returned; so we had all clean clothes and just have to unpack when we got home.

Now I have them wash my clothes and never had a problem (one time there was a spot on the clothes and they told me... I knew already)

I manage to roll the dirty laundry really tight... they alternate the way I pack them in the paper bag... I manage to stuff the bag so tight. In between spaces I put the undies, socks and etc..

When they return my bag I usually get 3 bags back. Wash, dry and folded very neatly too.

Enjoy your cruise.... pack your clothes.. take half out and then half again

Sundresses don't wt much, bathing suits and cover up in the day time.

Black and white goes with most.

Again, thank You all for the help. It means a lot that so many people offered me help.

There are some things I can not wear that would be lightweight. Bathing suits, shorts, tanks and cover ups are not heavy at all, but I'm not lucky enough to be able to wear them. I want to go to the pool and beach so bad, but there are reasons why I can't.

For packing light (or just lighter) is a mindset.

Mix and match and plan on doing some washing. Plan on rewearing clothes. Febreeze is your friend.

Scarves are lighter than jewelry.

Have as many of your toiletries in smaller containers as possible. Do you need 8oz of shampoo when 3oz is enough?

Meds are placed into smaller containers when possible. The pharmacy can provide secondary bottles or labels. OTC blister packs are convenient.

Edited by SadieN

For Elegant or Formal nights, I take a pair of black silky palazzo pants (wide leg & flowing) with 3 different fancy tops.

We now do only B2B cruises so I have 14 days total. I wear my capris a couple of times & do a load of laundry th beginning of the 2nd week - capri, socks, nightgown. I wear my sleevless "silky-like" tops once during the 1st week & once during the 2nd week. I don't send my tops to the laundry. Fortunately, I don't perspire so my tops don't feel dirty the 2nd time I wear them.

Formal night for my wife is BIGGER ear rings.

Just got back from a 5 day and 8 day back to back plus 2 extra days for nascar race. Wash half way through the trip it was 3 $ a load to wash and 3 to dry. Also do curb side check in and have a 10$ bill in your hand and make sure the sky cap sees it. put the heavier stuff in carry on. And there is a old single guys trick. After a few days you have 3 piles of clothes. One is absolutely clean one is absolutely dirty and needs to be washed and the thrid pile is sotra in between. Been worn but could be worn again.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just got back from a 5 day and 8 day back to back plus 2 extra days for nascar race. Wash half way through the trip it was 3 $ a load to wash and 3 to dry. Also do curb side check in and have a 10$ bill in your hand and make sure the sky cap sees it. put the heavier stuff in carry on. And there is a old single guys trick. After a few days you have 3 piles of clothes. One is absolutely clean one is absolutely dirty and needs to be washed and the thrid pile is sotra in between. Been worn but could be worn again.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will have that $10 ready, just in case. :D

Regardless of how long we're gone we never pack more than 4 days worth of clothes(as long as laundry is available of course).

The ship has laundry, unpack about half your stuff and throw in 4 soap pods and dryer sheets.

Also we try to pack things that can easily mix and match-lots of black and other neutral colors.

Finally take a look at your non-clothing items. Are you taking a huge bottle of shampoo or other toiletries? Get travel sized items. Be sure everything you are taking you really need. The cabin has a hairdryer for example, so you don't need that.

Problem solved. Enjoy your cruise.

Again, thank You all for the help. It means a lot that so many people offered me help.

There are some things I can not wear that would be lightweight. Bathing suits, shorts, tanks and cover ups are not heavy at all, but I'm not lucky enough to be able to wear them. I want to go to the pool and beach so bad, but there are reasons why I can't.

I like clothes. I like to change clothes for dinner. I also am plus sized. I am sorry you don't feel you can go to the beach or pool and I hope it's not just because of your size. Not intending to pry at all, but just to assure you that no one really cares.

At any rate...back to liking clothes...what I did was buy myself a new suitcase. It is a step above carryon size and it only weighs 8 lbs when empty. Tada! So much more weight available for what I want to bring. I hate having a really heavy and bulky carryon so this new suitcase allows me to pack my shoes too.

I am leaving Friday morning for an 11 day cruise, plus 1 extra day, and I can't get my luggage under 50 pounds! I'm not a small lady, and I can not wear tiny clothes, like shorts and tank tops. I have 8 evening sundresses or dressier Capri sets, 3 dressier outfits for formal nights, and 12 daytime Capri pants and tops for daywear. Throw in the shoes, and other garments, and I'm still at 64 pounds, even though I've taken out some things. My carry on bag is stuffed also. I'm solo this time, so I can't throw stuff in DH bag. How can I scale down, and still have enough to wear? I don't wear the shorter length dresses. Since I love to eat in the main dining room, I like to dress nicely in the evenings. Help! :) I may be "INCHARGE" of how I handle my life setbacks, but I'm sure a mess with this packing thing!

I take very few shoes with me on a cruise basically just enough to be color coordinated but not enough to have a different pair with each outfit. So no matter how long the cruise I will carry one pair of cream colored sandals, one pair of black sandals, one pair of walking shoes, and one pair of ocean shoes. Then on slacks, jeans or capris, I tend to wear the bottoms with more than one top. No one really notices if you're wearing the same pair of black capris if you have a different shirt with it every time they see you. These actions decrease the heaviest articles of clothing which are pants and shoes. Also decrease the size of your toiletries to what you actually use in a 10 day time. Like for instance I do not wash my hair with shampoo every day for 10 days or my hair would be so dry it would break off but I do use conditioner every single day. So I take a big bottle of conditioner with me on a long cruise but I take only a tiny travel container of shampoo. I also assure you that most people on a cruise that is longer than 7 days duration will re-wear items in the evenings so you do not necessarily need to bring a different dress for every single night. I also make it a point to put my heaviest items in my carry-on suitcase such that my carry on basically contains electronics, shoes, jewelry, medications, and an emergency supply of other items such as one bathing suit, one extra set of underwear, one nightgown, makeup bag, and one pair of capris and a blouse. I always wear long pants and a blouse when traveling so in the event my luggage is lost and I only have my carry on that leaves me with at least 1 pair of capris and the long pants I'm wearing. My luggage was once lost prior to a seven day cruise and I went an entire week with only the contents of a backpack which with what I was wearing included was 2 outfits, two pairs of underwear, jewelry and a pair of sandals. And you know what? Most people never noticed that my luggage has been lost! People are much more interested in what THEY are wearing than in what YOU are wearing!

Edited by Jana60

If you are going solo, who cares about so many outfits. I dress down now that I go solo. People on board could care less.

So, if you're solo (or single) you shouldn't care what you wear? It's 2015, not 1955. Some of us are solo (and single) by choice. I dress to please me, not anyone else. Certainly not a mate (or potential one). :rolleyes: I happen to be cruising with a friend this time but I'm often solo. It has absolutely no impact on what I pack. I dress for dinner every night on every cruise.

Stop it! It doesn't matter what size you wear. I'm lucky in that I have "thin genes" but I still dress for my body (5'10" and not so thin any more at my age). I don't wear shorts just because I've never liked them. But I don't worry about what anyone else thinks I should wear or not wear.

As everyone has said, no, you absolutely do not need a separate top/bottom combo for every day and every evening. We have 8 port days so you don't need many on-the-ship daytime outfits. I take 2 or 3 pairs of capris and mix and match; re-wear the capris in ports with a different tops. In fact, I don't own any "outfits" per se. All separates. I'm lucky in that I'm tall and I can wear maxi dresses. I wear one to dinner one night and then around the ship the next day. You literally can roll it into a ball an not have wrinkles.

I packed for 14 nights to Hawaii with 4 formal nights and didn't do laundry. Black slacks are your friend for casual evenings with different tops.

I won't pack until Thursday afternoon. I just bought lightweight hardside luggage (for my Vista Inaugural, really), so this will be a test of sorts. Yes, I'm bringing three elegant/formal outfits.

Whatever you bring, you'll be fine. And you'll look great.

See you soon! :D

So, if you're solo (or single) you shouldn't care what you wear? It's 2015, not 1955. Some of us are solo (and single) by choice. I dress to please me, not anyone else. Certainly not a mate (or potential one). :rolleyes: I happen to be cruising with a friend this time but I'm often solo. It has absolutely no impact on what I pack. I dress for dinner every night on every cruise.

Stop it! It doesn't matter what size you wear. I'm lucky in that I have "thin genes" but I still dress for my body (5'10" and not so thin any more at my age). I don't wear shorts just because I've never liked them. But I don't worry about what anyone else thinks I should wear or not wear.

As everyone has said, no, you absolutely do not need a separate top/bottom combo for every day and every evening. We have 8 port days so you don't need many on-the-ship daytime outfits. I take 2 or 3 pairs of capris and mix and match; re-wear the capris in ports with a different tops. In fact, I don't own any "outfits" per se. All separates. I'm lucky in that I'm tall and I can wear maxi dresses. I wear one to dinner one night and then around the ship the next day. You literally can roll it into a ball an not have wrinkles.

I packed for 14 nights to Hawaii with 4 formal nights and didn't do laundry. Black slacks are your friend for casual evenings with different tops.

I won't pack until Thursday afternoon. I just bought lightweight hardside luggage (for my Vista Inaugural, really), so this will be a test of sorts. Yes, I'm bringing three elegant/formal outfits.

Whatever you bring, you'll be fine. And you'll look great.

See you soon! :D

See ya Saturday! I have narrowed my clothes down to exactly what you said. I will wear things twice. :D

You and I will probably be seeing eye to eye, because I used to be 5'10", but I think I have shrunk as I've gotten older.

I had to pack early because there was a change to my travel plan. Originally I was going to be leaving from home on Friday, but now we are driving to Alabama tonight, and I will catch a plane from Atlanta. With this change, my bags have to be ready, along with a separate small bag for my stay in Alabama. I'm glad I'm retired, and can roll with the flow on these last minute changes. :D

Edited by INCHARGE

I'm on Southwest so don't need to worry about baggage fees. I always think I have my bag stuffed and then when I get to the airport, their scale shows it's about 30 pounds. This is a test to see how much I can get into the 25" bag and not go over. Of course, that assumes I can still lift a 50# bag! :o

And I want to see if my 21" bag will actually fit in the overhead bin. If it doesn't, no risk of having pay to check it.

This luggage is lighter than my American Tourister but heavier than my off-brand cheapo stuff.

Safe travels! I'm flying to Orlando early Friday afternoon and staying there; getting a shuttle to Port Canaveral in the morning.

See ya Saturday! I have narrowed my clothes down to exactly what you said. I will wear things twice. :D

You and I will probably be seeing eye to eye, because I used to be 5'10", but I think I have shrunk as I've gotten older.

I had to pack early because there was a change to my travel plan. Originally I was going to be leaving from home on Friday, but now we are driving to Alabama tonight, and I will catch a plane from Atlanta. With this change, my bags have to be ready, along with a separate small bag for my stay in Alabama. I'm glad I'm retired, and can roll with the flow on these last minute changes. :D

Glad to hear you were able to reduce your luggage somewhat. Did you leave room for souvenirs? :D

Edited by SadieN

There is no reason to take that many cloths........in 36 cruises I've never noticed if someone wore something twice.

I'm going on a B2B in February and I have to fly this time, but I will still only take the cloths I would take on a 7 day cruise.

Even though I'm Diamond and have free laundry, I prefer to do my own when needed.

Same here. I don't notice what people wear.

Really? But you will still need more than 7 changes of clothes, right? I also don't notice what others wear twice either. But I do love watching the outfits people wear, especially on elegant night! I love it!

We sailed 13 days on Legend through the Panama Canal in August 2014. We brought enough clothing for four days and sent laundry to be washed every other day. (We're Platinum so we each had six bags laundered for free.) We purchased inexpensive clothing that was washable and dryable and re-wore them. (I was expecting them to be ruined but they're still in excellent condition three cruises later.) We didn't care that people saw us in repeat clothing.

I assume you're concerned about luggage weight because you are flying to the port, right?

We sailed 13 days on Legend through the Panama Canal in August 2014. We brought enough clothing for four days and sent laundry to be washed every other day. (We're Platinum so we each had six bags laundered for free.) We purchased inexpensive clothing that was washable and dryable and re-wore them. (I was expecting them to be ruined but they're still in excellent condition three cruises later.) We didn't care that people saw us in repeat clothing.

I assume you're concerned about luggage weight because you are flying to the port, right?

Carnival's laundry is great, always comes back in a timely manner.

Hi there! Yes, I'm flying in. So far I should be good now. I finally got the bag down, but my carry on is stuffed! I will be having things laundered also.

Glad to hear you were able to reduce your luggage somewhat. Did you leave room for souvenirs? :D

Lol. No souvenirs! I've been to all of these places so many times, I have brought enough stuff back. The only place I will get a magnet from is St. Croix, because I have never been there, and I collect magnets.