North America and Caribbean Sailings

AZMembergs

We had a mail shot in the UK a couple of days ago, and I just booked the 11 day Caribbean cruise from San Juan departing January 16. We had such a good time on Viking Star on the Empires of the Mediterranean cruise from Venice to Istanbul that we could not resist booking again, especially when they through in the Silver Spirits drinks package and included gratuities.

The only down side is there is no no stop flight from the UK to san Juan, so will get in late on day one, so will probably fly in early so will be looking for advice on where to stay in due course.

Stayed in a PV cabin previously, but this time have booked a basic V cabin and saved almost £2400 between the two of us, I think the saving makes up for a little less space, a replenished mini-bar and restaurants and excursion booking priorities.

Neil

PV's are priced at £3,640 per person including flights from the UK, and currently include gratuities and the silver drinks package.

I assume your US pricing is a per person price, else I may be cancelling and looking for a US based TA!

Neil

PV's are priced at £3,640 per person including flights from the UK, and currently include gratuities and the silver drinks package.

I assume your US pricing is a per person price, else I may be cancelling and looking for a US based TA!

Neil

Our price was arrived at by the following:

$5,599 per person for the PV1 cabin.

We were given a $200 per person discount for being on a Previous cruise and a $500 person promotional discount for booking by Nov 30 of this year.

We were also able to apply a $2,369 Voucher from Viking we received per person for the one of the ill fated cruises that had major engine problems.

Without the vouchers plus the free airfare, we probably won't have booked the cruise.

I am hoping that Viking will offer up these new itineraries in some 'back to back' options with pricing to reflect the attractiveness of booking longer cruises - we enjoyed that type of option on the Star Barcelona-Stockholm earlier this year.

Also hoping that they expand the 2017 itineraries on this side of The Pond!

Very happy to see these new options showing up!

• 1 month later...

We are also looking at the 11 day from San Juan, for either Jan/Feb of 2017. We didn't even know Viking had ocean ships and got their latest catalog and wow, this itinerary looks amazing!

After researching the ship I'm blown away...we've always sailed mainstream lines but this is a 20th anniversary for us so we want it to be special! (Side question- we are mid 40's and hoping there will be some young-at-heart folks on this cruise...)

That said, are Viking cruises only booked through Viking? I know TA's can't be named, but I haven't been able to find many online TA's that list these new cruises. Are there any savings to be had looking for a TA, or is it best just to book through Viking?

Thanks in advance!

We are also looking at the 11 day from San Juan, for either Jan/Feb of 2017. We didn't even know Viking had ocean ships and got their latest catalog and wow, this itinerary looks amazing!

After researching the ship I'm blown away...we've always sailed mainstream lines but this is a 20th anniversary for us so we want it to be special! (Side question- we are mid 40's and hoping there will be some young-at-heart folks on this cruise...)

That said, are Viking cruises only booked through Viking? I know TA's can't be named, but I haven't been able to find many online TA's that list these new cruises. Are there any savings to be had looking for a TA, or is it best just to book through Viking?

Thanks in advance!

We always book thru our travel agent.

Benefit is having someone to contact/watch out for us and our family should they or we need assist while cruising.

Our experience(s) with Viking have been wonderful... 4 river, 1 Ocean so far.

Enjoy... you will find comfortable mix of ages.

Edited by coasters

I was just looking at that West Indies Explorer cruise.... it looks great! We generally only plan about 6 months out but for this one would do December 2016 or January 2017. I'm going to look around and see if I can find a TA that might sweeten the pot! Once my DH agrees on that cruise, that is :)

After sailing on the Star for 29 days earlier this year, we would absolutely love to - and will - sail her again. We also loved our rivers cruise - the employees and crews are top drawer. The ships well designed and top drawer.

And yes, we use a travel agent for a number of reason when booking - as others have stated.

We are watching closely for a hoped for increase of offerings in North America/Carribean (how about South America too Viking)!

Thanks in advance!

We have a TA who gives 15% off of Viking's prices.

How can Viking sail in North America when they don't allow disabled persons using any kind of mobility device on their ships? The US Supreme Court mandated in a 2005 decision that any cruise ship sailing out of a US port, must accommodate the disabled. But now, knowing Viking's attitude towards the disabled, I just don't know how they can get away with sailing here.

Dear Darcie,

Our ocean ships are equipped with two ADA cabins and guests who require the use of a wheelchair are permitted to bring their own collapsible wheelchair onboard. To ensure the safety and comfort of all our guests, motorized scooters are not permitted. The weight and size of motorized scooters can be difficult to manage on a Viking vessel and various circumstances, including weather and port accessibility, can make usage nearly impossible.

We appreciate the opportunity to clarify the ways in which we do comply with the ADA. Should you have any specific questions related to this topic, we would be happy to hear from you at TellUs@vikingcruises.com.

Kind regards,

Viking Cruises

How can Viking sail in North America when they don't allow disabled persons using any kind of mobility device on their ships? The US Supreme Court mandated in a 2005 decision that any cruise ship sailing out of a US port, must accommodate the disabled. But now, knowing Viking's attitude towards the disabled, I just don't know how they can get away with sailing here.

just an fyi ......We booked both our Sept15 Med Odyssey and now our Feb 15, 2017 PR - PR cruises directly with Viking and I couldn't be happier with their agents. They called us to ask a question of our Med trip, verifying the extension we made!

• 3 months later...

Thanks in advance!

I booked the Viking Star, West Indies Explorer sailing Oct 18, 2016 last week did it through Viking. They were absolutely great. Book it through them, you will be satisfied.

WAPAVO

You can find savings worth that are your time to research, for sure, through some travel agencies. I have also dealt directly with Viking - who were also great to work through. With Viking the pricing is whatever the current published promotion is.

Edited by Vineyard View

You can find savings worth that are your time to research, for sure, through some travel agencies. I have also dealt directly with Viking - who were also great to work through. With Viking the pricing is whatever the current published promotion is.

I agree. You can book directly with Viking or use a TA who gives a huge discount off the published promotion.

I agree. You can book directly with Viking or use a TA who gives a huge discount off the published promotion.

Wait..Is it really possible that a Travel Agent can get you a discount more than Viking direct will offer in the United States? I delt with a TA when I booked my ocean cruise and very much regret it..she got the massive commission for doing nothing and now Viking does not want to talk to me when I have the simplest of questions that my TA does not understand. I am still trying to figure out in this day and age with the internet what use a TA serves...never again..deal with Viking directly is my advice..I don't need a TA to tell me something I could learn by spending 5 minutes online

• 7 months later...

I like to deal with Viking directly. You are usually given the best cabins. We just booked the South American cruise for February 2018. Took the veranda guaranteed cabin. If anyone is taking the November 2017 cruise, I would be interested in knowing how it is.

You may book with them directly and think you are getting the best cabins but I doubt it. A TA will save you 15%. Add it up. The cabins are blocked as they are booked. I have booked with a TA for all of my cruises...ocean and river...and I've saved a ton of money. Probably 50 cruises by now. Truly, do your research and save some money.

I like to deal with Viking directly. You are usually given the best cabins. We just booked the South American cruise for February 2018. Took the veranda guaranteed cabin. If anyone is taking the November 2017 cruise, I would be interested in knowing how it is.

Booking with Viking directly does not give you the best cabins or the best price. My TA also gives a 15% discount. I have been on several Viking cruises (ocean and river) and we always get the cabin we want.

Edited by Carol From California

Thanks in advance!

In my experience, it is always best to book thru a TA. Haven't found one yet where you can't get a discount or included credits, perks, etc.

They do allow mobility devices, wheelchairs. And they have ADA cabins , two I believe. They don't need to provide for electrical mobility devices. If you are I tested in cruises that allow electrical mobility devices, they are out there