Next generation princess ship suggestions?

I'd like to see Public Toilets near each bank of elevators, so often (in the first few days) you need a map and compass to find one, whereas if they were in the same location on every deck on every ship, life would be so much better.

ABSOLUTELY! I'm luckily not yet so blind-still have 10% vision and some good magnifying monocular lenses for my use, that I CAN find an elevator. In unfamiliar places I do need instruction the 1st time, then I can usually manage quite well!

Also THANK YOU for discreetly prompting me to regularly review the Golden Princess Deck Plans, noting especially for use when I'm out and about on the ship, where I need to go to find a Handicapped Accessible Ladies Room. I'm trying to relate it to a shop or a bar that is quite easily identifiable, so I am more relaxed about finding 1 should I need 1 without panicking about being in time IYKWIM?

I've been able to help visitors to my home town find the "facilities" by telling them which shops to look for, and the Ladies is down the arcade between the shops and on the right as you go past the last shop. They were amazed, and I laughed, "That's 1 question I know the answer by heart, and the quickest and easiest access too! The Gents is the other end of the building if your husbands need it." Which, from the look on his face, 1 gentleman did, he went off up the arcade quite happily.

Hello fellow cruisers' date='

I came across this article about Carnival Corp's plans for new ships (http://www.travelpulse.com/news/cruise/carnival-contracts-for-four-next-generation-cruise-ships.html). I was curious what features everyone would like to see that is currently missing on the Princess Fleet?

Here are my top suggestions:

1. More multi-bedroom suites that can accommodate up to ~20 people (all the grandkids or a group trip!). I would hate to have to board in the next cabin. :eek:

2. Underwater viewing glass window (thick pane of glass on one of the decks below water) What would you expect to see except lots of nothing.

3. Dueling piano bar. Where could that find another Perry? :p

4. Petting zoo. Only if I could eat them.:rolleyes:

5. Sledding at sea indoor snow room - I think Norwegian may be onto something. This would go over big with people from Canada I'm sure.:rolleyes:(http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2015/10/25/snow-room-norwegian-escape/74580272/)

:):)

I am a lover of the small ships. There are things the small ships have that the large ones don't. The library on the little ladies is a place of beauty and peace. Lots of books, puzzles, comfy seating, and far away from the noisier areas of the ship.

The fantail deck at the back of the Panorama buffet. There are always about a half a dozen or so of us early birds out there watching the sunrise. Close to the food and the waiters are very attentive so there is no reason to miss a second of the glory of sea and sky.

I would also like the full circle promenade deck. The little ladies do have a walking track on deck 10, but the ship's motion is often too much up there for me to walk with an even gait. So I walk back and forth on the promenade on deck 5, but it would be nice to go all the way around.

Linda

Now, this one is not about ship design but about passenger needs. I would like to see more attention paid to those of us who can't have large amounts of sugar. How about sugar free ginger ale, sugar free syrups in the IC, sugar free jello?

Smaller ships

Some single cabins

A forward facing lounge on one of the top decks

Buffet aft with a covered outside seating area

Wide promenade decks with loungers/chairs

Sit down Alfredos pizzeria on all ships

a forward observation deck without a windscreen to ruin photos

wind breaks on the lido deck at entrance/exit to buffet spaces

Smaller ships

Some single cabins

A forward facing lounge on one of the top decks

Buffet aft with a covered outside seating area

Wide promenade decks with loungers/chairs

Sit down Alfredos pizzeria on all ships

a forward observation deck without a windscreen to ruin photos

wind breaks on the lido deck at entrance/exit to buffet spaces

Aim higher - go for the menu on the Sun Class pizzerias!

1) Good shows in the main theater PLEASE.

2) Stop with the high pressure sales tactics in the spa.

3) More specialty dining options.

4) Please stop with the MUTS all day I can't hear myself think, and pretty much nobody wants to watch Genesis in concert.

5) Put some hot tubs and a bar in the Sanctuary and make more shady areas.

6) Warm those pools up! One could die of hypothermia in there.

A few quick thoughts, may have more after I ponder this for awhile...

- Expand the Sanctuary concept to include a section of cabins, located near/adjacent to the Sanctuary space. (similar in concept to the Haven or Spa categories on other lines)

- Others mention a Crowsnest type of venue, simply relocate the Skywalkers forward and allow it to double as both daytime lounge environment and nighttime it becomes a dance venue.

- Bring the Piazza up several levels, instead of relegated to decks 5/6/7 – move it up so it’s on 9/8/7 or so, leveraging deck 7 for a full promenade (or maybe multiple decks for promenade as on grand class).

- Offer watersports from the ship, utilize space on lower deck to create a ‘sea platform’ where guests could use jet-skis, sailboats, etc while tendered or in ports.

- Create a true outdoor BBQ venue on an upper deck, real wood smokers or charcoal grilling.

- Figure a way to create a ‘moving walkway’ on one deck – maybe in segments. Simply a way to help those that are mobility challenged a method to traverse the length of the ship. Even I struggle with the thought of walking the entire length of the ship repeatedly at times.

- USB charge ports in cabins at desk/counter space.

- Audio/Visual interface on cabin TV's - USB, HDMI and analog ports for passengers to connect whatever.

- AUX input in cabins to allow passengers to connect media players to play over the in-cabin speakers.

- Mount the cabin phone on the wall - free up the desk/counterspace.

- Wall sconces at bedside, free up the bedside tables.

- Incorporate the wristband concept as RCI has. For everything from cabin access, charges/purchases and scanning on/off the ship when in port.

Love these ideas! Some i wouldnt take advantage of, but some (USB, etc. ports and sconces) are great! I would love a wristband technology ala Disney (didnt know they have them on RCI) instead of cruisecard.

How about something no one in the major cruise industry is doing, SMALLER SHIPS

Thank you. 3600 is bad enough can't imagine 5 or 6 thousand.

And while they are at it bring back the center staircase and ocean view rooms. Also you would think with all of the innovations someone would think to add a night light in the bathroom and a charging station on the desk. How many threads have to be posted about bringing power strips and night lights before these designers get the hint? It's the 21 century nobody should have to shlep these things from home.

Edited by Iamcruzin

Amazing how many want smaller ships..

Wonder if Princess is listening?

It isn't surprising to me. A majority of us cruise to visit the ports. The larger the ship the more difficult it is to get to areas that can't support these large monster ships. The cruise industry is making the ship the destination. If I wanted an amusement park, shopping mall experience I would just stay home. I don't want to tender along with 6000 passengers to some been their done that port of call. If they continue to build these theme park ships I will just do land trips and give up on cruising. Adventurually the ports of call will be so over crowded with passengers that it will diminish the experience but I guess they haven't thought that far ahead yet. When skirts got as short as they could and jeans couldn't get any tighter they grew and expanded them again. My guess is that when the market can't support the large builds and they have to discount to fill the ships the size of the ship will shrink.

Edited by Iamcruzin

It isn't surprising to me. A majority of us cruise to visit the ports. The larger the ship the more difficult it is to get to areas that can't support these large monster ships. The cruise industry is making the ship the destination. If I wanted an amusement park, shopping mall experience I would just stay home. I don't want to tender along with 6000 passengers to some been their done that port of call. If they continue to build these theme park ships I will just do land trips and give up on cruising.

I'm a small ship fan too, pretty much for the reasons you state.

But even when the ship IS the destination I still prefer the more personal feel of the small ships, the service, getting to know other PAX etc.

They probably are, however, I believe that they don't make the cruiseline any money. So hard to spend all that on a ship that not going to cover the costs.

I think they could. They were making money in 1997 when I started cruising.

I think many of us would be willing to spend 20% more (or more) to get a smaller ship.

There are a bunch of lines that cost about the same and then several luxury lines. I think there is room for something that is "above the mass lines but not the cost of the luxury lines".

I think Princess made a decision many years ago to be a mass line over a premium line. I wish they had gone premium.

Edited by Coral

And to me a small ship is under 1000 PAX.

Preferably about half that.

Sounds about right to me too. By smaller for me, the little girls are okay for a lot of things and I've sailed my fair share on them but it lacks in a few areas. My 80 YO mom sailing as a solo found very little to do on her own. Let's face it, if you can't self entertain yourself you are very limited for shipboard activities.

The thing I like the least on the little girls is the restaurant. They had those tables shoved so close together that you could never have a personal conversation. I was amazed at how the servers got in between with food and didn't drop anything. It doesn't do much good to have a table for two if those other two tops are like eating at the same table.

For me, the size of the ship I like is around 2,500 to 3,000 people. I really don't like sailing on anything bigger and I sure will never (I know, never say never) sail on those huge ones with wave riders, skating rinks or "parks". I don't need to be entertained, nor do my kids, to that level. The waves, sights and sounds of the ocean are a great entertainment center for me.

When I'm on a ship I want the things that go with a ship not an amusement park. As I'm reading the suggestions it just goes to show there are a lot of people that want the "good old days" ships back. We don't have to be in an ice age so, ya, we want the stuff for our newest toys like the adapters, fancy TVs and easy access to computers etc. We want to be able to get good food, served with the flair of old and not have to pay extra for it.

Haven't heard about Island Princess being sold. When did that happen? So soon after a major refit??

:cool:

Princess re-uses a lot of their ship names. The 3 original Princess ships that made the line famous during the "Love Boat" years were the Pacific Princess, Sun Princess and Island Princess.